BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
froop
Colonel

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Troubleshooting - Installing the M3 Strut Brace

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience in installing the M3 strut brace?

I tried installing it tonight (first proper DIY job that isn't a cosmetic mod) and I got stuck at the centre Torx bolt that holds the OEM strut braces in place.

It's just at such an awkward angle, at full stretch and it's really damn tight. I even tried hammering the socket wrench to no avail.

Because I needed to use an extension on the socket wrench in order for it to reach the bolt inside the hole there's a fair amount of play and I'm having a lot of difficulty applying the torque to the bolt...

Does anyone with experience have any tips or pointers? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
froop is offline   Australia
      08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

I would PM or call Harold and ask him. He is the guru for adapting //M parts to our cars. Also maybe this thread will help you out. ?

M3 Strut Tower Brace Kit for your 128i 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...m3+strut+tower
Dackelone is offline   Germany
      08-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
pavo335
Banned

Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience in installing the M3 strut brace?

I tried installing it tonight (first proper DIY job that isn't a cosmetic mod) and I got stuck at the centre Torx bolt that holds the OEM strut braces in place.

It's just at such an awkward angle, at full stretch and it's really damn tight. I even tried hammering the socket wrench to no avail.

Because I needed to use an extension on the socket wrench in order for it to reach the bolt inside the hole there's a fair amount of play and I'm having a lot of difficulty applying the torque to the bolt...

Does anyone with experience have any tips or pointers? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
It doesn't fit you need to buy the 1m strut brace
      08-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
int2str
Captain

Drives: 2008 135i

I just did this last night. No real advice other than "pull". I did it with a short extension, a good "E" type bit (don't use a normal socket, use a "E" torx bit). I did it with a normal ratchet handle and a good amount of elbow grease. Wasn't too hard to break loose to be honest.

Don't forget to install the new bolt that comes with the kit - I missed it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
It doesn't fit you need to buy the 1m strut brace
Untrue and un-helpful.
int2str is offline   Germany
      08-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Peter@Advan

Drives: 335 coupe ADVAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
I just did this last night. No real advice other than "pull". I did it with a short extension, a good "E" type bit (don't use a normal socket, use a "E" torx bit). I did it with a normal ratchet handle and a good amount of elbow grease. Wasn't too hard to break loose to be honest.

Don't forget to install the new bolt that comes with the kit - I missed it....

Untrue and un-helpful.
A M3 tower bar / strut brace will not fit a 135, you will need to mod the centre mount as the angle is not correct.
You need to make sure that you purchase the modded centre mount when you buy your kit.
Peter@Advan is offline   Australia
      08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
froop
Colonel

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

I purchased the M3 strut tower brace kit for 128i/135i's from HPA.

http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-128i-135i...tbrace-e82.htm

I'm hoping that it should be ok as I believe it comes with the modified centre mount.

Thanks for all the comments guys. A couple people have told me they used a breaker bar to loosen up the bolt so I might need to go and buy one of those and have a second crack at it. If all else fails, Peter I'm sure you'll see me again soon haha (I was guy that dropped by yesterday with the AW 135i)
froop is offline   Australia
      08-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
NiVeDh
Major General

Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM

Garage List
If anyone accidentally bought the unmodified one and would like to trade for a modified one, please let me know. I bought the unit from someone with a 135i and the modified one will not fit my 335i as I found out the hard way.

Thanks.

NiVeDh is offline   India
      08-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
flinchy
Colonel

Drives: 130i

for the price, is the M3 type brace better than a standard type one? i mean, it's not far off double the price for it..?