BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #45
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
358
Rep
3,038
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
Sorry I thought we were talking about "Some have the 'sense of entitlement' that they can take what does not belong to them and others value material things more then human life"
We are talking about a guy who is willing to shoot someone dead with a concealed handgun for taking his car...not a bunch of hooligans fuelled by booze and the crowd to burn cars, break windows, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #46
infinitekid2002
Creepin while ya sleepin
infinitekid2002's Avatar
United_States
402
Rep
3,947
Posts

Drives: irresponsibly
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.71]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
We are talking about a guy who is willing to shoot someone dead with a concealed handgun for taking his car...not a bunch of hooligans fuelled by booze and the crowd to burn cars, break windows, etc.
calm down..it's called the internet
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #47
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
358
Rep
3,038
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
give them guns and see what happens...

understand, i'm not trying to get in the middle of the argument (you guys are doing just fine on your own), but you did generalize and that's bound to irritate someone. every system has their inherent problems, but as americans we view guns as a right because without them there would have been no revolution and we would still be part of the british empire. different topic for a different forum...but that's my .02 view of the comment.
Maybe my generalization was a bit off and I apologize for it hoverer it does strike that in this day and age america is the only 'civilized' country where people feel the need to cary a gun. Being an outsider I don't get it, does it make for a better place knowing everyone is armed?

And look guys, before everyone starts talking about liberal this and socialist that, I am one of those rare Canadians who does own guns...shotguns, rifles, and a few pistols including a Glock 22. I just don't feel the need to cary them around with me when I go to the grocery store. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #48
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
b33g33's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
1,320
Posts

Drives: Einser Rex
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Maybe my generalization was a bit off and I apologize for it hoverer it does strike that in this day and age america is the only 'civilized' country where people feel the need to cary a gun. Being an outsider I don't get it, does it make for a better place knowing everyone is armed?

And look guys, before everyone starts talking about liberal this and socialist that, I am one of those rare Canadians who does own guns...shotguns, rifles, and a few pistols including a Glock 22. I just don't feel the need to cary them around with me when I go to the grocery store. ;-)
FWIW, I believe that most American gun owners who are educated, professional and not batshit crazy are the same way.

I have several good friends who are gun enthusiasts. One of them is also in law enforcement so he has a very impressive firearms collection that he keeps carefully locked up in a custom safe and only takes out when he goes to the range or is on active duty.

I have never heard him even jokingly talk about shooting people.

I think the situation is similar to street racers who constantly mouth off about their achievements on the road and the pros and semi-pros who keep quiet unless they have something useful to contribute.
__________________
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #49
v1k0d3n
Captain
v1k0d3n's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
959
Posts

Drives: GLA45 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Maybe my generalization was a bit off and I apologize for it hoverer it does strike that in this day and age america is the only 'civilized' country where people feel the need to cary a gun. Being an outsider I don't get it, does it make for a better place knowing everyone is armed?

And look guys, before everyone starts talking about liberal this and socialist that, I am one of those rare Canadians who does own guns...shotguns, rifles, and a few pistols including a Glock 22. I just don't feel the need to cary them around with me when I go to the grocery store. ;-)
Let me give a good reason:
(and this is coming from someone who does not have a permit to carry, but has thought about it).

take the senario that happened in norway, give everyone of those people a permit and a gun (which btw, most states require training of some sort), and there's no way that 80+ people would have died. save just one life from that a-hole of a moster (whom also plead NOT GUILTY and claimed that god told him to do it)...and it would have served it's purpose. that's why the constitutional amendment is there for the US. you don't have to get it; our systems are different (neither being perfect). yes, people are idiots, and use that right incorrectly, but there are a greater majority that use it properly. hope that solves this discussion? moving on...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #50
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
b33g33's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
1,320
Posts

Drives: Einser Rex
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
Let me give a good reason:
(and this is coming from someone who does not have a permit to carry, but has thought about it).

take the senario that happened in norway, give everyone of those people a permit and a gun (which btw, most states require training of some sort), and there's no way that 80+ people would have died. save just one life from that a-hole of a moster (whom also plead NOT GUILTY and claimed that god told him to do it)...and it would have served it's purpose. that's why the constitutional amendment is there for the US. you don't have to get it; our systems are different (neither being perfect). yes, people are idiots, and use that right incorrectly, but there are a greater majority that use it properly. hope that solves this discussion? moving on...
The counter argument would be the numerous shooting rampages across various US states where gun ownership does not seem to have made any difference.

I wonder how many people would be massacred if the guy only had a knife?
__________________
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #51
evolution80
Captain
evolution80's Avatar
Austria
96
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: M3 F80 silverstone
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: austria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
comparing the two alarm systems is like comparing apples and oranges. that's not even fair.

I am sure you can get an aftermarket, exterior motion sensing alarm for the car as well.

bottom line though, is that a professional can defeat the car alarm, and professional can ALSO defeat your HOME alarm, probably just as easily.
i would like some sort of aftermarket alarm - but i dont want to remove panels and stuff for the installation... but a pager alarm would be cool

the house where they broke in this morning and stole the M5 and the Panamera was also protected by some home alarm system and a 7ft high wall around the property

- they managed to get into the house, get the car keys and drive away...

so you might be right
__________________
if you're cast on thin ice, you may as well dance

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #52
comar1979
130i Treiber
comar1979's Avatar
Germany
73
Rep
1,434
Posts

Drives: BMW 130i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Munich,Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Man...that really suck's . That One big uncomfy Situation :/
__________________
# BMW 130i /// + SPARCO Assetto Gara 8x18 bronze + KW + PP SteeringWheel II +PP Exhaust +PP Kidneys + PP AirFilter + PP Style Flaps + PP SS Kit + AC-Schnitzer Gear Knob + MorVision Diffusor + LCI Blacklines high + GroundZero-Audio #
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Major General
M3 Adjuster's Avatar
United_States
3154
Rep
9,264
Posts

Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
i would like some sort of aftermarket alarm - but i dont want to remove panels and stuff for the installation... but a pager alarm would be cool

the house where they broke in this morning and stole the M5 and the Panamera was also protected by some home alarm system and a 7ft high wall around the property

- they managed to get into the house, get the car keys and drive away...

so you might be right

wow ... yes,.. that really stinks... they could load home valuables into the vehicle in the garage and pull out of the garage with the vehicle like they live there. ouch.
__________________
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter Ex-president (retired 2017) , Chief Driving Instructor - LIFETIME Member # 119366
If you don't STAND for something.. you'll FALL for anything
Past: 1991 BMW E30 M3 street car ; 1988 BMW E30 M3 track car
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #54
Tony135
Lieutenant Colonel
Tony135's Avatar
130
Rep
1,513
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Damn! Glad you were able to prevent this.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #55
evolution80
Captain
evolution80's Avatar
Austria
96
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: M3 F80 silverstone
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: austria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
has anyone experience with aftermarket pager alarm systems? clifford, viper etc. are they any good?

the only thing i find when looking for infos or videos about this systems is how cool the remote start feature is
__________________
if you're cast on thin ice, you may as well dance

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #56
Shost
First Lieutenant
Shost's Avatar
10
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: 1M Coupe BSM
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Essex

iTrader: (0)

Woke this morning to my car alarm going off. My fears were confirmed, bloody neighbours cat jumped on bonnet. Looks like it's created more work for my detailer too. The little bastard will get a swift boot next time I see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #57
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
79
Rep
3,073
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Woke this morning to my car alarm going off. My fears were confirmed, bloody neighbours cat jumped on bonnet. Looks like it's created more work for my detailer too. The little bastard will get a swift boot next time I see it.
So, basically BMW factory alarm remains silent when thieves break a window but goes off if a cat jumps on the car. If it is not a record breaking obese cat (I doubt it because they can't jump nowhere when they are obese) I take it as a sign of the quality of the alarm's calibration
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
4521
Rep
7,639
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 (MG 6MT)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
So, basically BMW factory alarm remains silent when thieves break a window but goes off if a cat jumps on the car. If it is not a record breaking obese cat (I doubt it because they can't jump nowhere when they are obese) I take it as a sign of the quality of the alarm's calibration
Past weekend the rumble of my 1M managed to trigger the alarm of a Porsche 911. 911 got scared and squeaked, of course.
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #59
Artemis
Moderator
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
4521
Rep
7,639
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 (MG 6MT)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
they can't jump nowhere when they are obese
Could have been a missed jump of a fat cat over the 1M.

__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #60
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
79
Rep
3,073
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Could have been a missed jump of a fat cat over the 1M.

That was sad...and hillarious at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #61
Shost
First Lieutenant
Shost's Avatar
10
Rep
302
Posts

Drives: 1M Coupe BSM
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Essex

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shost View Post
Woke this morning to my car alarm going off. My fears were confirmed, bloody neighbours cat jumped on bonnet. Looks like it's created more work for my detailer too. The little bastard will get a swift boot next time I see it.
So, basically BMW factory alarm remains silent when thieves break a window but goes off if a cat jumps on the car. If it is not a record breaking obese cat (I doubt it because they can't jump nowhere when they are obese) I take it as a sign of the quality of the alarm's calibration
Oh and the alarm sounded more like a reversing beeper that you get on large trucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #62
GeeRam
Major
GeeRam's Avatar
United Kingdom
87
Rep
1,229
Posts

Drives: X5 40d SE
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution80 View Post
has anyone experience with aftermarket pager alarm systems? clifford, viper etc. are they any good?

the only thing i find when looking for infos or videos about this systems is how cool the remote start feature is
I think a Tracker and some installed hidden micro switches spliced into the loom that feeds the OBD port is the way to go, and is an 'unoffical' UK Police recommendation now.


The following was posted over on Pistonheads recently about the theft of BMW's via OBD port key cloning that is going on in the UK at the moment.

my sister and her husband bought a 335d M sport and set about reading up on it after purchase.
She was alarmed to find how prevalent this is.
Anyway with this in mind I fitted 2 micro switches into the wiring up to the obd port and hidden about the cabin,one on the power supply to the port and one more for good measure on a(remaining secret)terminal that all scantools/interfaces need.
This kills any attempt to communicate with the vehicle by any means and can be left in the off position until needed,cost about a fiver from Maplins and twenty mins work.

3 nights ago the inevitable happened,returning from work she finds the o/s glass smashed and the obd port cover removed.
Importantly the car was still there.
It may not stop your car getting stolen by other methods but its a damn site more than bmw are doing apparently.
__________________
2017 X5 4.0dSE ~ Atlas Cedar:Ind.Amaro Brown Merino&Piano Blk, Sport Auto, DHP, Comfort seats, Cold weather pack, HK audio, Electric towbar, Sun protection glass
SOLD - 2011 135i M-Sport Coupe DCT ~ The only Bluewater:Coral Red E82 135i in the UK.

The Weekend Toy1932 Ford 3 window Coupe, all steel, with a 383 SBC, a Tremec and a Quickchange
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #63
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: Black Pyrat
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Constitution State

iTrader: (0)

I think a pair of stickers will save the day

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220931609389...#ht_500wt_1180

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #64
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
79
Rep
3,073
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
I think a pair of stickers will save the day

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220931609389...#ht_500wt_1180

That would probably work better than the alarm, use more blood red on the picture though or just behead the figure.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #65
evolution80
Captain
evolution80's Avatar
Austria
96
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: M3 F80 silverstone
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: austria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
^


i think i will buy a benelli m4 and some rubber buckshot and slugs...
__________________
if you're cast on thin ice, you may as well dance

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #66
evolution80
Captain
evolution80's Avatar
Austria
96
Rep
697
Posts

Drives: M3 F80 silverstone
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: austria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
http://www.tt.com/Tirol/4864601-42/g...usgebrannt.csp

apparently they found the panamera and the m5 (the article says cayenne and m6) which were stolen in my neighbourhood last week

in short:

the burglars searched the entire house - even the bedroom (!) while the homeowners were asleep... found the car keys - owner woke up but could only watch them drive away with the two cars...

a 30yo from eastern-europe hit a tree with the panamera - the m5 has been found in switzerland in some parking area... no further details...

i bet it were the same guys who tried to break into my home and steal our cars...
__________________
if you're cast on thin ice, you may as well dance

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:09 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST