BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
48
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
The extra life expected will depend entirely on usage. In my case (on my R32, not my 1M), the PSS lasted more than 50% longer than the PS2. I pushed the tires pretty hard, and I believe the PS2 is susceptible to dramatically increased wear when "over the limit" or overheated, where the PSS isn't as much.

It will be interesting to see on the 1M if this holds true- the compound and construction for the BMW spec PS2 used on the 1M is different than the average PS2. I feel like the M3/ BMW spec tires subjectively have particularly poor cool weather performance vs the standard PS2 compound, for example...

I expect that Michelin will make a 1M/ M3 spec version of the PSS. That will be the tire to have when it comes out, but I'll bet the regular PSS is much better than the current PS2.
It would be cool(er) to have a BMW specific PSS for a 1M/M3 but since they are E82 and E92 which are close to end of their production, I honestly doubt this will ever happen. On the other hand, BMW will for sure receive "specific" PSS for the future M3/M4 and for a possible M2, like it already did for the new F10 M5. Afterall, PSS was developed with direct contribution from M (plus Porsche and Ferrari) but can we expect Michelin to develop specific versions for older model cars and why? If we can, then why not for E46s and so for example? There is no end to this.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #24
VMRWheels
Lieutenant General
VMRWheels's Avatar
268
Rep
16,178
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
These tires are fantastic and are well suited for the 1M, in my opinion. You should be able to get a good amount of miles out of them without sacrificing grip for sure. It's one of the most requested top-tier tires we sell with our wheels!
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Holiday Special! **
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
emack
Private First Class
Australia
2
Rep
149
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

.............they are! Even at "scrub in stage" the traction control light seldom surfaces. Its like having a suspension upgrade, without spending the dollars on suspension................
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
Joer
Lieutenant
Joer's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK, Midlands

iTrader: (0)

I've just had them fitted and the grip is truly phenomenal!!
__________________
________________________________

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #27
robertm
Captain
11
Rep
877
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joer View Post
I've just had them fitted and the grip is truly phenomenal!!
What size did you end up with?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
48
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

No rain yet, dry as hell since I put these tires a month ago and just good warm weather here but the tires are getting close to their full performance stage since I put almost 500 kms. on them on various conditions including mountain roads but not any long highway trip, mostly city driving. All I can say is they get better and better, I just don't see any point to keep the DSC on anymore regardless of what kind of traffic or situation I am in. In the MDM mode it works as safe as the DSC on mode with original PS2s but with added sensation of pulling power and responsiveness. I think these tires are begging me to switch to DSC off which I instructed myself not to do unless I am on a track or a closed road (bad memories and young kids at home)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
M///1rider
Banned
M///1rider's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
584
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I was wondering could you throw 275 pss on the stock tires with stock suspension stupid question im figuring you def could but i just want to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
48
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
I was wondering could you throw 275 pss on the stock tires with stock suspension stupid question im figuring you def could but i just want to make sure.
I think I could easily put 255 front 275 rear on the stock wheels with suspension also stock, but I was OK to keep the sizes stock. Maybe next time I can think of an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #31
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
704
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

iTrader: (0)

265/30r19 and 295/30r19 might even fit. I'm going to try that out when I have the money and my PS2s are corded.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
48
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
265/30r19 and 295/30r19 might even fit. I'm going to try that out when I have the money and my PS2s are corded.
With stock suspension? The fronts you suggest I am not so sure if it will rub or not, can be at the edge. The rears you will go for 295 because there are no 285 for the PSS, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #33
MDORPHN
Colonel
41
Rep
2,550
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

FWIW, I'm planning to run this year's One Lap of America with PSS in 265/35-18, 285/35-18.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #34
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
48
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
FWIW, I'm planning to run this year's One Lap of America with PSS in 265/35-18, 285/35-18.

Neil
I think that is the best set up to go with 18 inches. For 18 Michelin offers the 285 and I am sure soon they will offer in 19 as well. Then it will be better for everyone from M3 and 1M community who wants an upgrade size on stock wheels and suspension. Will you have time and opportunity to try the PSS before the race with the 1M? When is the race by the way?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #35
MDORPHN
Colonel
41
Rep
2,550
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I think that is the best set up to go with 18 inches. For 18 Michelin offers the 285 and I am sure soon they will offer in 19 as well. Then it will be better for everyone from M3 and 1M community who wants an upgrade size on stock wheels and suspension. Will you have time and opportunity to try the PSS before the race with the 1M? When is the race by the way?
The One Lap is the first week of May

And, yes, I plan to spend several days with them at a couple of different tracks (Summit Point, VIR) before competing in the event.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #36
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
48
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
The One Lap is the first week of May

And, yes, I plan to spend several days with them at a couple of different tracks (Summit Point, VIR) before competing in the event.

Neil
Good luck in the races then, one hell of a spring time is ahead of you.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #37
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
421
Rep
11,448
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M///1rider View Post
I was wondering could you throw 275 pss on the stock tires with stock suspension stupid question im figuring you def could but i just want to make sure.
275 PSS will fit on the back of the 1M.
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #38
Pete_vB
Captain
Pete_vB's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
843
Posts

 
Drives: '69 GT3, 1M, 912, R32
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, Shenzhen, Oman

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
FWIW, I'm planning to run this year's One Lap of America with PSS in 265/35-18, 285/35-18.

Neil
Sounds like the right tire choice to me.

Good luck out there, and be safe. The 1M will be tricky to get up to speed quickly vs the AWD cars, but win or lose One Lap is always an awesome experience. It's been years since I made it out there last, but one of these days...
__________________
1M, 1969 Porsche 911 w/ 997 GT3 Cup Motor (435hp & 2,100 lbs)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #39
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
421
Rep
11,448
Posts

 
Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
FWIW, I'm planning to run this year's One Lap of America with PSS in 265/35-18, 285/35-18.

Neil
That size should fit perfectly. Same size for our street tire track setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #40
MDORPHN
Colonel
41
Rep
2,550
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Sounds like the right tire choice to me.

Good luck out there, and be safe. The 1M will be tricky to get up to speed quickly vs the AWD cars, but win or lose One Lap is always an awesome experience. It's been years since I made it out there last, but one of these days...
I ran it 7 of the last 9 years in my much-modified (and now sold) '99 M Coupe. Won the class once (SSGT-1 Small Bore) and had a couple of top-20 finishes.

Great event and fun competing, but I'm under no illusions about how I'll fare relative to some of the very well-sorted (and driven), hyper-horsepower awd vehicles.

For me, it's mostly about the experience and the comraderie.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #41
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,665
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

The PS3 is not even at the same level as the pilot sport PS2's....

We ran PS2's on my wife's little corsa VXR which was putting out 230bhp/254lbft of torque and they suited well, following a puncture and not being able to source the same size in the PS2's we was left with PS3's as the PSS had yet been released, all I can say is PS2's and PS3's are like chalk and cheese, there is a considerable difference in grip levels, I found with the PS3's on the rear I was breaking traction on a regular basis with little effort over the previous PS2's so hardly would I even contemplate running these on the 1M........PSS is my next stop on the 1M.

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 02-15-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #42
///M1
Brigadier General
///M1's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
3,090
Posts

 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 212/305

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
The PS3 is not even at the same level as the pilot sport PS2's....

We ran PS2's on my wife's little corsa VXR which was putting out 230bhp/254lbft of torque and they suited well, following a puncher and not being able to source the same size in the PS2's we was left with PS3's as the PSS had yet been released, all I can say is PS2's and PS3's are like chalk and cheese, there is a considerable difference in grip levels, I found with the PS3's on the rear I was breaking traction on a regular basis with little effort over the previous PS2's so hardly would I even contemplate running these on the 1M........PSS is my next stop on the 1M.
+1000. PS2s and PS3s are in different leagues, the ///M engineer def has it wrong.

PSSs are the natural progression of the PS2s. Here in the USA only a few new cars saw PS3s come as standard, the B8 Audi S4 most notably (although many came with Pirellis), and the reviews were atrocious.
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #43
Joer
Lieutenant
Joer's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK, Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
What size did you end up with?
Same as standard: 265/35 ZR19 98Y XL
__________________
________________________________

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #44
Joer
Lieutenant
Joer's Avatar
United Kingdom
7
Rep
405
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK, Midlands

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
No rain yet, dry as hell since I put these tires a month ago and just good warm weather here but the tires are getting close to their full performance stage since I put almost 500 kms. on them on various conditions including mountain roads but not any long highway trip, mostly city driving. All I can say is they get better and better, I just don't see any point to keep the DSC on anymore regardless of what kind of traffic or situation I am in. In the MDM mode it works as safe as the DSC on mode with original PS2s but with added sensation of pulling power and responsiveness. I think these tires are begging me to switch to DSC off which I instructed myself not to do unless I am on a track or a closed road (bad memories and young kids at home)
I've had the opposite! Only had a quick chance in the dry when they were first fit. Full throttle in second gear and was amazed as the traction light didn't flash!

Most of my 500 miles have been in the wet on the motorway. Traction has also improved in the wet.

Only downside I've had is increased tyre noise on the motorway. Apart from that simply amazing!
__________________
________________________________

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST