BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #67
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,999
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em/1 View Post
My pathetic saga continues. My dealer's head service rep contacted BMW NA after getting nowhere with regional tech and their answer was that LT-2 is correct and that putting LT-5 could jeopardize my warranty!! My guy is trying to help but says my next move it to customer service phone number. Does anyone have an official document for US to use LT-5? I am not sure the Canadian bulletin is going to do it. An official statement for Germany would be enough to get me to just have done by an indie service center. Someone in FL said their rep made contact with higher ups that gave the thumbs up on LT-5--can he get us a name?

IF I were in your shoes... I would purchase (all) the correct fluids - and have an indi shop change it for you. Or do it yourself. Then I would sit down and write BMW NA a nice letter - sent registered US Mail asking for payment for the service you had to have done bc of their dealers are so incompetent. I can not believe this still is happening.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #68
Drace1
Private First Class
 
Drace1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LOS ANGELES

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Got the ok

So my dealer gave the ok to Change the fluids, I will be on my way this morning. I'm going to have them sign the records stating that they put the wrong fluids in the car.
Drace1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #69
Drace1
Private First Class
 
Drace1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LOS ANGELES

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Here we go again...

Update: Shop foreman messed up again... He was not aware/going to replace the LT-2 they put in for the LT-5 even though the new service request stated to change my trans oil?!

On top of that I'm getting attitude and treated like crap for their mess. I'll write a more detailed report/review on a new post.
Drace1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #70
Papethova
Brigadier General
 
Papethova's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

Posts: 3,029
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1 View Post
Update: Shop foreman messed up again... He was not aware/going to replace the LT-2 they put in for the LT-5 even though the new service request stated to change my trans oil?!

On top of that I'm getting attitude and treated like crap for their mess. I'll write a more detailed report/review on a new post.
What dealer is this?
Papethova is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #71
ayao
Thread killer
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 581
iTrader: (0)

Man. I'm at 1100 miles and quaking in my boots. I mean, everyone here has done their due diligence in informing the dealer and despite doing everything you can, wrong fluids are being put in left and right. WTF???
ayao is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #72
Drace1
Private First Class
 
Drace1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LOS ANGELES

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Man. I'm at 1100 miles and quaking in my boots. I mean, everyone here has done their due diligence in informing the dealer and despite doing everything you can, wrong fluids are being put in left and right. WTF???
Do this and you should be fine:

1. Make sure you go there with you the service bulletins printed, be firm that you want to review it with them (I wasn't firm and error occurred).

2. Walk through the correct oil part numbers and verify they are in stock

3. Have them sign annotate on the preliminary service record that the P/N will be used.

If you do the above and anything goes wrong than I'd be extremely surprised. If you want to go beyond have them save the empty bottles for proof. In all honest I wouldn't do it any other way. I budged an go screwed.
Drace1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #73
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,999
iTrader: (1)

^^+1. I would also make TWO copies of the fluids needed. One for the SA and one leave inside the car for the Tech to see. Or better yet... go talk to the tech who will actually be doing the work.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 09:47 PM   #74
Em/1
First Lieutenant
 
Em/1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
Service bulletins

But what service bulletin to use for the LT-5? My dealer is not impressed by the Canadian one and I have seen nothing else on these forums...
Em/1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #75
speedyjoe
Private First Class
 
Drives: E46M3/1M
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thronhill

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

gosh... after changed the FM fluid (SAF-XJ ,+FM booster) from BMW but the weird noise from the diff is still here. gotta call my SA to check on this again.
speedyjoe is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #76
burnsniper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M BSM & Audi Q5 2.0T
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have a source for purchasing the LTF-5 Fluid? Dealer can't seem to find it and thus my car is stranded.
burnsniper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #77
bentone
Private
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NoVA

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Does anyone have a source for purchasing the LTF-5 Fluid? Dealer can't seem to find it and thus my car is stranded.
Any Porsche dealer, which in my experience in VA is usually located near the BMW dealer. Get 2L of the stuff that looks like this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1323849897

Might want to call ahead to make sure they've got it, using the Porsche part # on the bottle. Then I got mine changed at a trusted indy mechanic since it's not longer part of the (free) 1,200 mile service at your BMW dealer.
bentone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #78
burnsniper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M BSM & Audi Q5 2.0T
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
Any Porsche dealer, which in my experience in VA is usually located near the BMW dealer. Get 2L of the stuff that looks like this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1323849897

Might want to call ahead to make sure they've got it, using the Porsche part # on the bottle. Then I got mine changed at a trusted indy mechanic since it's not longer part of the (free) 1,200 mile service at your BMW dealer.
Do we have confirmation from Pentonsin that it is in fact the same fluid?
burnsniper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #79
bentone
Private
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NoVA

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1 View Post
Do this and you should be fine:

1. Make sure you go there with you the service bulletins printed, be firm that you want to review it with them (I wasn't firm and error occurred).

2. Walk through the correct oil part numbers and verify they are in stock

3. Have them sign annotate on the preliminary service record that the P/N will be used.

If you do the above and anything goes wrong than I'd be extremely surprised. If you want to go beyond have them save the empty bottles for proof. In all honest I wouldn't do it any other way. I budged an go screwed.
+1. Also don't leave the dealer until you've compared the part numbers on your printouts to the part numbers on your service receipt. Be aware that different sizes of the same fluid have different part numbers - my engine oil ended in 954 (not 866) and I was getting ready to flip until I searched it on www.getbmwparts.com and realized it was for the drum size. Just bring a laptop/ipad/smartphone etc. to the dealer with you, or ask to use the CA's desktop if there's any confusion.
bentone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #80
bentone
Private
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NoVA

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Do we have confirmation from Pentonsin that it is in fact the same fluid?
Refer to the PDFs here: http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CR...Pento_FFL3.pdf and here: http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

The first PDF from Pentosin references the Porsche part # on the bottle, and the second PDF from ZF references the transmission in the 1M (S6-45) along with the recommended fluid (FFL-3, otherwise known by BMW as MTF-LT-5)
bentone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #81
burnsniper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M BSM & Audi Q5 2.0T
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
Refer to the PDFs here: http://pentosin.net/pressreleases/CR...Pento_FFL3.pdf and here: http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

The first PDF from Pentosin references the Porsche part # on the bottle, and the second PDF from ZF references the transmission in the 1M (S6-45) along with the recommended fluid (FFL-3, otherwise known by BMW as MTF-LT-5)
Can't believe that the dealer will put FFL-3 into the car without BMW's approval.
burnsniper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #82
bentone
Private
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NoVA

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsniper View Post
Can't believe that the dealer will put FFL-3 into the car without BMW's approval.
It's the same fluid they'll be putting in at your later services, so I can't see why they would refuse (although knowing some dealers, it wouldn't surprise me). I got my transmission fluid changed at an indy, knowing it wouldn't be covered by BMW as part of the maintenance plan.

Of course, I can't be held responsible in the event that Pentosin/BMW/ZF reverses course on the recommendation, and/or damage occurs to your transmission, etc. This is simply the course I chose to take with my car. The "safest" route from a warranty perspective is certainly to follow the current service recommendations, which don't specify any transmission fluid changes at all at the 1,200 mile service. That said, I (and probably others) suspect that the primary reason the service bulletin was updated to remove transmission service from the running-in service was because the BMW-branded FFL-3 was on backorder. That makes me concerned about what effect the lack of initial fluid change might have after the 50k mile warranty expires.
bentone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #83
burnsniper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 1M BSM & Audi Q5 2.0T
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland/Virginia

Posts: 205
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
It's the same fluid they'll be putting in at your later services, so I can't see why they would refuse (although knowing some dealers, it wouldn't surprise me). I got my transmission fluid changed at an indy, knowing it wouldn't be covered by BMW as part of the maintenance plan.

Of course, I can't be held responsible in the event that Pentosin/BMW/ZF reverses course on the recommendation, and/or damage occurs to your transmission, etc. This is simply the course I chose to take with my car. The "safest" route from a warranty perspective is certainly to follow the current service recommendations, which don't specify any transmission fluid changes at all at the 1,200 mile service. That said, I (and probably others) suspect that the primary reason the service bulletin was updated to remove transmission service from the running-in service was because the BMW-branded FFL-3 was on backorder. That makes me concerned about what effect the lack of initial fluid change might have after the 50k mile warranty expires.
Thanks for the comments. I wish I had the option to not change the fluid ... however, the dealer did not heed my advice and put the wrong stuff in.
burnsniper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #84
Drace1
Private First Class
 
Drace1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LOS ANGELES

Posts: 197
iTrader: (0)

Shouldn't we all be contacting BMW NA...? This has happened to enough of us to become a big deal.
Drace1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #85
ayao
Thread killer
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 581
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentone View Post
Any Porsche dealer, which in my experience in VA is usually located near the BMW dealer. Get 2L of the stuff that looks like this:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1323849897

Might want to call ahead to make sure they've got it, using the Porsche part # on the bottle. Then I got mine changed at a trusted indy mechanic since it's not longer part of the (free) 1,200 mile service at your BMW dealer.
Bentone -
What's the labor running for a transmission fluid change? I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer and will probably shop it out to some of the local indys. Thanks...
ayao is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #86
bentone
Private
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3/'79 911SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NoVA

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Bentone -
What's the labor running for a transmission fluid change? I'm waiting to hear back from my dealer and will probably shop it out to some of the local indys. Thanks...
I give my indy a lot of business on other cars so mine was free. But shouldn't be billed out at any more than 30 min labor. It's very simple, literally drain and fill. Any one of us could just DIY, but I wanted peace of mind knowing that it was done by a "professional".
bentone is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #87
Em/1
First Lieutenant
 
Em/1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 333
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
BMW NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drace1 View Post
Shouldn't we all be contacting BMW NA...? This has happened to enough of us to become a big deal.
I think so; currently I am trying out the service managers at 2 other dealers in my area (Knauz and Patrick, both suburban Chicago) after dead-ending at Motorwerks. If no satisfaction it is time for "customer relations", first by phone then in writing if need be and would love to tack on other "stories".
Em/1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-20-2011, 10:20 AM   #88
EMPIRE M
EMPIRE M
 
EMPIRE M's Avatar
 
Drives: AW BMW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA, US

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

So I'm about to get my run-in service in two days (odo @ 1100) and just to be clear I should ask them NOT to do the manual trans fluid? I know to specify the oil and rear diff fluid but should i just ask the SA to pull up "SI B00 01 10" and have him review with the tech that's doing the work?
EMPIRE M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST