BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-26-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Gruppe M intake vs AFE Stage 2 vs all the rest

Hey guys,

Considering a new intake for the 1M. Initially I dismissed the Gruppe M due to price, but after seeing one in person it changed my mind a little. The build quality look superb, and given I'm not planning on moving the car on anytime soon I feel I might be able to justify the cost...maybe.

I've read all the threads on them, but still can't ascertain what sort of induction noise difference they produce. Can anyone shed light on this?

The other option is am AFe Stage 2 dual cone intake. I'd rather not go for something that looks so aftermarket, but I like the semi-enclosed design and it'll definitely add some induction noise. Anyone running one want to share their opinion?

Dinan is out due to modifications needed.

Arma is out as I'm not so sure on the company.

Cheers,

Dane
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:00 AM   #2
nesnah
Private
6
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

ive got the afe dual cone. I expected it to be louder than it is (maybe because i was used to my Gruppe M intake on a previous car i had, or my akra is droning it out abit lol), but i like it, the sound is refined and not over the top.
Didn't feel any difference in response, but i noticed car breathes better in higher rpm.
As for the looks, i also didn't want something looking so aftermarket, but i think it goes well with the engine bay.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2015, 03:11 AM   #3
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Thanks for the quick response Nesnah.

As far as dual cones go, I actually think the AFe looks quite good. Glad to hear the induction isn't over the top either, last think I want is for it to overpower the exhaust. Just looking for a nice balance between induction and exhaust, and if I get a few extra HP or mildly better throttle response out of it I'll be happy.

What did you have the Gruppe M on, and what did you think of it?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #4
nesnah
Private
6
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

You might not feel any difference in response or any power gains without a tune but you should feel in the upper rpms the car does feel like it's pulling better as it's breathing better.

I had the Gruppe M on a Nissan Silvia s15 at the time. It was loud and unique sounding in a way.. I liked it on a JDM but I wouldn't want such a loud induction sound on my 1M.

By the way where abouts are you in Melbourne? Don't see many 1Ms around but when I do majority are AW. Would love to see a VO up close in person
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #5
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

It's interesting, as I would have thought a semi-enclosed dual cone would be much louder than a fully enclosed airbox.

I'm in the South East mate, what about yourself? I think there's a 1M meet being organised in the Vic forum if you're keen. Mine has to go into BMW tomorrow for some diagnosis due to water getting into the boot, so hopefully it's back up and running in time. Would love to see what the AFe sounds like first hand.

I've owned a couple of 180SX's myself, love the S-Chassis
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 11:31 PM   #6
kong24680
Lieutenant
United_States
30
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: Space Grey 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (3)

Forget gruppe m, afe, etc. and get a VRSF or tft inlet system. They run for like 280 new and way more gains. Only downside is install.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:23 AM   #7
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong24680 View Post
Forget gruppe m, afe, etc. and get a VRSF or tft inlet system. They run for like 280 new and way more gains. Only downside is install.
Thanks for the suggestion, but looks way too aftermarket for my likings. Only really interested in bolt-on options at this stage.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
kong24680
Lieutenant
United_States
30
Rep
508
Posts

Drives: Space Grey 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (3)

VTT and rb have silicon inlets that utilize the stock location, but it's more pricey.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #9
totti84
Captain
Australia
47
Rep
992
Posts

Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
I would recommend Dinan CF intake.. half the price of Gruppe M.

If money is no issue, definitely go VTT/RB inlets with Gruppe M intake.. loved mine on my S15!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:50 AM   #10
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

The Dinan is a nice looking bit of kit too, but I can get the Gruppe M for the same money and after seeing one in person I was very impressed by the build quality. I think if I'm spending north of $1500 I'd go that route...it's just deciding if I can justify that cost!

Keen to hear what feedback people may have on the induction sound with one fitted, but seems not a lot of people on here have taken the plunge??
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #11
nesnah
Private
6
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
It's interesting, as I would have thought a semi-enclosed dual cone would be much louder than a fully enclosed airbox.

I'm in the South East mate, what about yourself? I think there's a 1M meet being organised in the Vic forum if you're keen. Mine has to go into BMW tomorrow for some diagnosis due to water getting into the boot, so hopefully it's back up and running in time. Would love to see what the AFe sounds like first hand.

I've owned a couple of 180SX's myself, love the S-Chassis
Im in the East. Yeah i read about that one but not sure if i'll make it.

I recently put on a cp and turbosmart diverter valves and coupled with the afe, the diverter valves, even though plumb back, sometimes makes a additional faint noise too.

as for the Gruppe M, you are really just paying for the design and carbon fibre (but how often do you look under the bonnet), and maybe lower IAT as its closed.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #12
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesnah View Post
Im in the East. Yeah i read about that one but not sure if i'll make it.

I recently put on a cp and turbosmart diverter valves and coupled with the afe, the diverter valves, even though plumb back, sometimes makes a additional faint noise too.

as for the Gruppe M, you are really just paying for the design and carbon fibre (but how often do you look under the bonnet), and maybe lower IAT as its closed.
Well if you ever want to check out my car just drop me a line and we can catch up. Sounds like we're not all that far from each other most likely.

I was going to go the DV route, but the maintenance was a concern. I wanted to 'set and forget', and the Tial seemed to have the best reviews in that regard. I've heard some cars with the Forge DV's on Youtube, and you can definitely still hear them.

The AFe does sound like the smart money, considering the semi-enclosed is $600 as opposed to 2k.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:03 AM   #13
totti84
Captain
Australia
47
Rep
992
Posts

Drives: AW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
The Dinan is a nice looking bit of kit too, but I can get the Gruppe M for the same money and after seeing one in person I was very impressed by the build quality. I think if I'm spending north of $1500 I'd go that route...it's just deciding if I can justify that cost!

Keen to hear what feedback people may have on the induction sound with one fitted, but seems not a lot of people on here have taken the plunge??
Last time I checked Dinan was $1300US and Gruppe M $2300US excluding shipping. Have prices changed??
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by totti84 View Post
Last time I checked Dinan was $1300US and Gruppe M $2300US excluding shipping. Have prices changed??
It's cheaper to buy directly from Japan for us here in OZ. Seems we can get Gruppe M from $2000-$2100 AUD, hence why I'm leaning that way.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:02 AM   #15
Brule
Major
Australia
85
Rep
1,348
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i e92 6sp man
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Darwin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
It's cheaper to buy directly from Japan for us here in OZ. Seems we can get Gruppe M from $2000-$2100 AUD, hence why I'm leaning that way.

The prices are extreme for something that will be out performed by a $99 dual cone setup.

You could buy the tft for cheaper. Especially for US members.

I personally have rb inlets and afe dual cone stage 2 but have always wanted an enclosed setup to reduce iats a bit.

If you like the enclosed oem look why not do a mr5 intake? And add inlets for power? That could be done for 500, then give me 1500.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Yeah, it may be out performed by a Dual Cone, but I'm not interested in having a couple of filters sitting exposed in my engine bay. Firstly for looks, and secondly for iat's.

mr5 could be interesting. I'll have a poke under there with the Tial fitted and see if there's room to make it work.

I'll give you $1500 if you stay under the bonnet and making whooshing sounds as I accelerate. Deal?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #17
Brule
Major
Australia
85
Rep
1,348
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i e92 6sp man
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Darwin

iTrader: (0)

Seen the new ecs intake? Looks good and is enclosed
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #18
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule View Post
Seen the new ecs intake? Looks good and is enclosed
I hadn't seen that yet, looks pretty good!

I can't seem to find anyone with real-world results as yet. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with. Looks like a nice compromise between something like the AFE dual cone and the Gruppe M.

Nice to see it's a fair bit cheaper than the Gruppe M. I don't think the inlet needs to be CF as its the same design anyway, and the standard item looks fine so probably a good part to save money on.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #19
xjan
Private
14
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Estonia, Tallinn

iTrader: (0)

Anyone running the BMC carbon kit? Cost around 1000eur


http://www.bmcairfilters.com/eng/crf...22-01/1142/art
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #20
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjan View Post
Anyone running the BMC carbon kit? Cost around 1000eur


http://www.bmcairfilters.com/eng/crf...22-01/1142/art
Looks like it's just one of their 'Carbon' filters and the top of the airbox. Pretty exxy for just that, be interested to see if anyone is running one.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #21
xjan
Private
14
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Estonia, Tallinn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunky_monkey View Post
Looks like it's just one of their 'Carbon' filters and the top of the airbox. Pretty exxy for just that, be interested to see if anyone is running one.
Found some more pics and dyno charts here:
http://www.kfzteile-mayer.de/luftfil...lter-crf722/01
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 12:32 AM   #22
phunky_monkey
Private First Class
16
Rep
195
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjan View Post
Found some more pics and dyno charts here:
http://www.kfzteile-mayer.de/luftfil...lter-crf722/01
That's the one I saw which made me realise it was just a replacement filter and cover. Doesn't seem like great value...though I winder how well it works in independent tests?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST