BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-09-2016, 06:31 PM   #1
hynespb
Rep
Drives: 135i

need picture of trunk latch striker

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
odd request.

My trunk won't latch shut out of the blue. The actuator seems to be working fine. When i get inside the trunk it seems like the striker bar was almost pushed in somehow.

Could someone provide a pic of theirs by chance to compare to mine

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #2
Esteban
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Because I'm Driven

Will this do?
Attached Images

09-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Yeineken
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [3.88]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [5.00]
I've had this happen in the dead of winter at freezing temps a few times. Different scenario I know, however messing with the lock and unlock button for a little got it working for me.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Is the striker adjustable? Can it be moved up or down? My trunk has become more difficult to close, now requiring something approaching a firm slam.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Esteban
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
Is the striker adjustable? Can it be moved up or down? My trunk has become more difficult to close, now requiring something approaching a firm slam.
The OP's looks a little more pushed in than mine so maybe it does move after time (and use) and require some adjusting for it to work properly again. Anyone know for sure about this?
      09-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Esteban
Colonel
United_States
Rep

PS - rarely use my trunk.
      09-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

There is a way of adjusting the closure of the trunk from the hinges.

You need to start with a bolt (one on each side) that determines the panel gap on each side of the back of the trunk - the bolt sits under the hinges with a plastic cap on it. Remove the cap, adjust the bolt to see if the latch catches better. You'll need to do a few iterations because you'll want the latch to work but also the panel gaps not to be out of whack.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
There is a way of adjusting the closure of the trunk from the hinges.

You need to start with a bolt (one on each side) that determines the panel gap on each side of the back of the trunk - the bolt sits under the hinges with a plastic cap on it. Remove the cap, adjust the bolt to see if the latch catches better. You'll need to do a few iterations because you'll want the latch to work but also the panel gaps not to be out of whack.
Thanks for this input, but I have only minimal clearance between the rear deck lower edge and the top of the bumper cover. I think this bolt adjustment you detailed so nicely with pictures will only serve to raise or lower the rear deck in relation to the latch. If I raise it, it will be more difficult to close. If I lower it, it will contact the rear bumper cover when closed.

I was just wondering if the latch attached to the bottom of the trunk is adjustable up and down.

Late edit...I finally found my elusive T30 torx driver and used it to loosen the three latch fasteners. I am delighted to report that the plate is indeed adjustable and after raising the plate about 4mm, I no longer have to slam my trunk lid!

Thanks!
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.

Last edited by mackeroni; 09-14-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: update
Appreciate 2
      09-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeroni View Post
I was just wondering if the latch attached to the bottom of the trunk is adjustable up and down.

Late edit...I finally found my elusive T30 torx driver and used it to loosen the three latch fasteners. I am delighted to report that the plate is indeed adjustable and after raising the plate about 4mm, I no longer have to slam my trunk lid!
Pix or it didn't happen! ; -)

Good to hear that the latch is adjustable. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Pix or it didn't happen! ; -)

Good to hear that the latch is adjustable. Thanks!
Well...my trunk latch plate looks just like the OP's and Esteban's. I thought about taking pictures, but hey...its just loosening three T30 Torx head fasteners, raising the plate and re-tightening the fasteners, being careful to maintain a square alignment. No biggie.

Peace
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #11
hynespb
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thank you for the help all! I will try both adjustments.

The actuator seems to be working fine. When i go into my trunk and shut it from the inside, I can see it is catching, it just can't go down any further. I have had it zip tied for the time being.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hynespb View Post
Thank you for the help all! I will try both adjustments.

The actuator seems to be working fine. When i go into my trunk and shut it from the inside, I can see it is catching, it just can't go down any further. I have had it zip tied for the time being.
Did you try raising the strike plate which is fastened to the inside of your trunk? Just loosen the three T30 head screws, move the plate up a few millimeters and re-tighten the screws.

Peace
Appreciate 0