BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #45
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
BMW M Performance Sport brake pads
Pagid RS19s
Ferodo DS2500

Take your pick. I personally prefer the first 2 and I'm currently using the BMW ones which have been great but very noisy. I prefer to swap pads for track days as good track biased pads are extremely noisy for road use. People on the streets cringe and stare at me with disgust whenever I come to the stop.
Just letting them know you mean business

Have PFC-08's and had a great track day with them last week.
LOL!

PFCs are great too.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #46
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83
[

BMW M Performance Sport brake pads
Pagid RS19s
Ferodo DS2500

Take your pick. I personally prefer the first 2 and I'm currently using the BMW ones which have been great but very noisy. I prefer to swap pads for track days as good track biased pads are extremely noisy for road use. People on the streets cringe and stare at me with disgust whenever I come to the stop.
Sure it's just the brakes giving that reaction?!?

Thanks for the info. I have heard great things about the Ferodo DS2500 and PFC08.

I'm not too mechanically inclined and don't want to be swapping brakes. I've got another 'proper' track car for a good bash, the 1M makes it out once a month for some good fun.

It's not going to be daily driven anymore either.

So either of these two or the Sport sones should be good?

I feel tempted to try the sport ones so I can ask the dealer to install it with no issues.
__________________
alik01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #47
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99
Just letting them know you mean business

Have PFC-08's and had a great track day with them last week.
I have heard great stuff about this and was convinced till a minute ago!
__________________
alik01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #48
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I have heard great stuff about this and was convinced till a minute ago!
I wouldnt go.with these if youre not swapping pads back and forth. They are noisy when cold and rattle like a choo choo train!! They are great track pads, but not meant for the road. I cant speak for the other two pads but im not sure theres a "good" track and DD pad.

Different pads for different purposes
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #49
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
I wouldnt go.with these if youre not swapping pads back and forth. They are noisy when cold and rattle like a choo choo train!! They are great track pads, but not meant for the road. I cant speak for the other two pads but im not sure theres a "good" track and DD pad.

Different pads for different purposes
Fair enough. Might try the OEM Sport pads first - they are likely to be the best compromise.
__________________
alik01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #50
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Fair enough. Might try the OEM Sport pads first - they are likely to be the best compromise.
While the OEM sport pads perform beautifully on the road and track, rain or shine, cold or hot, they do squeal and grind loudly with light pedal pressure when you are slowing down at cool temperatures. It's always going to be a trade-off. What you can do however is get something like this to help:

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/s...-silencer-kit/

If you look at the standard oem pads, you'll see the same thing as what is shown in the link above.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #51
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
While the OEM sport pads perform beautifully on the road and track, rain or shine, cold or hot, they do squeal and grind loudly with light pedal pressure when you are slowing down at cool temperatures. It's always going to be a trade-off. What you can do however is get something like this to help:

http://www.eliseparts.com/products/s...-silencer-kit/

If you look at the standard oem pads, you'll see the same thing as what is shown in the link above.
Never going to win!

Which do you think is a better balance, DS2500 or OEM Sport?
__________________
alik01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 02:54 AM   #52
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Never going to win!

Which do you think is a better balance, DS2500 or OEM Sport?
I've only had the Ferodo DS2500 in my previous car which was a MK5 Golf R32, and I felt that they were a good compromise between a full on track pad and a performance pad for the road. They were pretty quiet with the occasional soft squeal, which wouldn't bother anyone. Given that the R32 has a similar caliper to the M3/1M - both being made by ATE and are single piston - it would be possible to compare the DS2500 to the OEM Sport Pads.

The initial bite of the DS2500 is not as sharp and hard as the OEM Sport Pads. OEM Sport Pads have a better initial bite during winter temperatures. However, the DS2500 has a similar initial bite and pedal feel as the standard OEM pads when cold. Once warm/hot, the DS2500 improve quite a bit in terms of pedal firmness and bite. The DS2500 is nearly half the price of the Sport Pads. Given that it doesn't get particularly cold in Australia compared to Europe, the DS2500 should work well for you. They are good quality pads and are often used in the AP Racing BB kits. In your situation, I would probably go for them since they aren't too expensive and you can always get something more track focused if you find them inadequate.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #53
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Darwin, Australia

Posts: 1,780
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
I've only had the Ferodo DS2500 in my previous car which was a MK5 Golf R32, and I felt that they were a good compromise between a full on track pad and a performance pad for the road. They were pretty quiet with the occasional soft squeal, which wouldn't bother anyone. Given that the R32 has a similar caliper to the M3/1M - both being made by ATE and are single piston - it would be possible to compare the DS2500 to the OEM Sport Pads.

The initial bite of the DS2500 is not as sharp and hard as the OEM Sport Pads. OEM Sport Pads have a better initial bite during winter temperatures. However, the DS2500 has a similar initial bite and pedal feel as the standard OEM pads when cold. Once warm/hot, the DS2500 improve quite a bit in terms of pedal firmness and bite. The DS2500 is nearly half the price of the Sport Pads. Given that it doesn't get particularly cold in Australia compared to Europe, the DS2500 should work well for you. They are good quality pads and are often used in the AP Racing BB kits. In your situation, I would probably go for them since they aren't too expensive and you can always get something more track focused if you find them inadequate.
Good idea. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and thought out response.
__________________
alik01 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #54
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Good idea. Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed and thought out response.
You're welcome. Oh, one more thing, with hybrid/track pads, they may rattle over rough roads, and will clank when you brake as your reverse and clank again when you brake after moving forwards - the pads are simply just shifting within the caliper. The reason for this is because the metal pad-back is made slightly smaller to allow for thermal expansion when your brakes get really hot, so as to prevent the pad from seizing within the caliper.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #55
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,417
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
You're welcome. Oh, one more thing, with hybrid/track pads, they may rattle over rough roads, and will clank when you brake as your reverse and clank again when you brake after moving forwards - the pads are simply just shifting within the caliper. The reason for this is because the metal pad-back is made slightly smaller to allow for thermal expansion when your brakes get really hot, so as to prevent the pad from seizing within the caliper.
And because track pads -- at least those used by racers -- typically do not include the clips, since those would only slow down pad changes.

Neil
MDORPHN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #56
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
And because track pads -- at least those used by racers -- typically do not include the clips, since those would only slow down pad changes.

Neil
This too, but Ferodo DS2500 and Pagid RS19s for OEM calipers have clips.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #57
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
This too, but Ferodo DS2500 and Pagid RS19s for OEM calipers have clips.
If thats the case (as stated I have no experience with those) than I would say those are your best option OP. Anything that doesn't have those clips will instantly go into the "not what you're looking for" category
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #58
toni8284
Lieutenant
 
toni8284's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 LCI, VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upper Darby, PA

Posts: 458
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
What a perfect timing. I just came back from watkins glen. and after session 3 the last 5 mins, My steering wheel is shaking. session 4 got worst.

My instructor told me I have a warp rotor. but after reading all the posts, maybe it's the brake deposits.

I am using stock pad with stock rotor and super blue brake fluid.

I already made an appointment on Monday for the service.

Let's see what BMW says...

Do they replaced for free or not?
For the update of my story.

I just picked up my car today, and the SA told me I have warped rotors at the front. both with 0.008MM.

So they replaced both front rotors under warranty, but no new pads installed.

Case closed.
__________________
2014 F10 M5 Singapore Gray
toni8284 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #59
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
For the update of my story.

I just picked up my car today, and the SA told me I have warped rotors at the front. both with 0.008MM.

So they replaced both front rotors under warranty, but no new pads installed.

Case closed.
Good that they replaced it FOC. But 0.008mm is defined as runout not warped .
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #60
toni8284
Lieutenant
 
toni8284's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 LCI, VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upper Darby, PA

Posts: 458
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Good that they replaced it FOC. But 0.008mm is defined as runout not warped .
in the paperwork it printed:

measured front rotor runout. .008MM

How many mm will accounted for the warped rotor?
__________________
2014 F10 M5 Singapore Gray
toni8284 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #61
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
What a perfect timing. I just came back from watkins glen. and after session 3 the last 5 mins, My steering wheel is shaking. session 4 got worst.

My instructor told me I have a warp rotor. but after reading all the posts, maybe it's the brake deposits.

I am using stock pad with stock rotor and super blue brake fluid.

I already made an appointment on Monday for the service.

Let's see what BMW says...

Do they replaced for free or not?
For the update of my story.

I just picked up my car today, and the SA told me I have warped rotors at the front. both with 0.008MM.

So they replaced both front rotors under warranty, but no new pads installed.

Case closed.
Glad to see you had a great time!! haha sounds like a silly question but did you get full lap cool offs before coming in?

And I hate to say this but kind of funny... two track events for you, two brake issues. Two events for me, no issues

Had a BLAST at lime rock two Friday's ago!! You should definitely come next time!
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #62
toni8284
Lieutenant
 
toni8284's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 LCI, VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upper Darby, PA

Posts: 458
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Glad to see you had a great time!! haha sounds like a silly question but did you get full lap cool offs before coming in?

And I hate to say this but kind of funny... two track events for you, two brake issues. Two events for me, no issues

Had a BLAST at lime rock two Friday's ago!! You should definitely come next time!
You are right. And I hope it ended my bad luck.

I ordered Ferodo DS2500 and it should arrive tomorrow.

My next track day is at NJMP Lighting on 9/7.

I hope *finger crossed* this time is problem free!

When is your next event?
__________________
2014 F10 M5 Singapore Gray
toni8284 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #63
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
For the update of my story.

I just picked up my car today, and the SA told me I have warped rotors at the front. both with 0.008MM.

So they replaced both front rotors under warranty, but no new pads installed.

Case closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
You are right. And I hope it ended my bad luck.

I ordered Ferodo DS2500 and it should arrive tomorrow.

My next track day is at NJMP Lighting on 9/7.

I hope *finger crossed* this time is problem free!

When is your next event?
Haha yeah!!!

Nice. I ran limerock with my new PFC08's. IDK how those are, but i would consider running stock pads on the back. I ran the 08's all around and sometimes experienced shuddering during hard braking, and it may just not be necessary for different back pads. Personally, im still not completely used to the new hot biting power. The PFC's are just ridiculous. It was like going back to square one because my braking strategy, pedal use, etc. had to completely change with them. I was overbraking way too much.

On a positive note my instructor (races F2000 cars) was blown away by the braking power. He was in disbelieve when he asked if they were 2 or 4 pot brakes and I said 1

As of right now I may be done for the season Not sure how many more weekdays I can get off as I am working in Hartford CT for at least the next month or so, and then Boston. I would love to go back to NJ.

I have put power mods aside for now.. My next priority is to save for a set of APEX Arc-8's with some stickier rubber. Oh yeah that reminds me, my rear tires are TOAST and definitely not track worthy. (Dont know whether to or lol )
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #64
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Good that they replaced it FOC. But 0.008mm is defined as runout not warped .
in the paperwork it printed:

measured front rotor runout. .008MM

How many mm will accounted for the warped rotor?
It's not the amount - runout can be either deposit or true warp or both. Dealer cannot say with certainty that it's warped unless disc has been completely rid of uneven deposits. Most mechanics are not going to distinguish and clarify because it's easier to say warped. But in engineering terms, you cannot determine warp just because of runout. Runout just means runout.

Sorry, I like being pedantic.
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #65
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
It's not the amount - runout can be either deposit or true warp or both. Dealer cannot say with certainty that it's warped unless disc has been completely rid of uneven deposits. Most mechanics are not going to distinguish and clarify because it's easier to say warped. But in engineering terms, you cannot determine warp just because of runout. Runout just means runout.

Sorry, I like being pedantic.
Lol!

I know I saw a post about this earlier.... but I guess this answers the question somebody posed as to whether the dealer finds it easier/cost worthy to chase down the problem and possible causes or to just declare it warped and replace.
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #66
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
 
mlhj83's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

Posts: 1,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
It's not the amount - runout can be either deposit or true warp or both. Dealer cannot say with certainty that it's warped unless disc has been completely rid of uneven deposits. Most mechanics are not going to distinguish and clarify because it's easier to say warped. But in engineering terms, you cannot determine warp just because of runout. Runout just means runout.

Sorry, I like being pedantic.
Lol!

I know I saw a post about this earlier.... but I guess this answers the question somebody posed as to whether the dealer finds it easier/cost worthy to chase down the problem and possible causes or to just declare it warped and replace.
That was me
mlhj83 is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST