BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

View Poll Results: Would you buy a Carbon Fiber cosmetic part from China if the quality was good?
Yes if the price is right! 70 63.06%
Maybe, I'd have to see the part first and judge based on that. 34 30.63%
No! China-made parts are junk. 7 6.31%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #45
mike the snake
0
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 538
iTrader: (1)

I would like to see carbon parts that were decently priced.

I work with composites, and I know a lot of time goes into making molds, but i also know what materials cost, and the prices for parts for our cars are high for what they are.
mike the snake is offline  
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #46
Satalite
0
Colonel
 
Satalite's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

Posts: 2,885
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I would like to see carbon parts that were decently priced.

I work with composites, and I know a lot of time goes into making molds, but i also know what materials cost, and the prices for parts for our cars are high for what they are.
Extremely high.
__________________
Satalite is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #47
BrokenVert
0
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

Posts: 9,984
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I would like to see carbon parts that were decently priced.

I work with composites, and I know a lot of time goes into making molds, but i also know what materials cost, and the prices for parts for our cars are high for what they are.
ive been saying this for years. And I also know exactly what goes into making composites
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #48
ezeedee
0
NCOIC of Kickin It
 
ezeedee's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Great Falls MT

Posts: 947
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.50]
scopione has the best parts for a reasonable price imho. I'd love to see quality/pricing to compete with theirs. every car has their high end parts, and their reasonable parts. we seem to be lacking on the latter.
ezeedee is offline   Germany
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #49
TOY1
0
New Member
 
Drives: 135 i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mexico City

Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)

Splitter and rear spoiler to 135i, decently priced, aceptable quality.
TOY1 is offline  
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #50
crbalch
0
DON
 
crbalch's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 AW 135i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 524
iTrader: (1)

dont really care so much for the CF look, but a rear diffuser in gloss black (same as the shadowline/grille color) would be great
__________________


crbalch is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #51
mike the snake
0
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Sonoma County, CA.

Posts: 538
iTrader: (1)

I just ordered a JBspeed rear trunk spoiler, probably the best priced rear wing available, for a little over $200.

Carbon cloth averages around $50 a yard, a lot less when you buy in bulk. Fiberglass is much less expensive.

The carbon fiber I have used ends up Much stiffer and stronger than the carbon parts I have bought for my car, so I'm suspecting a lot of carbon parts are not really made of real carbon fiber, probably dyed glass..

Even if my wing IS made of real carbon, there's about $7 of carbon used in making it (at $50 a yard). So my guess is there's less than $20 in supplies used in making a diffuser or wing.

I know there's a lot of time and energy involved in making molds because I make molds myself, but the single layer, thin parts made for cars are just SO overpriced it is just crazy.

I also know that because the number of sales per part is probably not that high, so I think that's why makers of parts jack the prices up so they can get their money back.

I guess we're lucky that people bother to make cool parts for our cars, but the prices are crazy, it's a catch-22.
mike the snake is offline  
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #52
hongi
0
Private
 
Drives: 10' 128i Alpine white
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sunnyvale , CA

Posts: 68
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2010 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Interior trim +1
hongi is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #53
pinmagic
0
The Only Sane One Here
 
pinmagic's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 1,137
iTrader: (1)

Affordable rear spoiler for the VERT. Right now, the only option AFAIK is the OEM. Too expensive.
__________________
2011 135i VERT SGM/SB/MOONLIGHT - ED - with every single friggin' option they offered.
pinmagic is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #54
FlashBimmer9er
0
2009 Alpine White/Coral Red leather 128i
 
Drives: AW/Coral Red leather 2009 128i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami, Fl

Posts: 266
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
128i front spoiler
this this this. make it <200$ :P
YES
FlashBimmer9er is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #55
1speedbike
0
Colonel
 
1speedbike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

Posts: 2,934
iTrader: (15)

Hi Guys.

Update time.

My colleague and I found a factory in China that I could use for this project. Things are going good so far. Hopefully within a few weeks I can get some parts to use as prototypes.

I think first off I'm going to try and have them copy stuff that already exists versus designing completely new stuff. For example, I saw there is interest in CF sideskirts. Slek might be doing something with this, but I'd also love to give them a run for their money (no offense slek). I probably would do it in the same design as the BMW Aero/Performance sideskirts. Also, I could get a vert rear spoiler based on the OEM one for much cheaper. Could also do gloss black stuff. Also, I've personally been looking for a good lip for the Aero front bumper. I know there's not a huge market for that, but there aren't many options at all for a front lip on cars with the Aero bumper. Interior trim could be pretty easy too, and I know there's a market, so I'll try and do that at first too. Hoods and trunks I want to do, but I wouldn't be starting off with those (unless they're direct OEM replacements) because I'd have to do design stuff, and as I said, for now I'm going to focus on easier stuff to manufacture as this gets started and kind of builds momentum. If there's fair interest in the simpler stuff, I could expand into more intricate parts.

Any further input from you guys would be awesome too. Anything else you want?

I haven't forgotten about you guys, but as I said, starting something like this takes some time.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1

Last edited by 1speedbike; 05-22-2012 at 01:07 PM.
1speedbike is offline  
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #56
woner
0
Second Lieutenant
 
woner's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Knoxville, TN

Posts: 228
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Hi Guys.

Update time.

My colleague and I found a factory in China that I could use for this project. Things are going good so far. Hopefully within a few weeks I can get some parts to use as prototypes.

I think first off I'm going to try and have them copy stuff that already exists versus designing completely new stuff. For example, I saw there is interest in CF sideskirts. Slek might be doing something with this, but I'd also love to give them a run for their money (no offense slek). I probably would do it in the same design as the BMW Aero/Performance sideskirts. Also, I could get a vert rear spoiler based on the OEM one for much cheaper. Could also do gloss black stuff. Also, I've personally been looking for a good lip for the Aero front bumper. I know there's not a huge market for that, but there aren't many options at all for a front lip on cars with the Aero bumper. Interior trim could be pretty easy too, and I know there's a market, so I'll try and do that at first too. Hoods and trunks I want to do, but I wouldn't be starting off with those (unless they're direct OEM replacements) because I'd have to do design stuff, and as I said, for now I'm going to focus on easier stuff to manufacture as this gets started and kind of builds momentum. If there's fair interest in the simpler stuff, I could expand into more intricate parts.

Any further input from you guys would be awesome too. Anything else you want?

I haven't forgotten about you guys, but as I said, starting something like this takes some time.
2010+ mirror caps. I think scopione may be working on that too but they haven't produced anything or given an eta.
woner is offline  
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #57
1speedbike
0
Colonel
 
1speedbike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

Posts: 2,934
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woner View Post
2010+ mirror caps. I think scopione may be working on that too but they haven't produced anything or given an eta.
That seems pretty easy to do, actually. Gonna include this in my report/list for the factory.

So far higher preference has been given to:

CF Aero-style sideskirts
Convertible trunk spoiler
Interior Trim
2010+ Mirror caps
Roof Spoiler

That's not to say that I'm not looking at any other parts. I have already done research on lips, splitters, grilles, coupe spoilers, diffusers, etc.. And eventually I'm going to look more into hoods and trunks. But for now, those items seem to have the most demand and can "prove" that this project is worth the effort, and aren't terribly complicated to make or expensive to produce and sell, so they seem to be the best bets. Notice I added the 2010 mirror caps to that list after woner's suggestion, so more suggestions are always welcome.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
1speedbike is offline  
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #58
ilikebmxbikes
0
Colonel
 
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
 
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,978
iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
That seems pretty easy to do, actually. Gonna include this in my report/list for the factory.

So far higher preference has been given to:

CF Aero-style sideskirts
Convertible trunk spoiler
Interior Trim
2010+ Mirror caps
Roof Spoiler

That's not to say that I'm not looking at any other parts. I have already done research on lips, splitters, grilles, coupe spoilers, diffusers, etc.. And eventually I'm going to look more into hoods and trunks. But for now, those items seem to have the most demand and can "prove" that this project is worth the effort, and aren't terribly complicated to make or expensive to produce and sell, so they seem to be the best bets. Notice I added the 2010 mirror caps to that list after woner's suggestion, so more suggestions are always welcome.
thats a very good list. When you move onto newly designed parts please look into designing a more aggressive diffuser for the 135i bumper.
__________________
ilikebmxbikes is offline  
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #59
Mr Kleen
0
teh porcupine
 
Mr Kleen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 135i "Nina"
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wiesbaden

Posts: 1,591
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [2.75]
2013 BMW X1  [0.00]
M3 style hood, in fiberglass. Because I'm just going to paint it anyway.
__________________
Mr Kleen is offline   Germany
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #60
lucaa135
0
Private
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Coast

Posts: 88
iTrader: (1)

m style hood, spoiler, 1m bumpers..
__________________
Space Grey 135i: BMS DCI, JB4, AA Downpipes, Berk Full Street Exhaust.
lucaa135 is offline  
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #61
strati1
0
Lieutenant
 
Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW/SoCal

Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
128i front spoiler
yes^^
__________________
//Mods: Golf Tee, red out tails, smoked fogs, B&G S2 Springs, Adjustable Koni Yellows, Vorshlag Camberplates, PSS 225 square, Macht Schnell 90mm studs, H&R spacers 15mm front 20mm rear (no rubbing), RPI scoops, K&N
strati1 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #62
BrokenVert
0
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

Posts: 9,984
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
That seems pretty easy to do, actually. Gonna include this in my report/list for the factory.

So far higher preference has been given to:

CF Aero-style sideskirts
Convertible trunk spoiler
Interior Trim
2010+ Mirror caps
Roof Spoiler
Youre thinking about me! Finally a voice!


Kersher not a good option for your perf bumper?

Also can we work out a diffuser in more of the Raze 1M style for the 135s? With actual ducts? I can help you on that one when I get home
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #63
litebulb
0
Lieutenant
 
litebulb's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 408
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I'm game, please keep us updated and thanks for doing the leg work!
__________________
| Dinan S2 | Dinan CF CAI | BMWPE | BMWP 313 | OC | FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sports Rotors | EBC Redstuff | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | Kerscher CF front lip | Scopione CF rear diffuser | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
litebulb is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #64
1speedbike
0
Colonel
 
1speedbike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

Posts: 2,934
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Youre thinking about me! Finally a voice!


Kersher not a good option for your perf bumper?

Also can we work out a diffuser in more of the Raze 1M style for the 135s? With actual ducts? I can help you on that one when I get home

Thought the Kerscher lip only fit the regular bumper??

And sure! I am very interested in making a different style diffuser for our cars. The options I see now are either OEM style, or iCarbon style (or quad in either style). If you could help that would be awesome! I'm still working on the production aspect, but I'm not very experienced with AutoCad or anything design related. I'll facebook you my #
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
1speedbike is offline  
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:04 AM   #65
milehigh135i
0
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Denver

Posts: 92
iTrader: (1)

why does everything need to be carbon fiber? Is it a BMW thing. I come from an Evo. I want a kerscher front lip that's FRP.
milehigh135i is offline  
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #66
BrokenVert
0
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

Posts: 9,984
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Thought the Kerscher lip only fit the regular bumper??

And sure! I am very interested in making a different style diffuser for our cars. The options I see now are either OEM style, or iCarbon style (or quad in either style). If you could help that would be awesome! I'm still working on the production aspect, but I'm not very experienced with AutoCad or anything design related. I'll facebook you my #
got your number. I suck with AutoCAD too (although I have the program)
ask if they can get away with CATIA. I have a lot experience with that.

And to my knowledge you have to punch a new hole or two, but the Kersher lip can be made to fit the perf bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh135i View Post
why does everything need to be carbon fiber? Is it a BMW thing. I come from an Evo. I want a kerscher front lip that's FRP.
Honestly. No clue. Im just going to be painting over all this stuff anyway.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
carbon, china, cosmetic, fiber, mods

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST