BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Run-in service report (Bad advisor, Good Dealer) with happy ending

My 1200 mile run in service message popped up a few hundred miles early while I was about 3 hours from home.

Since I had already built a relationship with my dealer and had a good vibe from the service department, I decided to wait till I got back to Atlanta to get the service.

The car had something like 1230 miles when we got back from vacation and I had already called ahead to setup an appointment first thing Monday morning (1/2/12)

When I pulled in, I got my first surprise. The young guy doing the check-in consulted the list and said I wasn't on it. I showed him the email from the call center confirming my appointment at 8:30. He was kind enough to write me in and asked me who my service advisor was. When I told him, I got my second surprise. My SA, whom I'd communicated several times with to ensure the run-in service went well, was out sick. He would find someone else to work with.

After a couple of minutes he came back and said I could work with Ramses B for my run-in on the 1M and walked me over to RB.

I walked in and waited patiently for RB to acknowledge my presence. He was busy doing something on his computer and after about a minute, without looking at me, asked me "how can we help you?"

Here's a play-by-play of the conversation that followed:

Quote:
Me: I've been working with xxxxxx on setting up my 1M's run-in service and I understand he's out. I was told to work with you.

RB: Is that it?

Me: Sorry?

RB: Is that all we're doing?

Me: Yes. However, there are a few things regarding the 1M run-in that I spoke to my SA about I would like to discuss.

RB (starting to sneer a bit): We do these all the time. We know what we're doing.

Me (polite but firm): I'm sure you do. I would still like to discuss a few things.
At this point, I pulled out copy of a condensed version of Metak's excellent thread regarding the 1M service and handed it to RB. The copy contained all the official fluids as well as the images of them as well as the image of the correct service.

Quote:
RB (Ignoring the paper): Like I said, we do these all the time. We know what we're doing.

Me (starting to get annoyed): Really? You do these all the time, even if this is only the 2nd 1M you've sold here?

RB: We know what we're doing

Me: Well, I don't know that and I know at least ten 1M owners who've had the wrong fluids put it during run-in.

RB (Sneering): You know 10 people with 1Ms?

Me: Buddy, I know significantly more than ten people with 1Ms and if you don't want my business, I'm happy to go somewhere else.

RB (tossing my spare key back): Here you go.
Following my new-year's resolution to not lose it as much and to never wrestle with pigs (you get dirty and pigs like it), I walked out, took a deep breath and asked someone to point me to the service manager's office.

When I walked in, the manager was in the middle of going over what looked like some numbers with the assistant manager Tom Polen. They were both very professional and courteous and as soon as I explained my situation apologized several times for my bad experience. Tom then walked me back to his office saying he would personally handle the service.

The contrast was night and day. Tom was the consummate professional and, having owned several M3's, an enthusiast as well. He brushed off my apologies about being 'paranoid' and actually apologized (again) several times for the behavior of the other SA. He took the time to look over the paperwork I had brought and actually put a note in the service order for the tech to contact him before changing any fluids. Also, before I could mention it, he asked me if I would like for them to run the car through a wash, to which I replied with a firm no thanks

He also got me hooked up with my loaner (335is convertible with DCT).

As I was about to head out, I ran into my CA Sean F, and started shooting the breeze with him. We went out to take a look at the gray 335is and while we were there I got a call from Tom. I told him I was still at the dealership and he came out to meet us.

He told me that they did not have the right transmission fluid and would need to order it. I opted to have all the other fluids changed and have the transmission done when the fluid came in. It is a credit to Tom's attention to detail and diligence that this was caught and I didn't have to go through the hassle many of us have because of service tech negligence. I was, again, struck by the contrast between these two people I had interacted with regarding the run-in service.

I continue to be very happy with Nalley BMW of Decatur in how they treat their customers. Clearly, there are still some issues with some personnel but the management team including Tom are doing an excellent job ensuring a good customer experience.

If you ever have to get a service done there, you know who to avoid.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
You never regret taking the high road. It's a life lesson. Glad it worked out for you.

Favorite quote. "You know 10 people with a 1 M?"
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^Nice story with a good ending. And here is to New Year's resolutions!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Glad the end result was a positive one. Unfortunately, every dealer has 1-2 employees similar to the SA that you were handed over to - with the whole "I-know-it-all, you don't know what you're talking about, we do 50 of these a day, I'm not gonna let you finish your sentences" attitude. I have a great relationship with many people at my dealer, but there is one person I always bypass whenever time for service comes.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

It never fails to amaze me how so many people have jobs
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

I still cant figure out where the break down in communication between BMW and the dealers are. This issue can be corrected in a matter of minutes......its just lame.
      01-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozola View Post
Favorite quote. "You know 10 people with a 1 M?"
No kidding. Does he have no idea that the internet exists?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I'm impressed the SA tossed/handed/gave you back your keys. Perhaps the SM might toss him some walking papers.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #9
Poppy4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM, E36 sold

My 1200 mile experience was perfect in every way. Mike at Casey BMW could not have been more helpful. I actually want to buy him a bottle of wine for being so nice. Go figure! Location is everything.
Appreciate 0