BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-04-2011, 01:43 PM   #23
igzekyativ
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Alpine White

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
I use 3/4 baltic birch plywood pieces. Others have reported using short pieces of rectangular steel tube.... I made two piece wood blocks for my jack stands becaue they have a hole in the center of the contact point.
got any photos?

2009 BMW 135i Alpine White.. Auto w/ Steptronic.. Purchased 3/29/2011.. MODS: COBB Accessport, CP-e catback, flat black kindney grills, ///M pedals, LUX V3, Trailer Hitch, Thule Hitch Mounted Bike Rack..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #24
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzekyativ View Post
I need the stands so that I can swap summer and winter tires.. also, much easier to clean the wheels if I can just pop them off really quick..
Wheel changing, don't bother with jack-stands, they'r a PIA... go with a nice lower profile jack and a BMW jack pad from http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html
      11-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #25
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I'm starting to wonder if we're talking about the same thing. To make sure, these are the jack stands I have:

You'd have to pay me a lot to get under that car.
      11-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #26
fourtailpipes
Major

Drives: OPCs

i haven't been comfortable with any of the configurations i've seen using the Y-head jack stands. even with the adapters for BMW jack points, they still don't jive well. i got these torin aluminum racing jack stands from harbor freight a few years ago, and they are PERFECT for the jack pads on modern bimmers. no adapters required, since the jack pad fits nicely within the head of the stand.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #27
nato-main-man-5am
special

Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Wheel changing, don't bother with jack-stands, they'r a PIA... go with a nice lower profile jack and a BMW jack pad from http://burgertuning.com/BMW_jack_pad_adapter.html
I'm totally and completely not understanding how this adapter works. Do you mean you jack up the central jack point in the front, with this adapter, and change the front wheels, and then lower it and do that in the back?

Cause right now, this is the solution I'm living with, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I'm starting to wonder if we're talking about the same thing. To make sure, these are the jack stands I have:

I insert the adapter just like the piece of wood you can see in this pic (borrowed from another thread), place the stands sideways like the red ones, and lower onto the stands. These stands are flatter than mine, and I guess my stands are flatter than yours, so maybe it won't fit, but there's no problem with my stands.

Euro spec wide mirrors; sport wheel + paddles; staggered sport rims with Conti ExtremeContact DW. JL Audio 600/6 + technic harness; Gladen Audio 8" Woofers + musicarnw adapters; Morel Hybrid Ovations. For sale: Msport front & rear sways, springs, & rear struts; OEM 264 staggered sport rims -- the most aggressive OEM rims for the 1 series.
Appreciate 0