BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 128i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Carbon Fiber Intake & Exhaust

Looking for advice on finding the right intake & exhaust for my 2008 128i 6-speed coupe. This will be the first mods I do on this vehicle, so I want it clean and simple. I used K&N parts on my last car (98 prelude vtec), I loved the performance and maintenance, and ease of install.

Right now I just want a high-flow intake, preferably in Carbon fiber if avail, with the biggest filter I can fit in the available cavity. In addition, I'd like to add the new exhaust (just the muffler section, I don't want to get crazy) with carbon fiber tips. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, my Honda was very easy to work on. I have a great knowledge of the mechanics under my hood, just a bit limited on experience. I am extremely handy, however - and am confident when I do my homework first. Any advice on trying to install this intake myself? The muffler? I really would like to do the mods myself, just so i know exactly what I did, and how the car reacts as it gets accustomed to each mod.

Thank you so much, i look forward to your responses

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
Zeros and ones's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
322
Posts

 
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
cant go wrong with the BMW performance parts.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,386
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Welcome to the forum, search is your friend and e90post N52 section

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
Looking for advice on finding the right intake & exhaust for my 2008 128i 6-speed coupe. This will be the first mods I do on this vehicle, so I want it clean and simple. I used K&N parts on my last car (98 prelude vtec), I loved the performance and maintenance, and ease of install.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Intakes do not add much, cheapest option is to cut up your own airbox. Cut out the Charcoal filter at the very least & use a K&N drop in filter.
use the money you save on performance parts for the suspention, like e92 or e93 m3 sway bar or coils/springs

Exhuast you want is Magnaflow or BMW PE for 128i, no carbon tips though


Quote:
Any advice on trying to install this intake myself? The muffler? I really would like to do the mods myself, just so i know exactly what I did, and how the car reacts as it gets accustomed to each mod.
intake yes
exhaust, you will need a lift, exhaust clamp which comes with PE (maybe magnaflow) and time
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
urbanjunglist
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 128i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Thanks much for the insight. Been shopping a bit online and see some great stuff from Dinan & Magnaflow. It seems K&N doesn't make the intake assembly for the 128 (though of course the cone filter is avail)

So, this is absolutely sick, though is a completely foreign (and a bit intimidating) configuration for me. If I can add +14hp & +16ft-lbs for $1299... it seems that this might be a better buy, adding +12hp & +11ft=lbs for $500. I tend not to like to half-ass things though... and that carbon fiber cold air is really calling my name. Where exactly is air pulled in on this assembly?

Anyone have advice on pros/cons of either of these? What would you recommend? Also, I've seen a simple short-arm intake online somewhere, from the manifold just out to where the cone filter would hang in the cavity where my current stock intake is. Looked great - raw, simple.

Any other advice, suggestions for a specific config?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,386
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanjunglist View Post
Thanks much for the insight. Been shopping a bit online and see some great stuff from Dinan & Magnaflow. It seems K&N doesn't make the intake assembly for the 128 (though of course the cone filter is avail)
check e90 post for the K&N drop in
The cone filter can be fabbed in the current intake, if u go the cut up route
Quote:
So, this is absolutely sick, though is a completely foreign (and a bit intimidating) configuration for me. If I can add +14hp & +16ft-lbs for $1299... it seems that this might be a better buy, adding +12hp & +11ft=lbs for $500. I tend not to like to half-ass things though... and that carbon fiber cold air is really calling my name. Where exactly is air pulled in on this assembly?
I think you are trying to reinvent the wheel.
Option 1 is for 135i with software tune included(?)
Option 2, we may not even have space, Dinnan for n52 e90 has a side vent intake add on pie to stock airbox for NA n52, but we may have no space. Secondly the closed box air intakes seem to work best for n52. Eg gruppeM carbon (rare), euro box, AFE stage 2, Simota ( spelling?)

If you can fab up a simple $100 air intake solution, please share with us more info.
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST