BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
TL 1M
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Views on 1M Brakes ?

After the views/opinions thus far on the brake package (same as M3 I believe ) on the 1M.

Those that have tracked the car, how have they held up after some solid punishment?. Would you upgrade ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

For street use they will be for looks. Even for DE use I wouldn't upgrade. I replaced my fluid, switched my pads, and stood on the brakes all day in near 100 degree temps (road atlanta) without one sign of fade. The only time I would consider it is if I were going racing. Even then I think the brakes are probably sufficient.
I did get some wiggle from the rear end under threshold braking at high speed and had ABS come on quite a few times throughout the day.
      07-15-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

My personal brake test so far: four laps Nordschleife. About 5 minutes between laps to keep everything nice and warm. Stock pads, stock fluid. No fading, no problems.

The 1Ms brake bias leans to the front wheels, whereby that of the M3 is more neutral, locking the rear wheels before it locks the front.

Would I upgrade? To what? A brake system that is less effective? No. Why should I? Compare the 1Ms (and/or M3s) brake performance in car tests to that of i.e. Porsches and you will see, that the M3s brakes are very effective. People that try to tell you, that anything that isn't six-piston won't brake, will also tell you, that our planet is a disc and you can fall over the edge if you sail too far.
      07-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #4
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Stock everything and after some track use in really hot outside ambient temperatures there was no difference in their performance on the track compared to the road.

Brakes are really superb.

The only measurable difference would be that pedal travel increased a bit following a track day; however the bite is still there!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
blotto649
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '04 996 GT3/'88 911 Carrera

Having only tracked one other car, which is a Mini Cooper S with Super Blue and Ferodo DS2500 pads, I found the stock setup to go a little spongey after many hot laps. I'm a fan of strong initial bite followed a smooth, progressive increase in braking force, and the 1M didn't quite deliver. I second Dan that some better fluid and pads will go a long way to help with overall feel. I also second Dan on the rear end wiggle at high speed - woo, that was fun!

A lot of extra pedal travel when things got hot, which made smooth heel and toe a much bigger challenge for me.

The wads of brake dust left in the rotor holes was impressive
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #6
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blotto649 View Post
Having only tracked one other car, which is a Mini Cooper S with Super Blue and Ferodo DS2500 pads, I found the stock setup to go a little spongey after many hot laps. I'm a fan of strong initial bite followed a smooth, progressive increase in braking force, and the 1M didn't quite deliver. I second Dan that some better fluid and pads will go a long way to help with overall feel. I also second Dan on the rear end wiggle at high speed - woo, that was fun!

A lot of extra pedal travel when things got hot, which made smooth heel and toe a much bigger challenge for me.

The wads of brake dust left in the rotor holes was impressive
what were you mosport laptimes big guy? the other guy and myself were flying around the circuit and i do not recall experiencing any abs
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
For street use they will be for looks. Even for DE use I wouldn't upgrade. I replaced my fluid, switched my pads, and stood on the brakes all day in near 100 degree temps (road atlanta) without one sign of fade. The only time I would consider it is if I were going racing. Even then I think the brakes are probably sufficient.
I did get some wiggle from the rear end under threshold braking at high speed and had ABS come on quite a few times throughout the day.
Exactly how I felt it this Tuesday on circuit "Zolder" in Belgium.
Rear-end seems nervous under hard braking. I was afraid to switch off the DSC completely (I was driving in M mode) because I wasn't sure if the tail would brake out under heavy braking, and if so, any (sleeping/remaining) electronics would counteract this? Or ABS ?

After a few laps, on this brake-intensive circuit, brakes were smoking when entering pits, and stopping distances were getting longer.
I haven't replaced brake fluid, -lining or -pads yet.

For street use, the stock brakes are just great !
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

I think the rear end wiggle is due partly to the amount of front suspension travel. As we all know the suspension sits higher in front and under very hard braking the car dives a lot. I had electronics off 90% of the day and as the day progressed I got used to the rear unloading and wiggling a little. I'm used to my race car which has a lot of downforce so the 1M felt pretty nervous but it never felt like it was going to snap around and I was standing on them in the last 2 sessions. The stock pads on track might as well be sticks of butter.
      07-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #9
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

On the street, no need to upgrade anything. For the track, change the fluid to a nice DOT4 type like Super Blue and change the pads out.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
TL 1M
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Appreciate all the feedback here guys

I was going to look into a 6 piston setup with 380mm fronts and 365mm rear. Pads and fluid are certainly the best option here

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
I think the rear end wiggle is due partly to the amount of front suspension travel.
I would think the LSD would help a ton with this issue compared with a 135i. Did it seem better than that? Does the M Diff lock completely under hard braking (it should)?
      07-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP M3 View Post
On the street, no need to upgrade anything. For the track, change the fluid to a nice DOT4 type like Super Blue and change the pads out.
Change pads out to what? Not sure about that. M3 pads? BMW specifically mentions that the M3 brakes required a special pad for the rear and some recalibration. Slapping some M3 rear pads that will surely fit, might cause more problems. I'm sure with time there might be a pad specifically designed for 1M but I would be careful with the rear pads.

It all sounds good.....all these M engineers spend months balancing the brakes, running professional drivers at the Ring, working with pad manufacturers to come up with a good compound for balance and then we know more then all of them and run out to a speed shop and slap some new pads?

Think about it?

I doubt there are any 1M specific pads out yet.

That's my two cents worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #13
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

change to a track specific pad. I'm going with PFC01 for my next track day.

On my first track day, i had castrol srf brake fluid and stock pads. The pads work great for a while, then it starts to fade. High speed hard braking and the rear end wiggles a little (happen when full electronics off). Hopefully the track pads will cure the fade.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It all sounds good.....all these M engineers spend months balancing the brakes, running professional drivers at the Ring, working with pad manufacturers to come up with a good compound for balance and then we know more then all of them and run out to a speed shop and slap some new pads?

Think about it?

As you know, M engineers are also trying to balance competing interests in road vs. track use. For road use, you need a pad that is quiet, provides high cold friction, and is kind on rotors at cold temps. For track use you need fade resistance, higher friction, and less compressibility.

From initial accounts, the stock 1M pads are very good all around, but it should surprise no one if they don't stand up to more serious HPDE use or racing.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Change pads out to what? Not sure about that. M3 pads? BMW specifically mentions that the M3 brakes required a special pad for the rear and some recalibration. Slapping some M3 rear pads that will surely fit, might cause more problems. I'm sure with time there might be a pad specifically designed for 1M but I would be careful with the rear pads.

Think about it?

The car is setup for the street. The 1M uses M3 brakes with a very slight change to rear pads which I think is really due to the lighter weight. On track this little change BMW made to the stock pad setup is a nonissue, it's been tested and worked great. The weight balance of the 2 cars is so similar that putting high performance M3 pads on the 1M makes perfect sense to me. The wear from front to rear was very even, and less than I expected.

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Info.../Sponsors.aspx
      07-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
The car is setup for the street. The 1M uses M3 brakes with a very slight change to rear pads which I think is really due to the lighter weight. On track this little change BMW made to the stock pad setup is a nonissue, it's been tested and worked great. The weight balance of the 2 cars is so similar that putting high performance M3 pads on the 1M makes perfect sense to me. The wear from front to rear was very even, and less than I expected.

http://www.bmwccaclubracing.com/Info.../Sponsors.aspx
+1

And I already have a set of PFC-01 pads awaiting the arrival of my 1M.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
ZCP M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M Coupe #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post

Think about it?

Pads with a compound better suited for track use that are designed to fit the 1M. I wasn't trying to advise anyone to go out and buy brakes meant for another car...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

was thinking about brembo's 6 pot and 4 pot 380mm all around, but realized that will most likely never track the car..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #19
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-K View Post
was thinking about brembo's 6 pot and 4 pot 380mm all around, but realized that will most likely never track the car..
Stock brakes are really more than good enough for anyone who doesn't track or race frequently. BUT, I also wanted to see it myself if a bit more initial bite and fade resistance would be even better or instead worsen the balance of the car and recently I ordered StopTech Street Performance Pads and StopTech steel brake lines for 1M, thinking that they would be decent and discreet upgrades for the stock system; they are at home waiting to be installed and will post here if they make it better or worse once installed. Since I modified the CDV and bled the clutch my car is with ATE SuperBlue brake fluid already which did not make any noticeable change for me on street use, for better or for worse. It was simply cheap and easier to use at that time and I did it for that reason, not expecting any miracles.

There are so many better ways than changing to a whole new brake system to spend money on a 1M which doesn't go to heavy track duty imho. And why mess with something that already works good? They may not be the trendiest looking rotors and calipers but 1M brakes are doing top quality job when it comes to slowing down. After all if they can stop a E93 M3 Cabriolet then we are blessed with the same system on 1M.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Stock brakes are really more than good enough for anyone who doesn't track or race frequently. BUT, I also wanted to see it myself if a bit more initial bite and fade resistance would be even better or instead worsen the balance of the car and recently I ordered StopTech Street Performance Pads and StopTech steel brake lines for 1M, thinking that they would be decent and discreet upgrades for the stock system; they are at home waiting to be installed and will post here if they make it better or worse once installed. Since I modified the CDV and bled the clutch my car is with ATE SuperBlue brake fluid already which did not make any noticeable change for me on street use, for better or for worse. It was simply cheap and easier to use at that time and I did it for that reason, not expecting any miracles.

There are so many better ways than changing to a whole new brake system to spend money on a 1M which doesn't go to heavy track duty imho. And why mess with something that already works good? They may not be the trendiest looking rotors and calipers but 1M brakes are doing top quality job when it comes to slowing down. After all if they can stop a E93 M3 Cabriolet then we are blessed with the same system on 1M.

my car has now been on 10 different tracks... three of them very high speed. Texas World Speedway, Mid Ohio, and Circuit of the Americas..

I am seeing 150 mph indicated at the end of the straight on all three courses.. Mid Ohio and COTA are the toughest in that one is braking from 150 mph down to about 40-50 for a slow corner *(turn 12 at COTA and entering madness at mid ohio)

I have used the stock brakes and pads, aftermarket PF-Z street pads, and PFC-01 track pads. Without a doubt, the track pads have better torque and pedal feel and the car stops shorter. However.. the stock setup is EASILY capable of repeated stops, in HIGH TEMPS (90 plus degrees) without fade or drama from an indicated 150 mph down to 50 mph. As rapter indicated, the pedal travel does get a little longer over time but the pedal feel remains and stopping power is still there. I use Castrol SRF fluid.

if more stopping power is needed then get some track pads like the PFC-01 or PFC-08.

upgrading to aftermarket calipers or other brake/rotor combos is completely unneccesary and should only be done for aesthetic reasons.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
my car has now been on 10 different tracks... three of them very high speed. Texas World Speedway, Mid Ohio, and Circuit of the Americas..

I am seeing 150 mph indicated at the end of the straight on all three courses.. Mid Ohio and COTA are the toughest in that one is braking from 150 mph down to about 40-50 for a slow corner *(turn 12 at COTA and entering madness at mid ohio)

I have used the stock brakes and pads, aftermarket PF-Z street pads, and PFC-01 track pads. Without a doubt, the track pads have better torque and pedal feel and the car stops shorter. However.. the stock setup is EASILY capable of repeated stops, in HIGH TEMPS (90 plus degrees) without fade or drama from an indicated 150 mph down to 50 mph. As rapter indicated, the pedal travel does get a little longer over time but the pedal feel remains and stopping power is still there. I use Castrol SRF fluid.

if more stopping power is needed then get some track pads like the PFC-01 or PFC-08.

upgrading to aftermarket calipers or other brake/rotor combos is completely unneccesary and should only be done for aesthetic reasons.
+1. And my car is faster than Mark's

Neil
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #22
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
+1. And my car is faster than Mark's

Neil
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0