BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
 
burger16b's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI, NY, CT

Posts: 258
iTrader: (0)

KUMHO ECSTA LE SPORT review

Ok so I'm no tire expert but I ditched the run flats and got some KUMHO ECSTA LE SPORTS from Tire Rack and I absolutely love them. they are much quieter then the Bridgetones th car came with and a fraction of the cost. I'm sure they dont copare to the Conti DW or some of the other tires out there, but bang for your buck I love them. They've been on the car for around 1500 miles and still feel good. thanks Tire Rack

225/40R-18 front
255/35R-18 rear

Last edited by burger16b; 07-01-2012 at 08:59 AM.
burger16b is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: California

Posts: 689
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 1ToBeOn2Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by burger16b View Post
Ok so I'm no tire expert but I ditched the run flats and got some KUMHO ECSTA LE SPORTS from Tire Rack and I absolutely love them. they are much quieter then the Bridgetones th car came with and a fraction of the cost. I'm sure they dont copare to the Conti DW or some of the other tires out there, but bang for your buck I love them. They've been on the car for around 1500 miles and still feel good. thanks Tire Rack

225/40R-18 front
255/35R-18 rear
I am also running these tires (same sizes). My buddy worked at a tire shop and recommended them. I had NEVER heard of Kumho and to be honest, I was very skeptical, especially given their lower price. They turned out to be the best tire I've had on my car yet. Great looking tread pattern too. A lot of the performance tires have some ridiculous boy-racer looking treads to them, but not the Kumhos. I'm extremely happy and will probably replace my current set with another set of Kumhos.
__________________

-2012 VW MKVI GTI Autobahn w/ DSG (SOLD)
-2008 E82 N54 135i Coup 6MT
-2001 E46 M3 Coup 6MT (Retired)
1ToBeOn2Wheels is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
jsublime
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando

Posts: 479
iTrader: (0)

I have these too. Got them when they were fairly new and TR was doing a $100 rebate, made them cheaper than the famous Hankook V12 and they got better reviews. I have about 7k on them now. They are definitely great for the money. Much better comfort compared to the stock Bridgestones - no bracing for impact when you see a pothole fast approaching. Traction is good and so far they are showing very little wear. However it is pretty easy to break them loose (which can be fun), also, the initial turn in response is no where near what the stock RFTs provided. When I first had these mounted I did an aggressive lane change and thought I just made a terrible mistake, but after breaking them in and getting the pressure adjusted I've really started to enjoy them. Overall, they're a great tire for the price, they're not going to give you the ultimate grip but if you need a budget tire I would definitely recommend them. Next time I will probably try and splurge for the PSS just to see how the other half lives.
__________________
jsublime is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
VMRWheels
Lieutenant General
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 14,622
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Reviews on TireRack on the Kumho's are surprisingly way up there. Great tires, many of my customers had good things to say about them.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Winter Wheel/Tire Sale! **
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
twin fed
Doc Brown
 
twin fed's Avatar
 
Drives: Future M2 Owner
Join Date: May 2008
Location: B-Win, NY

Posts: 876
iTrader: (2)

I have them too, but on my B8 A4 Audi. Only had them for about 1000 miles but so far they are great. Had the V12's before and these are much quieter and definitely a better ride. And with the $50 rebate from Khumo even better!
__________________
twin fed is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
 
burger16b's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI, NY, CT

Posts: 258
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
I have these too. Got them when they were fairly new and TR was doing a $100 rebate, made them cheaper than the famous Hankook V12 and they got better reviews. I have about 7k on them now. They are definitely great for the money. Much better comfort compared to the stock Bridgestones - no bracing for impact when you see a pothole fast approaching. Traction is good and so far they are showing very little wear. However it is pretty easy to break them loose (which can be fun), also, the initial turn in response is no where near what the stock RFTs provided. When I first had these mounted I did an aggressive lane change and thought I just made a terrible mistake, but after breaking them in and getting the pressure adjusted I've really started to enjoy them. Overall, they're a great tire for the price, they're not going to give you the ultimate grip but if you need a budget tire I would definitely recommend them. Next time I will probably try and splurge for the PSS just to see how the other half lives.


what did you go with for tire pressure with them?
burger16b is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #7
jsublime
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orlando

Posts: 479
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger16b View Post
what did you go with for tire pressure with them?
I think they're around 38-40 for the front and rear. There used to be a thread for recommended non-rft pressure, you can probably find it if you need more info.
__________________
jsublime is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
 
burger16b's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI, NY, CT

Posts: 258
iTrader: (0)

Thanks, I've been playing with the tire pressure trying to find the sweet spot
burger16b is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST