BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
suprtran
Lieutenant

Drives: cars.

Garage List
How to improve handling??

My car: 135i
Suspension mods: H&R Coilovers, E93 Front sway bar.

Coming recently from 2 M cars (E46 M3 & E85 M Roadster), my 1er feel annoyingly loose, unplanted, and non-driver oriented. I was hoping the aftermarket coilovers and M3 front sway bar would improve handling and add more rigidity, but improvement is minimal.

What else can I do to the suspension to beef-up the chasis and give the car that planted characteristic?
      06-18-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel

Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

M3 lower control arms and M3 rear subframe bushings.
      06-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
VMRWheels
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Does it feel loose when you're taking turns in general (body roll and such) or are you losing traction during turns?

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Winter Wheel/Tire Sale! **
      06-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren

Drives: 135i

Send a message via AIM to 1ToBeOn2Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
THIS. Seriously, the control arms, sway bars, and bushings completely transform the car. Awesome turn-in, planted and comfortable ride, much greater high speed stability, and better traction. It's the closest you can get to a 1M.

-2012 VW MKVI GTI Autobahn w/ DSG (SOLD)
-2008 E82 N54 135i Coupé 6MT
-2001 E46 M3 Coupé 6MT (Retired)
1ToBeOn2Wheels is offline   United_States
      06-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel

Drives: '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
+1. this combined with coilovers and a m3 front sway bar and your car will greatly be improved.
08 AW 135i | Cobb | ETS FMIC | ER CP w/ Tial Bov | AR Catted Downpipes | Berk Mids | Meisterschaft GT SUS 1M |M3 Control Arms | M3 Sways | M3 Rear Subframe Bushings | Wavetrac LSD | AST 4200 DA Coilovers | HRE R43 | Hankook R-S3 |Full BMW Performance Interior | Revozport 1M Raze Aero Package in Satin Carbon |1M Body Conversion|
      06-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
ken1137
Brigadier General

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
+1000...I was also not completely satisfied with coilovers, although it was an improvement over stock. I did quite a bit of research and I added the M3 front & rear sway bars, M3 rear sub-frame bushings, M3 front control arm kit, and Rogue engineering rear toe arms. The ride is beautiful, very compliant, and stiff where and when it should be.

Sorry, dont put your wallet away just yet

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
      06-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
CJ421
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
The M3 suspension parts are excellent upgrades. They are aluminum and have harder bushings; no more deflection under load. That means more of your input is directly transmitted to the road.

I also highly recommend the front control arms/tension struts and rear subframe bushings (there are four of them). The front control arms/tension struts will make the steering heavier and give you a better feel for the road. The M3 subframe bushings are full bushings unlike the stock ones.

Adjustable rear toe arms are the last component after the subframe bushings to keeping your car's rear planted; the stock toe arms will not hold the toe in check under acceleration so the angle will fluctuate. Not good. Also a big problem if the car is lowered.

This hasn't been mentioned yet but what tires are you running? Those make a huge difference too ... more important than any suspension mod.

Last thing you're missing compared to your M cars is the limited-slip differential.
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
CJ421 is offline   United_States
      06-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
yaymitch
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 135is 6MT & CTS-V Wagon

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to yaymitch Send a message via Yahoo to yaymitch
I'm new to the mod thing so excuse me if this is a stupid question. If you go with the BMW Perf. suspension upgrade would there be any need for coilovers?
yaymitch is offline   United_States
      06-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #9
pharmdphd98
PharM3

Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Where do you guys go to get these parts? Is there one place you trust? Any chance you could list the part numbers? I think every stock 135i needs these mods ASAP to unleash its true potential. For a car with such a beautiful engine, the suspension of this car truly sucks......
      06-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
yaymitch
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 135is 6MT & CTS-V Wagon

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to yaymitch Send a message via Yahoo to yaymitch
Try Turner Motorsports... All of the above parts can be found on this site.
yaymitch is offline   United_States
      06-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #11
GaryS
Colonel

Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
I'm new to the mod thing so excuse me if this is a stupid question. If you go with the BMW Perf. suspension upgrade would there be any need for coilovers?
No, get one or the other. BMW perf suspension is mainly springs and shocks. Coilovers are also springs and shocks.
      06-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #12
Focusedintntions
Colonel

Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
Where do you guys go to get these parts? Is there one place you trust? Any chance you could list the part numbers? I think every stock 135i needs these mods ASAP to unleash its true potential. For a car with such a beautiful engine, the suspension of this car truly sucks......
Talk to my man Dan @ Unitedbmwonline...he'll hook you up
      06-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
CJ421
Brigadier General

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaymitch View Post
Coilovers are nothing magical as noted, it's just a matched spring and shock set with adjustable ride height.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmdphd98 View Post
I got most of my M3 parts and nearly all OEM parts I installed onto my car from Tischer BMW - getBMWParts.com. Excellent customer service.
2011 BMW E92 335i, 6MT, Le Mans blue - Quaife LSD, JRZ RS Pro, JRZ camber plates, Eibach ERS, full M3 susp, custom toe arms, Powergrid end-links, SS brake lines, brake ducting, Michelin PSS, UUC SSK, ETS FMIC, ER CP, Perf. Exhaust, VAC RSIK, Sparcos; work by VAC Motorsports in Philadelphia
      06-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
suprtran
Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Does it feel loose when you're taking turns in general (body roll and such) or are you losing traction during turns?
It feels more unplanted in general.

And my stock RFTs aren't helping either.
      06-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
suprtran
Lieutenant

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
The M3 suspension parts are excellent upgrades. They are aluminum and have harder bushings; no more deflection under load. That means more of your input is directly transmitted to the road.

I also highly recommend the front control arms/tension struts and rear subframe bushings (there are four of them). The front control arms/tension struts will make the steering heavier and give you a better feel for the road. The M3 subframe bushings are full bushings unlike the stock ones.

Adjustable rear toe arms are the last component after the subframe bushings to keeping your car's rear planted; the stock toe arms will not hold the toe in check under acceleration so the angle will fluctuate. Not good. Also a big problem if the car is lowered.

This hasn't been mentioned yet but what tires are you running? Those make a huge difference too ... more important than any suspension mod.

Last thing you're missing compared to your M cars is the limited-slip differential.
Do you have part#s for all these components? Which ones are OE BMW and which ones are aftermarket parts? Any idea on whether PowerFlex offer any of the bushings mentioned?
      06-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #16
CJ421
Brigadier General

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtran View Post
Do you have part#s for all these components? Which ones are OE BMW and which ones are aftermarket parts? Any idea on whether PowerFlex offer any of the bushings mentioned?
They are all OEM parts save for the rear toe arms - the M3 ones do not work on a non-M. I got the Rogue Engineering adjustable rear toe arms from VAC Motorsports - call to order them. They are a Rogue dealer. www.vacmotorsports.com. Or PM Mike@VAC here.

I have part #s on www.getBMWParts.com for the M3 pieces - put these in their search:

The whole kit - PKE9XM3SUSPENSION

Individually:
Strut tower brace - PKE9XM3BRACE
Front control arms/tension strut retrofit kit - PKE9XM3ARMS
Rear guide rod set - PKE9XM3RGUIDE
Rear wishbone set - PKE9XM3REARWISH
Rear sway bar kit - PKE9XM3RSWAYKIT
Front sway bar kit - PKE9XM3FSWAYKIT

Only thing I can't seem to find individually is the rear subframe bushings. You can add them to the whole kit or the front control arms/tension struts retrofit kit when you order however ^.

Powerflex makes many bushings for the E8X - http://store.powerflexusa.com/bmw-e8...ngs-p1426.aspx
#19/20 in their diagram are alternatives to the M3 bushings. I personally like the M3 bushings, they're around the same price and it is an OEM part.

You can look at the Meyle HD parts as alternatives to the M3 parts. (warning: PDF link) http://www.meyle.com/_download/locat...-parts-BMW.pdf
I personally don't have experience with those; the reviews I've read indicate they are of excellent quality (made in Germany) and good upgrades over stock. They are in-between the stock part and the M3 parts in terms of what they'll do for handling. Pretty good run-down here of what they offer.
      06-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #17
suprtran
Lieutenant

Garage List
Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
They are all OEM parts save for the rear toe arms - the M3 ones do not work on a non-M. I got the Rogue Engineering adjustable rear toe arms from VAC Motorsports - call to order them. They are a Rogue dealer. www.vacmotorsports.com. Or PM Mike@VAC here.

I have part #s on www.getBMWParts.com for the M3 pieces - put these in their search:

The whole kit - PKE9XM3SUSPENSION

Individually:
Strut tower brace - PKE9XM3BRACE
Front control arms/tension strut retrofit kit - PKE9XM3ARMS
Rear guide rod set - PKE9XM3RGUIDE
Rear wishbone set - PKE9XM3REARWISH
Rear sway bar kit - PKE9XM3RSWAYKIT
Front sway bar kit - PKE9XM3FSWAYKIT

Only thing I can't seem to find individually is the rear subframe bushings. You can add them to the whole kit or the front control arms/tension struts retrofit kit when you order however ^.

Powerflex makes many bushings for the E8X - http://store.powerflexusa.com/bmw-e8...ngs-p1426.aspx
#19/20 in their diagram are alternatives to the M3 bushings. I personally like the M3 bushings, they're around the same price and it is an OEM part.

You can look at the Meyle HD parts as alternatives to the M3 parts. (warning: PDF link) http://www.meyle.com/_download/locat...-parts-BMW.pdf
I personally don't have experience with those; the reviews I've read indicate they are of excellent quality (made in Germany) and good upgrades over stock. They are in-between the stock part and the M3 parts in terms of what they'll do for handling. Pretty good run-down here of what they offer.
      06-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
haggomyeggo

Drives: E93 335i

so ok stupid noob question. when shopping for these parts you just buy M3 replacement parts? they bolt right up?
      06-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #19
CJ421
Brigadier General

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [4.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtran View Post
Much appreciated
You're welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggomyeggo View Post
so ok stupid noob question. when shopping for these parts you just buy M3 replacement parts? they bolt right up?
Yes - the parts I mentioned above are direct bolt in replacements for the stock parts.
      08-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #20
jayely1
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i

So for lets say $500 whats the best handling upgrade?
      08-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #21
sharkatron
First Lieutenant

Drives: `09 135i

Bear in mind the strut tower brace for e82 is slightly different - hp sell one for e82 and one for e9x. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just that on hp website for m3 suspension conversion there is an option for one or the other.
sharkatron is offline   Australia
      08-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #22
sharkatron
First Lieutenant

Drives: `09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1
So for lets say $500 whats the best handling upgrade?
Apparently the rear subframe bushings.
sharkatron is offline   Australia