BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
ExREX
Private First Class
 
ExREX's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i & x3 30d
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)

x3 vs x5

Thinking on upgrading the family car to an x3 or x5 both 30d.

The dealer priced up two quotes and with the current discounts on x5 (innovations pack $9k for free) there is only about $10k difference between the two $96k vs $106k like for like options.

Interested in peoples comments as i assume many 135 owners also have an X for the family car.

Also wondering what sort of discount i can expect off list price?

Sorry no regional forums for the SUVs so thought i would post here
ExREX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
dtcoff
Private
 
Drives: 2009 125i M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 79
iTrader: (0)

I was thinking of changing my X5 3.0d E53 to the new X3 when it came out about a year ago. I was quoted in the low $80k range for a 3.0d (as then unreleased). You should certainly fight for a big discount as the X3 isn't running out the doors and the X5 E70 is in it's last years and MB have dropped $$$ on the ML. Decided to keep the E53 for a while longer as I didn't see the $50k changeover value.
__________________
2014 X3 3.0d / M sport / AW / Sunroof
2009 125i Coupe / M Sport / AW / 6MT/ Sunroof / 261 + MPSS / BMW Performance CF Spoiler, Stripes, Strut brace
dtcoff is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,782
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
Thinking on upgrading the family car to an x3 or x5 both 30d.

The dealer priced up two quotes and with the current discounts on x5 (innovations pack $9k for free) there is only about $10k difference between the two $96k vs $106k like for like options.

Interested in peoples comments as i assume many 135 owners also have an X for the family car.

Also wondering what sort of discount i can expect off list price?

Sorry no regional forums for the SUVs so thought i would post here
Bought X3 a year ago and delivered in November. You definitely getting more bang for buck for the X5, but it is an ageing car. My wife were having problems with the height of the X5, so ended up buying the X3.

I don't know what the current demand/supply on the X3 is. There wasn't enough cars to go around when I bought it, but it was new. I was reading the 125i/135i thread earlier. What I wrote about price was it all depends on timing, demand and incentives. I can add a new one to that list - relationship.

Aussies just post on the X3 main forum. There are a few of us there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcoff View Post
I was thinking of changing my X5 3.0d E53 to the new X3 when it came out about a year ago. I was quoted in the low $80k range for a 3.0d (as then unreleased). You should certainly fight for a big discount as the X3 isn't running out the doors and the X5 E70 is in it's last years and MB have dropped $$$ on the ML. Decided to keep the E53 for a while longer as I didn't see the $50k changeover value.
low $80k has a poverty pack or lower specs.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Alpine*
Brigadier General
 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Its just me but I would chase one of these, at the right price of course

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/deta...rice:Min,Max~1
Alpine* is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
ND40oz
Lieutenant
 
ND40oz's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 135i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Denver

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

I went in looking to get an X3 but in the end it was just too small, couple that with the relatively small difference in price, it just seemed you got a lot more car for your money with the X5, so we went that route.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
ND40oz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
 
amk2912's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (0)

If you can stretch the $$$ go for the 40d - one helluva sweet motor - pulls like a freight train!
__________________
2012 BMW F10 520d M-Sport
2010 BMW E70 X5 xdrive40d

amk2912 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Superdaws
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport Le Mans Blue
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 334
iTrader: (0)

We went the X5 30D over the X3 purely on size. X3 30D went well but that was the only + and its hardly needed on the family wagon. Ended up getting a x5 30D Sports Innovations and love it!
__________________

2010 BMW 135i M Sport 6MT | Le Mans Blue | Black Leather / Poplar Grain | Professional Nav | BMW Perf CF Rear Diffuser | BMW Perf CF Rear Spoiler | Kerscher CF Front Lip | Procede V5 | LUX Angel Eyes | Alpine Hifi
2010 BMW E70 X5 30D Sports Innovation | Sapphire Black | Black Leather | LUX Angel Eyes
Superdaws is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
 
Dr Stig 2's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Demon!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
We bought the X3 30D.

I felt it handled better and accelerated far better than the X5.
(It has more power and torque in the X3 tune, and 400kg less to carry around)

To be comparable in performance I had to look at the X5 40D and witht he gadgets it was $140K, compared to $105K with the X3 30D.

Even with the run out pricing on the X5, I was not going to get it that close. Maybe $120K for the X5.

I haggled the X3 down to $95K, and like Steve, I had to wait for 3-4 months last year.

While I would have gained a larger car and more metal for the money if I went for a X5 30D, I would have always been regretting not stumping up the extra for the 40D.

Being wider though, my wife would have knocked all the paint off the sides of the X5 by now.

Part of me still regrets it as the X3 is not as big a car as we are used to, but in the end we dont need to play football in the thing.

In a year or so if I come into some more money I might upgrade to the new X5, but not now as I know the current X5 will take a big depreciation hit as soon as the new ones hit the streets.
__________________

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Dr Stig 2 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
ExREX
Private First Class
 
ExREX's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i & x3 30d
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
We bought the X3 30D.

I felt it handled better and accelerated far better than the X5.
(It has more power and torque in the X3 tune, and 400kg less to carry around)

To be comparable in performance I had to look at the X5 40D and witht he gadgets it was $140K, compared to $105K with the X3 30D.

Even with the run out pricing on the X5, I was not going to get it that close. Maybe $120K for the X5.

I haggled the X3 down to $95K, and like Steve, I had to wait for 3-4 months last year.

While I would have gained a larger car and more metal for the money if I went for a X5 30D, I would have always been regretting not stumping up the extra for the 40D.

Being wider though, my wife would have knocked all the paint off the sides of the X5 by now.

Part of me still regrets it as the X3 is not as big a car as we are used to, but in the end we dont need to play football in the thing.

In a year or so if I come into some more money I might upgrade to the new X5, but not now as I know the current X5 will take a big depreciation hit as soon as the new ones hit the streets.
Great feedback from all thanks! Stig just to be clear did you negotiate from $105k to $95k?

Thanks
ExREX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
HecticX5
FULLY!
 
Drives: Torqueasaurus
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Its just me but I would chase one of these, at the right price of course

http://www.carsales.com.au/demo/deta...rice:Min,Max~1
If i was in the market again i would jump on that. If you can get any 40d for similar dosh i would forget the X3. I have a 30d and my best mate has an m-sports X3 30d (he paid 96k well optioned and slightly discounted), for performance id go for the X3 and for more space (if needed) id go for a the X5. If your budget can stretch to 110k i would recommend a 40d (well discounted at that price) and would be extremely happy with the performance and bang for your buck factor.
HecticX5 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Alpine*
Brigadier General
 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Drool....

X5 M50d
280kw & 740Nm

Whoar
http://www.ausmotive.com/2012/05/17/...n-pricing.html

Dollars
Alpine* is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,782
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Drool....

X5 M50d
280kw & 740Nm

Whoar
http://www.ausmotive.com/2012/05/17/...n-pricing.html

Dollars
I hope they are not deleting the X5M in the Aus line up.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
Alpine*
Brigadier General
 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 3,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I hope they are not deleting the X5M in the Aus line up.
Mate they won't, in ~12 months they would be left with only the M5/6 cars in the M range, there will be a gap till the M2/3/4 cars get here and that would leave them very exposed to Mer and Audi in product.
Alpine* is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
 
amk2912's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Drool....

X5 M50d
280kw & 740Nm

Whoar
http://www.ausmotive.com/2012/05/17/...n-pricing.html

Dollars
Crap! Our spec'd up 40d was around $138k . $147k for the X5 M50d would have been within range
__________________
2012 BMW F10 520d M-Sport
2010 BMW E70 X5 xdrive40d

amk2912 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,782
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Crap! Our spec'd up 40d was around $138k . $147k for the X5 M50d would have been within range
Probably, especially they are giving us more specs due to the $. It is below parity now (actually first sign of reversal - just checked) but BMW still make lots of money in our cars. I would say the M50d would be pretty spec up. Get that extra 20% in that key molecule and you can get your 50d .

But wait - we better save our $ as all those patents dries up in 2.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #16
amk2912
Lieutenant Colonel
 
amk2912's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Get that extra 20% in that key molecule and you can get your 50d . But wait - we better save our $ as all those patents dries up in 2.
All mine's going into debt reduction
__________________
2012 BMW F10 520d M-Sport
2010 BMW E70 X5 xdrive40d

amk2912 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,782
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
All mine's going into debt reduction
Everyone is doing the same .
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
 
Dr Stig 2's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a Demon!
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 1,458
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExREX View Post
Great feedback from all thanks! Stig just to be clear did you negotiate from $105k to $95k?

Thanks
Yep. Over half was from the EP (exec program) where you get discounted delivery and four years of free servicing.
THe last $5K or so was just my haggling and the strength of my relationship with the dealer. Some have claimed bigger discounts in Oz. It all depends on the dealer and your relationship with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HecticX5 View Post
If your budget can stretch to 110k i would recommend a 40d (well discounted at that price) and would be extremely happy with the performance and bang for your buck factor.
The one on CarSales is a used car though. Not exactly a like for like comparison.
(Although if you can get a BMW approved used you can get free servicing and an extended warranty - which is a pretty good deal for a used car)
__________________

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Dr Stig 2 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #19
BBK
Banned
 
Drives: A boring one...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 3,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [2.88]
Just imagining the kind of Range Rover Evoque you could get for the money we're talking here...
BBK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2012, 12:00 AM   #20
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Just imagining the kind of Range Rover Evoque you could get for the money we're talking here...
imagine if they made one with an engine to match the money we are talking here, then it would be worth buying, atm its only good for hairdressers
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #21
BBK
Banned
 
Drives: A boring one...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 3,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [2.88]
Errr... we are not talking track made super cars here (do 30d's have LSD's?) . We're talking family run arounds. The styling makes up for the lack in power (torque) in spades.

Of course, if you don't care about looking and feeling good in a car then get the boring one :-p
BBK is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #22
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
 
OOOSQ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2.0d AW X3 M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 348
iTrader: (0)

Spent 10 minutes looking at the Evoque. Imo - not even half the car of the X3.

I paid $76K for my 2.0d with: high gloss 19's / sunroof / nav / bixenons / msport pack / towbar
__________________
OOOSQ is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST