BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #221
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,067
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Morgan View Post
Dear Dackel:

I come across this post again as I have been talking again with my dealer because I want things to straight up.
They are using on the M3 the Castrol 10w-60. I was reading about it and realize that it is labeled as an oil that has exclusive approval for BMW M models. The local service manager answered me that they don't use this oil on the 1M as it comes with an N lettered engine and not an S one.
Are they correct? I mean, I know my car has the N54 engine, but Should I use this same oil?
Should I order the Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4?
On the fuels aspect, I don't really know about the sulfur they contain, but anyway I change the Oils very frequently (< 5000kms).

Thanks in advance.

Your dealer gave you correct info on the oil to use. DO NOT use the TWS 10w60 Castrol oil that other M models use/need. Your 1M should use the BMW full synthetic oil that is used in the N54 and N55 models. Your dealer was correct is telling you that your car requires engine oil for a "N" motor and not a "S" engine designation for the TWS M oil.

As long as you use a oil that carries BMW Long Life One (LL-1) approval - you should be fine. I use Castrol RS Edge 0w40 oil in my N54 - I actually find the engine runs cooler with this Castrol oil as compared to Mobil-1's 0w40 LL1 oil.


Dack
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #222
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,067
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
providence, when I search that P/N I get no results found.

I have yet to find a P/N for the non-FM diff fluid for individual use (1 or .5 liter containers).

Anyone have any luck?

I would try ordering the Castrol SAF-XJ (without FM) from a good import autoparts store or even just look in your local yellow pages for your nearest Castrol oil supplier. Over here n Germany you can find this diff oil everywhere. Even the grocery stors sell it! lol No joke! Maybe the bar code UPC number(in the last photo bellow) might help you order this oil. ?






Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #223
doug_999
Captain
 
Drives: 2012 X6 50i/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Interesting Thread

And yet a very scary thread. I will say, that I have always had my BMWs serviced at Patrick. While I won't purchase a car from them, their service department is top notch and I agree with the post below 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
Congrats and kudos to Patrick BMW and head service pro Brad for researching and finding out that we are all correct in believing that my 1M deserves LT-5. I am going to pay to have them replace what Motorwerks put in (LT-2) but write a blistering letter to BMW NA and my dealership at all levels.
__________________
2012 Vermillion X6 50i -CWP, Vent Seats, Tech, Sport, Premium Sound, Premium, Active Steering, 3 rear seats, BMW Apps, Space Saver Spare
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
doug_999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #224
superchargedman
Captain
 
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada

Posts: 878
iTrader: (1)

Does anyone know bmws source for engine oil? Castrol? Thanks!
superchargedman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #225
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,831
iTrader: (0)

Finally my first service also arrived and after a meeting with the service manager 2 weeks ago, checking the oils together, mailing them in detail later and re-confirming 2 days before the service plus leaving a few copies of what is right and what is wrong with the car including photos of right oil bottles, they just managed to put the engine oil 10W 60!

I noticed while checking the paperwork, warned them, they said must be a typo, I said please ask the technician and result: yes we have a problem; draining the oil, putting the right one and receiving apologies, loosing time etc.

I think if there was anything left in me as a last drop of faith in human race it just disappeared today. I am certain that basically we are a useless and irrelevant species.

Other victims who had this bad joke before, can you please suggest how long or how many kms/miles shall I wait before repeating the same procedure of flushing the oil and putting the new one, again?

Thanks.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #226
Plautos
Private First Class
 
Plautos's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Plautos
Relax...

Since the first oil change at 3500km, the engine is running with 10w60 and until now, after 2 changes and near 10000km of rock´n´roll, the engine did not exploded... yet.
I also was unable to change the oil from the gear box and diff, because the refinery probably located in Mars is not sending the oil to Brazil.

I think there is no problem to use the 10w60… just wait a little longer to the engine warm up.







Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Finally my first service also arrived and after a meeting with the service manager 2 weeks ago, checking the oils together, mailing them in detail later and re-confirming 2 days before the service plus leaving a few copies of what is right and what is wrong with the car including photos of right oil bottles, they just managed to put the engine oil 10W 60!

I noticed while checking the paperwork, warned them, they said must be a typo, I said please ask the technician and result: yes we have a problem; draining the oil, putting the right one and receiving apologies, loosing time etc.

I think if there was anything left in me as a last drop of faith in human race it just disappeared today. I am certain that basically we are a useless and irrelevant species.

Other victims who had this bad joke before, can you please suggest how long or how many kms/miles shall I wait before repeating the same procedure of flushing the oil and putting the new one, again?

Thanks.
Plautos is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #227
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,831
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plautos View Post
Relax...

Since the first oil change at 3500km, the engine is running with 10w60 and until now, after 2 changes and near 10000km of rock´n´roll, the engine did not exploded... yet.
I also was unable to change the oil from the gear box and diff, because the refinery probably located in Mars is not sending the oil to Brazil.

I think there is no problem to use the 10w60… just wait a little longer to the engine warm up.
I am OK just feeling sorry for all the time and effort I have wasted for trying to prevent this for such a simple service and was treated all the way like a uber paranoid customer, then happens no matter what. Leaving bad taste in the mouth man, everytime I pass from this BMW something bizarre or lame is happening but of course I am not letting this ruin my feelings toward the car, it is not the car's fault or mine, it is some useless people that this industry keep on hiring and letting ruin their otherwise fine products and/or image.

As I said, the car is already with the correct oil and never been on the road with 10W 60, and after a 100 kms or so I will go there and have the second filling to make it real clean. But really, how do you track intensively with the factory filled transmission and differential oil for 10,000 kms, in addition to a 10W 60 engine oil? I remember now some similar lame performance from my years in Brazil when I had the 330i, they keep on wasting your time etc. We need to be real brave and passionate to buy and keep a car like this in Latin America (hope someone from BMW reading). Hey BMW dudes, it is not just selling the cars, remember! We buy it DESPITE the aftersales experiences you provide but for how long!?
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      03-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #228
Em/1
First Lieutenant
 
Em/1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 300
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
Patrick Serice

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
And yet a very scary thread. I will say, that I have always had my BMWs serviced at Patrick. While I won't purchase a car from them, their service department is top notch and I agree with the post below 100%.
BTW, Patrick not only changed to correct motor oil, they told me "on them if they couldn't get BMW to pay"--they seemed confident that BMW would pick up the tab.
Em/1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #229
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,067
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plautos View Post
Relax...

Since the first oil change at 3500km, the engine is running with 10w60 and until now, after 2 changes and near 10000km of rock´n´roll, the engine did not exploded... yet.
I also was unable to change the oil from the gear box and diff, because the refinery probably located in Mars is not sending the oil to Brazil.

I think there is no problem to use the 10w60… just wait a little longer to the engine warm up.
Perhaps, perhaps not. But the engineers at BMW would not have spec'd the N54/N55 full synthetic LL-1 oil for the 1M if there was an advantage to using TWS 10w60 (M3) motor oil.

Don't you think the bmw engineers know better than the tech (or SA)working on your car?

The correct oil for the 1M is bmw full synthtic LL-1 motor oil. Not TWS!
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #230
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
 
Rikx1M's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M #739/740
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama

Posts: 1,627
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Just had initial service

Just had my 1200 mile service at 1440 miles and I brought my USA service bulletin specifying that all three needed changing. Also brought my own oil, filter, magnetic drain plug and tranny fluid, the only thing I didn't bring was diff oil. I had them capture a sample of engine oil for analysis at Blackstone...I'll post results after getting the readout.

Total service charge was 132€ for a German "M" dealer which I was really happy for. All in all a relatively painless event.
__________________
Rikx1M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 01:42 AM   #231
kazin
Private
 
Drives: a
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: canada

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

No go with BMW Toronto. Was told that gearbox was going to get changed when I made the appt and when I came in but service sheet showed no gearbox changes. When I asked about it they referred me to the service bulletin that said the manual trans oil didn't need to be changed. He did tell me I could get it done for ~250 though. Anyone think this is worth it?
kazin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #232
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,831
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazin View Post
No go with BMW Toronto. Was told that gearbox was going to get changed when I made the appt and when I came in but service sheet showed no gearbox changes. When I asked about it they referred me to the service bulletin that said the manual trans oil didn't need to be changed. He did tell me I could get it done for ~250 though. Anyone think this is worth it?
It is not a small amount of money but only NA doesn't include the trans oil change as a part of the first service for reasons that are not technical. Even in some other markets like here in Chile which also has a free service included during the warranty period they follow BMW A.G. example and change it. And the gear box functions smoother afterwards, it is noticeable. I think if you feel like you are going to keep your car for some time and it is not just a one year toy then you should consider changing it. Probably it will be cheaper if you buy the oil and change it yourself in a place other than a BMW dealer.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #233
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,067
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
It is not a small amount of money but only NA doesn't include the trans oil change as a part of the first service for reasons that are not technical. Even in some other markets like here in Chile which also has a free service included during the warranty period they follow BMW A.G. example and change it. And the gear box functions smoother afterwards, it is noticeable. I think if you feel like you are going to keep your car for some time and it is not just a one year toy then you should consider changing it. Probably it will be cheaper if you buy the oil and change it yourself in a place other than a BMW dealer.

+1. Fresh oil is good oil. It is a difference you can feel with new trans oil in your manual gearbox.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #234
kazin
Private
 
Drives: a
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: canada

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

I'd probably get it changed at the dealership just for the sake of warranty and having documentation if I ever need it.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll probably get it put in soon.
kazin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #235
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,831
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1. Fresh oil is good oil. It is a difference you can feel with new trans oil in your manual gearbox.
Dackel, remember my post from a week or two ago? That they screwed the engine oil? Today, it was a bit over 100 kms. after that episode and I changed the oil second time to keep the engine as clean as possible. I did it in a regular gas station, paid just the oil cost (around 150 Dollars for 6 liters of Made in US Mobil 1 0W 40 LL-1, didn't go as far as changing the already new filter and the reserve's 0.5 liter oil) and I saw the bottles, monitored the procedure, such infinitely better sentiment than passing from the dealer! And I don't know if it is just the regular psychology but I also felt that the car is really smoother right after. If I am not making it up because of my total lack of confidence to BMW services here, I am thinking maybe they did something still wrong that day after I noticed the wrong oil and made them change it with the right one, who knows.

It is such a waste throwing out 6 liters of oil that is used just for 100 kms. but at the end I am happy I didn't go with the "free of charge" dealer service once again. Obviously, nothing is free of charge at the end if you want things straight.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #236
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,067
iTrader: (1)

^^Yes, I remember. Glad to hear your 1M is doing fine. Fresh oil is really the best oil. I don't buy into BMW's no service lifetime fluids. Now that reminds me... my car is due for an oil change - and - I gonna change it myself, like I always do!
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #237
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E46 325xi gone, bsm 1M Coupe:)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado

Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

I just had my 1200 service and I wanted to ask..... are the majority of people electing to pay for the transmission flush in the USA even though the service bulletin doesn't specify it? I'm considering doing the flush because I plan to keep the car forever.
buckeyegirl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #238
ayao
Thread killer
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 530
iTrader: (0)

I paid. It seemed peculiar that it was recommended for the rest of the world but not NA, and had the feel of cost-cutting in the context of the Free Maintenance moniker.
ayao is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #239
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E46 325xi gone, bsm 1M Coupe:)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado

Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

I think I'm going too also, I'm going to have to make a special trip, but it doesn't cost that much they said $150 or so and that's my reasoning also, if every other country is covering and recommending this as a regular part of the maintenance then why would the USA be any different. Same car.... better stick shift drivers in the USA so no need to get the transmission fluid changed.... I duh know...
buckeyegirl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #240
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,067
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
I think I'm going too also, I'm going to have to make a special trip, but it doesn't cost that much they said $150 or so and that's my reasoning also, if every other country is covering and recommending this as a regular part of the maintenance then why would the USA be any different. Same car.... better stick shift drivers in the USA so no need to get the transmission fluid changed.... I duh know...
Its a good idea to change the trans fluid. Especially since you will keep your car "forever".
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #241
doug_999
Captain
 
Drives: 2012 X6 50i/2011 1M
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 866
iTrader: (0)

Patrick BMW

So I finally had my 1,200 mile service done at Patrick. Just like the others who had their cars done there, all perfect (heck, I think they even road tested the car JUST to make sure everything was in order )
__________________
2012 Vermillion X6 50i -CWP, Vent Seats, Tech, Sport, Premium Sound, Premium, Active Steering, 3 rear seats, BMW Apps, Space Saver Spare
2011 1M, Black loaded sans sat radio
doug_999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #242
Pamlico
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester NY

Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)

Just had the 1200 mile service as well. I brought my own transmission lubrication and said I'd pay to have it changed. When the work was completed the SA came out and said the BMW instructions indicated changing the transmission fluid was part of the service and it was done at no charge (with my fluids because they didn't have any in stock).
Pamlico is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST