BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #1
GS WAX
Rep
Drives: 2012 VO 1 M coupe

Slightly heavy steering

In my search for a car i have just viewed another 1M , private sale,Lovely low mileage example, however,my only concern is compared to all the other examples I have driven this one's steering feels heavier, not solid like it would be with no assistance, more like it had under inflated tyres, it also doesn't centre back very quickly when exiting junctions, just seems slower to react to wheel inputs and is heavier feeling on the move.

Any ideas what could be the problem?, Rack,Pump, Geometry....

Checked tyre pressures, all good and they were brand new too, on accident repairs either that I could see.

Thanks

GS
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #2
E30 Racer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is

What tires are presently installed? Although I have no direct experience with anything other than the original PS2s on my 1M, a number of others have reported the PSS (a very popular PS2 replacement) is a bit more numb. Other than that, I'd be suspect of tire pressure and/or the alignment. You said the pressures were OK, so that removes some uncertainty.

Did the car have the original suspension? If so, could the owner have "returned it back to stock" without having a fresh alignment?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
cSurf
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupé

Garage List
Tires- if they're near end of life or anything other than PS2, you'll notice what you're describing (particularly if they're underinflated). Have a god PPI done to be sure.

Came across a similar phenomenon during my search.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Could be a seizing upper strut mount. Will do exactly what you are describing.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
GS WAX
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far,

Tyres are brand new pirelli Pzero in the correct sizes, drives lovely and straight, no pulls under braking,no bump steer or wandering on uneven surfaces, just felt heavier than all the others for whatever reason....
Potential purchase from the original owner, who assures me its never been modified, certainly looks untouched from my viewing.

If I go through with the sale I will renew the BMW Comprehensive Warranty,which expired a few weeks ago, I have made an accepted offer and as long as this steering issue doesn't turn out to be too drastic then hopefully she " will be mine" :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Could be just tires.

All tires will feel different.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Shroom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M, 2012 X5M, V70R(stick)

If you can get a paint meter, measure the paint and make sure it hasn't had body work. All body panels should be measured for consistency. Out of the three I looked at in my search, two had body work done. Neither were from the original owner but both swore they were straight cars. I'd trust him that it was a clean car but verify before purchase. You can get this done during your PPI. Nothing like the steering feeling off to stick in the back of your mind after purchase. I ended up buying a perfect 5500 mile 1M, but before I bought it I measured paint and had BMW run a full PPI on it. In my opinion, don't buy it until it feels right to you…trust your gut.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
GS WAX
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroom View Post
If you can get a paint meter, measure the paint and make sure it hasn't had body work. All body panels should be measured for consistency. Out of the three I looked at in my search, two had body work done. Neither were from the original owner but both swore they were straight cars. I'd trust him that it was a clean car but verify before purchase. You can get this done during your PPI. Nothing like the steering feeling off to stick in the back of your mind after purchase. I ended up buying a perfect 5500 mile 1M, but before I bought it I measured paint and had BMW run a full PPI on it. In my opinion, don't buy it until it feels right to you…trust your gut.

I have a paint meter, I am a detailer for a living, all measures perfect, its the best one I have seen, this one was my seventh viewing, including one that had less than 5K miles allegedly , its not perfect,needs a scratch repair on rear arch lip and a couple of paintless dent removals done on the bonnet and a small touch up on one of the wheels,but it looks an honest car, and it hasn't been dressed up for sale, so the owner doesn't seem to be hiding anything.
Definitely something I can work with and give my personal stamp too, but at the end of the day its all about the drive and I don't know how to fix that without throwing £££ at it.
You give me wise words,Thank You, I will get a bmw check done to be sure for my head, my gut says buy it, as its just the spec and colour I would have ordered myself, (except I would have had the windscreen grey shade strip option) from new, but the head says but what if!!!!!

Trouble is I cant wait to get one

BTW, your car sounds amazing, when you putting some photos up.....
I would love a black 1 M, real Q car look, but the perfectionist in me means any imperfection I would notice and would bug me, so could never own one
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1-Series M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
When I switched from PS2 to Bridgestone RE11, stickier tire, I also noticed a change. Feels much heavier in low speed maneuvering, like parking lots. Not noticeable at all when at speed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Shroom
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds like it hasn't been hit then so that's a huge relief. I'd say if it passes your PPI with BMW after you have told them about the heavy steering then I'd go for it! Get an extended so If anything creeps up you are covered, and they will also go over the car with a fine tooth comb certifying it. Go for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #11
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Tires and or alignment
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
Piets94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Interesting. I got the opportunity to drive someone else's 1M yesterday and felt that it had a heavier steering feel at low and normal speeds when compared to mine. Still straight and direct, just heavier. I actually preferred the heavier feel and thought that the was something wrong with mine! Both are on the original ps2 as far as I know and unmodified.

I agree with others, likely different tyres and/or alignment.
Good luck with purchase
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
GS WAX
Rep

Had car checked out, all clear(apart from the items I noted when viewing), bit of a relief, agreed sale and hopefully have the car for the weekend, already booked in to have the geometry re-align.

anyone want to buy some pzero's ..... :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Shroom
Private First Class
Rep

Right on! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 11:06 PM   #15
cSurf
Major
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupé

Garage List
Congrats! lets see some pictures!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:18 AM   #16
CarJunkie
Captain
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange 1-Series M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
RS375
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I thought your plate looked familar until I had a quick check. If you're a detailer you may know that "Heavenly" from the Essex area ran a similar plate when he had his Focus RS.

It may be worth checking with Pirelli what pressures they recommend for this application.

Congratulations on the imminent purchase, I hope it goes well.
Appreciate 0