BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
AndyM
Lieutenant

Drives:

Let's remove the brake and shift boots

The removal of the shift and brake boots is pretty straight forward. If you are not familiar with BMW boots, each boot is glued to a plastic ring. That plastic ring clips into the center console.

Removing the Emergency Brake Boot
To remove the Emergency Brake Boot, lift at the back of the boot to unclip the plastic ring. There is a clip at the back, along each side and a tab at the front. You want to work your way from the back to the front. Lift as indicated:

With the Boot unclipped, slide the boot forward over the brake lever. You will turn the boot inside out as you go.

At the base of the Emergency Brake Handle is a tie wrap that secures the boot. Cut the tie wrap and the boot will able to come off.

Installation
Installation is the reverse of removal. You will want to us a low profile tie wrap so you do not have a big ‘knot’ under your brake boot.

Removing the Shift Boot
The Shift Boot can be removed in a similar way to the brake boot. Begin by undocking the plastic ring from the center console. You will want to lift at each side as indicated.

With the Shift Boot undocked, remove the shift knob. The shift knob lifts straight up off the shift lever. Do not turn or twist it. Just pull straight up. Some shift knob can be stubborn so be careful, plenty of BMW owners have hit themselves in the face when the shift knob finally lets go.

If you are switching to a new Shift Boot or switching to a different Shift Knob, you will need to separate the shift boot and the shift knob. If you turn the shift boot inside out, you will see a white plastic disc that presses up to the bottom of the shift knob.

The shift knob has 3 teets that pass through the shift boot and lock into the disc. To remove the disc, use a small screw driver and carefully pry it off. Go slow and be careful.

teets:

If you are switching to an aftermarket shift boot and want to use your stock shift knob, you will need to remove the teets from the bottom of the shift knob. Carefully cut them off with some wire snips and then de-burr with an X-acto knife.

Installation
Installing the shift boot is the inverse of removal.
      04-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
AndyM
Lieutenant

Drives:

Could someone with a 128 please let me know if the shift knob is connected to the shift boot in the same way as I posted? Thanks.
      07-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Bullitt
Captain

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Surprised there is no mention of this on this forum or other bimmer forums: the two teets that are next to each other on the bottom of the ///M shift knob must be broken off in order to separate the knob from its boot. Otherwise, the knob will not remove. It has to do with the bottom of the teets, which is much larger than the holes it must be disconnected through. This may apply only to later productions as I have a May build and it appears BMW has modified these two teets since this DIY.
      05-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Alow
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09 128i

Andy,

Would this DIY work to install the new BMW performance e-brake? I think a new lever is included, not just the boot. How does the lever come off? I'll probably find out once I do this, but I wanted to see if you knew before I attempt it.
Alow is offline   United_States
      05-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
AndyM
Lieutenant

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alow View Post
Andy,

Would this DIY work to install the new BMW performance e-brake? I think a new lever is included, not just the boot. How does the lever come off? I'll probably find out once I do this, but I wanted to see if you knew before I attempt it.
Sorry, I'm not sure. If the ebrake is like the E46 one, you remove the boot and then can remove the entire handle assembly. Then adjust the handbrake cables.
      05-25-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
SlickShift
Major

Drives: '14 MX-5 Club

Do you have any pictures of one of your alcantara shift boots and/or e-brake boots on a 1er?
/Coral/Glacier
SlickShift is offline   United_States
      05-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
AndyM
Lieutenant

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShift View Post
Do you have any pictures of one of your alcantara shift boots and/or e-brake boots on a 1er?

Here you go]
      05-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #8
SlickShift
Major

Drives: '14 MX-5 Club

Thanks! I'm still on the fence on whether or not the perforated leather looks good with alcantara. Hmmm...
/Coral/Glacier
SlickShift is offline   United_States
      04-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
golf_234
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 C230

Thank you! worked perfect.
      07-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
woosh
Colonel

Drives: Canyonero SUV

I felt the need to bump this up. Took me by surprise that the other two teets weren't exposed to be unclipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Surprised there is no mention of this on this forum or other bimmer forums: the two teets that are next to each other on the bottom of the ///M shift knob must be broken off in order to separate the knob from its boot. Otherwise, the knob will not remove. It has to do with the bottom of the teets, which is much larger than the holes it must be disconnected through. This may apply only to later productions as I have a May build and it appears BMW has modified these two teets since this DIY.
Easiest way to do this is, after having unclipped the first exposed teet, stick a thin screw driver from underneath (between the knob and boot/gaitor) and gently twist. This pulls the two teets up out of the glue/resin. There is no clip inside, so it comes straight out. Just make sure not to leave marks on the silver part of the gear knob!!
woosh is offline   Australia