BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Jazzy
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: 135i manual,Mpackage
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

BMW oil change lie

Bought my car new in Aug 2009. Last year my annual service was late by one and half months and now I'm being told I will only get three oil changes because after I do it in sept this year my warranty will be up Aug and not cover the next change. I only put about 5000km per year and they will not do an oil change early. Doesn't this sound like a bit of a scam (they advertise as 4 free oil changes).
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
Tom K.'s Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
5,411
Posts

 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy View Post
Bought my car new in Aug 2009. Last year my annual service was late by one and half months and now I'm being told I will only get three oil changes because after I do it in sept this year my warranty will be up Aug and not cover the next change. I only put about 5000km per year and they will not do an oil change early. Doesn't this sound like a bit of a scam (they advertise as 4 free oil changes).
Nope - no scam. BMW clearly specs oil changes at CBS mileage intervals or annually, whichever comes first. Since you were late on one change, you will lose out on one freebie oil service. BTW, in the US, many dealers now offer coupons for an $80 oil change so its really not that big of a deal.

But now that you know, I hope you had the brake fluid flushed in Aug., 2011 so you will be eligible for the second free one just before your warranty expires 2 years later.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
tankus
Private
tankus's Avatar
2
Rep
88
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 128i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Talking about the break fluid flush I I had NTB put two new tires on my car this weekend. They did a fluid check and my break fluid was dark purple. they are telling me it needs changing. It just went out of warranty and they were supposed to have flushed it in Jan when it went in for service. Thats about 7K miles ago.. What color is BMWs break fluid?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
BimmerEnthusiast99
Private First Class
1
Rep
186
Posts

 
Drives: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

A scam and a lie? That's rather harsh when you admitted that you didn't hold up your part of the bargain, which in this case means to simply show up at a few given points-in-time.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Pangloss's Avatar
6
Rep
563
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

I only drove 3300 miles over the last 11 months. So if I don't get my annual service on the precise date I purchased my car I'm gonna miss out one one oil change? That seems a bit harsh.
__________________
2012 135i convertible, DCT, Black/Beige, HK, Prem, M sport, no nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
bmw1racer's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
2,054
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankus View Post
Talking about the break fluid flush I I had NTB put two new tires on my car this weekend. They did a fluid check and my break fluid was dark purple. they are telling me it needs changing. It just went out of warranty and they were supposed to have flushed it in Jan when it went in for service. Thats about 7K miles ago.. What color is BMWs break fluid?
I'm pretty sure the brake fluid is clear... Check your reservoir.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
BimmerEnthusiast99
Private First Class
1
Rep
186
Posts

 
Drives: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
I only drove 3300 miles over the last 11 months. So if I don't get my annual service on the precise date I purchased my car I'm gonna miss out one one oil change? That seems a bit harsh.


C'mon...make it an apples-to-apples case scenario:

The "exact day" or anniversary of your purchase date, and 45 days later in the OP's case are two different things. If your dealer didn't grace you a few days, maybe even a week or so, then yes, I'd find that harsh or rather nitpicky on their part.

The point is, if you fail to live up to your side of the bargain, you can be mad that they are being sticklers on dates, but don't say it's a lie or scam.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
Pig Farmer
Captain
8
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

The BMW brake fluid i purchased from the dealer was yellow. When I flushed the original/factory brake fluid it was also yellow, but closer to yellow tan after 20k miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Pangloss's Avatar
6
Rep
563
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEnthusiast99 View Post


C'mon...make it an apples-to-apples case scenario:

The "exact day" or anniversary of your purchase date, and 45 days later in the OP's case are two different things. If your dealer didn't grace you a few days, maybe even a week or so, then yes, I'd find that harsh or rather nitpicky on their part.

The point is, if you fail to live up to your side of the bargain, you can be mad that they are being sticklers on dates, but don't say it's a lie or scam.
I'm just asking because it seems like sometimes things like this ARE that specific. 45 days is not a long period of time when you're not spending a couple of hours a day sitting in a daily driver. I've already gone and set myself a calendar alarm on this so I don't forget, but it makes me nervous to think what would have happened if I had waited a few weeks before thinking about it.

90 days I could see that. Not 45.
__________________
2012 135i convertible, DCT, Black/Beige, HK, Prem, M sport, no nav.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
aerobod
Car Geek
aerobod's Avatar
Canada
8
Rep
769
Posts

 
Drives: Caterham R400, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

In Calgary, the dealers will take the car +/- one month or 1,000km from the indicated time or kilometres and consider it on-time or distance. Not sure if this is the same for other dealers in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
Jazzy
New Member
0
Rep
19
Posts

 
Drives: 135i manual,Mpackage
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Just to be clear on the timing, i called about two weeks late to schedule and then the first available slot was three weeks out. When I called today, the first available slot is two weeks away.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
BimmerEnthusiast99
Private First Class
1
Rep
186
Posts

 
Drives: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

In that case Jazzy, your service advisor(s) are being jackasses if they don't grace you. When you go in, I'd explain difficulty in scheduling, then ask them to honor four oil changes.

If not, I'd bet it'll only take one letter to the powers-that-be to guarantee a 4th.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST