BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #23
jkoral
Captain
 
Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

Posts: 778
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by $Everfly$ View Post
I want one, without group buy is around $500 so may just wait for another group buy come around
I would recommend saving 50 and bringing the price down to 400 by skipping the extra vent. I had the original vent from my car and used that to install my v2.1 and it was not that difficult.

I suspect you may be waiting a while for another group buy, but ask RiXst3r.
jkoral is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Good demo video of the v2 gauge, this sold me into upgrading from v1.

Yeah, good video.
But the price kills it for me.
I bought the PPK, which gives me actual power, not just watching power, for less than that.
MPBK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #25
Harlequin
Brigadier General
 
Harlequin's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member

Posts: 3,200
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I know this is the ///M section but as others will no doubt read it I thought I should add this:

If you have an N55 Engine and are using the Digital Boost reading instead of the Vacuum Tap AND you have a JB3/JB4 then you have to go through the firewall and tap the MAF Sensor on the JB Harness to get actual boost. You then set the Gauge to A.N55.

This only adds bout 6 minutes to the install though...

Also: I love my P3....
__________________
Harlequin is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #26
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Yeah, good video.
But the price kills it for me.
I bought the PPK, which gives me actual power, not just watching power, for less than that.
Watching power? Its more like monitoring engine parameters that are vital especially when you have modifications done to the car. Any true enthusiast would appreciate what it has to offer.

@ PPK providing actual power.
RnmEvo9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
Drillslinger
Captain
 
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: No. VA

Posts: 912
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I'm away from a Pc right now so can't get a good look at the install pics. Does the gauge have to be disconnected in order to access the OBD plug (i.e. for services, repairs, etc)?

Thx
__________________


Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!


172 of 740
Drillslinger is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #28
Franklin Joseph
Captain
 
Drives: X5 - MCS - M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 753
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I'm away from a Pc right now so can't get a good look at the install pics. Does the gauge have to be disconnected in order to access the OBD plug (i.e. for services, repairs, etc)?

Thx

I left mine in for service...but i told my SA that if they needed to access the OBD2 port, to just unplug it. All you have to do is unplug the OBD connector and the gauge turns off.
Franklin Joseph is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #29
Drillslinger
Captain
 
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: No. VA

Posts: 912
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ok, thanks
__________________


Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!


172 of 740
Drillslinger is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #30
jkoral
Captain
 
Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

Posts: 778
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I'm away from a Pc right now so can't get a good look at the install pics. Does the gauge have to be disconnected in order to access the OBD plug (i.e. for services, repairs, etc)?
There are some folks that installed the previous v2 gauge and were able to use an OBD2 splitter to keep their port open and completely hide the gauge plug (even though only 1 device can read the canbus at a time).

My understanding is this is no longer possible with the v2.1 (and/or possibly not recommended by RiXst3r/P3). As a result, I didn't look into it any further.
jkoral is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
Drillslinger
Captain
 
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: No. VA

Posts: 912
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
No worries, I was mostly just curious if it used a pass through connector or not. It's still a really nice looking gauge and is on my list right behind the N55 mid-pipes

Thx
__________________


Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!


172 of 740
Drillslinger is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
RimasRS
Colonel
 
RimasRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,387
iTrader: (0)

To expensive. And I like more classical look... MO
RimasRS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 11:38 PM   #33
-cj-
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M | 2009 Red M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 357
iTrader: (2)

Does it come with instructions? I've done my own installs on previous cars, but I find there's a lack of information on how to take our cars apart lol. Then again, I've only been on the platform for 1.5 months...
-cj- is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #34
RaihaX
Major General
 
RaihaX's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

Posts: 5,029
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Does it come with instructions? I've done my own installs on previous cars, but I find there's a lack of information on how to take our cars apart lol. Then again, I've only been on the platform for 1.5 months...
Yeah is on their site and it only takes like 30 min to do
RaihaX is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #35
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 570
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Watching power? Its more like monitoring engine parameters that are vital especially when you have modifications done to the car. Any true enthusiast would appreciate what it has to offer.

@ PPK providing actual power.
There are certain things worth of monitoring... RPM, oil/water temp, etc.
Things that you can do something about. Things that affect your driving style.
Boost? Sure, if you installed a non-OEM turbo, I can see where you want to monitor it, if for nothing else, just to help you sleep at night knowing that it's still working.
But a factory turbo, one that is supposed to be transparent? What can you do about it? Why is it crucial to know what boost number you're running while driving?
It's like monitoring the battery voltage. Some older cars used to come with that guage. Why did they stop? Yeah, nice to know, but what do you do about it while driving?

Like I said, for a hundred bucks, maybe. It's something to watch for entertainment.
But $500? No, thank you. I'm not that OCD.

Yes, PPK provides real power. A lot more than changing exhaust and cone filters. And without affecting fuel consumption nor emissions to boot.
MPBK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #36
Snertz
H O O N
 
Snertz's Avatar
 
Drives: ein M?!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NY

Posts: 540
iTrader: (9)

Send a message via AIM to Snertz Send a message via Skype™ to Snertz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
There are certain things worth of monitoring... RPM, oil/water temp, etc.
Things that you can do something about. Things that affect your driving style.
Boost? Sure, if you installed a non-OEM turbo, I can see where you want to monitor it, if for nothing else, just to help you sleep at night knowing that it's still working.
But a factory turbo, one that is supposed to be transparent? What can you do about it? Why is it crucial to know what boost number you're running while driving?
It's like monitoring the battery voltage. Some older cars used to come with that guage. Why did they stop? Yeah, nice to know, but what do you do about it while driving?

Like I said, for a hundred bucks, maybe. It's something to watch for entertainment.
But $500? No, thank you. I'm not that OCD.
That's based on an assumption that one is running stock or nearly stock boost etc. There are those of us running aftermarket tunes and are constantly tweaking boost levels amount many other things; This is still on the stock turbos. That's where this gauge would come in handy, esp with the piggy backs where boost is dynamically raised or lowered by the tune based on running conditions at that moment. It's helpful to know whether or not our settings are being hit.

The other parameters you mentioned worth monitoring are also displayable through this gauge as well.
__________________

U WOT M8?
Snertz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #37
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Posts: 1,667
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
There are certain things worth of monitoring... RPM, oil/water temp, etc.
Things that you can do something about. Things that affect your driving style.
Boost? Sure, if you installed a non-OEM turbo, I can see where you want to monitor it, if for nothing else, just to help you sleep at night knowing that it's still working.
But a factory turbo, one that is supposed to be transparent? What can you do about it? Why is it crucial to know what boost number you're running while driving?
It's like monitoring the battery voltage. Some older cars used to come with that guage. Why did they stop? Yeah, nice to know, but what do you do about it while driving?

Like I said, for a hundred bucks, maybe. It's something to watch for entertainment.
But $500? No, thank you. I'm not that OCD.

Yes, PPK provides real power. A lot more than changing exhaust and cone filters. And without affecting fuel consumption nor emissions to boot.
Is your 135i your first turbo car? Serious question.

Monitoring boost levels is crucial even with OEM turbos. I have my 135i modified and I can easily tell if I am hitting my boost targets and/or if I have a boost leak/vacuum leak. If I suspect there is a problem, I can easily check on it to fix the issue. I can also monitor ignition timing in real time which lets me know if timing is being pulled during a pull. This can be due to bad gas or other factors, but the fact is that it will let me know if my car is running optimal or not. It also has a built in code reader so that whenever a check engine light appears, you will know exactly why it threw a code instead of taking it in at a BMW dealership and having them pull the code for you and maybe charging a diagnostic fee lol. Intake air temperatures and exhaust gas temperatures are important parameters to monitor when you are modified as you don't want those temps to be too high.

Obviously all of this may not be important to somebody else, that is why a cheaper version exists. But for me, it is a very handy tool which lets me monitor parameters that I find very important in how my car is running.

PPK adds what, 15-20hp? Yeah I made that much just from switching downpipes lol. It didn't affect my fuel consumption unless its my right foot doing the work.
RnmEvo9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
robertm
Captain
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

Posts: 868
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
Monitoring boost levels is crucial even with OEM turbos. I have my 135i modified and I can easily tell if I am hitting my boost targets and/or if I have a boost leak/vacuum leak. If I suspect there is a problem, I can easily check on it to fix the issue. I can also monitor ignition timing in real time which lets me know if timing is being pulled during a pull. This can be due to bad gas or other factors, but the fact is that it will let me know if my car is running optimal or not. It also has a built in code reader so that whenever a check engine light appears, you will know exactly why it threw a code instead of taking it in at a BMW dealership and having them pull the code for you and maybe charging a diagnostic fee lol. Intake air temperatures and exhaust gas temperatures are important parameters to monitor when you are modified as you don't want those temps to be too high.
This.
robertm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #39
MB38
[insert witty title here]
 
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Burbank, CA

Posts: 87
iTrader: (0)

Shit, my 1992 Volvo wagon had a boost gauge...



I'm honestly stunned that the 1M doesn't have a monitoring system similar to Nissan's GT-R built into iDrive...
MB38 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #40
jkoral
Captain
 
Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

Posts: 778
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB38 View Post
Shit, my 1992 Volvo wagon had a boost gauge...
And coolant temp and a voltmeter, two things that the P3 gauge v2 also adds.
jkoral is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST