06-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Post 1M vs. M3 (Design Discussion Only)

Well we all know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I really am interested in what people think of the 1M design. What they like, don't like specifically! I have grown tired of hearing that the 1M is "ugly" or M3 FTW, without any real substance to the claims. Especially when there is so many similar design elements between the 2 cars. So discuss, keep it clean and please no insults.

I chose the red and orange, because I felt like black was too dark for comparison(hiding details) and white was too light(hiding the surface curves).

Name:  1MvsM3orngRed.jpg
Views: 5939
Size:  83.4 KB
      06-28-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

I actually prefer the 1M aesthetically all around. With the car being shorter, the accents such as fender flares, bumper openings, and body lines make the car look much more muscular in contrast to the M3. Also, the M3 looks too long/heavy in comparison - which to me looks too "vanilla". The 1M looks like a devilish thing ready to kick some booty, while the M3 looks too refined and mature. By no means am I bashing the M3, I actually love the car, but I do prefer the 1M which is why I ordered one.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Raine
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60

1M stands out more. I love the aggressiveness and flow of the lines.
      06-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Front - M3
Back - 1M
Side - Either..I never liked the 'volume' of car behind the drivers seat of the E92.

End of the day they are both great!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Whteverjklasdf
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

the 2 Ms in those pictures are not to scale. Misleading!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
the 2 Ms in those pictures are not to scale. Misleading!
My intent was not to be misleading. That is why I used the pictures straight from BMWUSA.com The side view shows about a 4-6" larger wheelbase on the M3. I know it is not exact, but for the purpose of discussion and a side-by-side comparison, I thought this would be the most fair approach.
      06-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #7
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
M3: Looks lower, sleeker, sexier, more of a universally appealing design.

1M: Looks bolder, boxier, somewhat odd and bulgy in the same sense as a Z3 M Coupe, more of a love it or hate it design.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
IMO, both are fantastic.
M3 is more elegant and sophisticated in looks and appeal, while 1M is more muscular and hardcore, less 'sleeper' looking in appearance.

+1

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Literally a month ago I was cross shopping the Audi B9 S4 and the Porsche Cayman S to complement my DD A4. I used to have an E34 535i but the coming of Chris Bangle and the subsequently mangled Bimmer lineup had completely turned me off BMW.

In fact, my brother (who has an E46 330ci) and I would have endless 'discussions' on Audi vs BMW and how the roundel was losing ground to the competition in a bad way. Just last year I mocked him for being so excited about the 135i because he was thinking of replacing his E46 with one.

Then I started seeing the reviews of the 1M start popping up on my favorite car blogs (AutoBlog, Jalopnik) and the thing that struck me first was how this thing looked. It's no 458 Italia but it has serious presence. If this car were a member of the X-Men, it would definitely be Wolverine. Squat, powerful and muscular with a nasty attitude. You can almost imagine the 1M saying to itself (as Logan likes to say) "I'm the best there is at what I do. But what I do best isn't very nice".

The M3 is a pretty car like a Labrador. The 1M is a Pitbull. I happen to prefer Pitbulls.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #10
PyratOne
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe (Not an M1!)

Agreed, both are beautiful. I actually prefer the M3 sedan over the M3 coupe.

BUT, LOVE the looks of the 1M.

the 135 is polarizing, I remember early on folks either love or hate it. I was in the love category. When my wife bought an X3 back in 2007/2008 I test drove a 135 and alomst immediately I asked the associate "will there be an M version of this???"

particular aspects I can appreciate
1) the wiiiiiddde stance - just love that aggressiveness.
2) shorter, more compact length.
3) the potbelly!!!!
4) that front intake bumper setup

this car is short, wide, and mean - kinda like me. Except Im more fat than muscle.

Dont like:
1) the air scoops in back
2) dented front/side fender with M emblem - looks forced and nonfunctional

for M3
like almost everything about the sedan!
The coupe to me just has the "too long" appearance.
Love the hood bulge!
Love the front bumper/intake.

The front end of both cars looks to me like angry dude clinching teeth.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

The only thing I never liked about the 135 were the headlights, this new brow has fixed that. As far as the 1M im still not sure about the rear, might be those 2 buldges above the rear diffuser/valence. Something makes it look blocky (135 doesnt have this look) and the VO enhances it more than the AW or BSM. One other thing on the sideview is the 1M seems to have more of an "underbite" compared to a regular 1 series, reminds me more bulldog less pitbull.

I LOVE the M3 rear, the front is too round and does remind me of a Pontiac. The car is too long and I do agree with the previous poster the sedan is more attractive overall, but the rear of the coupe is gorgeous.

I dont like the sideview mirrors of either, the sleek 2008 135 mirrors would look better IMO
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #12
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

The stance of the 1M is perfect. Its aesthetics are much better appreciated in person, particularly the fender flares which I love. The front is nice and the proportions I really like though I know this is polarizing.

I also much prefer M3 sedan to M3 coupe and agree the M coupe is just too elongated. I also do not think the M3 is aggressive enough for its performance. When I think of other lines that have appropriate variation in the lineup, Porsche stands out. I really love the variations between the stock carrera, carrera s, turbo, gt3 lineup. You can really tell the performance versions mean business where the M3 falls somewhat short. I do wish the 1M had the M3 hood bulge.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #13
hajohehe
Private
Rep
Drives:

they both look like bimmers
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #14
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

I really like both and both catch my eye at present over anything else.........

It was a toss up for us for either M car as our initiation to the BMW marque but there is just something about the 1M that drew us in, just something I can't put my finger on and it one us over, but would have been just as happy having been behind the wheel of a M3 looking over that bulging bonnet.

Both cars have their appeal to me and if you have both parked in your garage then you will be a happy chappy no doubt.....

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 06-29-2011 at 03:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:10 AM   #15
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

I've sat and looked at my 1M for a while on and off. I really like the looks. It has, what I missed on my M3. I like the "on steroids" look, that some detest. My M3 was too clean, too understated. With the exception of the CF roof. And that is the only feature I really miss. Not only because of the looks, but because it just kept the car cooler, when you left the car in the blazing sun all day.

I honestly don't like the design evolution the M3 has taken. The M330 had things added to the stock 3series body to make it a race car. NOT to give it race car looks, but to actually be able to race those components. With the M336 that disappeared completely, with the exception of the last Evos and the GTR, but when can one actually see one of those? With the M346 it was fairly clear, that it was an M, with the CSL it was obvious, even to a moron. And then came the M39x. The looks didn't get me hooked, the engine did.

When I saw the first pictures of the 1M though, it had me. That design (and the tech data sheet) was what made me write my order mail to my dealer at 2:00h in the morning. On the very day, the very first official pictures were released. Yes, it was the looks. And that look is not just looks, either. No chance to fit the axles on the car otherwise.

To me the 1M is a clear relative of the M346. There are angles of the car, where you think you're looking at an M346 and I loved that look. But then again, it has its own "face" and body. It's not just a copy of something.

I don't know... I could go on all day, but I couldn't say why exactly I like what I see every morning. I just do. And that's the main thing!
      06-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #16
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
to me the m3e92 is still the most beautiful car especially the front section headlights/hood bulge

it looks so compact and wide in person...

but when i first saw the 1M in person at the welt... i found it is even more compact and wide - almost seemed like an entire different car to me when compared to the m-package-135i next to it... could have told me it is the new 2series

a friend laughed and said: this 1M is so short and wide it is almost square

another one said: the 1series front section looks like a beak from a duck???

i think the 1M looks even more aggressive than the m3 and i like that- it is exactly how i want it to look

dont know how to put it but the m3 is still the most beautiful somehow - but just the m3 not the regular e92s

edit:
so what i like specifically:
1M stance, compactness - overall aggressiveness
M3: headlights, hood bulge, cf roof, rear bumper with mesh

enjoy your cars

Last edited by evolution80; 06-29-2011 at 05:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:49 AM   #17
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Both are fantastic cars. BMW did a great job with new 1M and from a design perspective I would have only added the more aggressive hood (ala Clockwork Orange) to finish out the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:59 AM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I like both a lot so if I was to choose between the them I wouldn't give any favoritism towards looks. If anything the Id give the edge to the 1M because it's a newer body. I'd always pick the 1M for too many other reasons though. The M3 is a very hot BMW though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #19
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Thanks for posting up the comparison images.

I've always thought the 1-series body style to look a bit stubby. The 1M body design improves the many of the features that contributed to the stubby look.
What I still don't like about the 1M body design (1-Series as well) is the droop along the lower portion of the sides. I think if that line was straight, I'd stop thinking stubby.
I like the 1M body design much more than the regular 1-Series.

The E92 body style is growing on me a bit. I still don't like the E9x interior design, and probably never will.

Both of these cars are very good looking; oh, and performing!
The significant paradigm shift for me is the transition from naturally aspirated to turbo-charged force induction powerplants. Two very different driving experiences to me. I understand the market/government/environmental forces that are driving the shift.

At this point in time, I still like the ///M naturally aspirated experience best.
However, I will admit that forced induction push is addictive. I will also say that there will be more to go awry with forced induction engines in the long run.

I look forward to reading about the next generation of ///M cars (not the SUVs, but the Coupes!).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Here is what is very similar or SAME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajohehe View Post
they both look like bimmers
EXACTLY! They share many design elements! Which is why I was motivated to start this thread. Some peoples threshold between beautiful and ugly is apparently very narrow or it just seems like they have an ax to grind. It is one thing to have a preference, but I think when some go as far as calling the 1M hideous?

So far, some good observations here guys!

Name:  sameDesign.JPG
Views: 883
Size:  83.3 KB
      06-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #21
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Gotta like that M3 power bulge. It puts Anthony Wiener to shame.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #22
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Gotta like that M3 power bulge. It puts Anthony Wiener to shame.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread