BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
icasio
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Unhappy Pacific BMW PDI Joy Ridden 1M Coupe Was Mine!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So, I was the sucker who ended up purchasing this 1M from Pacific Glendale on Aug 26th, 10 days after this clip went online...I bought it for $10k over sticker. The dealership never mentioned a word about the joyride scenario during their sales pitch for obvious reasons.

I'm new to the BMW world but was won over by the 1M and so the question and help I ask of all of you is what should I do? The story goes like this;

-Bought the car on the 26th. Dealership knew they were selling me a car that had been driven improperly by their techs but of course never mentioned this to me.

-They denied me the chance to test drive it citing that it was a highly sought after car and they weren't allowing anyone to take it out in an effort to keep low miles on the vehicle (understandable, but I guess this message was never relayed to their techs).

-When the story breaks and goes public (NBC and KTLA both did TV news coverage of it here) the manager calls me all worried and asks if I had seen my car in the news. This was 5 days after the purchase. I say, "no." He goes on to say that the techs video taped the PDI and posted it on youtube and they were fired for it. He then goes on to curse the news outlets for not having the integrity to go after "real news." I tell him that I'll look online for more of the story.

-Then I see the clip and realize that it wasn't just some standard PDI that was taped but that it was a joyride that was taped. In my car. My stomach dropped.

-I'm feeling it's fair to ask for the $10k over sticker that I paid to be refunded. The dealership basically laughed and said we'll give you $2k back. At this point I'm bringing in a lawyer.

Thoughts/advice? I mean $10k is much less than the damage that a story like this causes a brand like BMW. It's got to be embarrassing for BMW NA to have to babysit dealerships like Pacific BMW.

Thanks in advance.

Original joy ride video:

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

not my area of expertise, but if it were me... I'd bring in the suits. HARD
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Nucking futs. I would go for it. Not sure the extent of your legal recourse but it probably can't hurt considering the evidence and possible heightened bad press. :

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #4
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Free or steeply discounted extended warranty, or CPO certification?
Or, some other gesture of goodwill that gives you increased peace of mind ...

Maybe BMWNA should get involved, and perhaps the media, if the dealer won't make any concessions.

This seems like the only way for Pacific to restore their reputation. Who in their right mind would buy a car from these d-bags after all this?

Thanks for coming forward with your story...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
FairfaxM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, 1M, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by icasio View Post
So, I was the sucker who ended up purchasing this 1M from Pacific Glendale on Aug 26th, 10 days after this clip went online...I bought it for $10k over sticker. The dealership never mentioned a word about the joyride scenario during their sales pitch for obvious reasons.

I'm new to the BMW world but was won over by the 1M and so the question and help I ask of all of you is what should I do? The story goes like this;

-Bought the car on the 26th. Dealership knew they were selling me a car that had been driven improperly by their techs but of course never mentioned this to me.

-They denied me the chance to test drive it citing that it was a highly sought after car and they weren't allowing anyone to take it out in an effort to keep low miles on the vehicle (understandable, but I guess this message was never relayed to their techs).

-When the story breaks and goes public (NBC and KTLA both did TV news coverage of it here) the manager calls me all worried and asks if I had seen my car in the news. This was 5 days after the purchase. I say, "no." He goes on to say that the techs video taped the PDI and posted it on youtube and they were fired for it. He then goes on to curse the news outlets for not having the integrity to go after "real news." I tell him that I'll look online for more of the story.

-Then I see the clip and realize that it wasn't just some standard PDI that was taped but that it was a joyride that was taped. In my car. My stomach dropped.

-I'm feeling it's fair to ask for the $10k over sticker that I paid to be refunded. The dealership basically laughed and said we'll give you $2k back. At this point I'm bringing in a lawyer.

Thoughts/advice? I mean $10k is much less than the damage that a story like this causes a brand like BMW. It's got to be embarrassing for BMW NA to have to babysit dealerships like Pacific BMW.

Thanks in advance.
Contact all the media outlets that have run the story about the PDI test drive (TV news coverage, Jalopnik.com, etc that are all mentioned in this thread) and share your story. They will love to do a follow-up to the test drive, and how the dealership continues their questionable business pactices. The dealership will not like the negative coverage, and they may try to make things "right" as a result.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
pinmagic
The Only Sane One Here
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Not sure you really have any legal recourse. The video doesn't really show enough to say with certainty that there was damage to the car. And, as has been pointed out, people do worse things to cars on test drives that you never know about. But maybe you could argue diminished resale value. In any event, hiring a lawyer will probably cost you more than you could get back.

I think contacting the media outlets may be a more successful approach.

In any event, I wouldn't let it ruin your new-owner experience. You bought an absolutely amazing car that's pretty much sold out, and - in truth - there's probably no real long-term impact from the joyride. Enjoy it, and welcome!
      09-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
In any event, I wouldn't let it ruin your new-owner experience. You bought an absolutely amazing car that's pretty much sold out, and - in truth - there's probably no real long-term impact from the joyride. Enjoy it, and welcome!
+1 to this...Just think, you probably own the most famous 1M.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icasio View Post

Thanks in advance.
Get a good lawyer involved...I have the feeling you'll be getting your markup back, if not more. Remember how greedy the people from this dealer have been...they don't deserve any less than what's coming their way.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Shit just got real.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
Get a good lawyer involved...I have the feeling you'll be getting your markup back, if not more. Remember how greedy the people from this dealer have been...they don't deserve any less than what's coming their way.

Time to out the "screws" to them! Call in the suits! Remember what one guy said here(a few pages back) about Reggie (the General Manager) being a huge slime-bag. This sounds pretty slimey to me. They are now in CYA mode at this dealership. Heck even BMW //M had heard about these guys. I wouldn't be surprised to find this dealer having their franchise pulled by BMW NA soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
mikewills
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ducati Hypermotard

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
Sounds like a great followup for jalopnik and the other media sources. Just as long as Casey Anthony isn't back in the limelight, this should be front page news.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #12
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
Sounds like a great followup for jalopnik and the other media sources. Just as long as Casey Anthony isn't back in the limelight, this should be front page news.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #13
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

I doubt the car was damaged, and according to some circles that engine could dyno stronger with the extreme break in.

I would still let Pacific know I expect a refund of the mark up plus additional warranty coverage at their cost because the break in was not in line with BMW suggestions. If they dont oblige let them know you will give the news outlets the ending to their story. Dont call the media first.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I doubt the car was damaged, and according to some circles that engine could dyno stronger with the extreme break in.

I would still let Pacific know I expect a refund of the mark up plus additional warranty coverage at their cost because the break in was not in line with BMW suggestions. If they dont oblige let them know you will give the news outlets the ending to their story. Dont call the media first.
+1, definitely don't call first. You would lose ALL your leverage that way.

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

At this point I would not engage the dealer directly. Communicate to them via your attorney. Also, I would find another dealership to get your service work done going forward.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #16
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
+10

I wouldn't settle for anything less if you want to keep the car. REPEAT, they should have, at the very least, offered you the BMW extended warranty and extended maintenance for free, not reduced, GRATIS because it was demonstrably and knowingly used against the manufacturer’s policies BY A REPRESENTATIVE OF BMW. And this was not disclosed at the time of purchase. The seller knew of the disregard of delivery protocol and possible breach of warranty coverage (i guarantee you if a dealer had evidence that you did not follow proper break-in procedures specified by the manufacturer they'd use that to void your warranty had issues cropped up).

Work with the dealership first and state your case in a calm, matter-of-fact manner, without threats. Log your efforts with them. If they refuse to cooperate after reasoned conversation, then notify them you'll be seeking legal remedies and will follow up with your local media and consumer advocate.

But first make sure you know what you think should be fair compensation for the egregious breach of conduct and be clear and firm with the dealer that is what you expect.
      09-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

BMW's NA dealership just screwed up the whole confidence of the buying experience. I have to switch several dealers till found out one that can make reasonable conversation and purchased my car.

You have all rights to nail the PBMW in this case. Let us know the follow up.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
szcyxzh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeremi View Post
+10

I wouldn't settle for anything less if you want to keep the car. REPEAT, they should have, at the very least, offered you the BMW extended warranty and extended maintenance for free, not reduced, GRATIS because it was demonstrably and knowingly used against the manufacturer’s policies BY A REPRESENTATIVE OF BMW. And this was not disclosed at the time of purchase. The seller knew of the disregard of delivery protocol and possible breach of warranty coverage (i guarantee you if a dealer had evidence that you did not follow proper break-in procedures specified by the manufacturer they'd use that to void your warranty had issues cropped up).

Work with the dealership first and state your case in a calm, matter-of-fact manner, without threats. Log your efforts with them. If they refuse to cooperate after reasoned conversation, then notify them you'll be seeking legal remedies and will follow up with your local media and consumer advocate.

But first make sure you know what you think should be fair compensation for the egregious breach of conduct and be clear and firm with the dealer that is what you expect.
Well said! I would also get the BMW NA headquarter involved into this case.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 01:32 PM   #19
icasio
-
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just to clarify, after the initial call from the manager informing me of the news coverage I immediately stepped out of the dialogue and let my business manager do the talking with them. We asked for the $10k back. The first call resulted in them offering only $2k back. I declined that offer and went back with $10k or the next person you hear from is my lawyer. And that was Friday. So now my lawyer is stepping in and drafting a formal letter (he feels completely confident we can win the $10k plus legal fees--it's just the hassle of having to go through the process).

I had already purchased the extended warranty and maintenance warranty. Both of those came out to around $7,000. But yeah, it seems like a no brainer for them to have offered to refund that at the very least. Didn't happen.

I'll keep the updates coming as they transpire. And I'll also work on contacting BMWNA about all this.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #20
RenaultOne
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Not sure you really have any legal recourse. The video doesn't really show enough to say with certainty that there was damage to the car. And, as has been pointed out, people do worse things to cars on test drives that you never know about. But maybe you could argue diminished resale value. In any event, hiring a lawyer will probably cost you more than you could get back.

I think contacting the media outlets may be a more successful approach.

+1. I agree. It's hard to tell how much damage was done and you'll probably spend more on the lawyer than what you may get from the dealership. It won't hurt to ask them to reimburse you for the warranty, though.
      09-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxM3 View Post
Contact all the media outlets that have run the story about the PDI test drive (TV news coverage, Jalopnik.com, etc that are all mentioned in this thread) and share your story. They will love to do a follow-up to the test drive, and how the dealership continues their questionable business pactices. The dealership will not like the negative coverage, and they may try to make things "right" as a result.
+1.

Local media, especially. Let their other potential customers see how they operate.
      09-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

I would recommend that you send the video clip to the highest and biggest chair at BMW that you can!

I would start by calling Germany and BMW North America and file a complaint. Then continue to demand to someone with a German Accent and make sure they know what happened.

good luck. Try this first prior to spending money on a lawyer.
Appreciate 0