BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
11
Rep
689
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 1ToBeOn2Wheels
I had this issue happen to me, learned the hard way. It was ~$2k to get fixed. Sounds like it might be time to upgrade to Euro LCI headlights.
__________________

-2012 VW MKVI GTI Autobahn w/ DSG (SOLD)
-2008 E82 N54 135i Coupé 6MT
-2001 E46 M3 Coupé 6MT (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #24
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,663
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
I had this issue happen to me, learned the hard way. It was ~$2k to get fixed. Sounds like it might be time to upgrade to Euro LCI headlights.

OUCH! $2K for $20 AE bulbs. We should make a PSA on this topic! Sorry man. Maybe other can learn from your mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
sistom
Second Lieutenant
sistom's Avatar
11
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Well they quoted me $2,500 for parts and labor!!!!

I asked them to ask BMW USA if they would cover it since I was only out of warranty by 3 weeks.

I just got a call back today and guess what, BMW IS COVERING ALL COSTS!!!

I'm pumped! That sure made my Easter weekend 100000x better.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
ken1137
Brigadier General
ken1137's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,697
Posts

 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistom View Post
Well they quoted me $2,500 for parts and labor!!!!

I asked them to ask BMW USA if they would cover it since I was only out of warranty by 3 weeks.

I just got a call back today and guess what, BMW IS COVERING ALL COSTS!!!

I'm pumped! That sure made my Easter weekend 100000x better.
__________________

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
sistom
Second Lieutenant
sistom's Avatar
11
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ToBeOn2Wheels View Post
I had this issue happen to me, learned the hard way. It was ~$2k to get fixed. Sounds like it might be time to upgrade to Euro LCI headlights.
What color are the halos on the Euro LCIs? Is it the same yellowish color?

If not, I'm considering selling my current lights and buying the euros..

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
RimasRS
Colonel
RimasRS's Avatar
28
Rep
2,397
Posts

 
Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Euro will be same just w/o amber corners... google for it...

P.S. What you can tell now about BMS 360 LED's
good that BMW will pay for replacement...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:04 AM   #29
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,663
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistom View Post
Well they quoted me $2,500 for parts and labor!!!!

I asked them to ask BMW USA if they would cover it since I was only out of warranty by 3 weeks.

I just got a call back today and guess what, BMW IS COVERING ALL COSTS!!!

I'm pumped! That sure made my Easter weekend 100000x better.

That is very good news!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #30
tracer bullet
Captain
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
728
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135i - AW w/ TC
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

I am starting to think that all AE kits should come with bright hot pink colored pieces of paper, wrapped around the kit so you are forced to see it, explaining the importance of placing the ballasts in a spot that doesn't interfere with the adaptive mechanism, and also the importance of getting the headlight cover on properly.

If it's not on correctly, you wash the car, get water inside, and kill the headlight. I wonder how many headlights BMW replaces for this?

I'm not bitching at anyone, it's an easy mistake. I do kind of wish the instructions included something like this though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
Bdh821
Major
16
Rep
1,261
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive, 2012 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Bdh821
I think I'm going through the same problem. This SUCKS. Fortunately I'm still under warranty but my car is very well modded. I could put my angel eyes back to stock but who knows what will happen... wonderful... all these little problems makes me wanna sell this fucker
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #32
tracer bullet
Captain
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
728
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135i - AW w/ TC
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdh821 View Post
all these little problems makes me wanna sell this fucker
Little problems like what, headlight condensation? If so it's owner induced, hardly something to blame the car for.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
Bdh821
Major
16
Rep
1,261
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive, 2012 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Bdh821
My point is, I want a car I'm happy with from the factory. No more modding.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:23 AM   #34
sistom
Second Lieutenant
sistom's Avatar
11
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdh821 View Post
My point is, I want a car I'm happy with from the factory. No more modding.
Modding my cars is one of my favorite parts of having them.

I generally get ready to sell a car after I'm done playing with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #35
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,663
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I am starting to think that all AE kits should come with bright hot pink colored pieces of paper, wrapped around the kit so you are forced to see it, explaining the importance of placing the ballasts in a spot that doesn't interfere with the adaptive mechanism, and also the importance of getting the headlight cover on properly.

If it's not on correctly, you wash the car, get water inside, and kill the headlight. I wonder how many headlights BMW replaces for this?

I'm not bitching at anyone, it's an easy mistake. I do kind of wish the instructions included something like this though.

^ +1 could not agree more. But the problem with most aftermarket parts is that they come with NO directions what so ever!

Welcome to the wonderfull world of (modding)aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #36
sistom
Second Lieutenant
sistom's Avatar
11
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Alright guys, I finally got the balls to reinstall the BMS LEDs...

I swear, if condensation gets in those damn headlights again, I'm going to die.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #37
debadgedbmw1
BMW: intake,exhaust,strut bar,18''M1styl,CFspoiler
debadgedbmw1's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: 09 128i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ontario

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite
I have posted the symbol you are receiving via picture below.

Unfortunately since you have a 135i with Xenons -- you will not be able to just pick up a set of DEPOs since they use Halogen settings. You will more than likely be forced to buy new headlights or used ones from the forum/eBay.

Hope this helps!
I only have the factory 128 halogen lights(no zenon or addaptive), what depot brand do u recommend? not interested in any error codes. Preferably not doing any coding to void warranty?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #38
Bdh821
Major
16
Rep
1,261
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive, 2012 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: MA

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to Bdh821
So the end result of my issue. BMW warrantied my headlight and 100% replaced the whole headlight assembly. It was a PITA but am now just gonna stick with stock everything. They quoted me $1800 for the headlight and programing of it
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 01:19 AM   #39
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
TheSt|G's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
4,319
Posts

 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

iTrader: (2)

Could be worse, aftermarket angel eyes for the E46 M3 used to cause fires with fair regularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistom View Post
Close but I actually got the cover back on, clamped it down, and it still got moisture inside it somehow...
Clearly you didn't then.
__________________
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:24 PM   #40
sistom
Second Lieutenant
sistom's Avatar
11
Rep
234
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i M-Sport Coupé
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint Simons Island, Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Clearly you didn't then.
Thank you for that bit of overwhelmingly helpful knowledge sir.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #41
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,014
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
2008 135i SOLD  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Quote:
Originally Posted by sistom View Post
Well they quoted me $2,500 for parts and labor!!!!

I asked them to ask BMW USA if they would cover it since I was only out of warranty by 3 weeks.

I just got a call back today and guess what, BMW IS COVERING ALL COSTS!!!

I'm pumped! That sure made my Easter weekend 100000x better.
Same thing has happened to me, adaptive error and condensation after a hellacious storm I drove in this past Saturday. I am just out of warranty Do you have any advice for getting this fixed under "goodwill" I almost never drive in the rain.

I believe that the adaptive malfunction was triggered by me. I pulled the rear leveling sensor off when I installed my M3 camber links (waiting for the new bracket to come in) The moisture in the light could be from the seals on the covering plate. It looks pretty compressed after inspecting it...and it was installed properly.

any advice appreciated, Glad you got yours fixed.
__________________
///1M #643 of #740 / Ohlins R&T / AR Design catless DPs / N55 Mids / HPF OCC / ER CP / BMWP Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #42
FIRST1
Captain
United_States
18
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
So I have the BMS LED angel eyes on my 135i, and it gave me adaptive headlight error, so I had the addaptive headlights coded off, I don't need them. I've driven in the rain after that, but now I just got a car wash, and my left low beam lamp is malfunctioning. I can actually see the condensation in the headlight. I know the cover under the hood is securely sealed with both clamps closed, I watched the guy at the shop close them securely when I asked him to (when I was at a shop getting other shit done). My warranty literally expired 8 days ago. Should I just wait til the condensation clears, then test out the lights? Or am I already screwed? I'm very worried based on reading this thread. I hate the BMS angel eyes, nothing but trouble... I admit they do look awesome though...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #43
1&done
Major
1&done's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,014
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (22)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
2008 135i SOLD  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
So I have the BMS LED angel eyes on my 135i, and it gave me adaptive headlight error, so I had the addaptive headlights coded off, I don't need them. I've driven in the rain after that, but now I just got a car wash, and my left low beam lamp is malfunctioning. I can actually see the condensation in the headlight. I know the cover under the hood is securely sealed with both clamps closed, I watched the guy at the shop close them securely when I asked him to (when I was at a shop getting other shit done). My warranty literally expired 8 days ago. Should I just wait til the condensation clears, then test out the lights? Or am I already screwed? I'm very worried based on reading this thread. I hate the BMS angel eyes, nothing but trouble... I admit they do look awesome though...

It's probably not the BMS AEs. Had a similar issue. Which light is it, passenger?

I would put it back to stock and go right to the dealer, they are aware of the issues because many series bimmers have had the samething happen. Make sure you have the OEM bulbs installed. Pm me your email and I will send over the documentation to take to the dealer.

Try and take a pic of the light to show the condensation, if they refuse to repair it call BMWNA, the dealer "has the resources to fix it" .

I have order a new adaptive motor and new cover, I believe the cover is faulty, it might be the design, I do not think my light is cracked. GL
__________________
///1M #643 of #740 / Ohlins R&T / AR Design catless DPs / N55 Mids / HPF OCC / ER CP / BMWP Rear Spoiler

Last edited by 1&done; 12-21-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Sp
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #44
FIRST1
Captain
United_States
18
Rep
763
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&done View Post
It's probably not the BMS AEs. Had a similar issue. Which light is it, passenger?

I would put it back to stock and go right to the dealer, they are aware of the issues because many series bimmers have had the samething happen. Make sure you have the OEM bulbs installed. Pm me your email and I will send over the documentation to take to the dealer.

Try and take a pic of the light to show the condensation, if they refuse to repair it call BMWNA, the dealer "has the resources to fix it" .

I have order a new adaptive motor and new cover, I believe the cover is faulty, it might be the design, I do not think my light is cracked. GL
Driver's side. Going on vacation tomorrow for a week, when I get back I will put stock bulbs back and take it to dealer. Sent you a PM. I do have a pic of the condensation, and it's still there (got the car wash ~34 hours ago).
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST