BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
greensto
Wild Card
 
greensto's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Posts: 519
iTrader: (2)

Question About Painting Wheels

Looking to sand/paint these wheels with a gloss black lip and flat face, but wondering how I should approach the machined lip. Same as the painted part by just scuffing it up with sandpaper? Also, does anyone know what technique could be used to get ONLY the lip glossy?

__________________

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you



Last edited by greensto; 10-20-2014 at 09:35 PM.
greensto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #2
greensto
Wild Card
 
greensto's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Posts: 519
iTrader: (2)

Anyone?
__________________

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you


greensto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
schmidtp
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

What technique are you using to paint them? Unless they were powder coated I would be worried about chipping and scratching. If I am not mistaken I believe it is around $500 for a set of rims which might be a good piece of mind
schmidtp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
greensto
Wild Card
 
greensto's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Posts: 519
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
What technique are you using to paint them? Unless they were powder coated I would be worried about chipping and scratching. If I am not mistaken I believe it is around $500 for a set of rims which might be a good piece of mind
It is hard to justify spending $500 to paint wheels that are $700. I was going to be sanding the wheels with sandpaper, using primer, and spray painting the coats over it. Just can't find anything on painting a machined lip or a DIY to keep the lip glossy and the face matte.
__________________

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you


greensto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
schmidtp
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Madison, WI

Posts: 287
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensto View Post
It is hard to justify spending $500 to paint wheels that are $700. I was going to be sanding the wheels with sandpaper, using primer, and spray painting the coats over it. Just can't find anything on painting a machined lip or a DIY to keep the lip glossy and the face matte.
Makes sense! Since the finish of the paint is going to determine what the sheen and if you don't want to take them off an option may be to use two different clear coats. Painting with two blacks would be easily distinguishable if it was not a clean line but you might be able to get the look you are going for with using a matte clear on the inners, and a gloss on the lip.

Side note; where did you get those for only $700?
schmidtp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
greensto
Wild Card
 
greensto's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boynton Beach, FL

Posts: 519
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
Makes sense! Since the finish of the paint is going to determine what the sheen and if you don't want to take them off an option may be to use two different clear coats. Painting with two blacks would be easily distinguishable if it was not a clean line but you might be able to get the look you are going for with using a matte clear on the inners, and a gloss on the lip.

Side note; where did you get those for only $700?
I didn't know about matte clear. That may work to keep it better protected and easier to clean than no clear coat on the inner. I definitely was going to do a few glossy coats for the lip and was thinking about possibly making a circular cardboard cutout to place onto the center of the wheel, leaving the lip exposed, to do it. Think something like that may work?
__________________

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you


greensto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
ShocknAwe
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ShocknAwe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston, SC

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (6)

is it a fake 2 piece?
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | Build Thread
ShocknAwe is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
project jayden
New Member
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: murrieta

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

powder coat it. Those should be fairly cheap to powder coat especially for the sizes. I would say it shouldn't cost you more than $200 and will last you a lot longer than paint will
project jayden is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST