BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
98
Rep
3,359
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation Warranty: BMW replaces free of charge 1M front fender liners (rubbing issue)

We all experienced that, also with the stock 19" rims and tires (359 M Y-spoke Competition + PS2) at recommended tire pressure, clearance between front tires and front fender liners is a close call.

Apparently some 1M owners complained about rubbing issues with the stock 270M 18" winter set-up offered by BMW (especially front right when full lock to the left): unsafe encounters between tire and line fender, too close for comfort (safety and tire longevity issue).

A German 1M forum reported that BMW apparently addressed the issue and now replaces - upon customer's request and free of charge - the front fender liners. No official product recall, though: you gotta ask for it and the dealership will take care of it (reference is made to a BMW letter, however no copy has surfaced yet). Part numbers remained unchanged:
  • front left = part# 51 71 8 051 591
  • front right = part# 51 71 8 051 592
(http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...fe-108152.html).

Name:  WheelHousing.jpg
Views: 2755
Size:  28.4 KB
(source of the diagram: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...61&hg=51&fg=70)

Maybe BMW did not change the fender liners design but rather optimized the way these are fitted inside the wheel fender (closer to the cooler, to create more wheel clearance) ? Anyways, those with replaced fender liners reported that the rubbing issue has been resolved or at least reduced.

Anyone outside Germany heard about this warranty issue and/or got the front fender liners replaced in the meantime ? BMW seems to take this matter seriously, which we all should appreciate of course.

The BMW PuMA case reference is 49636119-01. With this reference any BMW dealership can retrieve info about this issue, as reported by BMW.
("PuMA" ("Problem und Maßnahmenmanagement Aftersales" = "Problem and Measures management Aftersales") is a worldwide BMW database of all reported problems and most with the their appropriate fixes. It's BMW's online technical hotline for dealers. Info is considered to be confidential. If an issue is not reported yet, the dealer fills out a form for submittal to BMW's technical gurus and subsequently they send back a response outlining what BMW wants the dealer to do to fix the car. Sometimes it's "replace such-and-such" and sometimes they ask for more diagnostic info).

Generally speaking: re product recall, we may reasonably assume that BMW will be extra cautious: two months ago it was announced in the press that BMWNA will pay a $3 million fine to settle US government allegations that it failed to promptly notify auto regulators about safety defects and recalls. "While BMW denies that it violated federal law, it agreed to make internal changes to its recall decision-making process in order to «ensure timely reporting to consumers and the federal government in the future.»"
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...t-reports.html
http://business.inquirer.net/44115/b...-recall-issues
http://gulfnews.com/business/automot...-fine-1.979223

Name:  Fenderliners.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  125.7 KB
(picture source: http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...ml#post1291989)
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)

Last edited by Artemis; 08-15-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added diagram + PuMA case reference
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #2
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
690
Rep
16,675
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Humm... very interesting Artemis. Thanks for posting this.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
EINSER M
Major General
EINSER M's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
5,368
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 34.1064° N, 117.5922° W, 300m altitude

iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
yes! thanx for bringing that up to our attention thank you!
__________________
THE EINSER M BUILD
CLICK HERE: EINSER M BUILD

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
98
Rep
3,359
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Same German 1M forum reported already since November 2011 about the fender liner issue (logical: fitting winter tires with the Winter weather approaching - first Winter season for the 1M) and replacement under warranty by BMW since February 2012:
  • http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...-67841-15.html ("Bei Verschränkung und Volleinschlag schleifen sie sogar vorne auf der Außenseite im Radkasten. Es ist alles orginal" - "Also ich hab vorne 245/35 R19 drauf und die schleifen auch" - "Also ich musste mit den linken Hinterrad auf ne Rampe fahren dann dann voll links einschlagen. Die Außenseite des vorderen rechten Rades stand dann am Plastik an. Müsst man nochma schaun ob das am verschränken lag, praktisch isses ja kein Problem, aber hinterläßt nen faden beigeschmack" - "Ich habe das Problem auch mit der Original 270M Felge und 235er original Bereifung. Das Problem habe Ich nur rechts vorne. (Ich habe aber KW V3)" - "Keine Ahnung warum der Mist anschleift, scheinbar ist auf den Winterreifen so viel mehr Profil drauf, dass das nicht mehr passt");
  • http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...ung-95010.html ("Bei starkem einschlagen des Lenkrads streift vorallem vorn rechts der Reifen die Plastikabdeckung des Radkastens");
  • http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...g-95010-3.html ("Bei meinem sind jetzt auch die Innenradhäuser erneuert worden. Da gibts wohl einen PUMA-Fall Zwecks Erneuerung der Dinger" - "gestern wurden die Radkastenabdeckungen ausgewechselt... Resultat: Reifen streift immer noch ! Wir geben ihnen wieder bescheid, mir müssen dies nochmals mit BMW CH klären. Das sollten die schon bereits seit Oktober !!").
Conclusion from the couple of German quotes: seems to be no 'stand alone' problem if you got the stock 270M 18" winter set-up offered by BMW. Cannot be a coincidence that a few members with the same 1M winter set-up experience exactly the same problem + the finding that BMW is agreeable to replace the front fender liners under warranty (free of charge) at first request.
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
1MCoupe
Private
Sweden
0
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupé
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

I have experienced this very problem with my winter tires mounted on the 270M. Previous to the usage of the winter rims I did not experience any rubbing with the original wheel/tire set up. HOWEVER after going back to the summer tires I experience a slight rubbing. This could be due to the winter tires damaging the fender liners and thus they now have even less clearance. I will talk to my dealer and let him know that this is a general problem and that BMW has agreed to replace the liners.

Thanks for posting this Artemis!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
690
Rep
16,675
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

So... to be clear there is no improved part... just that dealers are replacing the damamge fender liner(with the same part) and installinng them to clear the tires mounted on the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
98
Rep
3,359
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MCoupe View Post
I will talk to my dealer and let him know that this is a general problem and that BMW has agreed to replace the liners.
From what I read on the German forum, most BMW dealerships don't know about this 1M issue, check their computer for upgrades and then reply that there is no known problem. Then you got to insist to request the dealership to enquire BMW. Subsequently the dealership will contact you again with the message that, indeed, according to BMW HQ instructions the front fender liners will be replaced under warranty. As indicated above, some letter of BMW HQ apparently exists addressing this issue. Emphasize that it's a safety issue - you don't want no accident (tire damage - fender liner part loosening).

"Die Innenradkästen wurden bei uns auch getauscht. Der Händler hatte uns diesbezüglich angesprochen. Jetzt schleift der Original Winterradsatz jedenfalls nicht mehr !" - "Also geht auf jedenfall über Garantie lass dir nichts erzählen. Es existiert ein Schreiben bei BMW über die Innenradkästen !" - "Mein Händler hat auch gesagt es laufe über die Garantie" - "Bei mir auch vor ca 3 Wochen Austausch auf Garantie" - "War gestern bei der 2000er Inspektion. Dabei wurden die Radläufe gewechselt" - "Da wurde mir ohne Nachfragen mitgeteilt, dass die vorderen Radhausschalen getauscht werden sollen. Info von BMW. Auf Nachfrage warum war die Antwort war in etwa.....Schleifen der Vorderräder an der Radhausschale mit eingeschlagenen Rädern beim rückwärts fahren" - "Neue Radkasten sind verbaut haben aber die gleiche Teilenummer wie die alten. Also die Räder schleifen noch ganz minim kein vergleich zu vorher aber sie schleifen".
http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...fe-108152.html

Someone reported that, regarding the front fender liners, BMW probably modified its 1M production at the Leipzig plant. This would then be the explantion for the finding that part numbers have not been changed (so more recent 1Ms might already feature the modified fender liners set-up and, hence, will not experience the issue).

"Er [dealer] hat sich das angeguckt und auch gesehen und dann im PC nachgeschaut ob es eine Serienstandsverbesserung gibt. Gab/Gib es nicht also können sie auch nix machen" - "Hat mein [dealer] auch gesagt und danach hab ich ihne gebeten sich zu informieren.... 1/2Tag später eine Anruf vom [dealer] ja es gibt auf Beanstandung seitens der Kunden austausch Radkästen! Die werden angeblich von den original Radkästen modifiziert im Werk daher evtl. keine separaten Teilenummer. [Dealer] kanns mir nur so erklären."
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
Papethova
Brigadier General
Papethova's Avatar
65
Rep
3,038
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

iTrader: (1)

Anyone in the US gotten the replacements?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #9
EINSER M
Major General
EINSER M's Avatar
United_States
92
Rep
5,368
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 34.1064° N, 117.5922° W, 300m altitude

iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Anyone in the US gotten the replacements?
go check tomorow paps!
__________________
THE EINSER M BUILD
CLICK HERE: EINSER M BUILD

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
kabalm18's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
613
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: My House

iTrader: (0)

I am glad you posted this. I was looking at the liner a couple of days ago and noticed that an area of the vent part looked to be molded to give room for the tire to squeeze in. I couldn't tell if it was shaped like that by design or if it was caused by rubbing.(I am on the stock suspension and tires.). Now I think I have the modified wheel well liner. Cool.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
kabalm18's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
613
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi
Join Date: May 2008
Location: My House

iTrader: (0)

BTW...September build.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #12
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
17
Rep
1,226
Posts

 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
From what I read on the German forum, most BMW dealerships don't know about this 1M issue, check their computer for upgrades and then reply that there is no known problem. Then you got to insist to request the dealership to enquire BMW. Subsequently the dealership will contact you again with the message that, indeed, according to BMW HQ instructions the front fender liners will be replaced under warranty. As indicated above, some letter of BMW HQ apparently exists addressing this issue. Emphasize that it's a safety issue - you don't want no accident (tire damage - fender liner part loosening).

"Die Innenradkästen wurden bei uns auch getauscht. Der Händler hatte uns diesbezüglich angesprochen. Jetzt schleift der Original Winterradsatz jedenfalls nicht mehr !" - "Also geht auf jedenfall über Garantie lass dir nichts erzählen. Es existiert ein Schreiben bei BMW über die Innenradkästen !" - "Mein Händler hat auch gesagt es laufe über die Garantie" - "Bei mir auch vor ca 3 Wochen Austausch auf Garantie" - "War gestern bei der 2000er Inspektion. Dabei wurden die Radläufe gewechselt" - "Da wurde mir ohne Nachfragen mitgeteilt, dass die vorderen Radhausschalen getauscht werden sollen. Info von BMW. Auf Nachfrage warum war die Antwort war in etwa.....Schleifen der Vorderräder an der Radhausschale mit eingeschlagenen Rädern beim rückwärts fahren" - "Neue Radkasten sind verbaut haben aber die gleiche Teilenummer wie die alten. Also die Räder schleifen noch ganz minim kein vergleich zu vorher aber sie schleifen".
http://www.1erforum.de/bmw-1er-m-cou...fe-108152.html

Someone reported that, regarding the front fender liners, BMW probably modified its 1M production at the Leipzig plant. This would then be the explantion for the finding that part numbers have not been changed (so more recent 1Ms might already feature the modified fender liners set-up and, hence, will not experience the issue).

"Er [dealer] hat sich das angeguckt und auch gesehen und dann im PC nachgeschaut ob es eine Serienstandsverbesserung gibt. Gab/Gib es nicht also können sie auch nix machen" - "Hat mein [dealer] auch gesagt und danach hab ich ihne gebeten sich zu informieren.... 1/2Tag später eine Anruf vom [dealer] ja es gibt auf Beanstandung seitens der Kunden austausch Radkästen! Die werden angeblich von den original Radkästen modifiziert im Werk daher evtl. keine separaten Teilenummer. [Dealer] kanns mir nur so erklären."
Unfortunately no indication on the new way of mounting as most report some improvement wrt the rubbing with the same new replacement wheel liner. Untill other markets have recall/warranty confirmed, this could enable those for whom it is not an issue yet to DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a Big Deal
17
Rep
1,226
Posts

 
Drives: an 1M not often enough
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: between Unlimited and Hard to Get

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
Unfortunately no indication on the new way of mounting as most report some improvement wrt the rubbing with the same new replacement wheel liner. Untill other markets have recall/warranty confirmed, this could enable those for whom it is not an issue yet to DIY.
Posted question on the german forum to get the new way of mounting clarified, let's see what they come back with.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
8
Rep
401
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 300km to the Nordschleife

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Artemis! I have my summer wheels back on for a week now. Had no problems with my 18" winter tyres, but when I now turn my wheel while reversing with the 19" stock setup, the right front tyre rubs.

I'll have my dealer check what the deal is.
__________________
The best piece of road - worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Papethova
Brigadier General
Papethova's Avatar
65
Rep
3,038
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabalm18 View Post
I am glad you posted this. I was looking at the liner a couple of days ago and noticed that an area of the vent part looked to be molded to give room for the tire to squeeze in. I couldn't tell if it was shaped like that by design or if it was caused by rubbing.(I am on the stock suspension and tires.). Now I think I have the modified wheel well liner. Cool.
Anyone with an older build able to confirm this same piece?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #16
Derek8819
First Lieutenant
Derek8819's Avatar
7
Rep
346
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Orleans, LA

iTrader: (4)

My 1M definetly has a notch taken out for clearance, definetly OEM and not done by the tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
robertm
Captain
11
Rep
877
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

iTrader: (0)

I saw this issue on the 1m I drove at the performance center. It rubbed the entire time I drove the car and was pretty invasive under certain conditions. They told me it was because they had different tires than stock on the front. Sounded like a hollow claim though considering these are supposed to be factory stock prepped cars. There is definitely some issue with the front right tire coming into contact with something under high load conditions or possibly large steering input. I've read others stating the same on this forum in the past.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
Papethova
Brigadier General
Papethova's Avatar
65
Rep
3,038
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I saw this issue on the 1m I drove at the performance center. It rubbed the entire time I drove the car and was pretty invasive under certain conditions.
I had the same exact experience
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #19
mattm
Lieutenant
mattm's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
501
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

My worn liners (see attached).
Attached Images
  
__________________
Matt Murray

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
98
Rep
3,359
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
My worn liners (see attached).
The shape of the notches shown on the pictures is OEM and perfectly normal, though (the ones in the middle inclined = OEM). It already indicates that BMW knew that it was a close call. However, still not enough for 100% clearance for the 270 winter set-up on most 1Ms (see also the rubbing traces on the pictures). Fender liner should be "deeper" (towards cooler) to avoid any rubbing at all.
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #21
mattm
Lieutenant
mattm's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
501
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

So you mean there is an indentation already in the liners?
__________________
Matt Murray

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Pete_vB
Captain
Pete_vB's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
843
Posts

 
Drives: '69 GT3, 1M, 912, R32
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area, Shenzhen, Oman

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
So you mean there is an indentation already in the liners?
If you're talking about deformation on the middle 3 fins then yes, that is molded in.
__________________
1M, 1969 Porsche 911 w/ 997 GT3 Cup Motor (435hp & 2,100 lbs)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST