BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #67
pcockley
Banned

Drives: 335

Thanks for the update. I am not 100% on the 'OE thermostat housing bypass/blanking plate' bit.

Are you planning on replacing the stock oil cooler like the Stett kit you have or will this be an additional oil cooler in front of the radiator.
      11-22-2011, 06:26 PM   #68
MrBlonde
Welcome! To the House of Batiatus!

Drives: 368 M Coupe, E82 135i, E70 X5

Send a message via MSN to MrBlonde
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
Thanks for the update. I am not 100% on the 'OE thermostat housing bypass/blanking plate' bit.

Are you planning on replacing the stock oil cooler like the Stett kit you have or will this be an additional oil cooler in front of the radiator.
You will never buy this kit, so why ask more questions?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
      11-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #69
pcockley
Banned

Well someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning?

Seriously how can you compare this 'kit' with whats on the market unless you understand how it works?
      11-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #70
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

here we go again!
      11-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #71
MrBlonde

Quote:
Well someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning?

Seriously how can you compare this 'kit' with whats on the market unless you understand how it works?
Not at all. You stated you are making a buying decision based on what you've read from US posters with a circa $300 USD cost. There's no way you're going to pay for this kit, so why bother asking more detailed questions?

11-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #72
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
I think he is referring to me :-)

In my defense I only claim it is outrageous based on the dudes in the states DIY's where they show you and say all this for 300, plus their time of course.
Kenny why so angry dude? still upset about the 1M huh...

If you are going to quote me at least get the quote right. Feel free to explain how the oil cooler is going to work. because I also stated my preference was for a kit that worked in parrallel with the stock cooler with the additional cooler in front of the radiator, but to date this has not been stated.

I think everyone who has been to advan is more than happy with pete's work but I think it is only fair and reasonable to understand how the kit will work
      11-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #73
JD75
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 135i coupe'

Quote:
Hey Paul,

essentially the OE thermostat must be bypassed via an always open/pass through adapter plate.

Without the above you will not have full oil flow throughout the cooler until almost 115 degrees Celsius, this is why many of you guys see operating temps of around 120 degrees Celsius in stop and go traffic.

Here is a pic of the thermostat housing adapter plate that was supplied with my Stett Stage 2 kit.

Pete will fab up a similar plate, that will allow the oil to flow without restriction in and out of the OE housing and onto the replacement thermostat mounted externally.

The new thermostat will be fully open by approximately 90 degrees Celsius, which will in turn will see a noticeable drop in start-stop traffic oil operating temperatures.

More importantly when tracking the car, with the significant airflow across the oil cooler core temps will no longer continue climb quickly and go beyond 125 degrees Celsius, as is the case with OE setup.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 11-23-2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Typo
      11-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #74
MrBlonde

Quote:
Kenny why so angry dude? still upset about the 1M huh...

If you are going to quote me at least get the quote right. Feel free to explain how the oil cooler is going to work. because I also stated my preference was for a kit that worked in parrallel with the stock cooler with the additional cooler in front of the radiator, but to date this has not been stated.

I think everyone who has been to advan is more than happy with pete's work but I think it is only fair and reasonable to understand how the kit will work
I'm not angry or upset Paul and I don't own a 1M nor am I emotionally invested in what anyone thinks of them.

I'm just saying you're never going to pay Advan Performance $2,500 for an aftermarket cooling solution and I'm wondering why you would still ask detailed questions about that product.

It's a logical question with no emotional content attached!

11-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #75
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD75 View Post
Hey Paul,

essentially the OE thermostat must be bypassed via an always open/pass through adapter plate.

Without the above you will not have full oil flow throughout the cooler until almost 115 degrees Celsius, this is why many of you guys see operating temps of around 120 degrees Celsius in stop and go traffic.

Here is a pic of the thermostat housing adapter plate that was supplied with my Stett Stage 2 kit.

Pete will fab up a similar plate, that will allow the oil to flow without restriction in and out of the OE housing and onto the replacement thermostat mounted externally.

The new thermostat will be fully open by approximately 90 degrees Celsius, which will in turn will see a noticeable drop in start-stop traffic oil operating temperatures.

More importantly when tracking the car, with the significant airflow across the oil cooler core temps will no longer continue climb quickly and go beyond 125 degrees Celsius, as is the case with OE setup.
JD

Thanks I appreciate the time to explain the setup, I was assuming the new thermostat was replacing the OEM unit, but I understand why the new adaptor plate is needed now.

Did you do the radiator AND oil cooler at the same time on your car, just wondering if you saw a difference in cooling between them? From an install timeframe do you have any idea how long this would take, just wondering if it's a day job or if its taxi time?
      11-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #76
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
I'm not angry or upset Paul and I don't own a 1M nor am I emotionally invested in what anyone thinks of them.

I'm just saying you're never going to pay Advan Performance $2,500 for an aftermarket cooling solution and I'm wondering why you would still ask detailed questions about that product.

It's a logical question with no emotional content attached!

MORNING KENNY

Always happy to discuss the inner workings of my 'justification meter' on purchases.

As I have stated previously, I am plannign on attending a track day at wakefield on the 14/12 (come along, I've never been before should be a hoot ) and I am concerned that in traffic I am seeing temps in the middle of the gauge and I am concerned a consistantly high (well high IMHO) of 120 Deg cannot be good for longevity or performance. So my question is what will the temps get to on the track??? I look at the 1M (remember same N54 engine) with twin front mounted oil coolers as an indication of whats needed.

Now that being said, what is required to bring the temps down to a reasonable level? Oil Cooler AND/OR Radiator, will an OIL cooler AND Meth do a similar job?

I guess in short Kenny the reason I am here is to learn, sorry if that bothers you dude lighten up and have a nice day.

IMO one of the best ways to learn would be to ask those who have done this before.

Pete and JD seem to have put some thought and effort into this kit and are proposing a 'package'. I can assure you that they have not done this solely for my benefit or edification. I am also assure you that Pete would like to make a buck at some point and if the members on the forum can better understand his solution and its benefits, then it is in his commercial interest to do so. So if JD/Pete are willing to answer a few questions why have you got your nose out of joint
      11-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #77
MrBlonde

Quote:
MORNING KENNY

Always happy to discuss the inner workings of my 'justification meter' on purchases.

As I have stated previously, I am plannign on attending a track day at wakefield on the 14/12 (come along, I've never been before should be a hoot ) and I am concerned that in traffic I am seeing temps in the middle of the gauge and I am concerned a consistantly high (well high IMHO) of 120 Deg cannot be good for longevity or performance. So my question is what will the temps get to on the track??? I look at the 1M (remember same N54 engine) with twin front mounted oil coolers as an indication of whats needed.

Now that being said, what is required to bring the temps down to a reasonable level? Oil Cooler AND/OR Radiator, will an OIL cooler AND Meth do a similar job?

I guess in short Kenny the reason I am here is to learn, sorry if that bothers you dude lighten up and have a nice day.

IMO one of the best ways to learn would be to ask those who have done this before.

Pete and JD seem to have put some thought and effort into this kit and are proposing a 'package'. I can assure you that they have not done this solely for my benefit or edification. I am also assure you that Pete would like to make a buck at some point and if the members on the forum can better understand his solution and its benefits, then it is in his commercial interest to do so. So if JD/Pete are willing to answer a few questions why have you got your nose out of joint
Paul, it does not bother me if you are here to learn and my nose is not out of joint. I am not emotionally involved in this discussion.

I understand what you are saying; you are never going to buy Advan's package but you would like to ask questions because you're curious and want to understand more.

You also see the questions you're asking as providing a service to other people on the forum who may decide to buy the package from Advan based on reading the responses to your questions.

11-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #78
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
MORNING KENNY

120 deg is fine... over 150 deg is an issue and when DME engine management reduces power. 100-120 deg is optimal temp managed by thermostat setting. I have done many track days and my oil temps have never gone over 120. The only time it went high was on the Advan dyno due to lack of fans blowing on it initially.

Get your facts correct before sprouting unfounded statements. I think the BMW engineers know what they are doing. Do a track day first and then see if it is an issue. Unless your mods are pushing more than 20% over stock, I can't see this being an issue.
      11-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #79
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

JD75/Skycat, is there any reason why you think the OE thermostat pushes temperatures into the 120C. What would be the benefit BMW engineers were angling for with this? The reason I ask is, if the solution to better cooling is having the thermostats action point reduced, wouldn't this be the obvious thing for BMW to do first before sticking extra coolers in the 1M & BMWP Performance Pack?

I'm really concerned about the temps in my car while on the track which hit about 130 sometimes, but the engine ran perfectly well and seemed to be pulling hard as ever. The 120C mark is a mid point on the engine and it seems to love being at this temp. From your extensive experience, is there any benefit to running warmer?

Thanks.
      11-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #80
MrBlonde

11-23-2011, 06:46 PM   #81
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
Get your facts correct before sprouting unfounded statements.
you might want to read my post again, particulary the bit "I am concerned a consistantly high (well high IMHO) of 120 Deg cannot be good for longevity or performance"
      11-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #82
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post

Thanks, very interesting. basically 150 for oil before there's a problem. I guess if you are hitting those numbers more regular oil changes would be a good idea!
      11-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #83
Ian///M
Major General

this topic never seems to die ...further to this I have done half a track day with my PROcede off (map 0) and oil temps ran the same.

Unless you have big mods running over 260kw, I can't see oil temps as an issue.

The PPK comes with aux water radiator as an option for track use, which is the same as that fitted to the 1M I think. From this I can only deduce that BMW either believes that additional water cooling will lead to lower water AND oil temps. On the other hand, the aux water rad may simply be the cheaper solution for BMW?
      11-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #84
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
you might want to read my post again, particulary the bit "I am concerned a consistantly high (well high IMHO) of 120 Deg cannot be good for longevity or performance"
I try to avoid reading anything posted by you or when ever I see that retarded green avatar as it is usually always troll related crap
      11-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #85
pcockley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianf2002 View Post
I try to avoid reading anything posted by you or when ever I see that retarded green avatar as it is usually always troll related crap
Really? I'm hurt
      11-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #86
JB4-335
Colonel

Drives: E92 BSM & E91 BSM

11-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #87
mcmn
Captain

Drives: MY10 AW 135i

If you're running more than 260kws it's liklely your running meth, this itself should keep the oil cool correct?

I need tyres before I'm doing any more modifications..
      11-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #88
BMW86
Major General

Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja

Very tempted to get in on this deal but haven't done any much research on oil coolers. Any thoughts? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614008
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia