BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
BiscottiGelato
Captain
BiscottiGelato's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GVA

iTrader: (2)

OEM Front Springs...

If the rear M-Sport springs were progressive and now linear. What are the front springs?
__________________
Ground Control Camber Plates, Ferrodo D2500 w/ Slotted Rotors, Dunlop Direzza ZII on Apex EC-7s
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
35
Rep
2,681
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (1)

This question and statement confuses me...if you are trying to ask if the front springs are also linear, then yes they are. Front and rear are match with linear and progressive on their respective years. Not a good idea to mix and match.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #3
BiscottiGelato
Captain
BiscottiGelato's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GVA

iTrader: (2)

I thought I read this somewhere that only the rear springs were changed on the 2011+ to linear springs. I must've been mistaken. Thanks!
__________________
Ground Control Camber Plates, Ferrodo D2500 w/ Slotted Rotors, Dunlop Direzza ZII on Apex EC-7s
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
24
Rep
2,089
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
This is what you read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yes, but only for the rear springs from what I remember.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,663
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
I thought I read this somewhere that only the rear springs were changed on the 2011+ to linear springs. I must've been mistaken. Thanks!

+1, that is my understanding too!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
1Pirate
Captain
1Pirate's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
603
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, NC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
This question and statement confuses me...if you are trying to ask if the front springs are also linear, then yes they are. Front and rear are match with linear and progressive on their respective years. Not a good idea to mix and match.
I know for certain that the 2011 rear springs are different than the 2009 rear springs that came on my car, but to be honest the 2009 and 2011 front springs looked virtually indentical. However, that being said your point seems logical to me. I can't imagine why a car manufacturer would put progressive springs on the front and linear springs on the rear of the same vehicle when the compression characteristics of each are different. It seems to me that doing so would upset the balance of the car and how the car reacts to the road.
__________________
2009 BMW LeMans Blue 135i/Dinan Stage 2 tune/Alufelgen SF-71s/M3 suspension components/Koni Sport adjustable dampers/ETS FMIC/M3 paddle shifters/Alpina B3 TCU flash
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
BiscottiGelato
Captain
BiscottiGelato's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GVA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pirate View Post
I know for certain that the 2011 rear springs are different than the 2009 rear springs that came on my car, but to be honest the 2009 and 2011 front springs looked virtually indentical. However, that being said your point seems logical to me. I can't imagine why a car manufacturer would put progressive springs on the front and linear springs on the rear of the same vehicle when the compression characteristics of each are different. It seems to me that doing so would upset the balance of the car and how the car reacts to the road.
That's exactly what was going on in my head, and hence I was trying to confirm. I guess the way to find out is to look-up part number for the front and rear springs for pre-2011 and the front and rear springs for 2011+
__________________
Ground Control Camber Plates, Ferrodo D2500 w/ Slotted Rotors, Dunlop Direzza ZII on Apex EC-7s
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
1Pirate
Captain
1Pirate's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
603
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Greenville, NC

iTrader: (2)

Just for clarafication I have 2011 M sport springs on my car. I swithced to the 2011 M Sport springs when I replaced my stock dampers with Koni Sport dampers. One of the main reasons I went with the 2011 springs is because they were linear rather than the progressive springs that came on my car.
__________________
2009 BMW LeMans Blue 135i/Dinan Stage 2 tune/Alufelgen SF-71s/M3 suspension components/Koni Sport adjustable dampers/ETS FMIC/M3 paddle shifters/Alpina B3 TCU flash
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
BiscottiGelato
Captain
BiscottiGelato's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GVA

iTrader: (2)

Real OEM doesn't have part number for the springs on the 135i, 09 or 2012 model year. So can't really verify whether it's the same front springs, but only different rear springs.
__________________
Ground Control Camber Plates, Ferrodo D2500 w/ Slotted Rotors, Dunlop Direzza ZII on Apex EC-7s
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST