BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

Isofix passenger seat (option 470), official retrofit DIY

A question to all the new US 1m owners:

Does the US 1M come with an option to deactivate the passenger seat airbag in relation to child seat install. Does the roof switch unit (at the base of the interior rear view mirror) have an indicator light or deactivation switch?

If not is one of you considering a retrofit or (perhaps have you done a retrofit on a 1 series?). I would be interested to hear your stories and opinions. Thx

Pictures on the subject are very appreciated

Last edited by eeghie; 07-03-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Changed thread title, retrofit manual and partslisting added futher in this thread
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
bayer
First Lieutenant
 
bayer's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Child seats fit just fine in the back seat, just took my little ones for a ride!
bayer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #3
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
Child seats fit just fine in the back seat, just took my little ones for a ride!
I'm sure they do, the front seat is just faster to reach

Do you mean no deactivation option standard?
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,121
iTrader: (1)

The isofix switch to turn off the passenger side airbag is on the passenger side of the dashboard - when you open the door, you can insert the metal key (from the keyfob) to deactivate the passenger side airbag. I think this is a euro only option - I'm not 100% sure though. Here it is on a 135i...


Name:  IMG_0267.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  129.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0265.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  96.2 KB





Dackel
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The isofix switch to turn off the passenger side airbag is on the passenger side of the dashboard - when you open the door, you can insert the metal key (from the keyfob) to deactivate the passenger side airbag. I think this is a euro only option - I'm not 100% sure though. Here it is on a 135i...
Dackel
THX mate, So does this come with the roof switch unit right side red light indicator " passenger airbag deactivated" (see right side switch in the attached image)

A470=Yes versions of the US Roof Switch Unit are outlined on REALOEM, so I would expect this option to be somehow existing on the US 1 series??
Attached Images
 
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,121
iTrader: (1)

I have no idea. I did not even know there is a light up there telling you the pass airbag is deactivated.

I was at a BMW one series car show - over here (Germany) and saw this car with the switch. I asked the owner what that is for and he told me about the ISOFIX option. I have never seen a US car with it. But that means nothing.

Doesn't BMW have special child seats that also deactivate the pass airbag? Or maybe that is only for over here. ???
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Doesn't BMW have special child seats that also deactivate the pass airbag? Or maybe that is only for over here. ???
I did read that in the US 1 series manual: It claims the seat occupation sensor now deactivates the airbag automatically:
- if heavy enough/weight pattern-> seat occupied-> airbag on.
- if child seat -> Airbag deactivated -> Roof Switch Unit light will warn.
- if no occupation -> No airbag activation and no warning light.

Can anybody confirm?
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
1M Fan
SMSgt
 
Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA, TN

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
The US cars do not have the switch. there is an indent in the dash where your switch is located. As mentioned above, the light in the console indicates with the airbag is deactivated automatically based on sensors in the seat. It will even deactivate if you are sitting in the seat wrong.

In the early years of passenger airbags when they were all single stage deployments and didn't have passenger sensors, you could get a waiver to have a switch installed. I don't think they given the waivers in the last 10 or 15 years.
1M Fan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
miula
Private First Class
 
miula's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami

Posts: 152
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
The US cars do not have the switch. there is an indent in the dash where your switch is located. As mentioned above, the light in the console indicates with the airbag is deactivated automatically based on sensors in the seat. It will even deactivate if you are sitting in the seat wrong.

In the early years of passenger airbags when they were all single stage deployments and didn't have passenger sensors, you could get a waiver to have a switch installed. I don't think they given the waivers in the last 10 or 15 years.
I can confirm this... No switch, just an empty recess where the switch would be...

I did try the car seat (not the BMW child seat, just a plain Recaro child seat) on the front and when you clip the seat belt a light comes on the overhead console that says" passenger airbag disabled". If I lean/put enough weight on the child seat the light goes off; my guess is that it is triggered by the OC3 sensors on the seats...

I still feel safer keeping the child seat on the rear seat although the front is easier to access... My kids safety is worth the hassle
miula is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
I can confirm this... No switch, just an empty recess where the switch would be...

I did try the car seat (not the BMW child seat, just a plain Recaro child seat) on the front and when you clip the seat belt a light comes on the overhead console that says" passenger airbag disabled". If I lean/put enough weight on the child seat the light goes off; my guess is that it is triggered by the OC3 sensors on the seats...

I still feel safer keeping the child seat on the rear seat although the front is easier to access... My kids safety is worth the hassle
Thx for the responses!

concluding that automatic deactivation based on weight and roof unit warning light are fitted on the US 1Ms. Can someone pls check if the bottom two LATCH/Isofix latches are on the passenger seat. You should be able to see these from the back (a strip at the joint of bottom of the seat and the rear of the seat. And by sliding with your fingers between the rear and bottom of the seats, both at the left and right side of the seat a rectangular (1"x1.5") rod is mounted. See part # 5 in the attached image (US seat)
Attached Images
 
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

having completed the option 470 passenger airbag deactivation retrofit successfully on a US car (works just the same on any global E8x 1 series), this is the quick DIY:

Parts needed for 1M LHD (possibly need to order from Europe):
- 61310400036 Nachrüstsatz Abschaltung Beifahrerairbag (= retrofit kit)
- 61319196886 SCHALTER (switch, non key specific)
- 61136909058 HALTER (frontseat ISOfix bracket, you will need to go underneath and switch (for 1M OEM seat bottoms 52108052250) or modify your upholstery to install this!)
- 07147144879 SCHRAUBE (need 2 of these to fix previous line item ISOfix bracket)
- Non NA cars will need a new roof unit with on the right side a passenger airbag deactivation light (choose the version that supports your existing sunroof and communication options and additional option 470 = yes).
If you're very crafty, you can make the hole for the switch yourself with a large hole drill and a file, or order the precut side panel
- 51459124926 Cover, dashboard, right SCHWARZ (check RealOEM for other colors and RHD cars)

Check the attached BMW DIY manual, and don't forget the coding: Add option 470 to your VO/FA and program at least the ABG module (better: code car)

EDoc1593860304 German Retrofit Option470 IsoFix 61310400036.pdf (because of the advanced seat occupancy detection and roof unit light, US cars will have cable F pre-installed)

(Moderators, as this DIY suits all E82/E88/1series E8X, feel free to copy/move it to the general DIY section)

Last edited by eeghie; 07-03-2013 at 10:01 AM.
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
 
MuNkY6913's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: State College, PA

Posts: 1,083
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The isofix switch to turn off the passenger side airbag is on the passenger side of the dashboard - when you open the door, you can insert the metal key (from the keyfob) to deactivate the passenger side airbag. I think this is a euro only option - I'm not 100% sure though. Here it is on a 135i...
Dackel
THX mate, So does this come with the roof switch unit right side red light indicator " passenger airbag deactivated" (see right side switch in the attached image)

A470=Yes versions of the US Roof Switch Unit are outlined on REALOEM, so I would expect this option to be somehow existing on the US 1 series??
How do you remove this piece!!!!!
__________________

2009 135i
MuNkY6913 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
How do you remove this piece!!!!!
these are the service instructions for all panels involved. For the Roof switch center you'll need two hard plastic cards (~old credit cards) and insert them from the front at the show locations.
Name:  Roof Centre Remove.bmp
Views: 387
Size:  2.48 MB
Name:  E82 Side Panel Remove.bmp
Views: 392
Size:  2.09 MB
Name:  BMW Airbag Deactivation Switch.bmp
Views: 393
Size:  1.12 MB

let us know if you have questions or if you got it working.
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
 
MuNkY6913's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: State College, PA

Posts: 1,083
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
How do you remove this piece!!!!!
these are the service instructions for all panels involved. For the Roof switch center you'll need two hard plastic cards (~old credit cards) and insert them from the front at the show locations.
Attachment 952199
Attachment 952198
Attachment 952197

let us know if you have questions or if you got it working.
That's awesome! I just need to get that piece down to replace all the LEDs in it. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try this a little bit later to see how it works. Thanks a lot man!
__________________

2009 135i
MuNkY6913 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

Posts: 1,116
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuNkY6913 View Post
That's awesome! I just need to get that piece down to replace all the LEDs in it. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll try this a little bit later to see how it works. Thanks a lot man!
That's a related DIY, I would be interested in the after pics pics of the bulbs and part numbers.
eeghie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #16
CarJunkie
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Valencia Orange 1-Series M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

Posts: 535
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
I did read that in the US 1 series manual: It claims the seat occupation sensor now deactivates the airbag automatically:
- if heavy enough/weight pattern-> seat occupied-> airbag on.
- if child seat -> Airbag deactivated -> Roof Switch Unit light will warn.
- if no occupation -> No airbag activation and no warning light.

Can anybody confirm?
I can confirm that it works that way. When my 10 year old (weighs about 55lb) rides up front, I get the warning message that the passenger airbag is inactive. No such message when an adult is riding shotgun.
CarJunkie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST