BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #133
MrBlonde
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!

Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Ouch! we are very different people Kenny but with one similar interest here.
Yeh sure Kenny. You and your OCD with weight, looks and image you would love to be seen in a vert. Maybe you can sell that M Coupe and by a nice 650i vert.
You're right about vanity (actually it's worse than you think) but I don't like 'verts for two reasons: 1 my Anglo Saxon skin gets sunburnt living in Sydney too easily! 2 I prefer the lines of a coupe.

I'm not into big bulky grandpa racer cars like 650 coupe or Aston Martin, et al. But I see others like 'em and each to their own.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
      11-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #134
Alpine*
Brigadier General

Drives: CLK63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I would never own a vert of any kind. Or an automatic!

Good we all have individual tastes.
+1
Alpine* is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #135
JB4-335
Colonel

Drives: E92 BSM & E91 BSM

I wasn't a fan of vert's either. I was in the market for a coupe. Actually this is my first one and I never planned to modify it in any way. Mmmmmmm so much for that.
      11-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #136
Zuzu
Major General

Drives: VO 1M Beast

Quote:
I wasn't a fan of vert's either. I was in the market for a coupe. Actually this is my first one and I never planned to modify it in any way. Mmmmmmm so much for that.
Was my first vert also..Absolutely loved the 3 years of topless driving.. especially in winter with roof down, windows up and the heated seats warming the toosh..
Zuzu is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #137
MrBlonde
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!

Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Was my first vert also..Absolutely loved the 3 years of topless driving.. especially in winter with roof down, windows up and the heated seats warming the toosh..
That's exactly when verts are good value in Australia! I know some have the olive or darker skin to handle the sun during the warmer months but it just fucks me up.

I LOVE bum warmers. Totally love them!

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
      11-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #138
Zuzu
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I LOVE bum warmers. Totally love them!
True.. First option box, my wife made me tick on the 1M.. Standard on the 135i vert.
      11-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #139
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

Quote:
A 1M vert would be the ultimate. It's the same old story with 135, the vert just looks a 1000000000000000000 times better.
      11-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #140
NPVPositive
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 1M

I've always believed that verts aren't really for sunny days at all. Used to have an MX-5 and it was miserable on hot sunny days.

Brits are perfect evidence. Weather is shocking there but they LOVE their convertibles. Drive them with the top down and the heat on full blast.

Clarkson on the 1M
NPVPositive is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 03:23 AM   #141
Ian///M
Major General

Enough with this 1M vert crap

Was at EC raceway today. Alex's (beemer) BSM 1M shone even in the wet... damn outstanding car! Sadly the 1M put my 135i (and Alex's dad's 135i) to shame
      11-17-2011, 03:53 AM   #142
Alpine*
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Enough with this 1M vert crap

Was at EC raceway today. Alex's (beemer) BSM 1M shone even in the wet... damn outstanding car! Sadly the 1M put my 135i (and Alex's dad's 135i) to shame
Oh, please elaborate.
      11-17-2011, 04:05 AM   #143
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Oh, please elaborate.
Well Alex & his dad swapped cars (1M vs 135i with JB4) for a session, so that took driver skills out of the equation. 1M way faster due to better handling... I never drove the 1M, but my car was passed by it and then followed the 1M for 2 laps and admire how it well it handled vs the less settled 135i.

Also the power delivery from the 1M seems smoother, where tunes like the JB/PROcede have more sudden/violent power delivery.
      11-17-2011, 04:10 AM   #144
pcockley
Banned

Drives: 335

You chaps need to come to Wakefield in December so we can compare a 1M and a 335!!!!

Come on chaps man up otherwise it's me (with BMW) against the poobs :-(
      11-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #145
Alpine*
Brigadier General

Thanks Ian.

Good feedback for many of us, no under lying meaning to my comments guys.
      11-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #146
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Thanks Ian.

Good feedback for many of us, no under lying meaning to my comments guys.
... may have been a closer battle in the dry... the grip on my car is great in the dry with the mods, but very tricky in the wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
You chaps need to come to Wakefield in December so we can compare a 1M and a 335!!!!

Come on chaps man up otherwise it's me (with BMW) against the poobs :-(
Good luck at WF. I have heard it is the wild west out there.
      11-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #147
beemer
force fed Member

Drives: BSM 1M

yeah in the wet the difference is huge between the 2 as the tune means nothing, probably much less in the dry, you should of had a drive of it when i offered, however it will be much sweeter when you finally take delivery of yours. we will have to do a burrows day when you get your 1M Ian

i think in the wet the tune is just too much for the 135i to handle, the jB4 has an uncomfortable power delivery which really had me sh&%ting myself in the wet lol, but my old man just can't help himself, now he wants to go mod crazy

after today i don't think the 1m would benefit much from a tune, power is great but it has to be delivered in a usable way

edit; i forgot to mention Ian, with all those mods, virtually no kms, your car is a bargain, my old man wants it, but i talked him out of it as he would probably kill himself in it.

Last edited by beemer; 11-17-2011 at 04:56 AM.
beemer is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 05:06 AM   #148
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
yeah in the wet the difference is huge between the 2 as the tune means nothing, probably much less in the dry, you should of had a drive of it when i offered, however it will be much sweeter when you finally take delivery of yours. we will have to do a burrows day when you get your 1M Ian

i think in the wet the tune is just too much for the 135i to handle, the jB4 has an uncomfortable power delivery which really had me sh&%ting myself in the wet lol, but my old man just can't help himself, now he wants to go mod crazy

after today i don't think the 1m would benefit much from a tune, power is great but it has to be delivered in a usable way

edit; i forgot to mention Ian, with all those mods, virtually no kms, your car is a bargain, my old man wants it, but i talked him out of it as he would probably kill himself in it.
re your old man... he does seem mod-crazy. He should get a MT rather than an AT if he is into the track days. I could tell he was keen on mine... safer than his wild AW 135i !

Sounds like the JB4 is a handful...all or nothing, while the PROcede on my N55 is more balanced by the sounds of it, although I was a bit chicken in the wet today!

I'll let you know when next Burrows Track day is... also I am VERY keen on their skidpan day... it was the most fun I have had in my car

check out: http://www.eventsoneill.com/Home/Dri...ows-Drive-Days
      11-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #149
M1one1M
Banned

Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post

Alex,

If I was you I would still consider a flash tune, they are regarded as a lot smoother in their power delivery compared to the piggybacks.
Ask Andrew from Southern BM about this he will back me up, especially in regard to the ESS. The other reviews of the ESS flash have shown this to be the case too.
M1one1M is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #150
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1one1M View Post
Alex,

If I was you I would still consider a flash tune, they are regarded as a lot smoother in their power delivery compared to the piggybacks.
Ask Andrew from Southern BM about this he will back me up, especially in regard to the ESS. The other reviews of the ESS flash have shown this to be the case too.
+1 on no to piggy backs. N55 don't have an option currently. ESS is appealing and I may go down that road once I have seen some results on the 1M.
The gains are not so big as with the 135i, so temptation is to keep the 1M in stock form. An Akra and possibly an ESS will be on my list within a year.
      11-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #151
Zuzu
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1one1M View Post
Alex,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
+1 on no to piggy backs. N55 don't have an option currently. ESS is appealing and I may go down that road once I have seen some results on the 1M.
The gains are not so big as with the 135i, so temptation is to keep the 1M in stock form. An Akra and possibly an ESS will be on my list within a year.
Have to agree.. The more I research the ESS tune, the more appealing it is.

The smoother extra power delivery, on top of the already potent 1M, is what I find as the added bonus with the ESS.
      11-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #152
Zuzu
Major General

Although, I havent even really tested and appreciated the full power of the 1M in stock form..Waiting for the 2K service...1.5K to go..

Have been giving her some, but not sustained extended power delivery, only short squirts.
      11-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #153
beemer
force fed Member

Drives: BSM 1M

After driving the 135i with a JB4 i found it rendered the car useless in the wet. in the dry its alot better but all the throttle response and finesse and any connection with the motor and car disappearsas well, its like driving a jet engine, its on or off. no thanks.

if bmw have spent huge amounts of cash researching and testing to make a turbo m car with as much throttle response as a na car and making the driver feel as linked to the car as possible i don't want to throw that out the window for the sake of 10% more power.
for me throttle response and connection to the motor and car are key, and the m car is designed to do that, so i am happy stock.

the only mod i would do is the exhaust, maybe
beemer is offline   Australia
      11-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #154
RaihaX
Major General

Drives: 08' 135i

Throttle response seems fine on my car
RaihaX is offline   Australia