BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
 
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bear's Ass Canada! (Fort Mac)

Posts: 292
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to evilstib
Cobb - I'm sooooo disappointed!

How in gods name am I going to win a race if I can't get traction...thanks for nothing!



On a serious note, I just installed the COBB Stage 1 linear and it feels a LOT stronger than my Dinan Stage II did.

I'm VERY much looking forward to Stage 1 + FMIC when it comes...

Does anyone have experience with Stage 1 Linear vs Stage 1 Aggressive...I'm really wondering what the difference is (other than some torque)?

The nearest 93 octane is ~10 miles from my place...

Can someone chime in and offer some personal experience? Just tell me the 10 mile drive is worth it...thx!
evilstib is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
MilehighM3
Colonel
 
MilehighM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado Springs

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (9)

Of course it is! Haha
MilehighM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #3
P7X
Lieutenant
 
P7X's Avatar
 
Drives: N54 BMW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Posts: 413
iTrader: (0)

Can't wait!

+1 on the difference between linear and aggressive.
__________________
P7X is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
 
RX-BMW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: St. Louis

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

IMO, with v.401 Linear vs aggressive, not touchy throttle, vs VERY touchy throttle (ftw)
RX-BMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Everfly
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Everfly's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 135i M sport.
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Indianapolis

Posts: 1,954
iTrader: (27)

You guy so lucky not N55 like us ;(
__________________
Everfly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
 
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bear's Ass Canada! (Fort Mac)

Posts: 292
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to evilstib
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW
IMO, with v.401 Linear vs aggressive, not touchy throttle, vs VERY touchy throttle (ftw)
I think I'll just fuel up on 93 and test it out.

I think it's the easiest way!
evilstib is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Posts: 1,692
iTrader: (2)

This reminds me of when I created a thread on e90post of how Cobb made me look like an idiot lol

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643950

And yes, 93 is absolutely worth the 10 mile drive.
RnmEvo9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Spoolin Montego
First Lieutenant
 
Spoolin Montego's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 135i/12 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

With just my Cobb beta aggressive tune it's hard to get traction in first gear. I know If it would hook this car would haul ass. What are you guys doing to maintain traction in first?
__________________
2009 135i 6 Speed | VRSF Downpipes | Evolution Racewerks Intercooler | aFe Dual Cone | Cobb Stage 2+ | Apex ARC8
Spoolin Montego is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
wrfam
WR-FAM
 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

My car is an n54 with a step-tronic transmission.
No launch control from bmw, but I discovered that if you do a 2nd gear launch, you can build up to 2500rpm and have no wheel-spin during the first 20ft. When full-throttled, the transmission overrides and sends it back to first gear, thus making it a faster launch. I coined it DWP (Dynamic Wheel-spin Prevention).
If do a first gear launch with traction control, the traction control will kick-in and stop the car; and no traction control will cause a burnout or too much wheel-spin. My technique allows for a faster launch without having the factory launch control.
wrfam is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
Spoolin Montego
First Lieutenant
 
Spoolin Montego's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 135i/12 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrfam
My car is an n54 with a step-tronic transmission.
No launch control from bmw, but I discovered that if you do a 2nd gear launch, you can build up to 2500rpm and have no wheel-spin during the first 20ft. When full-throttled, the transmission overrides and sends it back to first gear, thus making it a faster launch. I coined it DWP (Dynamic Wheel-spin Prevention).
If do a first gear launch with traction control, the traction control will kick-in and stop the car; and no traction control will cause a burnout or too much wheel-spin. My technique allows for a faster launch without having the factory launch control.
Ahh should of mentioned I have a manual. So that method wouldnt really work lol
__________________
2009 135i 6 Speed | VRSF Downpipes | Evolution Racewerks Intercooler | aFe Dual Cone | Cobb Stage 2+ | Apex ARC8
Spoolin Montego is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
jeff2.0t
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Montreal

Posts: 168
iTrader: (0)

N55 ?
jeff2.0t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
mikead_99
Second Lieutenant
 
mikead_99's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 SMG 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NoVA

Posts: 201
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
With just my Cobb beta aggressive tune it's hard to get traction in first gear. I know If it would hook this car would haul ass. What are you guys doing to maintain traction in first?
Modulate the throttle, fastest isn't always floored....I hear you though. I just came off JB4 to Cobb and miss the first and second gear boost limts you can set on JB, although overall Cobb compares pretty favorably for me.
__________________
135i ....
mikead_99 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Dosturbos
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Msport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Medford, MA

Posts: 283
iTrader: (1)

I have an N54 with auto/step and JB4. To deal with your new found power, get a limited slip diff. I just got the wavetrac installed into my car and my launches and dickhead driving now have much more traction behind it. Also, helps tremendously with acceleration in to turns. LSD rules!
Dosturbos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #14
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
 
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bear's Ass Canada! (Fort Mac)

Posts: 292
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to evilstib
So my problems just became worse...I had a 1/4 of 91 octane, filled up with 94 octane....I now have ~93 octane....It looks like Stage 1 Aggressive time...

Now I skip traction in 3rd...holy shit I love it! I'm going to need new tires very soon...

23000kms (~16000 miles) on my RFTs...barely 1/4 of an inch tread left...am I abusive on my tires? lol!
evilstib is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
evilstib
Bimmer Newbie
 
Drives: CSM N54 Prem/Comf/Sound
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bear's Ass Canada! (Fort Mac)

Posts: 292
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to evilstib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
I have an N54 with auto/step and JB4. To deal with your new found power, get a limited slip diff. I just got the wavetrac installed into my car and my launches and dickhead driving now have much more traction behind it. Also, helps tremendously with acceleration in to turns. LSD rules!
Makes me just want to buy a 1M
evilstib is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #16
John Dempsey
Banned
 
Drives: White 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Encinitas

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
I have an N54 with auto/step and JB4. To deal with your new found power, get a limited slip diff. I just got the wavetrac installed into my car and my launches and dickhead driving now have much more traction behind it. Also, helps tremendously with acceleration in to turns. LSD rules!
+1 on the lsd! I just got the re geared quaife. HOLY SHIT
John Dempsey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
Dosturbos
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Msport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Medford, MA

Posts: 283
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilstib View Post
Makes me just want to buy a 1M
Save the dough on the 1M, I paid $2200 for my diff with installation, and I had the car back that same afternoon. I am fortunate in that I only live 3 miles from the Diffsonline shop and he carries the wavetrac and Quaife's pre-installed into other housings. I got damn lucky with my Diff.
Dosturbos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
bluecat
First Lieutenant
 
bluecat's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

Posts: 387
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosturbos View Post
Save the dough on the 1M, I paid $2200 for my diff with installation, and I had the car back that same afternoon. I am fortunate in that I only live 3 miles from the Diffsonline shop and he carries the wavetrac and Quaife's pre-installed into other housings. I got damn lucky with my Diff.
I was reading this thinking, oh man if I only lived near this place... OH shit I must! where is this place?
bluecat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Dosturbos
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 F30 335i Msport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Medford, MA

Posts: 283
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat View Post
I was reading this thinking, oh man if I only lived near this place... OH shit I must! where is this place?
This place is located at 1034 Main Street Winchester
Just email Dan, he is totally cool, likes cash too.
I was able to schedule it quick too. I literally had my car back within 5 hours of dropping it off.
The LSD enables the car to pull harder too, very noticeably.
Dosturbos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
accessport, cobb, fun, power, woooooot

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST