BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
adobeee
Captain

Drives: slow

Exclamation Alpine V3 HIDs problem

I think this is the right section to post this topic, and I wanted to see if anyone could help me out with a problem with my Alpine V3 HID Angel Eyes 800K Bright White/Touch of Sky Blue.

The passenger side bulb has lately experienced a different color output (seems green-ish) and lower brightness. I've had no problems since purchasing in July 2011. See below for photos. It's a little hard to notice, but take at the reflection off of the Volkswagen for the best comparison.

I've also opened up the hood and is this part that connects to the passenger side bulbs supposed to look like this?

The passenger side bulb sometimes doesn't turn on at all sometimes as well. Sometimes it does. No flickering involved. I'm not sure if this problem is also related to power delivery or my car battery getting old or is it the HID set/bulb itself?

I've also requested the help of Alex@Alpine and 1speedbike provided that they're still around this forum. Thanks in advance.
adobeee is offline   United_States
      04-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Rob Daman
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 135i Vert

switch bulbs and see if the output switches too. if it switches, the bulb is the culprit. if it's the same output on the same side then it's your ballast that's the problem.
      04-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
adobeee
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Daman View Post
switch bulbs and see if the output switches too. if it switches, the bulb is the culprit. if it's the same output on the same side then it's your ballast that's the problem.
What about that glass looking tubey thingy part I posted above? I can't remember if they look the same as when I bought them new.
      04-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Rob Daman
First Lieutenant

to me it looks like a cover but i'm not sure what hid angel eyes look like. when you swap bulbs just see if they're exact
      04-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
adobeee
Captain

It turns out that the passenger side doesn't even light up now. I'm going to have to find a replacement bulb. If the ouput doesn't change, then it may be the ballast or the part that is seen above in the pic above.

Any thoughts on finding a replacement bulb? Not sure what is compatible with the alpine hid v3s.
      04-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #6
Rob Daman
First Lieutenant

like i said, swap sides and see if the issue goes with it.

sorry no idea on where to buy a bulb but getting matching pairs may be wiser so the color matches.
      04-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
MIAblu1
Private First Class

Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
It turns out that the passenger side doesn't even light up now. I'm going to have to find a replacement bulb. If the ouput doesn't change, then it may be the ballast or the part that is seen above in the pic above.

Any thoughts on finding a replacement bulb? Not sure what is compatible with the alpine hid v3s.
Im currently dealing with the same exact issues including the tube getting a clear bubble in it.... same side and all... and sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't. I lock and unlock the car a couple times to get it to kick on. Keep us updated, was getting ready to look for another nice angel eye option at this point. Also, i agree if buying a new bulb that you buy in pairs for even brightness/color
      04-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
adobeee
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAblu1 View Post
Im currently dealing with the same exact issues including the tube getting a clear bubble in it.... same side and all... and sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't. I lock and unlock the car a couple times to get it to kick on. Keep us updated, was getting ready to look for another nice angel eye option at this point. Also, i agree if buying a new bulb that you buy in pairs for even brightness/color
I met with Alex on Monday and he was kind enough to diagnose the issue. It turns out that the passenger side ballast was fine as well as the "foggy/broken" part in the picture above, and that the problem was from the bulb.

He was SUPER awesome to make a custom bulb, as he stated that Alpine MSS doesn't carry the bulbs anymore. I will be meeting with him later this afternoon so he can help install the part.

I would recommend that you buy a matching pair from another vendor to solve your issues.
      04-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #9
MIAblu1
Private First Class

Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

yea, went ahead and bought new bulbs and everything is good now....
      Today, 01:07 PM   #10
adobeee
Captain

great to see that your problem is fixed. Alex was SUPER HELPFUL and nice!!