BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #1
Kizzu
Second Lieutenant
Malta
Rep
Drives: Bmw 125i Black Sapphire

335i front brake conversion

First of all happy new year
This month I will be installing the front calipers of a 335i with dba rotors and hawk pads on my 1. The conversion is quite straight forward as I read on other threads so I will be doing it myself. Things is, will I need to have the brakes coded as performance or leave it as is?
Thanks

UPDATE:
today the discs and pads arrived the calipers will get powder coated the following week and hopefully by the end of this month I will have them fitted

FINAL UPDATE:
so tooday I installed the front brakes FINALLY. the swap was very straight forward but on stock 261's the fitment is tight, like really tight (less than an inch from caliper to wheel). didn't quite had the chance to make use of them properly as I only ran them in this afternoon BUT I already noted an improvement in stopping distance (maybe because of the fact that I had been running on faded brakes these last 2 weeks or so).
The bad bits till now... hawk pads are really dusty AND squeaky but maybe that's due to the fact that I forgot to put brake paste between the piston and the pad.

For those of you who want to know weight gains/losses I have some data that I weighed but Don't have the weight of the original caliper yet.
335i calipers weigh around 3kg while the dba discs weigh round 11kg.
125i calipers were not weighed yet while the discs weigh round 8.5kg.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kizzu; 03-04-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
HeelToe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [4.50]
2006 330i  [4.50]
2014 X1 2.8i xDrive  [0.00]
2000 323Ci  [3.00]
Keep us up to date on this. I did this conversion on my 330 with great success and have been thinking about doing it on my 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Kizzu
Second Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
Keep us up to date on this. I did this conversion on my 330 with great success and have been thinking about doing it on my 1.
hopefully I'll have the same results as you did regarding software, did you make any coding for them to work properly or just plug and play?
      01-01-2015, 02:32 PM   #4
HeelToe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [4.50]
2006 330i  [4.50]
2014 X1 2.8i xDrive  [0.00]
2000 323Ci  [3.00]
Plug and play. No recoding.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Kizzu
Second Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

just recieved them today pictures couldn't upload here so I uploaded them on the thread
      02-01-2015, 05:27 AM   #6
Fidiman
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
Very interested in your feedback, man ...

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #7
Kizzu
Second Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman View Post
Very interested in your feedback, man ...
will do I just soda blasted the calipers and painting is under way so hopefully they will be installed by the end of next week
Attached Images

02-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #8
Suprgnat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT Slicktop

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzu View Post
will do I just soda blasted the calipers and painting is under way so hopefully they will be installed by the end of next week
I'm not too far behind you! Just finished bead blasting everything and am waiting for my Alodine to show up before I get them powder coated. I'm doing a phosphoric acid etch on the brackets and calipers first, followed by the Alodine on the calipers (chromate conversion coating for paint adhesion to aluminum), then the powder coating. I still haven't bought rotors, yet. Going to get P/N 34116782593 "Brake rotor, light blue, ventilated" from the E89 Z4 35is, but with travel for work and all I think I'm still a month out before I can complete the install.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
TUN3D
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Kizzu & Suprgnat > Looks pretty cool. My pads and rotors are about to go. Why did you guys decide to go with the 335 conversion/calipers? Did you change the size of the rotors?
      02-03-2015, 04:08 PM   #10
Suprgnat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUN3D View Post
Kizzu & Suprgnat > Looks pretty cool. My pads and rotors are about to go. Why did you guys decide to go with the 335 conversion/calipers? Did you change the size of the rotors?
1. I'm cheap. Not as expensive as a "true" big brake kit but a step up from the BMW Performance brakes and stock brakes. (348 x 30 rotor and 57mm piston vs. 338 x 26 rotors and 55.7mm (equiv.) piston vs. 300 x 24 and a 54mm piston.
2. Z4 35is brakes are a huge step up in terms of thermal capacity compared to the stock 128i brakes. 348 x 30 and 10.18kg (10.91kg for the 335i with steel hats) vs. 300 x 24 and 8.06kg.
3. The 35is calipers actually weigh less than the 128i calipers do, with the 35is mounting brackets weighing about 0.34kg more.
4. Even with the bigger rotors, using the "lightweight" rotors from the Z4 the un-sprung mass is negligibly more than the performance brakes and around 5.4 pounds more than the stock 128i set-up (almost all rotor). I ditched the RFTs the day after I bought the car, so the net change in un-sprung mass from stock will be almost nil. (certainly rotational inertia will go up with the beefier rotors).
5. RB offers a floating rotor if I need or want.
6. The basic caliper design is the same as the M3, so not too bad for dual duty.
7. I also have 42mm rear calipers waiting in the wings which will get me somewhere between the 335i and the 130i in terms of sizing and shouldn't make things too wonky.
8. It's a fun project, far more involved than just bolting something on.

* weight from http://bmwetk.info/parts (similar to realoem, but have weights!)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
Kizzu
Second Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUN3D View Post
like Suprgnat said it's relatively cheap.. I mean the calipers the whole set of rotors calipers and pads cost me 700euros without blasting and painting. having a larger diameter rotor will increase heat dissipation more easily. another upgrade on the 128i/125i though is by buying the 130i rotors and carriers which should increase the diamter from 300mm to 330mm.
      02-04-2015, 05:33 AM   #12
Fidiman
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [0.00]
TUN3D if you do the conversion, I would really be interested in your review, cause I'm trying to decide toward the Performance kit and these 335i brakes.

I'm trying to find the correct rotors for my car in 348x30, but that's not easy to find the light ones !

The same for the brake pads ... So sad Pagid does not do the RS29 for the 335i brakes, neither for the 1M/M3 ...

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #13
raposka
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i, 6MT, LSD, DISA

Hello, fellas. I have also begun a project of upgrading to the 335i calipers. I purchased a set of used calipers from Ebay for $120, along with new anti-rattle clips, dust seals, and brass caliper pin guides. Once I have cleaned them up, I will paint them BMW Phoenix Yellow. I plan to buy a new set of the Z4 35is rotors. I already had a pair of the larger 42mm rear calipers that I had bought and painted Phoenix Yellow about a year ago, anticipating that I would do the front upgrade sometime soon. Since I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and we will have snow on the ground through May, I am in no rush.

I have been wondering about re-coding for the "performance brakes" however. I have the BMWhat App, and I contacted the person who does the coding for this App in Germany. He told me that he currently does not have plans to add this feature to the BMWhat App until he gets more requests for it. If you want, you can email him and let him know that you are interested. The cost of this app, along with the Wifi adapter, is still much cheaper than going to a dealer.

Here is his email address: coding@ivini-apps.com
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #14
Suprgnat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raposka View Post
Hello, fellas. I have also begun a project of upgrading to the 335i calipers. I purchased a set of used calipers from Ebay for $120, along with new anti-rattle clips, dust seals, and brass caliper pin guides. Once I have cleaned them up, I will paint them BMW Phoenix Yellow. I plan to buy a new set of the Z4 35is rotors. I already had a pair of the larger 42mm rear calipers that I had bought and painted Phoenix Yellow about a year ago, anticipating that I would do the front upgrade sometime soon. Since I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and we will have snow on the ground through May, I am in no rush.

I have been wondering about re-coding for the "performance brakes" however. I have the BMWhat App, and I contacted the person who does the coding for this App in Germany. He told me that he currently does not have plans to add this feature to the BMWhat App until he gets more requests for it. If you want, you can email him and let him know that you are interested. The cost of this app, along with the Wifi adapter, is still much cheaper than going to a dealer.

Here is his email address: coding@ivini-apps.com
I have the exact same set-up, just waiting for the rotors to arrive and a free moment to get the calipers to the powder coater. I've been wondering about the coding myself, and will add my voice to the BMWhat feature request.

Last edited by Suprgnat; 02-17-2015 at 12:26 PM. Reason: poor English
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:14 PM   #15
Suprgnat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
I have the exact same set-up, just waiting for the rotors to arrive and a free moment to get the calipers to the powder coater. I've been wondering about the coding myself, and will add my voice to the BMWhat feature request.
Arian says he now has 2 requests, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:38 PM   #16
ApexResistance
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 12' ///MSport 135i SGM 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I know the stock 6 piston calipers on the 135i have there weaknesses, but i don't understand the move to a free floating style caliper. If its superior to the fixed, 6 piston design, why don't big brake kits come with free floating calipers? Also, if larger rotors are the point here, why don't we just make an adapter to space the stock caliper out, an run a larger diameter rotor? As far as the stock pistons falling apart with heat, there are upgraded pistons.

( I do understand the Rotors are bigger and that helps with cooling, that part makes sense)
2012 SGM 135i ///MSport 6MT JB4 G5 ISO w/E85, VRSF CP, Megan Racing DP, BMWP Rotors, EBC Yellow Pads, BMS SS Brake Lines, Super Blue Fluid, M3 RSFB, M3 FSB, Eibach PK springs, Eibach PK dampers, Vorschlag CamPlate, #inkedexhaust custom, Dinna SSK, ZHP Knob, M3 Seats, Sparco Harness,UUC Trans Mounts, CDV delete, 245/255-35 MPSS, Bremmer BR05 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #17
Suprgnat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooningB2G View Post
I know the stock 6 piston calipers on the 135i have there weaknesses, but i don't understand the move to a free floating style caliper. If its superior to the fixed, 6 piston design, why don't big brake kits come with free floating calipers? Also, if larger rotors are the point here, why don't we just make an adapter to space the stock caliper out, an run a larger diameter rotor? As far as the stock pistons falling apart with heat, there are upgraded pistons.

( I do understand the Rotors are bigger and that helps with cooling, that part makes sense)
I'm not saying it's superior at all, just an intermediate upgrade between stock and a "real" big brake kit at a very reasonable price point. BMW does not offer the Performance Brakes as an upgrade for the 335i as it is not. Also, the 335i calipers are of the same design as the M3/1M and thus more rigid than the stock floaters. I, too, have ponyed up for the brass guide pins for (hopefully) better feel, modulation and wear. If I had a 135 I'd probably start by looking at the stainless piston options, but I don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:20 PM   #18
ApexResistance
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 12' ///MSport 135i SGM 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
I'm not saying it's superior at all, just an intermediate upgrade between stock and a "real" big brake kit at a very reasonable price point. BMW does not offer the Performance Brakes as an upgrade for the 335i as it is not. Also, the 335i calipers are of the same design as the M3/1M and thus more rigid than the stock floaters. I, too, have ponyed up for the brass guide pins for (hopefully) better feel, modulation and wear. If I had a 135 I'd probably start by looking at the stainless piston options, but I don't.
I wasn't specifically asking about your reasons, more a general question. Why do ///M cars come with floating calipers? Stock M3 brakes are known as "Soft" and "Squishy" feeling. And I know the 335i brake upgrade for the 128i is the way to go.
2012 SGM 135i ///MSport 6MT JB4 G5 ISO w/E85, VRSF CP, Megan Racing DP, BMWP Rotors, EBC Yellow Pads, BMS SS Brake Lines, Super Blue Fluid, M3 RSFB, M3 FSB, Eibach PK springs, Eibach PK dampers, Vorschlag CamPlate, #inkedexhaust custom, Dinna SSK, ZHP Knob, M3 Seats, Sparco Harness,UUC Trans Mounts, CDV delete, 245/255-35 MPSS, Bremmer BR05 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #19
Kizzu
Second Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooningB2G View Post

there can be a caliper carrier that increses the rotor diameter to 330mm from the 130i brakes and keeping the same caliper but this is an overall improvement compared to the 130i carrier upgrade as the rotor is increased to 348mm and the caliper is made out of aluminium instead of steel which makes it lighter. although I still think that with the 125/128i brake ducts the 6 piston caliper from the 135i is better than this, I don't want to take risks buying something knowing that it is more prone to being damaged and further more, more expensive thus I found this as a compromise between both
      02-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #20
raposka
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i, 6MT, LSD, DISA

The reason I painted the 42mm rear calipers Phoenix Yellow was to match the BMW BBK fronts. However, I just kept on debating over the year whether it was really worth the money or not. I originally bought the rear calipers used on Ebay for $80, plus the cost of new seals ~$12, brass guides ~$50, new anti-rattle clip ~$10, and the paint from G2USA for $100.

I thought about spending ~$1600 on the performance BBK, but I would want to spend another $500 on the upgraded pistons from Turner Motorsports. Instead, I kept my eyes open on Ebay and found a pair of 335i calipers for $120. Again, I will spend the same on brass guides, seals, clips, and paint. So, in the end, I will spend roughly $1000 on better brakes once I buy throw in the Z4 rotors and new pads. T

In the end, the real reason is that it gives me a project to do and was a lot of fun! I know the arguments back and forth about which setup is better. I am happy so far, and I think they will look cool when finished. I will be sure to post some photos then. With the snow we have in the UP, I still have a few more months to fool around in my shop! Cheers!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2015, 11:07 PM   #21
Suprgnat
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raposka View Post
In the end, the real reason is that it gives me a project to do and was a lot of fun! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
Kizzu
Second Lieutenant
Malta
Rep

thread updated ! sorry for the bad write up to picture linkage but couldn't manage to sort them out properly