BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-15-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
Goombeh
Private

Drives: 1M, White of course.

Bought an M3 but should have bought a 1M

It's funny, when I first picked up the 1M and people started to see it and ask questions, I was completely expecting people to ask why I didn't buy the M3 instead.

It wouldn't have bothered me at all but this never happened. I had a few ask why I'd spend that much money on a small car, my standard response was that it was a very difficult thing to simply put to words and if you drove it and still didn't get it, then you'd never understand it regardless of my explanations.

However, just recently, I met two E92 M3 owners who wanted to discuss the 1, and both commended me on the choice, one of them citing that he would have bought one had it been auto but he can't drive manual, and that I made the better choice, and the other commenting that he just couldn't get one when he was buying so settled on the M3. But these were guys who just loved cars cos they were great cars.

Great to meet true enthusiasts who appreciate cars simply for the enjoyment they bring whilst also appreciating and respecting others choices whether they're alike or completely different.
      03-16-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
1'M Blue
Lieutenant

Drives: 1M

The 1M is truly something special. A definite keeper in my book.
1'M Blue is offline   Oman
      03-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #3
Harlequin
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)

Garage List
It's very rare to meet an M3 driver who doesn't criticize or downplay the 1M so it's nice to see that they do exist and that you found a couple of them...
      03-16-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
RDSACNQ

Drives: 2012 E92

Bought LSB E92 (DCT,ZCP) two year ago, but still want to own both. A week ago, I finally bought a AW 1M and will post the pics late with two M park together.
      03-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #5
One///Em
Enlisted Member

Having owned both, 1M is a more pure experience, the E92 M3 DCT is easier to live with day to day, but lacks the excitement that a M car should have IMO. Prefer the 1M, no regrets.
One///Em is offline   No_Country
      03-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #6
bdaddylo
Major

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
I own both and they are two different cars which have different characteristics. There's no defining characteristic that makes either a pure M. The way I would sum it up is that the 1M is more raw/unrefined and neither have much in common with the e30 M3. Both are great cars, but have different manners. It's all about user preference IMO.
      03-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel

Drives: '08 135i

True enthusiast m3 owner who doesn't know how to drive stick?
08 AW 135i | Cobb | ETS FMIC | ER CP w/ Tial Bov | AR Catted Downpipes | Berk Mids | Meisterschaft GT SUS 1M |M3 Control Arms | M3 Sways | M3 Rear Subframe Bushings | Wavetrac LSD | AST 4200 DA Coilovers | HRE R43 | Hankook R-S3 |Full BMW Performance Interior | Revozport 1M Raze Aero Package in Satin Carbon |1M Body Conversion|
      03-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
SDD
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
It's very rare to meet an M3 driver who doesn't criticize or downplay the 1M so it's nice to see that they do exist and that you found a couple of them...
+1000

I get the general consensus that E92 M3 owners are not particularly fond of the 1M. One such owner went for a ride in my car (bone stock) and said quote "Okay its very fast but thats not stock, if I had turbos I'd mod it as well" ... He simply couldn't understand the excitement an torque just assumed it had to be modded because it felt very different to a 135.

M3 rationalizing and in denile at the same damn time

I wish people could respect everybody's shit. I drove a new Cayman the other day and while fun wise the 1M is the clear winner you can't take away what Porsche does so well. That car costs 20k more and to that owner each penny was well worth it, in some ways I even agree. Just depends on the lens you chose to view things from
      03-16-2014, 07:14 PM   #9
vocan

Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDD View Post
I get the general consensus that E92 M3 owners are not particularly fond of the 1M.
Don't feel too bad, there are many reasons for this.

All of them good...
      03-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
mad4che

Drives: BMW

I've had an e36 m3, an e46 m3 and an e90 m3. Now I'm lucky enough to have a 1M... I miss the sound of that v8 engine... otherwise, the 1M is the best of all of these in my opinion.
      03-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #11
lcrain
Captain

Drives: BSM 1M

I would be driving an e90 m3 if I wasn't lucky enough to have found my 1m. Do I envy the s65? At times, yes, it is a fantastic engine. That said, the 1m is everything I could have asked for and more. I don't feel that I could be saying that if I was driving an e90. Some get it, most don't. That is their problem. I have found that so many m3 owners bought the car for the badge and plug their ears when the 1m garners the praise that it does. Ignorance is bliss.
      03-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #12
Artemis
Colonel

Drives: 1M (VO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
I was completely expecting people to ask why I didn't buy the M3 instead.
I already had people asking "Do you like your new M3 ?".

And actually, as it contains interesting M3 bits and pieces, it is some sort of "new M3". M3 owners ditching the 1M are kicking their own car too.
      03-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #13
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel

I think it's funny how we class people by their cars. An "m3 owner" is just someone who bought an m3. They paid for it. It isn't something of respect or accomplishment or anything that gives them respect over anyone else. Anyone can buy a car. M3's are not even that expensive or exclusive. It's true a lot of enthusiasts do have m3's but they are not simply enthusiasts because they bought something- they are enthusiasts because they are passionate about cars and performance more specifically - not a status accessory.

Most of the "m3 owners" who hated on the 1m verbally on the forums were just dicks. They would be a dick with any car. I remember when they would come in here and troll. I remember when a few 1m owners trolled on m3 post.

A lot of people just want reinforcement that they purchased the "right" car, that they made the "right" decision in purchasing their car. Certain m3 owners felt it with the 1m as it was so close in performance, and they feel it again with the numbers of the m4/3 coming out soon. They cling onto everything different about their current car and argue it's better again and again. We see it with e82 vs the m235i now.

(I'm not saying the new cars are better, just different , and different is ok. You can't fight the times)
08 AW 135i | Cobb | ETS FMIC | ER CP w/ Tial Bov | AR Catted Downpipes | Berk Mids | Meisterschaft GT SUS 1M |M3 Control Arms | M3 Sways | M3 Rear Subframe Bushings | Wavetrac LSD | AST 4200 DA Coilovers | HRE R43 | Hankook R-S3 |Full BMW Performance Interior | Revozport 1M Raze Aero Package in Satin Carbon |1M Body Conversion|
      03-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
ace11
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post

Quote:
I think it's funny how we class people by their cars. An "m3 owner" is just someone who bought an m3. They paid for it. It isn't something of respect or accomplishment or anything that gives them respect over anyone else. Anyone can buy a car. M3's are not even that expensive or exclusive. It's true a lot of enthusiasts do have m3's but they are not simply enthusiasts because they bought something- they are enthusiasts because they are passionate about cars and performance more specifically - not a status accessory.

Most of the "m3 owners" who hated on the 1m verbally on the forums were just dicks. They would be a dick with any car. I remember when they would come in here and troll. I remember when a few 1m owners trolled on m3 post.

A lot of people just want reinforcement that they purchased the "right" car, that they made the "right" decision in purchasing their car. Certain m3 owners felt it with the 1m as it was so close in performance, and they feel it again with the numbers of the m4/3 coming out soon. They cling onto everything different about their current car and argue it's better again and again. We see it with e82 vs the m235i now.

(I'm not saying the new cars are better, just different , and different is ok. You can't fight the times)

frozen grey 1M euro spec / tuningwerk tune / hybrid clutch / performance diff lock / upgraded rear axle / wagner fmic / performance radiator / secondary oil cooler / adv5.0 dc / michelin pss / kw v3 / stoptech bbk / vorsteiner diffusor / akrapovic evolution w/ CF tips & dp / IND black m logo / CarDiff rollbar / Recaro PP seats / BMW performance short shift kit / BMW performance steering wheel II / BMW performance CF lip / BMW performance CF side mirrors / BMW LCI blacklines
ace11 is offline   No_Country
      03-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Artemis
Colonel

Drives: 1M (VO)

Quote:
An "m3 owner" is just someone who bought an m3.
+1

Like several, I went from M3 to 1M ...and did/do not whine.

So how am I to be 'pigeonholed' in BMW speak ?

I think the answer is simple: a BMW enthusiast.

Forget about all the 'true this' and 'true that'. Enjoy driving your car, regardless how it's badged or marketed. That's what 'true' is all about.
      03-17-2014, 07:02 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrain View Post
I would be driving an e90 m3 if I wasn't lucky enough to have found my 1m. Do I envy the s65? At times, yes, it is a fantastic engine. That said, the 1m is everything I could have asked for and more. I don't feel that I could be saying that if I was driving an e90. Some get it, most don't. That is their problem. I have found that so many m3 owners bought the car for the badge and plug their ears when the 1m garners the praise that it does. Ignorance is bliss.
me too. once i was so excited for the 1M... had I not gotten it... i probably would have gone with a CPO E90 M3... I couldnt justify nor really afford a new E90 pricetag..

I am sure I would have been happy with an E90 M3.. but I am absolutely in love with my 1M.
      03-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #17
Goombeh
Private

Drives: 1M, White of course.

Quote:
I know what you're saying here, however it's not for us to decide what a true enthusiast is. If they are passionate about their car and love it and cherish it and read and learn about it, and come on here to discuss it, then in my book, they are an enthusiast, even if they don't enjoy exactly the same aspects of the car I do.

In Australia, you'd part with about $170K for a well specced M3 new, so although I personally agree with the car owner is simply a car owner, many feel that the visible status driving a car of that value gives, is worth the cost of ownership alone.

I was speaking with the sales guy who sold me the car, and he estimated 60% of BMW buyers do so purely for the brand and image, as they come in and just want to know if their budget will stretch to any model in the range. He feels 30% want one because of the quality of the product, and that the last 10% are true enthusiasts who appreciate the Engineering that go into making them perform the way they perform. He also added that all 1M buyers he came across fit into the last category. Of course. Don't know about his estimates but kinda wouldn't surprise me.
      03-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #18
ace11
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post

In Australia, you'd part with about $170K for a well specced M3 new, so although I personally agree with the car owner is simply a car owner, many feel that the visible status driving a car of that value gives, is worth the cost of ownership alone.

I was speaking with the sales guy who sold me the car, and he estimated 60% of BMW buyers do so purely for the brand and image, as they come in and just want to know if their budget will stretch to any model in the range. He feels 30% want one because of the quality of the product, and that the last 10% are true enthusiasts who appreciate the Engineering that go into making them perform the way they perform. He also added that all 1M buyers he came across fit into the last category. Of course. Don't know about his estimates but kinda wouldn't surprise me.

only 10% appreciate the engineering???
no offence, but i feel sorry for the australian bmw community
frozen grey 1M euro spec / tuningwerk tune / hybrid clutch / performance diff lock / upgraded rear axle / wagner fmic / performance radiator / secondary oil cooler / adv5.0 dc / michelin pss / kw v3 / stoptech bbk / vorsteiner diffusor / akrapovic evolution w/ CF tips & dp / IND black m logo / CarDiff rollbar / Recaro PP seats / BMW performance short shift kit / BMW performance steering wheel II / BMW performance CF lip / BMW performance CF side mirrors / BMW LCI blacklines
ace11 is offline   No_Country
      03-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #19
ozinaldo
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
Don't feel sorry for them because it has nothing to do with Australians being Australians, it has everything to do with the price level and especially so with the price of a certain product factored in the overall wealth of that country. It is even worse when we start talking about some other countries where 50 % of the people can't afford a public transportation ticket and when there is like a few of a certain performance car circulating in a traffic of Tatas and Cherys. Most if not all are for the status and image. Humans are the same everywhere, conditions change and make them look different.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
      03-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #20
Redadair
Major

Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

I drove M3's e90's, e46 and then I put down a $2K deposit for a year on the 1M without obviously ever seeing or driving it but knowing it was the M car I was waiting for BMW to build.

I have three BMW's the 1M, 04 330i ZHP, 88 e30 M3 and while I love all three the 1M is my favorite BMW ever.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 70K Miles
04 330i ZHP Sedan 55K miles
Redadair is offline   United_States
      03-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #21
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace11 View Post
I would say only 10% appreciate in America too.
      03-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #22
vocan

Drives: 1m

Quote:
I would say only 10% appreciate in America too.
If that.