BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #67
1M Fan
SMSgt
 
Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA, TN

Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
Holy that's kinda scary Dack!
Makes me wonder which would be better, installing a GPS tracker or just relocating the OBD port
better yet, relocate the port, but leave the original in place and not connected... you will appreciate the look on their faces
This gets my vote. It's not hard to do!
1M Fan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #68
Tony135
Major
 
Tony135's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,266
iTrader: (0)

Man this is horrible. How is it that easy to steal a new car? Jeez.
Tony135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #69
JasonCSU
Colonel
 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,149
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Sorry to hear about the theft OP. Any update on the car? Hearing about thefts like this gets me so angry. It really seems to be time to institute stiffer punishments for theft which would hopefully be the best long term deterrent.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
JasonCSU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #70
mdputnam
Private First Class
 
mdputnam's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Guaranteed up to $1000 against the owner's comprehensive insurance deductible (Not valid in New York State, Hawaii, Texas or Wisconsin where it is prohibited by insurance law)
Max opening (inside of hooks) 415mm/ 16.3 inches
I hate to say is but, those locks are useless, at the core of most automotive steering wheels is a small diameter mild steel rod. Take your standard bypass power garden lopper from Home Depot:



And slice through the steering wheel, pry the two ends apart and remove the club lock. Garden loppers are standard equipment in any car thief's tool kit.
mdputnam is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #71
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Black Pyrat
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Constitution State

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

anyone tried to do something like this? could be a dual-purpose device

http://www.instamapper.com/diy.html
-Z- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #72
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,706
iTrader: (0)

Only one real solution...

MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #73
LOVEM
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 1m VO
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 915
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Only one real solution...

it was funny.very funny.
LOVEM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #74
hybris4u
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

Posts: 602
iTrader: (0)

ODB port lock, aftermarket Larm + BMW larm, GPS tracker, steering wheel rod, Iphone apps app... Should be a pain in the ass for the thief if we combine all of those. Maybe also leave an old iPhone in the car that is unlocked. With a couple of tracking apps on it... Then direct connection the the local Hell Angels club. (Maybe there is a good sticker that would scare most people?) ;-)
hybris4u is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #75
T1T2GRE
CW2
 
T1T2GRE's Avatar
 
Drives: Nice days: 128i Nicer days: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pennsylvania

Posts: 428
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
<---- grabs a pair of pliers and the blowtorch...

That really sucks, OP. Sorry for the loss. Here's to hoping they find it intact. Mine is garaged separately with steering wheel lock as well. Might be time to get a pedal or wheel lock also. Can also always do a cheap wailer on the windows and garage door.
__________________
You will have goosepimples.
T1T2GRE is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2012, 04:24 PM   #76
Simsims
Captain
 
Drives: 119/220
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
ODB port lock, aftermarket Larm + BMW larm, GPS tracker, steering wheel rod, Iphone apps app... Should be a pain in the ass for the thief if we combine all of those. Maybe also leave an old iPhone in the car that is unlocked. With a couple of tracking apps on it... Then direct connection the the local Hell Angels club. (Maybe there is a good sticker that would scare most people?) ;-)
Then he's just key the shit of your car.
__________________
VO 1M - everything except sunroof
RIP BSM 135i 2009-2011
Simsims is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #77
woosh
Colonel
 
woosh's Avatar
 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 2,146
iTrader: (0)

Any updates? Or have you started thinking about buying a new car already...
woosh is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #78
Shost
Second Lieutenant
 
Shost's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Essex

Posts: 274
iTrader: (0)

Since I already had a query with BMW UK about some other issue I sent a quick email regarding these OBD Port thefts and unsuprisingly here is the official line:

Dear Mr S

Thank you for your online communication dated April 2, 2012.
I can confirm that all BMW vehicles are tested and comply with the security regulations in the UK and it is disappointing that in certain cases these have been overcome by criminal activity. BMW are ever advancing the security on our vehicles to keep up with the new ways that car thief's employ, to commit vehicle theft.
While BMW take pride in guaranteeing the safety and performance of our vehicles, respecting the safety existing in various countries, a car manufacturer cannot possibly know the many techniques criminals use and then produce vehicles that are equipped to deter them. BMW follow EU safety regulations in relation to the specifications of our vehicles. Local police forces can instead advise on the measures to adopt or deter local criminals, since this is their field of expertise. If you are seeking further information on this, please discuss this matter with your local police force, as they will also be able to offer you further advice on how to keep your vehicle safe.
I am sorry that I was unable to provide further advice. It is regrettable that we are unable to speculate on how BMW's have been stolen and what method was adopted in order to carry out this crime. However, if you require any further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK
Shost is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #79
1MSept11
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Midlands

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I have been getting updates from the Police, give them credit they are letting me know what's going on, although its more of a 'were working on stopping them' more than 'were trying to get your car back'. Having told them I don't want it back, I guess this is what I want to hear.

I am starting to look at what else is around, I could go for another 1M and relocate the OBD, and would love an RS4 but thats going to go just as quick, and the police have warned me off this exact car! Not sure, think I might get something cheap and not so attractive at least until I move to a big house in the middle of nowhere with 2 Dobermans and a double garage. The harder it is for them to get the car off the drive, the more you bring the risk of them entering the house to get the keys.

The scum will be watching the house to see what I replace the 1M with so I don't want it playing on my mind 24/7. I'm looking at the positives, thinking it was a good job I didn't have a gun pointed at me for it.

I've written a letter to BMW venting my fury, I know it wont get me anywhere and they'll admit no blame but it was good to get it down on paper.

What's making me angry is knowing my car is probably in a container somewhere not being looked after and in need of a good wash!

Although I don't want to say it, I think they've won...for now.
1MSept11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #80
iDave
Private First Class
 
Drives: 1 series M coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Doncaster

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11
I have been getting updates from the Police, give them credit they are letting me know what's going on, although its more of a 'were working on stopping them' more than 'were trying to get your car back'. Having told them I don't want it back, I guess this is what I want to hear.

I am starting to look at what else is around, I could go for another 1M and relocate the OBD, and would love an RS4 but thats going to go just as quick, and the police have warned me off this exact car! Not sure, think I might get something cheap and not so attractive at least until I move to a big house in the middle of nowhere with 2 Dobermans and a double garage. The harder it is for them to get the car off the drive, the more you bring the risk of them entering the house to get the keys.

The scum will be watching the house to see what I replace the 1M with so I don't want it playing on my mind 24/7. I'm looking at the positives, thinking it was a good job I didn't have a gun pointed at me for it.

I've written a letter to BMW venting my fury, I know it wont get me anywhere and they'll admit no blame but it was good to get it down on paper.

What's making me angry is knowing my car is probably in a container somewhere not being looked after and in need of a good wash!

Although I don't want to say it, I think they've won...for now.
Feel for you ! Hope you get sorted with the insurance ASAP
iDave is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #81
1MSept11
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Midlands

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Since I already had a query with BMW UK about some other issue I sent a quick email regarding these OBD Port thefts and unsuprisingly here is the official line:

Dear Mr S

Thank you for your online communication dated April 2, 2012.
I can confirm that all BMW vehicles are tested and comply with the security regulations in the UK and it is disappointing that in certain cases these have been overcome by criminal activity. BMW are ever advancing the security on our vehicles to keep up with the new ways that car thief's employ, to commit vehicle theft.
While BMW take pride in guaranteeing the safety and performance of our vehicles, respecting the safety existing in various countries, a car manufacturer cannot possibly know the many techniques criminals use and then produce vehicles that are equipped to deter them. BMW follow EU safety regulations in relation to the specifications of our vehicles. Local police forces can instead advise on the measures to adopt or deter local criminals, since this is their field of expertise. If you are seeking further information on this, please discuss this matter with your local police force, as they will also be able to offer you further advice on how to keep your vehicle safe.
I am sorry that I was unable to provide further advice. It is regrettable that we are unable to speculate on how BMW's have been stolen and what method was adopted in order to carry out this crime. However, if you require any further assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK


This makes me laugh. Pathetic.
Weird how this hasn't made the local or national news/watchdog or even crimewatch? Apparently £250,000 worth of BMWs were stolen in ONE NIGHT a few weeks ago using this exact method or re-programming the key.
1MSept11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #82
doublevanosrc
Loves Runflats.
 
doublevanosrc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VW GTi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin. Tx

Posts: 1,860
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 BMW  [0.00]
This just amazes me that a $50k late model car can be stolen with nothing more than a fancy scientific calculator from ebay.
__________________
2011 135i M Sport
Gone and missed
doublevanosrc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #83
1MSept11
New Member
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Midlands

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I agree, this is the point im trying to make to BMW. At the moment I'm asking for them to pay for my insurance excess £700, but they are saying NO.

I will take this all the way if they don't, ill release the CCTV onto YouTube and ill make certain everyone knows not to buy their cars.


Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
This just amazes me that a $50k late model car can be stolen with nothing more than a fancy scientific calculator from ebay.
1MSept11 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #84
Pete_vB
Captain
 
Pete_vB's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 GT3, 1M, 912, R32
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, Shenzhen, Oman

Posts: 810
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
I agree, this is the point im trying to make to BMW. At the moment I'm asking for them to pay for my insurance excess £700, but they are saying NO.

I will take this all the way if they don't, ill release the CCTV onto YouTube and ill make certain everyone knows not to buy their cars.
Sorry, but did you just say you're trying to blackmail BMW into paying your deductible?

Sure, raise awareness of how crappy their security is, by all means. Maybe they will do something about it and it'll help the next guy. Expecting them to pay for your deductible is over the top IMHO, and blackmailing them into doing so, well, I don't agree...
__________________
1M, 1969 Porsche 911 w/ 997 GT3 Cup Motor (435hp & 2,100 lbs)
Pete_vB is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #85
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
 
Rikx1M's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M #739/740
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama

Posts: 1,659
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
So I took my 1M to the German dealer today and we replicated the fact that there is a blind spot to the motion sensors...he couldn't do anything OEM but suggested moving the OBD port or looking for something called an OBD lock...anyone heard of such a thing?
__________________
Rikx1M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 02:04 PM   #86
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
So I took my 1M to the German dealer today and we replicated the fact that there is a blind spot to the motion sensors...he couldn't do anything OEM but suggested moving the OBD port or looking for something called an OBD lock...anyone heard of such a thing?
wow......
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #87
Artemis
Brigadier General
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,227
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MSept11 View Post
I agree, this is the point I'm trying to make to BMW. At the moment I'm asking for them to pay for my insurance excess £700, but they are saying NO.
I will take this all the way if they don't, I'll release the CCTV onto YouTube and I'll make certain everyone knows not to buy their cars.
I dissent.

Despite your understandable frustration, you gotta keep cool. Be courteous to BMW and elaborate (off forum) what happened in a serene way, if you got the slightest expectation to ever get some ex gratia gesture.

If you shout, squeal, threaten and insult, you can simply forget about it and will have no other option then bringing in lawyers or swallow/shelve the issue. You got the burden of proof.

Mere basics of communication for attempting to get a favor (which you consider as a right) without hassle, don't you think so ?
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Artemis is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      04-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #88
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
 
Rikx1M's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M #739/740
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama

Posts: 1,659
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
We collective need to come up with a way that we can use this bad situation to prevent it from happening to more BMW owners...especially the 1M owners.......time to brainstorm ideas.
__________________
Rikx1M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST