Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Stage 2 Except for... Help!

I am Stage 2 except for:

- stock down pipes

- stock intake system w/ K&N drop in filter

I am debating whether I should upgrade one or both... and which one first?

I live in FL so running an open intake, like I have in the passed has been something I have been on the fence about/ trying to avoid. I ran one with my 135i and JB+ and the heat soak would came on so fast and felt like it would just not go away. Like the engine was only taking in hot engine bay air. The LAST thing I want is inconsistency... I was contemplating closed aFe system or a dual cone setup. And for the DPs, most likely will look for a used set of Akra's to keep everything uniform. Any help/ direction is appreciated!

2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
takrdown
Other car was a submarine
Rep
Drives: i4M50 (waiting), 2013 R56 JCW

From everything I've read (keep that in mind as I don't have a DP, but have BMS dual cones)....the BMW OEM intake is so damn efficient that the gains you will see from a new intake are negligible compared to a new DP (2 to 3 times more HP gains with the DP). DP is the way to go, no question. If you want to do both....I'm sure others will chime in.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by takrdown View Post
From everything I've read (keep that in mind as I don't have a DP, but have BMS dual cones)....the BMW OEM intake is so damn efficient that the gains you will see from a new intake are negligible compared to a new DP (2 to 3 times more HP gains with the DP). DP is the way to go, no question. If you want to do both....I'm sure others will chime in.
You could have not said/ explained this any better! Thanks so much man! On the hunt now for a used set of Akra DP's
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Splinterz88
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.86]
OP I did not see what intercooler are you using? Are you experiencing heat soak with your current setup?
#446 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
OP I did not see what intercooler are you using? Are you experiencing heat soak with your current setup?
Yesterday was my first real test (althought I am still waiting to get DPs on to get the full affect) but yesterday, I was on the highway for about 20 miles with two crotch rockets. It was 83* degrees and we did not go below 110MPH. We were cruising between 110-150MPH for the 20 miles. The car never heat soaked before/ after or during! I was pretty much at a constant speed and never gave the car a break. I took a picture as soon as I got off the highway to report my temps. The BMS thermostat mod (oil cooler will run full time not just at certain higher temp points) is the best bang for the buck mod! $60 for drastically lower temps, I am talking 20-30* lower than usual, coupled with a FMIC it is that much more effective! Keep in mind I am still running stock box with K&N filter, I also feel this set up is mighty efficient and will NOT change! Again, the only change I will be making is adding down pipes. The car has way more power and is cooler than it has ever been! I never thought doing Stage 2 the right way, would actually make the car feel that much stronger and more consistent than stock. Inconsistency has been my main reason for not tuning, my car feels more consistent than it ever has been and again, with way more power than it has ever had!

2011 E82 1M #215 of 740

Last edited by bmw13; 05-20-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
Yesterday was my first real test (althought I am still waiting to get DPs on to get the full affect) but yesterday...
Could you do before/after dyno? From what I know, and I know little, changing DP will give you small gain on 1M, money better spent elsewhere... $/value ratio is too high... but hey, if you have a buck to burn here and there, why not!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
Could you do before/after dyno? From what I know, and I know little, changing DP will give you small gain on 1M, money better spent elsewhere... $/value ratio is too high... but hey, if you have a buck to burn here and there, why not!
And that is exactly why I opted to not get DP's initially. I could always get them later! But after driving the car for a couple weeks now, I can feel the low end hp/tq I am leaving on the table. Plus, I wouldn't mind the race car smell nor the extra noise
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13
But after driving the car for a couple weeks now, I can feel the low end hp/tq I am leaving on the table.
Can you clarify what you're trying to say? Is there noticeable lag? When do you feel power dropping off with the tune?

Thanks!

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Can you clarify what you're trying to say? Is there noticeable lag? When do you feel power dropping off with the tune?

Thanks!
There is no lag and I can feel that! The car is always ready/ eager to jump. With that said, I can also feel how the stock DP's are still quite restrictive. Like I said, it's like having a little more than over boost all the time & throughout the whole range, no lag and no serious power drop off. I feel I am that close to perfection with this set up. Anyone is welcome to give the car a drive and feel the monster for themselves! I always shift @ 6K regardless. I am still getting used to not pushing the sport button every time I start the car; as you really do not need it with this software. I drive W/O "sport" now. I strictly use "sport" for highway and very aggressive back to back city driving.

I live strongly by "action speaks louder than words" Below, is my buddy's car and I know the car never/ rarely has problems. Fastest PDK 997(w/ no weight reduction) on stock turbos in the world! All thanks to GIAC! Tuned for smoothness and success!

The software works with the car/ motor not against it and you can tell by the way the car pulls: smooth and linear and NO breaking up what so ever! I will definitely be tuning again, and you can bet the only software any my cars will see is a GIAC flash. (Main reason: cars are pushed to what they are capable of, and not overpowered/ overworked.) Other cars I have been in with similar set ups but NO GIAC, (Burger, Activ etc.) equipped vehicles tend to break up the pull, almost as if you can feel the ECU fighting against the software. That is not software I would be putting on my vehicle personally. My car is handling heat and temperature/ hard driving better than it ever has, including when stock! You can bet I will not go back to stock nor have the slightest desire too. I did such a spirited drive yesterday and had absolutely no heat soak/ problems/ issues, when normally on that same drive I would! I know people will doubt what I am saying, and that is okay; I understand that actions speak louder than words and I invite you, to please drive my car and feel the difference for yourself. Anyone local or visiting that seriously wants to compare/ give it a go, please just let me know!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740

Last edited by bmw13; 05-20-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Down pipes will provide a serious gain, intake is a wash, before heat soak it will help and be near neutral once heat soaked. The extra turbo noise is nice though. Much has changed in the jb4 world, a much smoother product not that it will be as smooth as giac, but you wouldn't need to think in terms of stages, you could get your downpipes, leave it on an auto tune map or log it and send to terry for custom, either way you'd get the gains of a new tune; only hear great things about giac though. No one will ever see your dp's so consider the bms dp's, probably all the performance and half the price of a used ar or akra setup.
      05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

I thought Harold confirmed that the 1M had a different downpipe than the 135 and that it was more free flowing which is why DP wasn't a requirement for one of the GIAC stage tunes.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I thought Harold confirmed that the 1M had a different downpipe than the 135 and that it was more free flowing which is why DP wasn't a requirement for one of the GIAC stage tunes.
It's freer flowing, but nothing flows better than nothing at all.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
It's freer flowing, but nothing flows better than nothing at all.

True...lol. I found the thread where Harold said they gained 8-12 whp.

http:// http://www.1addicts.com/foru...9&postcount=22
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

1/4 mile?

Bmw13,

Be a nice guy and tell us what 1/4 mile time you're running, buddy!!
Appreciate 0