BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Wichard20
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ashburn

Posts: 115
iTrader: (2)

Installed Evolve Tune

Decided to go with the Evolve tune for the 1M. I had a 335i prior to this car and used both the JB4 and Cobb so I figure try something new. I just got it installed yesterday so I have had little time to play but so far very happy with the tune. This is how the car should of left the factory. Besides the power bump there are no signs that this is a tuned car (smoothness, power delivery, etc).

I took some precautions. A laptop is required to deploy the tune (unless you carry your desktop around or mod the OBD cable to be really long ). I decided to dedicate a laptop for the tune. I had one laying around and figured the less stuff on it the more reliable it will be. Last thing I wanted was an unwanted reboot or something like a BSOD during my flash. Fresh build of Windows 7. Disabled anything that could cause unwanted behavior, screen saver, any kind of power management, sleep mode, windows update, no antivirus, etc. Evolve recommends disabling a lot of these as well.

Per the Evolve guide they recommended using a battery charger during the process. Did some research and saw this was recommended on couple forums and purchased, http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-INC...7954561&sr=8-1. Some people will build their own solutions for much less but for someone who does not want to from my research this was your best buy. I believe Snap-On sells this as well but for much more as they rebrand it. This battery charger has a flash programming mode. I set it to 13.8 (not 100% this is the voltage that should be used for our ECU but I saw it mentioned couple times).

Also wanted to post my ghetto setup as I found it amusing. Laptop on trashcan with ODB cable through window. Had to run an extension cable to power laptop since there were no plugs near by. Used an upside down recycling bin to sit the battery charger on. The handlebar on my mower let me bring the battery connection cables up so they would not rest on the paint of the car.




Wichard20 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
ADVANT123
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

Curious if you could provide us with a review of the Evolve tune vs the Cobb and JB4 in terms of driveability/power delivery? Not many people on here have owned multiple tunes, so I'm always interested in hearing their perspectives..

Thanks
Joe
__________________
2011 Valencia Orange 1M - Weekend Warrior
2013 Acura RDX - Daily
ADVANT123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
NjSant
Private
 
NjSant's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

definitely interested in what you think about the evolve. I've narrowed it down to either this or the ESS. Still doing research though
NjSant is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Wichard20
Private First Class
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ashburn

Posts: 115
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVANT123 View Post
Curious if you could provide us with a review of the Evolve tune vs the Cobb and JB4 in terms of driveability/power delivery? Not many people on here have owned multiple tunes, so I'm always interested in hearing their perspectives..

Thanks
Joe

Sure, couple notes though. I used the JB4 and Cobb when they were first released. I know updates have been released so what I used is probably different from the user experience now. Also not of these results are based off a dyno, just my butt

The JB4 was the first tune I installed on the 335i. I had had the version prior but got it with the free upgrade so I just waited until the 4 was released before installing it. This was before the release of the handheld flash tuners. The install takes longer as you need to dive under the hood and get to the actual ECU to install the unit but the install is not bad. The JB4 felt the strongest to me. The power really kicks in when your in the power band and felt the most unnatural. The JB4 did have some really cool features, map switching using the gauge cluster, taking over gauges to act as a boost gauge, etc. I did have one of my units go bad. Customer Service was excellent and received a replacement quickly with no hassle but it did turn me off a little.

I was happy with the performance of the JB4 but the hardware failing as well as needing to pull out and reinstall for any service visits made me try the Cobb. One word to describe Cobb, slick. Their tuning device is very nice, simple to use color GUI. There app is well designed, auto updates, no problems. Everything will update through the app with just couple clicks (app, firmware for tuner, new maps). Plenty of map options. The power bump did not feel as strong and while power delivery felt more stock I felt drivability was not as strong. I believe a lot of these issues have been corrected with updates.

I was happy with Cobb but was not amazed. With the 1M I wanted to try something different. I know Evolve has been getting great reviews and I wanted to continue with a tune that I can flash from my own home. My only complaint is the process is not as smooth. When purchased they send you a link to the latest software package. The problem with the software is it currently does not auto update and the software will expire allowing you not use it. They do this from what I understand to ensure you are running the latest version. Not a big deal, you email customer service and they got me the latest version in couple hours. During the time I was all hooked up and ready to go. I know now to load up the version before setting up in case an update is needed. I believe they plan to have it auto update in the future. If not it would be nice if when logging into the Evolve website you can download from there as well as there appears to be a download section. For the tune I sent my ECU data last Thursday and received it yesterday (roughly a week). I understand the tune was ready to go earlier but it got lost to me in email or was not sent so I am glad I followed up with them yesterday. Very small details but I want to be fair in my review. With a device like the Cobb your pretty much ready to go right away. Now when you do send a tune they do ask for your mods. Not sure if the tune is pretty much canned or they do minor adjustments depending on your mods so there can be a plus here if the tune you are provided is more "custom". Or they might just check your mod list to see what stage to send you. As I said I have not had much play time but the tune feels like a stock 1M with more power. Power delivery is smooth and consistent, no surging, nothing to hint that it could not be delivered from the factory this way. All the buttons like the M button function as they did stock. We see when the times come but I been thinking about picking up a new M3 when they are released. Evolve is currently my tuner of choice if I do.
Wichard20 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
diegorst
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

I was trying to read my ECU using Evolve-R tonight and got an error message. I'm a bit worried about this....
Attached Images
  
__________________
Diego RdS - Lima, Perú
2011 /// 1M Coupe - BSM
diegorst is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
VO 1M
Private First Class
 
VO 1M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Planet Earth

Posts: 171
iTrader: (0)

give them a call or email the snap shot to them. will resolve your issue faster
VO 1M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
NC
Private
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
I was trying to read my ECU using Evolve-R tonight and got an error message. I'm a bit worried about this....
I'm no expert but isn't the error you are getting a result of the coded vehicle identification number being different than the actual vehicle identification number? In other words the tune is licensed to one VIN but it detects a different VIN.
NC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
inline.6
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ

Posts: 19
iTrader: (0)

Nice review!!! i love my evolve tune so far, its the way to go!
inline.6 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
Mautflucht
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
I was trying to read my ECU using Evolve-R tonight and got an error message. I'm a bit worried about this....
Do you still have your JB4 installed? If yes, did you switch to map 0 for flashing Evolve-R?
Mautflucht is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
PunjabiM3's Avatar
 
Drives: R8 5.2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

Posts: 1,799
iTrader: (1)

Definitely look forward to a review after you have had more play time with the car!
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10, 6MT, Suzuka Gray, Capristo X-Pipe, Klassen M52R, GMG springs, R8 GT tails, Satin Black badges
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, Moonlight Blue
2015 BMW X5 35d, Mineral White
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
PunjabiM3 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
JohnCena
Banned
 
Drives: VO
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MERICA

Posts: 212
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
was thinking evolve also hmm let me know your thoughts on it
JohnCena is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #12
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
 
Derek8819's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 346
iTrader: (4)

That screenshot of the software is the exact same that EPIC uses. I found the program fairly easy to use, but the non updating auto expiring program is a PITA. The EPIC run I was running however was terrible though, lots of "surging". I back stock now and after driving with the EPIC a bunch I almost feel that DDing the car that the OEM software is more powerful.
Derek8819 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #13
Mautflucht
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
... but the non updating auto expiring program is a PITA....
Yes auto expiring is absolutely annoying! If you're in a hurry, you can't go back to the stock map until you got the new program version. But try to get this on a weekend... You bought a product and you can't use it anymore without begging for a new version!

Once the app has showed the beta message, there's no way to start it up again - even if you set the computer's clock to a date in the past; it has blocked itself!

But wait - there's a trick
In Windows, start the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and delete the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ASProtect". Then, switch the computer's clock back to a date in the past and start the Evolve app - et voilà, it works
This trick most probably also works with EPIC then.

BTW: the current version of "Evolve-R BMW" (1.0.0 Build 0558) will expire on August, 31st 2012. (but maybe that's just with my fresh test installation)

Last edited by Mautflucht; 06-14-2012 at 02:16 AM.
Mautflucht is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
Imran@Evolve
 
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

Posts: 2,058
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
Thanks for the feedback. We will soon implement an easier way to get the latest version of Evolve-R SW without asking for it. I appreciate it is a PITA.
Imran@Evolve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Imran@Evolve
 
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

Posts: 2,058
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichard20 View Post
Sure, couple notes though. I used the JB4 and Cobb when they were first released. I know updates have been released so what I used is probably different from the user experience now. Also not of these results are based off a dyno, just my butt

The JB4 was the first tune I installed on the 335i. I had had the version prior but got it with the free upgrade so I just waited until the 4 was released before installing it. This was before the release of the handheld flash tuners. The install takes longer as you need to dive under the hood and get to the actual ECU to install the unit but the install is not bad. The JB4 felt the strongest to me. The power really kicks in when your in the power band and felt the most unnatural. The JB4 did have some really cool features, map switching using the gauge cluster, taking over gauges to act as a boost gauge, etc. I did have one of my units go bad. Customer Service was excellent and received a replacement quickly with no hassle but it did turn me off a little.

I was happy with the performance of the JB4 but the hardware failing as well as needing to pull out and reinstall for any service visits made me try the Cobb. One word to describe Cobb, slick. Their tuning device is very nice, simple to use color GUI. There app is well designed, auto updates, no problems. Everything will update through the app with just couple clicks (app, firmware for tuner, new maps). Plenty of map options. The power bump did not feel as strong and while power delivery felt more stock I felt drivability was not as strong. I believe a lot of these issues have been corrected with updates.

I was happy with Cobb but was not amazed. With the 1M I wanted to try something different. I know Evolve has been getting great reviews and I wanted to continue with a tune that I can flash from my own home. My only complaint is the process is not as smooth. When purchased they send you a link to the latest software package. The problem with the software is it currently does not auto update and the software will expire allowing you not use it. They do this from what I understand to ensure you are running the latest version. Not a big deal, you email customer service and they got me the latest version in couple hours. During the time I was all hooked up and ready to go. I know now to load up the version before setting up in case an update is needed. I believe they plan to have it auto update in the future. If not it would be nice if when logging into the Evolve website you can download from there as well as there appears to be a download section. For the tune I sent my ECU data last Thursday and received it yesterday (roughly a week). I understand the tune was ready to go earlier but it got lost to me in email or was not sent so I am glad I followed up with them yesterday. Very small details but I want to be fair in my review. With a device like the Cobb your pretty much ready to go right away. Now when you do send a tune they do ask for your mods. Not sure if the tune is pretty much canned or they do minor adjustments depending on your mods so there can be a plus here if the tune you are provided is more "custom". Or they might just check your mod list to see what stage to send you. As I said I have not had much play time but the tune feels like a stock 1M with more power. Power delivery is smooth and consistent, no surging, nothing to hint that it could not be delivered from the factory this way. All the buttons like the M button function as they did stock. We see when the times come but I been thinking about picking up a new M3 when they are released. Evolve is currently my tuner of choice if I do.
Glad you are liking the tune. Thanks for the constructive criticism - we will take it on board!
Imran@Evolve is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
Mautflucht
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 5
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We will soon implement an easier way to get the latest version of Evolve-R SW without asking for it. I appreciate it is a PITA.
Oh, that's good news, Imran - thanks!

There's already a "Check for software updates on the internet" link on main screen, but it's not working unfortunately. Why not just make this function working?
Mautflucht is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
diegorst
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
I was trying to read my ECU using Evolve-R tonight and got an error message. I'm a bit worried about this....
So I spoke with Evolve about my issue and they told me the USB cable was probably faulty. They sent a new cable from the UK to Peru and it took a few days in customs but I finally got it today!
I read my ECU with no trouble at all, it took 1 hour. I already e-mailed it to Evolve so hopefully I will get it back tomorrow to able to use it this weekend!!
__________________
Diego RdS - Lima, Perú
2011 /// 1M Coupe - BSM
diegorst is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
Thibs
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2011 VW GTI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 46
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegorst View Post
So I spoke with Evolve about my issue and they told me the USB cable was probably faulty. They sent a new cable from the UK to Peru and it took a few days in customs but I finally got it today!
I read my ECU with no trouble at all, it took 1 hour. I already e-mailed it to Evolve so hopefully I will get it back tomorrow to able to use it this weekend!!
Good luck with that I sent them my file June 18th and haven't received it yet. I was told on monday that i was bumped up to the front of the line.... still nothing.
Thibs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 01:01 PM   #19
diegorst
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibs View Post
Good luck with that I sent them my file June 18th and haven't received it yet. I was told on monday that i was bumped up to the front of the line.... still nothing.
You should talk to Imran from Evolve, he'll help you out!
__________________
Diego RdS - Lima, Perú
2011 /// 1M Coupe - BSM
diegorst is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
diegorst
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

So I got my Evolve tune back yesterday and programmed it as soon as I could....the process took about 15 minutes which were a bit tense because during the process I got a few error messages on the display like "DSC fail" and "Tire pressure monitor failure", and I heard a sort of blowing sound from under the car, but the programming was completed and everything got sorted out. Is this the same with everyone that tuned their car?
The tune itself feels amazing! A loot more responsive, incredible push through the range and it's scary fast!!! I haven't felt such an adrenaline rush since I first bought my 1M last year....it just puts a smile on your face!
The only problem I have is that right after I finished loading the tune and I turned on my car, I got a "Service due" message and it said I'm 9000 kms past due. Currently I have about 9500 kms on my car and I just had the oil changed less than a month ago at about 9000 kms. The message said: Engine Oil change overdue! Please arrange an appointment with Service urgently." I wanted to know if anyone else got a problem like this and if this message can be removed using the evolve cable and software!
Thanks!
__________________
Diego RdS - Lima, Perú
2011 /// 1M Coupe - BSM
diegorst is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
diegorst
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lima, Peru

Posts: 139
iTrader: (0)

So I got my service due message reset by the dealer (before I took it there I re-programmed the ECU back to stock) and everything was fine. I re-tuned my 1M afterwards and it is running smoothly and amazingly!! I really love the tune!!! It's powerful but totally drivable!!
I highly recommend this tune....and this is before I even install my maddad midpipe and akrapovic slip on (with the wireless kit) which should arrive in about a month! Can't wait to see how the tune works with those add-ons!!!
__________________
Diego RdS - Lima, Perú
2011 /// 1M Coupe - BSM
diegorst is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #22
lightning
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 1M AW
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

After reading the reviews and contemplating for the longest time, I ordered, and just installed mine. my car is on akra evo e8haust w wireless kit and ER chargepipe w Tial BOV.

Just to add my 2 cents, this tune is great. It pulls much better from the 1st to the 3rd gears.. value for money and the improvements are definitely obvious. Also, the service from Evolve is top class. Kudos to them.
lightning is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST