BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
robertm
Captain
11
Rep
877
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex@Helix View Post
Helix Intercooler fits perfectly and has proven gains....
Proven gains in what? I thought it just kept the oil temps down. I can see how it could prevent a loss of power if the oil temps go too high and ecu shuts the fun down but unless you have adl software to take advantage of increased cooling capacity how will you gain?

Last edited by robertm; 10-31-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:35 PM   #24
AzGregg
New Member
0
Rep
21
Posts

 
Drives: Black 1 series M coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Phoenix, Az

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Proven gains in what? I thought it just kept the oil temps down. I can see how it could prevent a loss of power if the oil temps go too high and ecu shuts the fun down but unless you have adl software to take advantage of increased cooling how will you gain?
the intercooler cools the air charge entering the engine. cooler, denser air makes more power.

an oil cooler would not add horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
robertm
Captain
11
Rep
877
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGregg View Post
the intercooler cools the air charge entering the engine. cooler, denser air makes more power.

an oil cooler would not add horsepower.

Hence the I in FMIC! I get it Face meet palm. Palm good to me ya!

Great, now I want one..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #26
Das Ein
Captain
Das Ein's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
802
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Audi TTRS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Allen, TX

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
ETS will have a direct fit FMIC very soon!

We just finished all the R&D on their product.

Wait a tic...


So my 135i 5" ETS intercooler will not work in my 1M?

Or were they able to make a larger core work in the 1M without any cutting or trimming? (An ETS trademark)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #27
M1one1M
Banned
Australia
4
Rep
197
Posts

 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

How does the HPF rate against the Wagner, Helix and ETS?
Is there really any great difference between them all?

I think thats the most appropriate question to ask here.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #28
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
17
Rep
1,226
Posts

 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You can also see more pics here in my thread when I had my car tuned...

Got my car tuned in Germany…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528152
besides the pics, that's a good read, recommended!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #29
LateralG'z
Private
LateralG'z's Avatar
0
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: Hopefully a 1M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I want to know the volume increase in size and pressure drops across these at a couple give flow rates before I make any decisions. Does anyone have that information?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #30
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
277
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I wish ETS or HPF made an intercooler that didn't require any cutting and used the factory connectors...
__________________
2011 Valencia Orange 1M - Weekend Warrior
2013 Acura RDX - Daily
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
marcel b's Avatar
46
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I have been also thinking about getting the Wagner IC. IF you don't mind me asking Marcel where did you buys your from and for how much? My tuner told me its about 600 euros for the part.

I attached some pics bellow...

Attachment 601745

Attachment 601746

Attachment 601747


You can also see more pics here in my thread when I had my car tuned...

Got my car tuned in Germany…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528152
600 is a good price. Normally they are about 630. I bought at TVW and had it also installed there. Really nice guys and they already sold a lot of them because of their project 1M.
If you have questions, just sent me a PN.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #32
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
704
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

iTrader: (0)

HPF DOES make an intercooler that uses factory couplers.

Pressure drop (byproduct of end-tank and core design) and thermal efficiency (byproduct of core/size shape, material and airflow) are what to look for in an aftermarket intercooler.

They are NOT all the same. I happen to like the HPF and AMS setups the most. CP-E actually published test data for their intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #33
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
277
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
HPF DOES make an intercooler that uses factory couplers.

Pressure drop (byproduct of end-tank and core design) and thermal efficiency (byproduct of core/size shape, material and airflow) are what to look for in an aftermarket intercooler.

They are NOT all the same. I happen to like the HPF and AMS setups the most. CP-E actually published test data for their intercooler.
I'm aware that HPF uses the factory couplers - however their unit does require substantial cutting on the 1 series for it to fit. I wish they offered a 5" unit like ETS.
__________________
2011 Valencia Orange 1M - Weekend Warrior
2013 Acura RDX - Daily
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #34
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
marcel b's Avatar
46
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
HPF DOES make an intercooler that uses factory couplers.

Pressure drop (byproduct of end-tank and core design) and thermal efficiency (byproduct of core/size shape, material and airflow) are what to look for in an aftermarket intercooler.

They are NOT all the same. I happen to like the HPF and AMS setups the most. CP-E actually published test data for their intercooler.
I'm aware that HPF uses the factory couplers - however their unit does require substantial cutting on the 1 series for it to fit. I wish they offered a 5" unit like ETS.
Wagner also uses factory couplers, one of the reasons I took it.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #35
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,663
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
600 is a good price. Normally they are about 630. I bought at TVW and had it also installed there. Really nice guys and they already sold a lot of them because of their project 1M.
If you have questions, just sent me a PN.
Danke Marcel_b,

Wow! TVW really have alot of cool stuff from the 1M.

http://www.tvw-cardesign.de/index.php?page=m1


Guys the reason why the Wagner FMIC is so nice is bc it requires so little cutting when you install it. From what I am told... you only need to trim 4mm with an exacto box cutter along the front edge of (FMIC) on the inside part of the bumper cover. Plus it uses the factory cuplers. Wagner also makes some really nice down pipes too.


Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #36
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
marcel b's Avatar
46
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Danke Marcel_b,

Wow! TVW really have alot of cool stuff from the 1M.

http://www.tvw-cardesign.de/index.php?page=m1


Guys the reason why the Wagner FMIC is so nice is bc it requires so little cutting when you install it. From what I am told... you only need to trim 4mm with an exacto box cutter along the front edge of (FMIC) on the inside part of the bumper cover. Plus it uses the factory cuplers. Wagner also makes some really nice down pipes too.


Dack
Hi Dackel,

no cutting at all is needed with the Wagner. I looked when they installed it, fits like a glove! No cutting and using the standard couplers are a big plus for me
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #37
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Ein View Post
Wait a tic...


So my 135i 5" ETS intercooler will not work in my 1M?

Or were they able to make a larger core work in the 1M without any cutting or trimming? (An ETS trademark)
No, not a direct fit. You will need a new discharge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #38
M1one1M
Banned
Australia
4
Rep
197
Posts

 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone test fitted the HPF intercooler to a 1M yet?
Or does anyone know whether it will fit?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 01:05 AM   #39
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
418
Rep
11,443
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1one1M View Post
Has anyone test fitted the HPF intercooler to a 1M yet?
Or does anyone know whether it will fit?
If it fits the 135i, it will fit the 1M. However, do you really want to cut up the plastic core support on a car such as the 1M?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #40
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
277
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
No, not a direct fit. You will need a new discharge pipe.
Why the need for a new discharge pipe?
__________________
2011 Valencia Orange 1M - Weekend Warrior
2013 Acura RDX - Daily
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #41
M1one1M
Banned
Australia
4
Rep
197
Posts

 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If it fits the 135i, it will fit the 1M. However, do you really want to cut up the plastic core support on a car such as the 1M?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the plastic you have to cut with the HPF intercooler not essential and not visable from the front of the car?

Do any of the other intercoolers flow more? and how does a stepped core not effect the passage of air to the radiator fan?

I genuinely am intersted in answers to these questions because there is so much mis-information out there it's hard to tell what's what, or at least I'm not sure?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #42
mpower2
Private
Austria
2
Rep
91
Posts

 
Drives: 1er M Coupe-AW
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wien

iTrader: (0)

Today was Christmas .......... for me


This are Wagner DP and Wagner Intercoller.
Thanks to Marcel at Germany!
I will see, what´s the Power is.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #43
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,663
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

^^Me want!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #44
sparoz
Brigadier General
sparoz's Avatar
Australia
71
Rep
4,845
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

iTrader: (0)

Does any of these options slow down the response of the 1M? I am interested in a direct bolt-on. So, that's only the wagner and the ets?
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST