BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
kernelguy5
Enlisted Member
kernelguy5's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Davis, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
How can you tell if engine is warm?

Just wondering how you can safely know the oil temp is at the right temperature as our cars don't have a gauge? Don't want to do an "italian tuneup" while the engine is still cold...20 miles on the highway enough??
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
theonlynameleft
Private First Class
2
Rep
121
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 128i all stock
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelguy5 View Post
Just wondering how you can safely know the oil temp is at the right temperature as our cars don't have a gauge? Don't want to do an "italian tuneup" while the engine is still cold...20 miles on the highway enough??
I would say go into the screen where it shows the oil life left. If it knows it instantly and doesn't have to wait I'd say thats when the car is at its ideal operating temperature... but thats my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Alow
First Lieutenant
Alow's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: 09 128i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (1)

Get a BMW performance steering wheel with an oil temp display :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
Tom K.'s Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
5,409
Posts

 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynameleft View Post
I would say go into the screen where it shows the oil life left. If it knows it instantly and doesn't have to wait I'd say thats when the car is at its ideal operating temperature... but thats my opinion.
Actually, it's the oil level screen on the dash computer. When the oil is sufficiently warm, a reading will be displayed; otherwise there will be no reading - just an icon of a spinning clock. And the engine must be running.

I find that mine takes about 4 to 6 miles of moderate driving to warm up, depending on the outside temp.

BTW, I notice that the new F30 328i now has a temp gauge - but it no longer has a non-turbo inline 6.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
mdputnam
Private First Class
mdputnam's Avatar
2
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Warm BMW Engine



Cold BMW Engine
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
BFD99
The Stig!
BFD99's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Ok

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
I've heard the oil gauge doesn't read till you've driven 6 miles on the N54, but don't know if that holds true on the N52. I drive my car about that distance at interstate speed and my oil temp gauge moves off the bottom, so it's at 180 at that point.
__________________
2008 135i - FBO + JB4 15ohm + Water Meth
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136481&dateline=13270  10872
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
jkoral
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
834
Posts

 
Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
I've heard the oil gauge doesn't read till you've driven 6 miles on the N54, but don't know if that holds true on the N52. I drive my car about that distance at interstate speed and my oil temp gauge moves off the bottom, so it's at 180 at that point.
That's the great thing about the performance steering wheel with the coolant and oil temp display. On cold mornings, the oil/coolant temp in my unheated garage will be 40s and 50s. After driving a short bit, the coolant temp will be 160 blowing hot air while the oil temp is still under 100.

I would think the oil gauge in the cluster reads the temp, just nothing to display since it starts at 160.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
Evice
Major
Evice's Avatar
24
Rep
1,432
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 128i M-sport and '98 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere here

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
That's the great thing about the performance steering wheel with the coolant and oil temp display. On cold mornings, the oil/coolant temp in my unheated garage will be 40s and 50s. After driving a short bit, the coolant temp will be 160 blowing hot air while the oil temp is still under 100.

I would think the oil gauge in the cluster reads the temp, just nothing to display since it starts at 160.
It is very normal to blow hot air from vents before the oil really warm ups. Because air that comes from the vents uses the heater core which is connected to the head, that coolant circulates in. Coolant warms up much faster than oil.
__________________
-- '09 BSM 128i - '98 E36 M3 - BMWCR IS #718
BMWCCA Instructor & 2013,2014 BMWCR I-Sport National Champion.
http://www.youtube.com/alisalih
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
BFD99
The Stig!
BFD99's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Ok

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
That's the great thing about the performance steering wheel with the coolant and oil temp display. On cold mornings, the oil/coolant temp in my unheated garage will be 40s and 50s. After driving a short bit, the coolant temp will be 160 blowing hot air while the oil temp is still under 100.

I would think the oil gauge in the cluster reads the temp, just nothing to display since it starts at 160.
Yeah for sure, I have my JB4 set to flash the hazards when it's up to temp. It's a neat little feature.
__________________
2008 135i - FBO + JB4 15ohm + Water Meth
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136481&dateline=13270  10872
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
687
Rep
16,660
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernelguy5 View Post
Just wondering how you can safely know the oil temp is at the right temperature as our cars don't have a gauge? Don't want to do an "italian tuneup" while the engine is still cold...20 miles on the highway enough??
The best way would be to use an OBD-II scan tool (like the BT tool or the like)and see what the extact oil and water temp is. Any OBD-II scan tool that is CAN BUS can read those sensor temps.

The oil level gauge in the BC will start to show a reading after 6 miles or drivig. Here is what the owners manual has to say about that...


Name:  SCAN0302.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  124.3 KB

Name:  SCAN0300.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  142.7 KB

Name:  SCAN0301.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  162.5 KB


But... why the Italian tune up? Chances are that your spark plugs are worn out if you have more than 45K miles on them. Or maybe its carbon buildup you are talking about?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
jkoral
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
834
Posts

 
Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99
I've heard the oil gauge doesn't read till you've driven 6 miles on the N54...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The oil level gauge in the BC will start to show a reading after 6 miles or drivig.

Oops, my mistake BFD99, I thought you were talking about the oil temp gauge, not the oil level gauge.


Has any other BMW other than the E46 M3 had lights in the tach to indicate max revs until the car was up to normal operating temperature? I always thought this was a neat feature, but could see how it could be perceived as gimmicky.

I was not aware of the JB4 feature, that is really cool.

Last edited by jkoral; 03-02-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: JB4
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
687
Rep
16,660
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Has any other BMW other than the E46 M3 had lights in the tach to indicate max revs until the car was up to normal operating temperature? I always thought this was a neat feature, but could see how it could be perceived as gimmicky.

I believe this is only used for M models: e46M3, Z4M, e9xM3's and the e60M5 and M6's had them too. The new 1M does not have them. On the new-er e9xM3's some have the LEDs and some have a moving redline in yellow and red. Like this... (yes, these gauges are in a 135i that was coded to run these M3 gauges )





Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
BFD99
The Stig!
BFD99's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
890
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa, Ok

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Does the LED rev-limiter work as it should on the 135 dack?
__________________
2008 135i - FBO + JB4 15ohm + Water Meth
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=136481&dateline=13270  10872
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
687
Rep
16,660
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD99 View Post
Does the LED rev-limiter work as it should on the 135 dack?

For the above M3 gauges? Yes.

Those two pics were from Thorsten's 135i (car-coding.de) he installed those M3 gauges and coded them to work. The 135i N54 motor still have the same redline as stock... but the M3 tach redline is preset to the V8 high rpm scale(redline). The LED's on the silver trim did not work(light up). Only the rpm scale in yellow and red moved - just like it does on a e9xM3 car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #15
kernelguy5
Enlisted Member
kernelguy5's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Davis, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The best way would be to use an OBD-II scan tool (like the BT tool or the like)and see what the extact oil and water temp is. Any OBD-II scan tool that is CAN BUS can read those sensor temps.

The oil level gauge in the BC will start to show a reading after 6 miles or drivig. Here is what the owners manual has to say about that...


Attachment 652464

Attachment 652465

Attachment 652466


But... why the Italian tune up? Chances are that your spark plugs are worn out if you have more than 45K miles on them. Or maybe its carbon buildup you are talking about?
I was originally talking about the carbon buildup. I live really close to where i go to school and work so my weekly drives consist of driving 2 miles a day. Thought it would be beneficial to get the engine going a bit though the lack of an oil temp gauge on the 128 got me wondering how i could tell it was warm. The OBDII scanner idea isn't a bad idea!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #16
Järppä
Old fart
Järppä's Avatar
Finland
0
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 123dA
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Behind barn

iTrader: (0)

You can allways use Hidden menu, there is coolant temperature but i don't remember is there oil temperature.

2 miles is so short journey that oil wont warm at all. Oil needs over 30 min drive when it achieve the right function temperature.
__________________
Do not, under any circumstances, buy the 123d in the M-Sport trim. The ride is far too hard.
If you're relaxed or want a thrash, this motor lets you be as wild or calm as you like.
Top Gear review

Last edited by Järppä; 03-08-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST