BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
C4747Z
Second Lieutenant
C4747Z's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to C4747Z
Noise when turning at low speeds

Has anyone noticed a strange noise when making turns at low speeds? It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen turning in both directions. The wheel does not have to be fully locked.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
48
Rep
3,057
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Rear diferential?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
R53MT
R53MT
United_States
0
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: R53
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Differential noise

Have your differential fluid checked. That's what it was with my 1m.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
h-manuk
Private
h-manuk's Avatar
United Kingdom
5
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: BSM 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4747Z View Post
Has anyone noticed a strange noise when making turns at low speeds? It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen turning in both directions. The wheel does not have to be fully locked.
Yep definitely rear diff. Make sure the right oil was put in at the run in service (it has special additives). Even so the diff may make noises from time to time and is perfectly normal!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Redadair
Major
Redadair's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,357
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Murray

iTrader: (0)

What does it sound like and where does it sound like it's coming from?
__________________
2011 1M, Valencia Orange, All options.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 70K Miles
04 330i ZHP Sedan 55K miles
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
DooBs
Captain
DooBs's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
767
Posts

Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles / San Diego, California

iTrader: (1)

Only once when I was parking on an uphill I heard odd squeekish straining noises from the steering. Seemed slightly different from normal steering noise and I wasn't at full lock either, didn't think about it much, never happened again.
__________________
2011 BMW E82 ///M

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
andrewjbrady
New Member
1
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Reading, UK

iTrader: (0)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641919
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #8
1 eM
New Member
2
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wales

iTrader: (0)

Just had this with mine guys. Was in an underground carpark. Very cold. Drove about 3-4mph with a long right hander nearly full lock and could hear what sounded like wheel rubbing but emanating more from the steering area, there was slight vibration from the steering wheel also. Was thinking of taking it to BMW but want to go in pre-armed with what it could be really. Right guys we need to get to the bottom of this cos i hate niggly things!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
129
Rep
4,766
Posts

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hw‚r'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 eM
Just had this with mine guys. Was in an underground carpark. Very cold. Drove about 3-4mph with a long right hander nearly full lock and could hear what sounded like wheel rubbing but emanating more from the steering area, there was slight vibration from the steering wheel also. Was thinking of taking it to BMW but want to go in pre-armed with what it could be really. Right guys we need to get to the bottom of this cos i hate niggly things!!
"niggLy" things? What does that mean?

EDIT:
Niggly= trivial or petty details.

Not convinced this either trivial or petty. Never heard this sound on ANY previous M car I've ever owned...
__________________

Last edited by Mr.Metak2you; 02-20-2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
clived
Captain
clived's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: Evolved 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
"niggy" things? What does that mean?
You tell us - you're the one who has misquoted him I know what "niggly" means...
__________________
2011+: VO 1M Coupe, many toys, Evolve Stage 3. 2008-2011: 135i M Sport Le Mans Blue / Lemon / HGSL. Comfort Access, Auto−Dim, Elec Seats + Memory, Lumbar & Heating, PDC F+R, Xenons + Adaptive, Cruise, Nav Pro + Assist & Online, Voice Control, Bluetooth, DAB,6 Disc, Prof Hi−Fi (L7), USB/audio interface, BMW Performance Carbon Fibre interior, Evolve OBD remap - 390bhp. Also in the family: Land Rover Defender 50th Anniversary 4.0 V8, 11 Mercedes E Class Cabriolet Sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
129
Rep
4,766
Posts

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hw‚r'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clived
You tell us - you're the one who has misquoted him I know what "niggly" means...
niggLy! Whoops, what does that mean? I swear that was an accident. I can gather from the context, but I never heard that one before. Why don't you just tell us if you know rather than looking for typos to correct?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Papethova
Brigadier General
Papethova's Avatar
74
Rep
3,051
Posts

Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

iTrader: (1)

If you turn too far its the power steering pump that you hear
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
129
Rep
4,766
Posts

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hw‚r'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
If you turn too far its the power steering pump that you hear
I get the sound intermittently. I can hear it even just off center way before the lock with the car stationary. Here is the other "squeaky" wheel thread:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...1#post11251211
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
162
Rep
10,222
Posts

Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FahrvergnŁgen/NY

iTrader: (0)

When did you snag a 1M man?


And my contribution is I dont know what it could be. I just wanted to know when you got your car.
__________________

Motorsport Photographer - mattkalish.com
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
wkndwrrr's Avatar
2
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
Yep definitely rear diff. Make sure the right oil was put in at the run in service (it has special additives). Even so the diff may make noises from time to time and is perfectly normal!
Any way to tell yourself if the right oil was used?
And if it wasn't, is it something that needs to be addressed right away? Or just merely a annoyance with the noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #16
h-manuk
Private
h-manuk's Avatar
United Kingdom
5
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: BSM 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndwrrr View Post
Any way to tell yourself if the right oil was used?
And if it wasn't, is it something that needs to be addressed right away? Or just merely a annoyance with the noise?
The diff oil used should be itemised on the service schedule and the correct type is posted on one of the service threads here somewhere. If it was not the right type, yes it should be addressed ASAP but don't panic as it won't cause any damage.

The 1M has quite a stiff diff anyway and will make more of a noise when the car is cold especially at low speeds. Noisy diffs with M models are well documented on many forums and will generally quieten down over time with miles!

Although this is a road car it is very close to supercar levels of performance and the set up of this car is quite aggressive so noises from the brakes, diffs, suspension and occasional vibrations from steering rack should be expected!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #17
wkndwrrr
Private First Class
wkndwrrr's Avatar
2
Rep
183
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
The diff oil used should be itemised on the service schedule and the correct type is posted on one of the service threads here somewhere. If it was not the right type, yes it should be addressed ASAP but don't panic as it won't cause any damage.

The 1M has quite a stiff diff anyway and will make more of a noise when the car is cold especially at low speeds. Noisy diffs with M models are well documented on many forums and will generally quieten down over time with miles!

Although this is a road car it is very close to supercar levels of performance and the set up of this car is quite aggressive so noises from the brakes, diffs, suspension and occasional vibrations from steering rack should be expected!
Ah Thanks!
The problem is, I did the first service quite a while ago before I found this forum, so I wasn't able to make sure the service dept. had it right.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I get a strange noise at low speeds sometimes. Sounds like it's coming from the diff.

It sounds like rocks bouncing off of a hollow can. It usually happens after I drive hard and then go slow.

And no, it's not the pins on the brakes. It only happens when rolling slowly.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
I get a strange noise at low speeds sometimes. Sounds like it's coming from the diff.

It sounds like rocks bouncing off of a hollow can. It usually happens after I drive hard and then go slow.

And no, it's not the pins on the brakes. It only happens when rolling slowly.
Perfect description of what I heard this morning pulling away from a mailbox. Definitely coming from somewhere to the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
7
Rep
704
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Perfect description of what I heard this morning pulling away from a mailbox. Definitely coming from somewhere to the rear.
I haven't noticed any performance issues, just worried about the metallic sound.

Anyone else have this sound?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
WLKSFTLY
Enlisted Member
WLKSFTLY's Avatar
6
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: Noir 1M ED April 5th 2011
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Just before my car went into winter storage, it started making a sound that I was certain was diff noise becuase it only seemed to happen backing out of driveway at about half lock and it wasn't a smooth noise...like diff chatter....then looking over the car I found the vents in the front inner fender well were well worn and were grabbing the tread of the tire going backwards. Reminds me. I gotta fix that.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #22
C4747Z
Second Lieutenant
C4747Z's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
217
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to C4747Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
When did you snag a 1M man?


And my contribution is I dont know what it could be. I just wanted to know when you got your car.
Got it in July lol.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST