BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
Turn the key the other way.. ha
Doh!

Tried that... No go.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #24
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
135s have Temp gauge, 128 not
Are there aftermarket gauge packages for the E82?

I'm sure the car's CPU is monitoring all that info... It's just a matter of accessing it.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #25
CGMike
First Lieutenant
 
CGMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3racer View Post
Doh!

Tried that... No go.
thats weird! My 135 does it. Maybe its in one of the packages or being a 135?
__________________
2011 Space Grey 135i Manual Coupe Sport
06 GTO , 06 WRX, 59 Bug, 03 Dakota R/T, 03 SV650
CGMike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #26
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMike View Post
thats weird! My 135 does it. Maybe its in one of the packages or being a 135?
It is weird... I mean it's just a freakin' mechanical key lock... I'll try again later... Maybe user error.

You 135i guys get all the breaks.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
!
 
Bimmer-Bob's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Camp Lejeune, NC

Posts: 2,234
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Congrats! I know you've been waiting for a while. Car looks good - I haven't seen hardly any pics of the LCI front bumper and the turbine-style wheels, if any. Looks much better than the configurator suggests.

The no temp gauge thing is really annoying. Mainly because there's a space for it there! It just seems like a stupid corner to cut on a BMW. I know the trick of checking oil level in the BC, but I would much prefer an actual gauge to determine if I've reached operating temp. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but maybe the 135i cluster could be fitted and coded to work? I know I've seen guys put M3 clusters in 135i's.
__________________
Bimmer-Bob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #28
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Congrats! I know you've been waiting for a while. Car looks good - I haven't seen hardly any pics of the LCI front bumper and the turbine-style wheels, if any. Looks much better than the configurator suggests.
Thanks... It does.

Quote:
The no temp gauge thing is really annoying. Mainly because there's a space for it there! It just seems like a stupid corner to cut on a BMW. I know the trick of checking oil level in the BC, but I would much prefer an actual gauge to determine if I've reached operating temp. I've never heard of anyone doing it, but maybe the 135i cluster could be fitted and coded to work? I know I've seen guys put M3 clusters in 135i's.
One of the threads in the forum mentions a product called ScanGauge: It's dash-mounted and plugs into the OBDII port and allows to to pretty much monitor anything and everything that the CPU sees, just like one of those handheld OBDII readers... About $160, if I recall... Not bad, since a purpose-built gauge package would cost considerably more since those VDO gauges are pretty pricey.

EDIT: Here's a link to the ScanGauge site: http://www.scangauge.com/
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #29
the1andonly
Lieutenant
 
Drives: black on black 128i manual
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: midwest

Posts: 436
iTrader: (0)

Nice car...white was my second choice behind black. All you need now is to debadge, golf tee mod and tint at 50/35 and you'll be all good!
the1andonly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #30
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
Nice car...white was my second choice behind black. All you need now is to debadge, golf tee mod and tint at 50/35 and you'll be all good!
White was my second choice as well, behind Crimson Red, which was inexplicably yanked from the availability list.

No mods: I'm going to keep it pretty much near-stock.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #31
tccox
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 228i Msport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 438
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
Nice car...white was my second choice behind black. All you need now is to debadge, golf tee mod and tint at 50/35 and you'll be all good!
White was my second choice as well, behind Crimson Red, which was inexplicably yanked from the availability list.

No mods: I'm going to keep it pretty much near-stock.
Wow, love my crimson red 128 but white was my second choice. May you love yours as much as I love mine.
__________________
A peasant and proud of it
Save The Manuals!!!
tccox is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
May you love yours as much as I love mine.
Thanks!
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #33
Fox128i
First Lieutenant
 
Fox128i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E82
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dromund Kaas

Posts: 318
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2012 128i  [4.75]
Awesome car and great color choice!
__________________
Deutsche Bahn, DB | Österreichische Bundesbahnen, ÖBB | Schweizerische Bundesbahnen, SBB
Fox128i is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
OK, I tried using the key in the door again and this time the door locked and unlocked... User error apparently.

That said, ONLY the driver's door locks and unlocks... And the windows do NOT raise themselves no matter how long I hold the key in the lock position... Oh well.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #35
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Back from some semi-spirited driving in the South Bay and it reminded me of some other things I forgot to mention earlier...

- The clutch pedal seems noticeably softer than my old E36's and I'm still trying to feel my way through its engagement points.
- The sport seats have considerably more adjustments, so I haven't found the perfect seating position yet... Some fine tuning is required.
- The throws of the shifter are quite short and notchy... Some breaking in and getting used to it is needed here as well.
- The punch of the six is fabulous... I really need to keep an eye on the speedometer or I'll get myself in trouble.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #36
x97Melbourne
Molar World
 
Drives: 2013 328i CV
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

I love the white. Looks sharp.
But, No sport package?
__________________
Current Car: 2011 335i Sedan
Gone But Not Forgotten: 2008 135i Convertible
x97Melbourne is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #37
x97Melbourne
Molar World
 
Drives: 2013 328i CV
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orlando, FL

Posts: 869
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
Nice car...white was my second choice behind black. All you need now is to debadge, golf tee mod and tint at 50/35 and you'll be all good!
I am just curious, why do some de-badge? What is the appeal?
__________________
Current Car: 2011 335i Sedan
Gone But Not Forgotten: 2008 135i Convertible
x97Melbourne is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #38
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
I love the white. Looks sharp.
But, No sport package?
It is the Sports Package.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #39
the1andonly
Lieutenant
 
Drives: black on black 128i manual
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: midwest

Posts: 436
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
I am just curious, why do some de-badge? What is the appeal?
Really cleans up the back of the car...
Attached Images
 
the1andonly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 03:20 AM   #40
simianspeedster
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

WOW! This is one of the best looking 128s I've seen on this forum. Just so simple (in a good way) and classic.

It's weird: looking at the online configurator, I prefer the M-Sport/135 body kit but I've seen a few 1s on the road lately and I tend to like the standard body style better in person.

The same goes for the style 370 wheels on the Sport Package -- at first I didn't dig they way they looked on the configurator, but I saw a set in person and I like them. Your pictures really do them justice.

The only thing I don't like about the Sport/M-Sport on the 1 Series is the shadowline window trim. The greenhouse on the 1 is small in proportion with the body and the black trim makes it look smaller -- I wish they offered the standard chrome even with Sport/M-Sport. That said, you have to go with sport suspension and seats over window trim!

Unfortunately, BMW won't offer the Sport Package in MY13, only M-Sport, so I guess you won't seem many beautiful cars like yours. I'll be in the market for a MY13 next Spring, so no Sport Package for me (dammit).

I'm guessing you drove around Palos Verdes Drive, right?
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #41
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 3,633
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkruger206 View Post
Yeah fog lights go off when you turn off the headlights, no way around this i've found.

Yes all modern BMWs sold in the U.S. can roll down the windows but you can't roll-up the windows. This can be fixed by someone who can run NCS Expert and has an ODB cable. I've added the roll-up feature to my car. Read up on programing or coding
That can be coded as well.
__________________
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #42
tritonx
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '11 128i, '92 325is
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Quebec, Qc, Canada

Posts: 233
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
1992 325is  [0.00]
1994 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3racer View Post
Back from some semi-spirited driving in the South Bay and it reminded me of some other things I forgot to mention earlier...

- The clutch pedal seems noticeably softer than my old E36's and I'm still trying to feel my way through its engagement points.
- The sport seats have considerably more adjustments, so I haven't found the perfect seating position yet... Some fine tuning is required.
- The throws of the shifter are quite short and notchy... Some breaking in and getting used to it is needed here as well.
- The punch of the six is fabulous... I really need to keep an eye on the speedometer or I'll get myself in trouble.
Very nice car. I too came from an E36 and the 1er was the only viable complement to my garage.

About the clutch pedal, would deleting the CDV help with that problem ? I haven't done that mod yet...

yeah the 128i is plenty of power to get quickly in trouble, stay safe.
__________________
tritonx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #43
AW128i
Major
 
AW128i's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 N51
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern, PA

Posts: 1,004
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to AW128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3racer View Post
OK, I tried using the key in the door again and this time the door locked and unlocked... User error apparently.

That said, ONLY the driver's door locks and unlocks... And the windows do NOT raise themselves no matter how long I hold the key in the lock position... Oh well.
Two turns to the left to unlock both doors. Or, you can change the option in the BC to include both doors when unlocking. This setting affects the keyless entry behavior as well.

As for the windows, that's odd. My '08 rolls up the windows and closes the sunroof with the key turned and held to the right. It does take a second or two for the windows/sunroof to begin to move. Personally, I've coded my car to allow opening and closing via the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
That can be coded as well.
Really? I haven't seen a setting yet in NCS that allows the fog light switch to "remember" its last setting. I believe you can code the car to always have the fogs on, but I haven't heard of being able to code the switch to have a memory of sorts.
__________________
"The Camaro's V6 makes so much horsepower because them horses are trying as hard as they can to run the fuck away from that ugly ass car." -Golden3ye
AW128i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2012, 08:27 AM   #44
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
 
bmw1racer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
WOW! This is one of the best looking 128s I've seen on this forum. Just so simple (in a good way) and classic.
Exactly... Less is more.

Quote:
It's weird: looking at the online configurator, I prefer the M-Sport/135 body kit but I've seen a few 1s on the road lately and I tend to like the standard body style better in person.

The same goes for the style 370 wheels on the Sport Package -- at first I didn't dig they way they looked on the configurator, but I saw a set in person and I like them. Your pictures really do them justice.
I think the sterile background that the configurator uses diminishes the appearance of the car somewhat, especially since the car is white against a white background.

Quote:
The only thing I don't like about the Sport/M-Sport on the 1 Series is the shadowline window trim. The greenhouse on the 1 is small in proportion with the body and the black trim makes it look smaller -- I wish they offered the standard chrome even with Sport/M-Sport. That said, you have to go with sport suspension and seats over window trim!
The shadowline trim doesn't bother me... I just hope it holds up: the shadowline-like trim on my E36 disintegrated over time.

Quote:
I'm guessing you drove around Palos Verdes Drive, right?
Yup... And down PCH through the beach communities.
__________________
bmw1racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST