E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > HELP, need advice: Engine grumble

11-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #1
nocturnal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

HELP, need advice: Engine grumble

Hey All,

This is my first BMW, and i don't knwo if this is normal:

I FEEL a low, grumbling (rough) feeling and sound from the engine when i am not accelerating much, for example, just coasting at 60km/h and the rpm is about 1500.

It doesn't feel right, but i don't knwo if it's normal or not because it goes away if i accelerate a bit more than just the bare minimum to maintain the 60km/h.

Also, i get the same sort of feel when i'm driving EXTREMELY slow like my granny (because the engine is cold, and i let the gears shift around 2000rpm).

I would REALLY appreaciate some input from you regarding this, if you've experienced it, or should i be putting Service on speed dial?

Thanks in advance people!
Gee
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal
Hey All,

This is my first BMW, and i don't knwo if this is normal:

I FEEL a low, grumbling (rough) feeling and sound from the engine when i am not accelerating much, for example, just coasting at 60km/h and the rpm is about 1500.

It doesn't feel right, but i don't knwo if it's normal or not because it goes away if i accelerate a bit more than just the bare minimum to maintain the 60km/h.

Also, i get the same sort of feel when i'm driving EXTREMELY slow like my granny (because the engine is cold, and i let the gears shift around 2000rpm).

I would REALLY appreaciate some input from you regarding this, if you've experienced it, or should i be putting Service on speed dial?

Thanks in advance people!
Gee
Don't think I have what you are describing, I can hear the deep tone of the exhaust and feel a little bit of vibration if I'm at low rpms such 1.5k as you mentioned, but at highway speeds I usually can't hear anything from the engine or exhaust. Keep in mind I have a manual so I tend to keep my rpm above 2k on the freeway. When in doubt, always get it checked out!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
nocturnal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

thanks Xens

On the freeway, i don't hear anything either, (it's such sweet silence!!!)
Just on the low rpms.

But you're right, i gotta take it in for service anwyays (my real estate agent broke my cup holder), i'll have them take a look at it.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 08:49 PM   #4
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Yeah this happens to me when I engage in 6th gear while travelling at 55-65km/h. I guess the revs are too low. It doesn't happen if I leave it in D mode because steptronic would engage in 5th gear instead. And at higher speeds (higher rev also), the noise goes away.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
nocturnal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

AAHH, that's what it must be.

Is it bad for the engine to leave it in low revs?? Does it put too much strain on the engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:07 PM   #6
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep

It is bad for the engine if you do this to it too much (lugging) but I am supposing the steptronic control systems knows better and will protect the engine from damage. (This is why it downshifts for you when the revs are too low)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

The lower the revs, the more economical you are in consuming gas. Of course, you don't want to lag the engine drastically in the process.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #8
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
The lower the revs, the more economical you are in consuming gas. Of course, you don't want to lag the engine drastically in the process.
I am not 100% sure about this but when you try to accelerate when you are already in the low revving region takes more gas to do so and longer compared to downshifting then accelerate. And I notice that using 6th gear when you are only 60km/h doesn't help you save gas. I tried both gears, 5th and 6th, the fuel consumption acccording to the meter is approximately the same. But in return, your car is not as responsive when trying to accelerate and it doesn't sound as good. And this should be true as the D mode should be the most economical way to drive the car. IF it choose 4th/5th gear at that speed, it should be the most economical setting.
Appreciate 0