BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-06-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

As my car is finally in the shop today to receive its enhancements, I thought it might be appropriate to start my modding thread. Pictures will follow of course!

My goal is to have a car that is going to be the perfect car as a DD, a perfect car for the backroads, and a perfect car on track with only a pad change and rebound adjustment.

The project will take approximately 1-2 years to be completed.

1. Engine turning - Evolve-R Stage 3
2. ER Chargepipe - installed
3. Forge DV - installed (squeaking when off throttle)
4. Wagner FMIC - installed
5. Wheels - BBS RI-D (dbk) with PSS - installed
6. BBK - Brembos CCM-R with GTR Callipers
7. Suspensions - PSI/Murray Coote
8. CAI - GruppeM CAI
9. Exhaust - Akrapovic Evolution
10. Further lightening - let me know if anyone is interested in an CF parts

Cosmetics
1. Black Front Grilles: installed - thanks to Stu at BMR!
2. Black Side Grilles: installed
3. McGard Black Nuts : installed
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com

Last edited by sparoz; 12-16-2012 at 10:25 PM.
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: BMW 135i / Kawa Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,842
iTrader: (0)

No meth?
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
bmw1mc
First Lieutenant
 
bmw1mc's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia

Posts: 343
iTrader: (0)

Good to hear mate! post up the results when all done!

what wheels are you going for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
As my car is finally in the shop today to receive its enhancements, I thought it might be appropriate to start my modding thread. Pictures will follow of course!

My goal is to have a car that is going to be the perfect car as a DD, a perfect car for the backroads, and a perfect car on track with only a pad change and rebound adjustment.

The project will take approximately 1-2 years to be completed.

1. ESS Tuning - installed
2. ER Chargepipe - being installed
3. Forge DV - being installed
4. Wagner FMIC - being installed
5. Wheels - waiting on delivery
6. BBK - negotiating a deal
7. Suspensions - under investigation
8. Exhaust - TBA
9. Stage 2 tune - TBA
10. Further lightening - TBA
bmw1mc is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
No meth?
No meth lol. I have some plans for turbo upgrade. I won't start looking into it till much later though.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,317
iTrader: (0)

Well done Steve... About time you emptied out your treasure hoard and put it to good use..
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

What wheels? Photos!!!

What springs in the Forge DV's
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #7
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
As my car is finally in the shop today to receive its enhancements, I thought it might be appropriate to start my modding thread. Pictures will follow of course!

My goal is to have a car that is going to be the perfect car as a DD, a perfect car for the backroads, and a perfect car on track with only a pad change and rebound adjustment.

The project will take approximately 1-2 years to be completed.

1. ESS Tuning - installed
2. ER Chargepipe - being installed
3. Forge DV - being installed
4. Wagner FMIC - being installed
5. Wheels - waiting on delivery
6. BBK - negotiating a deal
7. Suspensions - under investigation
8. Exhaust - TBA
9. Stage 2 tune - TBA
10. Further lightening - TBA
I can't wait to see those wheels!
__________________
alik01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 01:42 AM   #8
timbo_3101
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 398
iTrader: (0)

Sounds exciting, sparoz!

Might be somewhat subjective, but I'm interested to hear how "perfect for DD" is compatible with "perfect for track"
timbo_3101 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #9
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
What wheels? Photos!!!
Oh man! Just you wait!
__________________
alik01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
beemer
force fed Member
 
beemer's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: sydney

Posts: 977
iTrader: (0)

I'm waiting....for his old wheels lol

Mods sound good as they all seem to perform a function, what advantage do the charge pipe and forge dv have. i am curious, i don't know much about these
beemer is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
What wheels? Photos!!!

What springs in the Forge DV's
Not going to spoil the surprise with the wheels. Yellow for forge dv, but that seems to post the most issue with installation. Wagner and ER charge pipe went straight in.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo_3101
Sounds exciting, sparoz!

Might be somewhat subjective, but I'm interested to hear how "perfect for DD" is compatible with "perfect for track"
Yes, it is a tough ask. Ie most $ would be spent there.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
I'm waiting....for his old wheels lol

Mods sound good as they all seem to perform a function, what advantage do the charge pipe and forge dv have. i am curious, i don't know much about these
Insurance as you put the boost up. Charge pipe blowing off seems to be the issue even with stock and Biz already had two episodes.

I probably will go the CPE path if I am doing it again.

The forge DV is a spring system and made with steel (?) instead of plastic and will hold boost better.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com

Last edited by sparoz; 06-06-2012 at 03:38 AM.
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #14
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
I'm waiting....for his old wheels lol

Mods sound good as they all seem to perform a function, what advantage do the charge pipe and forge dv have. i am curious, i don't know much about these
Forge DV's can handle higher boost than stock valves, but they will even benefit stock cars. They are direct replacement DV's rather than blow-off valve types.

The CP is good for better throttle response... although arguments that the stock CP is fine

There are often used DV's & CP's for sale on the forums as many ppl don't find the benfit ... I'm in 2 minds & need more convincing.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #15
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Forge DV's can handle higher boost than stock valves, but they will even benefit stock cars. They are direct replacement DV's rather than blow-off valve types.

The CP is good for better throttle response... although arguments that the stock CP is fine

There are often used DV's & CP's for sale on the forums as many ppl don't find the benfit ... I'm in 2 minds & need more convincing.
Honestly I am not convinced either. It was more of a concern when earlier 1Ms keep blowing their charge pipe off. Remember I bought all these way back in Nov/Dec and Andrew didn't have any problems with any of the cars that he saw. Now that I have got it, I thought I might as well put it in.

Questionable usefulness, and I still have questions about aftermarket charge pipe designs.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #16
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Honestly I am not convinced either. It was more of a concern when earlier 1Ms keep blowing their charge pipe off. Remember I bought all these way back in Nov/Dec and Andrew didn't have any problems with any of the cars that he saw. Now that I have got it, I thought I might as well put it in.

Questionable usefulness, and I still have questions about aftermarket charge pipe designs.
I don't quite understand how a CP will improve throttle response ???

I do get the Forge DV's as the stock DV's 'could' leak boost.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #17
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: BMW 135i / Kawa Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,842
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
No meth lol. I have some plans for turbo upgrade. I won't start looking into it till much later though.
If you get a turbo upgrade you will need even more meth

The limitation is pump fuel.
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #18
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Brigadier General
 
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
 
Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I don't quite understand how a CP will improve throttle response ???

I do get the Forge DV's as the stock DV's 'could' leak boost.
I'm not too sure on the technical aspects but I do know the benefits to the ER Charge Pipe are:

* The ER one is 3" throughout, from intercooler to throttle body so there's no kinks or restrictions to airflow.
* In addition the stock plastic charge pipe (which leaks in some cars, doesn't leak in others) has an internal sound baffle which causes further turbulence to the airflow before it reaches the throttle body, the ER one eliminates this further improving airflow (and in theory, throttle response).


Tbh, for most daily cars, it's probably not necessary unless you are already experiencing boost leak.

Imo, reasons for upgrading in order of priority:

1. You'll be visiting the track or enjoying spirited driving and want peace of mind that your charge pipe won't blow off - potentially leaving you stranded or damaging something in the engine bay,
2. To eliminate boost leak,
3. You want to run meth, and/or
4. You personally like the sound of a blow off valve
__________________
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #19
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I don't quite understand how a CP will improve throttle response ???

I do get the Forge DV's as the stock DV's 'could' leak boost.
The theory was that the stock charge pipe was made with rubber and it can expand. They also claim the bellow potentially restricted flow.

The more I read about it, the more I thought that, I don't think the difference will be significant, and the 'bellow' people were talking is actually an expansion joint which is necessary to decrease stress on the elbow.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #20
Ian///M
Major General
 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU

Posts: 5,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
I'm not too sure on the technical aspects but I do know the benefits to the ER Charge Pipe are:

* The ER one is 3" throughout, from intercooler to throttle body so there's no kinks or restrictions to airflow.
* In addition the stock plastic charge pipe (which leaks in some cars, doesn't leak in others) has an internal sound baffle which causes further turbulence to the airflow before it reaches the throttle body, the ER one eliminates this further improving airflow (and in theory, throttle response).


Tbh, for most daily cars, it's probably not necessary unless you are already experiencing boost leak.

Imo, reasons for upgrading in order of priority:

1. You'll be visiting the track or enjoying spirited driving and want peace of mind that your charge pipe won't blow off - potentially leaving you stranded or damaging something in the engine bay,
2. To eliminate boost leak,
3. You want to run meth, and/or
4. You personally like the sound of a blow off valve
So with the ER, without blow-off valves, (sticking to Forge or stock DVs) there is still increased turbo noise due to metal CP and no baffle?
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #21
sparoz
Brigadier General
 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

Posts: 4,744
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
If you get a turbo upgrade you will need even more meth

The limitation is pump fuel.
More than one way to skin a cat . Hopefully RSPCA doesn't look at the forums.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
sparoz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #22
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Brigadier General
 
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes's Avatar
 
Drives: a black car
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
So with the ER, without blow-off valves, (sticking to Forge or stock DVs) there is still increased turbo noise due to metal CP and no baffle?
I personally didn't find any increase in turbo or induction noise with the chargepipe. I did have a DCI at the time though and that didn't appear to get any louder.
__________________
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST