BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
evoiii90
Private

Drives: E30 M3

Battery low warning sign on dash after listening to stereo for a while

Hi All,

I've been getting the low battery warning sign followed by the car shutdown (off mode) after a couple of minutes after listening to music for about an hour or two, maybe less. Of course this happens while the car is parked and the engine is off. Engine starts fine after car goes into off mode.

I know this low battery warning sign is to prevent the battery from being drained completely so the battery has enough juice to start the engine again, but even with a battery tender hooked up, I still get the low battery warning sign. I usually listen to music when I'm working at the garage on something so if I spend more than 1 or 2 hours on what I'm doing, then music will stop because of this...

I'm not sure how many amps the HK sound system uses, and I know it depends on the volume, but this whole thing is getting annoying....

Wondering if anyone else have experienced something similar... Maybe it's time to ask the dealer to get a new battery under warranty.
Euro Brilliant Rot Sport Evolution E30 M3; Valencia Orange 1M; Interlagos Blue E90 M3; (gone) 04 White/Cinnamon E46 M3 (sold); US E30 M3 (track car project); US E36 M3 Sedan (sold); Euro E36 M3 (gone but not forgotten)
      04-14-2014, 02:08 AM   #2
Stratus650
First Lieutenant

Drives: 1er M Coupe

Got the same message, I already bought a replacement battery, ill update you once replaced and registered.

'12 Candy Grey Metallic 1M
Stratus650 is offline   United Arab Emirates
      04-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #3
Fab3032128i
FOE

Drives: BMW 128i

It happen to me , ignored it , didn't use the radio unless the car was on for three day's. All is good, car hasn't died on me and haven't seen any warning signs.
      04-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Berra

Drives: X5 40d, M5 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoiii90 View Post
Hi All,
I usually listen to music when I'm working at the garage on something so if I spend more than 1 or 2 hours on what I'm doing, then music will stop because of this...

Wondering if anyone else have experienced something similar... Maybe it's time to ask the dealer to get a new battery under warranty.
Why would you ask the dealer for a new battery when you´re the one killing it? You should buy a stereo or something to have in the garage, playing music in the car will wear out the battery, it´s not something you should do.

Try and recharge it!
      04-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Captain

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Listening to the radio "for a couple hours" with the engine off and you are wondering why you get a low battery warning?

SRS?
      04-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
MDORPHN
Colonel

Drives: AW 1M

Really not a good idea, but -- if you're going to persist -- buy a battery charger.

Neil
      04-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #7
evoiii90
Private

Drives: E30 M3

Maybe I didn't explain this well enough...

I'm not saying using the stereo won't eventually kill the battery, that's a given since the energy to power the stereo is coming from somewhere. What I'm saying is that either the battery is draining too fast for the load (stereo), maybe because the battery is defective, OR, the battery monitoring system threshold is too low and/or over sensitive.

I did mention on my original post this will happen EVEN with a good battery charger/tender connected. I have tried/used TWO different battery chargers/tenders, one rated at 3 amps and the other at 6 amps. The car will still shutdown after one or two hours EVEN with either of these battery chargers/tenders connected saying the battery is 100% charged. Obviously for this to happen the car's battery monitoring system is calculating something different compared both of the battery chargers/tender's monitoring system.

And it's not unrealistic to expect the battery to last for this, or the monitoring system not to shutdown the car, more than 1 hour or even more than two hours after it has been playing music through the stereo. I did this many times with my E90 M3 with the premium sound and the car wouldn't shutdown even after several hours.

Either way I guess I'll connect to the car with INPA and check what the car is actually saying about the battery, I just need to get a new cable since my old one stopped working.
Euro Brilliant Rot Sport Evolution E30 M3; Valencia Orange 1M; Interlagos Blue E90 M3; (gone) 04 White/Cinnamon E46 M3 (sold); US E30 M3 (track car project); US E36 M3 Sedan (sold); Euro E36 M3 (gone but not forgotten)
      04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoiii90 View Post
Maybe I didn't explain this well enough...

I'm not saying using the stereo won't eventually kill the battery, that's a given since the energy to power the stereo is coming from somewhere. What I'm saying is that either the battery is draining too fast for the load (stereo), maybe because the battery is defective, OR, the battery monitoring system threshold is too low and/or over sensitive.

I did mention on my original post this will happen EVEN with a good battery charger/tender connected. I have tried/used TWO different battery chargers/tenders, one rated at 3 amps and the other at 6 amps. The car will still shutdown after one or two hours EVEN with either of these battery chargers/tenders connected saying the battery is 100% charged. Obviously for this to happen the car's battery monitoring system is calculating something different compared both of the battery chargers/tender's monitoring system.

And it's not unrealistic to expect the battery to last for this, or the monitoring system not to shutdown the car, more than 1 hour or even more than two hours after it has been playing music through the stereo. I did this many times with my E90 M3 with the premium sound and the car wouldn't shutdown even after several hours.

Either way I guess I'll connect to the car with INPA and check what the car is actually saying about the battery, I just need to get a new cable since my old one stopped working.

Cars are getting smarter....

On my car.. the HALO rings for the headlights stay on with the car in park until the door is opened. Listening to music with car off and this on together would be a big drain.

of course the stereo also shuts off after 20 minutes..

aside from providing music at an event like a volleyball pit, or perhaps in a car stereo competition....

What are you doing to listen to a car stereo for 2 hours with engine off?

PS... that's what houses are for... :-)

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 04-15-2014 at 02:56 PM.