BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
TGel15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

Blacklines Running Lights Not Working

I installed the backlines tail lights in March so they have only been on the car for a couple months. The car is a 2013 xenon headlight equipped so to my knowledge the install was plug and play. They have worked fine up until today.

Now, all functions of the tail lights are working properly except for the running lights.

The car is in for service so I'm having them take a look while they are working on it. The tech said there are no error codes being thrown for the tail lights.....interesting.

From what I have seen on here it could have been a potential water leak (yikes). Also someone mentioned the "led bars" get their power from the outer brake light so I should check the connection there.

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
TroyButler
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGel15 View Post
I installed the backlines tail lights in March so they have only been on the car for a couple months. The car is a 2013 xenon headlight equipped so to my knowledge the install was plug and play. They have worked fine up until today.

Now, all functions of the tail lights are working properly except for the running lights.

The car is in for service so I'm having them take a look while they are working on it. The tech said there are no error codes being thrown for the tail lights.....interesting.

From what I have seen on here it could have been a potential water leak (yikes). Also someone mentioned the "led bars" get their power from the outer brake light so I should check the connection there.

I posted about this exact thing in the DIY thread and have yet to have any results that have fixed it. In my case there is a clear water leak, and when its wet the running lights work. From my understanding theres a separate circuit board that powers the running lights, not connected to any bulbs. I already tried replacing all the bulbs from the old board but to no success.
      07-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #3
smrtypants44
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Mine stopped working on one side. I replaced the outer brake light bulb and made sure it was seated correctly and it started working again.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
swagon
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E82|N55|6MT

or your car is coded to not have rear DRLs
      07-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #5
TGel15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i

the dealership emailed me today and said that whoever installed them (me) had the connectors plugged in wrong and not secured (yikes). She said they removed both tail lights and "swapped them over" and plugged them in and that now they work.

Interesting because the running lights/every part of the tails worked correctly for the first three months they were on the car and I followed directions closely during the install.

I have another issue that hopefully one of you can chime in about.

So only a few weeks ago i installed the lux color adjustable angel eyes and set them to 5,000k to match the eyebrows, I made sure to velcro the lux angel eyes ballast in the proper position inside the housings because I've heard some people have issues with this additional ballast effective the adaptive headlights movement. Just the other day one of my xenon headlight ballasts failed and the BMW tech thinks that its related to the lux angel eyes being in there. The gentleman at turner motorsports told me that he doesn't believe they are related and that the headlight ballast could have just failed. The car is a 2013 so 4 years for a headlight ballast to fail is definitely premature? I am now torn with either having them keep the lux angel eyes installed (love the updated matching white light look) and potentially have it cause another ballast to short out (745$ yikes) or just have BMW switch the angel eyes back to the ugly stock yellow light.

Does anyone know if these two things are related?
Could it have been heat related? do they draw from the same power source?
ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. This has become more of a headache than I was ready for.
I have to get back to BMW about what to do by tomorrow morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i DCT

Garage List
2013 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 128i LE  [4.50]
Can't see how the two can be related simply based on the two interacting with each other. I would be more inclined to think that something was disturbed during the install. I also know the LUX modules are pretty big and may interfere with the adaptive function but not sure if it can mess with your HID connections.

I used the Phillips X-tremeVision LED's simply because the modules were much smaller (and cheaper). I installed those 4 months ago with no issues at all. The only issue is that they are 6000K which are a bit brighter than the eyebrows.

// '13 SGM 135i M-Sport DCT PPK //
Appreciate 0