Drives: F80 M3

Post Autoblog on BMW 1M Coupe: Brilliance

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Autoblog on BMW 1M Coupe: Brilliance
COMMENTS
Name:  08-2011-bmw-1-series-m-review.jpg
Views: 7404
Size:  260.0 KB

Most reviews of the 1M coupe are the result of a short test drive. Perhaps more telling however, are the longer term reviews, such as Autoblog's just published review. Their latest 1M review comes from a week's worth of evaluation. Their 1M experience may have spanned a longer period than most test drives, but their words for the car are just as effusive. Here's some of their notable praise for 1M coupe:

Quote:
Five minutes into my first drive, I immediately pulled into a turnout, sat there for a second, took a deep breathe and realized – dammit – everyone was right. Brilliance is back in a small package.

Yes, brilliance. Surprising considering the M Coupe is the prototypical parts-bin special. But then again, when your parts bin is made up of some of the best driver-oriented bits in the biz, brilliance isn't expected, it's demanded.
Quote:
Forward momentum in any part of the rev range is immediate and addicting, devoid of lag unless the needle is on the far right side of the tack. And even then, that minute pause is instantaneously consumed by traction-testing torque, a subtle turbo wine and an exhaust note that's more guttural drone than screaming sex six. Then again, this isn't an "M" engine. It's a chip and a massage. But it simply doesn't matter.

What has been pulled from the BMW's motorsports arm are the bits that matter most: everything shoved into the wheel arches and connected to the driver.
Quote:
This is a pure driver's machine through-and-through – a true M, or at least the closest we'll get in the 21st century.

Which brings up a larger point. As enthusiasts, we have to come to grips with the fact that no modern automaker can match the involvement and tactility of a vehicle designed before massive feature creep and ever-expanding safety regulations. That time has passed. And while this isn't the E30 M3 successor we might've hoped for, in many ways, it's better. The 1M is more livable, more powerful and surely more reliable. It sticks harder and goes faster, and BMW did its best to remove the buzz-killing insularity that plagues most modern vehicles. The 1M delivers what M-heads value most: driving delight über alles. And it's one of the only times in years that anything with four wheels has lived up to the hype.
See their full review.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

If you think this is big, wait until the *deep breath* 2M is introduced.

The 1M seems to have been solely designed to wet our appetites, and it has, but it is merely a lead up to the F model 2 series set to be here in less than two years.

This is demonstrated by the 1M only being produced for a year. Having such rave reviews and all that should indicate to BMW that mass production is in order.....but it's not. Why? I repeat: the 1M is not here to stay.

The cute VO color and all the hype is only to get you interested. They ACTUALLY want you to get in line for they NEXT model. The upcoming 2 series. The 2M will basically be a 1M (i.e., spare M3 parts and one hell of an inline 6) but with the F model chassis. There will surely be no production limit. Also stemming from the 2 series will be a sort of Z2 if you will.

And, as long as it's not FWD, I'm certainly taking the bait and standing patiently in line to trade in the keys to my E90 for the new Z2. (as long as it's definitely RWD).

Last edited by OdomPHD; 08-03-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
bogeyman
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf GTD. GR Yaris CP incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdomPHD View Post

The 1M seems to have been solely designed to wet our appetites, and it has, but it is merely a lead up to the F model 2 series set to be here in less than two years.

This is demonstrated by the 1M only being produced for a year. Having such rave reviews and all that should indicate to BMW that mass production is in order.....but it's not. Why? I repeat: the 1M is not here to stay.

The cute VO color and all the hype is only to get you interested. They ACTUALLY want you to get in line for they NEXT model. The upcoming 2 series.

And, as long as it's not FWD, I'm certainly taking to bait and standing patiently in line to trade in the keys to my E90. haha
I wouldnt get your hopes up on the "2M" being better. History shows the original is always the best. Long live the 1M
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

hey man...whoaaa... I know better than to say something "better" than something else on these forums. haha. All I'm saying is that the 1M was designed by BMW GMBH (a group of market geniuses) to get you interested; hence, limited production time table. Also it doesn't incorporate the new F styling which BMW is using accross it's entire line up, indicating again that the 2 series will quickly supplant the short term 1M.

For what I do, I'd take the 1M over an M3 for lower end RPM performance. But as far as looks go, the M3 takes the cake. BUT, when the M2 arrives I will almost certainly be saying something different.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Daniel135i
Banned
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6M, AW, CR, MSPORT

Garage List
2011 135i  [10.00]
2005 SRT-4  [7.00]
@m, no thank you, ill have the original. First off, limited run, second off, you never get that "first time feeling" on the second go around.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
hey man...whoaaa... I know better than to say something "better" than something else on these forums. haha. All I'm saying is that the 1M was designed by BMW GMBH (a group of market geniuses) to get you interested; hence, limited production time table. Also it doesn't incorporate the new F styling which BMW is using accross it's entire line up, indicating again that the 2 series will quickly supplant the short term 1M.

For what I do, I'd take the 1M over an M3 for lower end RPM performance. But as far as looks go, the M3 takes the cake. BUT, when the M2 arrives I will almost certainly be saying something different.
Haters gonna hate much?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

You know, when I bought my second e36 S54 M Roadster, I heard the same warnings about the e85 roadster. Guess what? I still have the car and it surely turns more heads than the more-advanced and more-optioned offspring. The S54 was a parts-bin exercise as well. With Stone Age rear suspension, body-flex exceeding a gymnast, and warnings about everything from engine fires to differential hard-point failures, the consensus was that I was about to walk into a depreciation nightmare.

Fast-forward a few years...

The next iteration of the M Roadster has grown in size and refinement. To my eye, and as a driver, I just can't bring myself to buy this model even after numerous test drives.

My personal approach to buying cars is a synthesis of exclusivity, uniqueness, and most importantly, the visceral kick in the pants that it absolutely, positively must provide when I look at it or put my right foot forward doing the asphalt hokey-pokey.

I'm sure the M2 will be brilliant. I'm sure that BMW will market it quite well, using the 1M's halo effect. I'm sure they build loads of them. I'm sure it will be bigger and more refined. I'm sure that I will consider buying one.

I'm also sure that history will repeat itself with the 1M just like with my M Roadster--that when put side-by-side with its progeny, there will unanimous agreement that this car...this is the one that started it all...this is the one I want.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

Quote:

The cute VO color and all the hype is only to get you interested. They ACTUALLY want you to get in line for they NEXT model. The upcoming 2 series. The 2M will basically be a 1M (i.e., spare M3 parts and one hell of an inline 6) but with the F model chassis. There will surely be no production limit. Also stemming from the 2 series will be a sort of Z2 if you will.

And, as long as it's not FWD, I'm certainly taking the bait and standing patiently in line to trade in the keys to my E90 for the new Z2. (as long as it's definitely RWD).
get your info straight

M2 is gonna be a 4banger.
      08-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
sharkfighter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
get your info straight

M2 is gonna be a 4banger.
+1

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post10141771
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

How did this thread turn into M2 is going to be better debate? We are probably 4 years away from a car that is just in the minds of the M division. It seems every thread has to turn into a pepsi/coke, ford/chevy, or 1M/M3 debate. Seriously, blinders off.
      08-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i / B6 A4

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [6.38]
2005 Audi A4  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkfighter View Post
I'd take what Scott says with a grain of salt. I remember him saying the 1M would have a twin turbo variant of the n55 and a plethora of individualization options as well. My money is on an I6.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #12
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

I'll be the bitter cynic today... If a willing customer cant actually buy the car... why have it splashed over every car magazine for months. Whats the point? I wish the articles would start putting some honesty commentary about this lack of availability and price gouging that is going on, because the car is not $47k..., the sticker is irrelevant.

Do they think people will come in wanting a 1M and you'll convince them to buy a 135i? I've never met a car salesman that could sway me in the least.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
Sy546
Captain
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:

So you spoke to the BMW gods and they told you this car was to get you interested?

No one knows when there will be another 1M or a 2m; etc. EVEN if they did want to bring another 1M, they never bring an M class until minimum 1-2 years into that body style.

Also ill take the 1M over the m3 any day. I think it looks just as good, and the driving difference is a HUGE difference. The e9x M3 is a luxury cruiser. The 1M is the true e30/e36/e46 successor. It's a true sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Well you keep waiting than. If your going to wait for that next great car you'll always be waiting. Something is always coming out. And hey if a sick 2M does come out than ill add that to the family too
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
The 2M will basically be a 1M (i.e., spare M3 parts and one hell of an inline 6) but with the F model chassis.
M2, not 2M. No need to transpose the letter and number here since the name M2 is not "reserved" like 1M one. Also, as others point out, prevailing rumor has a turbo 4 for the M2, not a turbo 6.

Oh, and the chassis code is F22. "F model" could refer to just about any BMW passenger car chassis these days - F0x, F1x, F2x, F3x.

Quote:
Also stemming from the 2 series will be a sort of Z2 if you will.

There is no F2x-based roadster planned at the moment. The "Z2", which might actually be called a Z1 according to SCOTT, will be build on the FWD "UKL" chassis. There is still a chance for an F2x-based roadster to slot in between it an the next generation F3x-based Z4, but nothing is certain at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #16
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
I'll be the bitter cynic today... If a willing customer cant actually buy the car... why have it splashed over every car magazine for months. Whats the point? I wish the articles would start putting some honesty commentary about this lack of availability and price gouging that is going on, because the car is not $47k..., the sticker is irrelevant.

Do they think people will come in wanting a 1M and you'll convince them to buy a 135i? I've never met a car salesman that could sway me in the least.
Most of us got or are getting our 1Ms at MSRP or below. CA being the exception, but we all know they are "special"

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #17
Sy546
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
Most of us got or are getting our 1Ms at MSRP or below. CA being the exception, but we all know they are "special"

But it still is not available for most people. Most people will not call 100 dealerships like i did just to find that one in the middle of nowhere lol.

BUT i love that about this car. It's a true sports car that if you have, most likely to put some work into finding one lol. I see e9x m3s all day long. Im very happy with the "exclusivity" of the 1 M for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:

BTW, it's whet not wet. And in the review, it should be whine, not wine.

Neil
(don't really know wat's the problem with spelling!)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #19
Rx:BMW
Rep
Drives: Nonbmw=(

well, as someone for who the timing of the 1m didnt work out, im really hoping that OP is right. if the M2 is as badass as the 1M, had an I6 (i think this is unlikely), and just benefitted from the new F styling, had a non-limited production, that'd be pretty kickass. if anything happens, i think the increase in production is the most likely to occur.

BTW, you guys got your 1m's BELOW MSRP??? How is that even possible with such limited numbers? bums me out even more...
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #20
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx:BMW View Post
well, as someone for who the timing of the 1m didnt work out, im really hoping that OP is right. if the M2 is as badass as the 1M, had an I6 (i think this is unlikely), and just benefitted from the new F styling, had a non-limited production, that'd be pretty kickass. if anything happens, i think the increase in production is the most likely to occur.

BTW, you guys got your 1m's BELOW MSRP??? How is that even possible with such limited numbers? bums me out even more...
I'm paying MSRP.

However, some very far-sighted forum members with a great deal of trust and faith in the M division ( remarkable considering their last two creations before the 1M: the X5M and X6M ) put in their orders last year before the dealers realized that they were sitting on a extremely hot, limited model.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Too bad BMW only made it for one year and in limited quantities.
      08-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post

This experience has certainly wised me up on what you have to do to get something with BMW (perhaps they're all the same). Who would have thought that in December, when there was almost zero info out there on this car and the enthusiasts being more informed than the salesman were in most cases, that you needed to place an order all over the country to secure a car.
Heck, we didnt even know what it was going to cost and we gave our deposits and received verbal confirmation that we could get it at sticker (or below in some cases). Now to find out that its not a matter of how soon you got in line, but where you placed your order, is ridiculous and disloyal of BMW. I would understand if the factory was trying to make the super profits that some dealers are getting (salesman at Morristown BMW said he got $90k on Ebay for one...) by creating this demand, but they are not.

Perhaps I need a degree in marketing to understand why this was the right move for them.
Appreciate 0