BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #23
Ejpatch
Enlisted Member
Ejpatch's Avatar
1
Rep
40
Posts

 
Drives: 135i cv
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ct

iTrader: (0)

When was your car built? I'm still waiting for mine I pre paid in April prior to delivery ......... Getting very frustrated
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
574
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

iTrader: (0)

Wait, wait, wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejpatch View Post
When was your car built? I'm still waiting for mine I pre paid in April prior to delivery ......... Getting very frustrated
I too pre paid for mine in March. I have two people, at the dealership, looking out for the fix to come in so that they can install the PPK1. Not knowing is certainly frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #25
StarzM3
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

My car was built in March 2012. Initially I went to a Dinan dealer in hopes of getting the Stage 2 tune, but they were unable to do it because my car had a new version of software that it wasn't compatible with. Dinan told me that cars built after March 2012 have this new software, and they are trying to decode it. I bought my car new about 1 month ago from Global Imports in Atlanta. I was able to get the PPK installed last week.

Last edited by StarzM3; 07-07-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

BMW can't install their own PPK software, because of the encryption that THEY wrote?

So, there's a department at BMW that writes the encryption code but they won't share the code with the BMW department that writes the PPK software?
It sounds silly, but so do the excuses, if that's what BMW is claiming.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #27
Diver
Colonel
Diver's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
BMW can't install their own PPK software, because of the encryption that THEY wrote?

So, there's a department at BMW that writes the encryption code but they won't share the code with the BMW department that writes the PPK software?
It sounds silly, but so do the excuses, if that's what BMW is claiming.
Well, it seems like this has been resolved. Perhaps adapting the PPK and its installation process was not so trivial.

I suspect adoption of the new encryption may have been in response to reports of people stealing BMW's by cloning keys.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #28
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
695
Rep
16,690
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Well, it seems like this has been resolved. Perhaps adapting the PPK and its installation process was not so trivial.

I suspect adoption of the new encryption may have been in response to reports of people stealing BMW's by cloning keys.

I seriously doubt that. Me thinks BMW is more concerned with warranty claims with "tuned engines" than their car's getting stolen. They like that because it might get them another new car sale. Car's running with tunes cost their bottom line... and that is not good for any company.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #29
Mikbek
1Er Fan
Mikbek's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Silver Lake, WI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I just sent my sales person an e-mail because I paid for PPK in my deal and have been waiting for them to be able to install it. I will let you know what his response is tomorrow.
__________________
Life is short, don't waste any of it!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #30
Diver
Colonel
Diver's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
2,893
Posts

 
Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I seriously doubt that. Me thinks BMW is more concerned with warranty claims with "tuned engines" than their car's getting stolen. They like that because it might get them another new car sale. Car's running with tunes cost their bottom line... and that is not good for any company.
Well, there is a memo out there stating changes made to the N55 vs the N54 were to make tuning more difficult because repairs were showing up in the CPO program. The latest encryption is said to prevent installation of the Dinan flash. Just why BMW can't get a PPK out the door for these cars is beyond me.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #31
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
695
Rep
16,690
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Well, there is a memo out there stating changes made to the N55 vs the N54 were to make tuning more difficult because repairs were showing up in the CPO program. The latest encryption is said to prevent installation of the Dinan flash. Just why BMW can't get a PPK out the door for these cars is beyond me.
The new SW encryption (aka anti-tuner SW update) has been out for quite awhile now. It is also for N54's as well as N55's.

Back in March - 2011, when I had my SW updated I got stuck with that new encryption SW. It totally gutted the throttle response and introduced a lot of turbo "lag".

My German tuner said its no problem for him to get around the new encryption SW. It's only a problem for the tuners who don't know how to hack/tune BMW's! lol My car has been running strong since then, with close to 400 PS. I would think BMW AG knows how to get around the encryption too - its just that a company that BIG needs time for the corporate wheels to turn. It takes time for one dept to work out the details to talk to another dept. Especially when its one company BMW AG vs //M GmbH trying to collaborate on a project.


Dackel
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #32
GeeRam
Captain
GeeRam's Avatar
United Kingdom
10
Rep
908
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London,UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The new SW encryption (aka anti-tuner SW update) has been out for quite awhile now. It is also for N54's as well as N55's.

Back in March - 2011, when I had my SW updated I got stuck with that new encryption SW. It totally gutted the throttle response and introduced a lot of turbo "lag".
The new post-Mar 2012 encrypted DME's are a further advanced level up from the 'updates' of existing DME's mentioned.
__________________
2011 135i M-Sport Coupe DCT ~ Bluewater:Coral Red | BMWP CF spoiler & BMWPE | Birds B1 suspension | Forge FMIC | Hartge footrest | Alufelgen CS7 & Pirelli P Zero

2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim ~ lots of mods
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #33
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
695
Rep
16,690
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
The new post-Mar 2012 encrypted DME's are a further advanced level up from the 'updates' of existing DME's mentioned.

But... the real question is... whether this new SW update also guts the performance/throttle response and give us added "lag" - like what I and others have gotten with the "old" SW update.


Dack
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
wibbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 135i 6MT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
The new post-Mar 2012 encrypted DME's are a further advanced level up from the 'updates' of existing DME's mentioned.

But... the real question is... whether this new SW update also guts the performance/throttle response and give us added "lag" - like what I and others have gotten with the "old" SW update.


Dack
I think the N54 is the only 135/1M to have. The N55 was awesome before BMW screwed with the software.

When the tuners crack the DME encryption it will be good again.
__________________
Current: 2011 F20 120d SE & E90 335i
Previous:
2010 Alpine White N55 135i 6MT, 2009 LMB LCI N54 135i - Cobb tuned!, 2010 F10 530d SE, 1986 E30 318i
1981 E21 320i Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
But... the real question is... whether this new SW update also guts the performance/throttle response and give us added "lag" - like what I and others have gotten with the "old" SW update.


Dack
Dack,

I've got a 2013 335i Msport on order.
The throttle response in those is excellent, compared to my current 135i, my 135i has NO response.

It'll be nice having the engine give me what I want when I want it.

PPK for the new 3's will be out by December, of so BMW claims.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #36
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
574
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

iTrader: (0)

Here is the latest information I received today, 7/18/12, from my dealer.

"What is the production date of the vehicle in question? If it was produced before 3/12 then there are no problems with programming and you can install the Power Kit now.

If the car was produced from 3/12 then you will have to wait until ISTA/P 2.47.2, which comes out in a couple of weeks. I’m just waiting to get a final confirmation that this new ISTA/P level works 100% then I will send out a DCS message announcing the details.

Mr.(me) - your vehicle falls after 3/2012 production – yours was produced as a 4/2012 production- we need to wait until the next version comes out and I will reach out when they give me the DCS message that advises that we can program the software into your vehicle"

Hopefully all will go well and I can have the update in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #37
NYC6
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
2,078
Posts

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
I think the N54 is the only 135/1M to have. The N55 was awesome before BMW screwed with the software.

When the tuners crack the DME encryption it will be good again.
How did you get a 2010 135i with the N55?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #38
wibbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 135i 6MT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
How did you get a 2010 135i with the N55?
I bought one!

N55 was introduced in 03/2010 - mine was an 03/2010 car
__________________
Current: 2011 F20 120d SE & E90 335i
Previous:
2010 Alpine White N55 135i 6MT, 2009 LMB LCI N54 135i - Cobb tuned!, 2010 F10 530d SE, 1986 E30 318i
1981 E21 320i Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #39
NYC6
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
2,078
Posts

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
I bought one!

N55 was introduced in 03/2010 - mine was an 03/2010 car
Didnt know that. Mine was built 01/2010.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #40
wibbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: 135i 6MT
Join Date: May 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Didnt know that. Mine was built 01/2010.
You lucked out then as yours has the N54 motor
__________________
Current: 2011 F20 120d SE & E90 335i
Previous:
2010 Alpine White N55 135i 6MT, 2009 LMB LCI N54 135i - Cobb tuned!, 2010 F10 530d SE, 1986 E30 318i
1981 E21 320i Auto
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #41
NYC6
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
2,078
Posts

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
You lucked out then as yours has the N54 motor
I just say that because I got one of the last 2010's coming into the USA. Either way, we both win.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #42
Sindarin
Private
3
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

ISTA/P version 2.47 started shipping yesterday which includes the fix for Power Kit retrofit on N55 vehicles produced from 3/2012. I would allow your dealers a couple days to receive and install the software before calling and scheduling an appointment.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #43
StarzM3
New Member
0
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

I can't figure out how they installed my PPK a few weeks ago, yet my car was produced in March 2012. My boyfriend seems to think they either didn't really install it, or they gave me the wrong thing (which I find impossible). When I initially got the car in June, I went to get the Dinan tune and when they hooked it up to the computer, they got an error because of some "new software" that Dinan has not been able to figure out yet. So, if I have this new software, how did I get the PPK?? I find this all so confusing!

Is there a way I can confirm which version software my car has?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:50 AM   #44
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
574
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

iTrader: (0)

Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindarin View Post
ISTA/P version 2.47 started shipping yesterday which includes the fix for Power Kit retrofit on N55 vehicles produced from 3/2012. I would allow your dealers a couple days to receive and install the software before calling and scheduling an appointment.
Thank you for the update. I contacted my dealer and he said that he received the Discs and will install the S/W. After testing he will notify me if all goes well. He said I could bring my car in and use it for testing but I declined that offer. I declined because I do not know enough about the workings or feel of the car as it is now and would not notice a significant difference when the mod is installed. I thought I would leave that up to the more knowledgeable.

Last edited by sochermit; 07-26-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST