BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
froop
Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 2,055
iTrader: (2)

Troubleshooting - Installing the M3 Strut Brace

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience in installing the M3 strut brace?

I tried installing it tonight (first proper DIY job that isn't a cosmetic mod) and I got stuck at the centre Torx bolt that holds the OEM strut braces in place.

It's just at such an awkward angle, at full stretch and it's really damn tight. I even tried hammering the socket wrench to no avail.

Because I needed to use an extension on the socket wrench in order for it to reach the bolt inside the hole there's a fair amount of play and I'm having a lot of difficulty applying the torque to the bolt...

Does anyone with experience have any tips or pointers? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,666
iTrader: (1)

I would PM or call Harold and ask him. He is the guru for adapting //M parts to our cars. Also maybe this thread will help you out. ?

M3 Strut Tower Brace Kit for your 128i 135i
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...m3+strut+tower
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
pavo335
Banned
 
pavo335's Avatar
 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 2,981
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop
I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience in installing the M3 strut brace?

I tried installing it tonight (first proper DIY job that isn't a cosmetic mod) and I got stuck at the centre Torx bolt that holds the OEM strut braces in place.

It's just at such an awkward angle, at full stretch and it's really damn tight. I even tried hammering the socket wrench to no avail.

Because I needed to use an extension on the socket wrench in order for it to reach the bolt inside the hole there's a fair amount of play and I'm having a lot of difficulty applying the torque to the bolt...

Does anyone with experience have any tips or pointers? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
It doesn't fit you need to buy the 1m strut brace
pavo335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
int2str
Captain
 
int2str's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 655
iTrader: (2)

I just did this last night. No real advice other than "pull". I did it with a short extension, a good "E" type bit (don't use a normal socket, use a "E" torx bit). I did it with a normal ratchet handle and a good amount of elbow grease. Wasn't too hard to break loose to be honest.

Don't forget to install the new bolt that comes with the kit - I missed it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
It doesn't fit you need to buy the 1m strut brace
Untrue and un-helpful.
int2str is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Peter@Advan
 
Peter@Advan's Avatar
 
Drives: 335 coupe ADVAN
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sydney

Posts: 1,306
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
I just did this last night. No real advice other than "pull". I did it with a short extension, a good "E" type bit (don't use a normal socket, use a "E" torx bit). I did it with a normal ratchet handle and a good amount of elbow grease. Wasn't too hard to break loose to be honest.

Don't forget to install the new bolt that comes with the kit - I missed it....



Untrue and un-helpful.
A M3 tower bar / strut brace will not fit a 135, you will need to mod the centre mount as the angle is not correct.
You need to make sure that you purchase the modded centre mount when you buy your kit.
Peter@Advan is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
froop
Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 2,055
iTrader: (2)

I purchased the M3 strut tower brace kit for 128i/135i's from HPA.

http://www.hpashop.com/BMW-128i-135i...tbrace-e82.htm

I'm hoping that it should be ok as I believe it comes with the modified centre mount.

Thanks for all the comments guys. A couple people have told me they used a breaker bar to loosen up the bolt so I might need to go and buy one of those and have a second crack at it. If all else fails, Peter I'm sure you'll see me again soon haha (I was guy that dropped by yesterday with the AW 135i)
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
NiVeDh
Major General
 
NiVeDh's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT BSM
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

Posts: 7,987
iTrader: (132)

Garage List
If anyone accidentally bought the unmodified one and would like to trade for a modified one, please let me know. I bought the unit from someone with a 135i and the modified one will not fit my 335i as I found out the hard way.

Thanks.

NiVeDh is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      08-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,700
iTrader: (0)

for the price, is the M3 type brace better than a standard type one? i mean, it's not far off double the price for it..?
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST