BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
tuphdc
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: King of Prussia, PA

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

aFe headers?

I hope this isn't a repost, but I just noticed that aFe sells headers for the 128i?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=99

I can't seem to find a review on these, so feel free to post one here.
tuphdc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
 
andrey_gta's Avatar
 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

Posts: 3,149
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
it is a repost - see e90post n52 section
The fit is good.
It is unknown if results are measurable.

Their dyno is for afe inatake + headers + stock exhaust e91.

best use of these headers is probably to minimize noise & have "headers "on your loud exhaust if you did secondary cat delete and some no muffler solution.
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 4,148
iTrader: (2)

Just your usual cheap headers. Wouldn't expect more than half a CAT delete in terms of power. Their claims are just silly, though equally optimistic to their dyno.
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2014, 05:02 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
 
Kgolf31's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

Posts: 3,163
iTrader: (3)

I don't understand getting a set of headers that still have a 300 cell count within them. Waste of money IMO.
__________________
12 128i Coupe - Project STX: TCKline l Active Autowerke l APEX l Vorshlag l Dunlop l Hawk l BMW Performance

Kgolf31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
 
andrey_gta's Avatar
 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

Posts: 3,149
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I don't understand getting a set of headers that still have a 300 cell count within them. Waste of money IMO.
If one has no secondaries it makes sense. Otherwise its the same as leaving secondaries.

My only concern is Cat placement. If you have a choice - do you place them in the header or secondaries? Most of not all N/A engined M cars seem to do the seconaries...
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
tuphdc
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: King of Prussia, PA

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=18&fg=10

Where is the cat and resonator in this pic? I just see the "box" which I thought was only the resonator.
tuphdc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #7
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
 
andrey_gta's Avatar
 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

Posts: 3,149
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuphdc View Post
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...19&hg=18&fg=10

Where is the cat and resonator in this pic? I just see the "box" which I thought was only the resonator.
Cat's Are near #5
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #8
tuphdc
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: King of Prussia, PA

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Hmmm so is there a way to get rid of just #5?
tuphdc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)

got excited

saw price

saw cats

closed.

waste of money.
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 4,148
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I don't understand getting a set of headers that still have a 300 cell count within them. Waste of money IMO.
Exactly.

We effectively have a free race cat from the factory. Why artificially restrict yourself with some cheap junky cat?
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #11
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
 
Kgolf31's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

Posts: 3,163
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
If one has no secondaries it makes sense. Otherwise its the same as leaving secondaries.

My only concern is Cat placement. If you have a choice - do you place them in the header or secondaries? Most of not all N/A engined M cars seem to do the seconaries...
From me reading, it appears you want to ditch primaries as soon as possible, since they provide the most restriction.

For example, in SCCA STX, you have to run cats in OEM places (well within 6" of OEM). But, if you have 2 cats (like my N51 128 does) I can relocate the primary and combine the cat into the secondary.

AKA, I can run superspring headers, and 100 cell count cats in the 1st section and follow the rules, and make a ton of power doing so.
__________________
12 128i Coupe - Project STX: TCKline l Active Autowerke l APEX l Vorshlag l Dunlop l Hawk l BMW Performance

Kgolf31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #12
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 4,148
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
From me reading, it appears you want to ditch primaries as soon as possible, since they provide the most restriction.

For example, in SCCA STX, you have to run cats in OEM places (well within 6" of OEM). But, if you have 2 cats (like my N51 128 does) I can relocate the primary and combine the cat into the secondary.

AKA, I can run superspring headers, and 100 cell count cats in the 1st section and follow the rules, and make a ton of power doing so.
Yeah, coupled with some 100 or 200 cell HJS cats in section 1 and you would be pretty well maxing power while staying in your regs.
__________________
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
tuphdc
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 BMW 128i 6MT Sport Pkg
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: King of Prussia, PA

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yeah, coupled with some 100 or 200 cell HJS cats in section 1 and you would be pretty well maxing power while staying in your regs.
What are your thoughts on just keeping the stock "headers" (exhaust manifold) and delete the cats in section 1? Is there a common/popular way to do this? It won't cause a CEL would it?
tuphdc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 4,148
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuphdc View Post
What are your thoughts on just keeping the stock "headers" (exhaust manifold) and delete the cats in section 1? Is there a common/popular way to do this? It won't cause a CEL would it?
I think it's a pretty shortsighted move for cheapness. I personally would never do it.

Pros
-Gain 2-6hp(which you can't physically feel)

Cons:
-Get nothing near the gains from at proper set of headers(20hp+)
-Eliminate the free factory set of high flow cats that make a catless header install in our cars daily driver friendly in terms of odor
-Rust on the welds in a year or two


It won't cause a CEL as it is after the O2 sensors. The common way to do it would be to cut and weld, which should give you rust on the pipe down the road as I mentioned above.
__________________
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
it is a repost - see e90post n52 section
The fit is good.
It is unknown if results are measurable.

Their dyno is for afe inatake + headers + stock exhaust e91.

best use of these headers is probably to minimize noise & have "headers "on your loud exhaust if you did secondary cat delete and some no muffler solution.
Mostly correct. Some may need to maintain the Cats for Emissions and/or Autocross classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Just your usual cheap headers. Wouldn't expect more than half a CAT delete in terms of power. Their claims are just silly, though equally optimistic to their dyno.
False.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I don't understand getting a set of headers that still have a 300 cell count within them. Waste of money IMO.
Also false, see my first response.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #16
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Yeah, coupled with some 100 or 200 cell HJS cats in section 1 and you would be pretty well maxing power while staying in your regs.
Overpriced catalyst that have shown 0 gains over more abundant options like Random Technology. You sure do like to throw around brand names, don't you?
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.

Last edited by TheAxiom; 05-05-2014 at 02:13 PM.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 03:03 PM   #17
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 4,148
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
False.

Also false, see my first response.
Quick then, time to bolt up that AFE intake for 12hp and 16 ft/lbs of torque!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Overpriced catalyst that have shown 0 gains over more abundant options like Random Technology. You sure do like to throw around brand names, don't you?
I don't remember comparing them to RT, but please let us know about your first hand experiences with HJS. I'm eager to see how your hands on experience compares to mine.

And no, I'm not here to "throw around names". I recommend brands that actually make a nice thing. You can find plenty of posts of me trashing companies like HRE back when they made crap products, or any number of modern suspension names like BC and Broadway Static.

*Edit*

I am amused that for a quick Google of Random Technology yielded a link to HPF(lol) selling them, and then a guy on the Prelude forum talking about how they completely failed on him. Not looking great.
__________________
130is MSport 6MT/ SuperSprint Headers & Exhaust with Swain Tech Race Coat / DISA Manifold / EVOLVE Tune / TCK DA Coilovers / Euro CF Intake/Box / BMW v1 Wheel / BBS RGRs with PSS / F30 Brake Shield / BMW CF Spoiler & Diffuser / Blackline Tails / Rear Fogs Enabled / Front Fogs Delete / CDV Delete / BMW Black Kidneys / M5 Illuminated Knob / BMW Stripe
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 04:42 PM   #18
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
 
Kgolf31's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

Posts: 3,163
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Mostly correct. Some may need to maintain the Cats for Emissions and/or Autocross classes
Dude, you clearly don't have a clear understanding on the rules of SCCA Autocross.

In case you forgot, I'm doing a full-prep build for STX.

So, here are the rules:

E. Catalytic converters: Any catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach within 6” (152.4 mm) of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement converter may be located no further downstream than 6” (152.4 mm) along the piping flow path from the original exit of the final OE converter. The extents of an OE converter are defined by the expansion chamber in which the catalyst is contained, regardless of placement within larger exhaust sections. Replacement converters must have a minimum catalyst density of 100 cells per inch and minimum substrate length of 3” (76.2 mm).


AKA - Catless headers and a secondary cat is allowed.
__________________
12 128i Coupe - Project STX: TCKline l Active Autowerke l APEX l Vorshlag l Dunlop l Hawk l BMW Performance

Kgolf31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
Quick then, time to bolt up that AFE intake for 12hp and 16 ft/lbs of torque!



I don't remember comparing them to RT, but please let us know about your first hand experiences with HJS. I'm eager to see how your hands on experience compares to mine.

And no, I'm not here to "throw around names". I recommend brands that actually make a nice thing. You can find plenty of posts of me trashing companies like HRE back when they made crap products, or any number of modern suspension names like BC and Broadway Static.

*Edit*

I am amused that for a quick Google of Random Technology yielded a link to HPF(lol) selling them, and then a guy on the Prelude forum talking about how they completely failed on him. Not looking great.
Well, I did bolt on the AFE intake and it made the most power of any of the 4 intake boxes I tested, this was on top of my stock box with a K&N filter (and charcoal filter) Modified stock box and Injen CAI. The AFE worked and that's all I know of AFE's products.

And I'm glad you found 1 reported failure of a RT product when it's cost and availablility far exceeds those of HJS (which I didn't here about until people started to fanboy Super Sprint products)

So why don't you show me those Super Sprint header dynos on the N52, or those Evolve tuned 128s that make so much power over AA/OE cars, along with break down on how those HJS headers are a superior product to other HiFlow cats on the market. I'll keep waiting.

Does Evolve make a nice product, sure. Does SuperSprint? Of course. Does that mean anything outside of these "Premium" products isn't as good or better - absolutely not.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
 
Kgolf31's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ohio

Posts: 3,163
iTrader: (3)

I don't see how someone can make an argument that 300 cell count headers make more power than catless headers.
__________________
12 128i Coupe - Project STX: TCKline l Active Autowerke l APEX l Vorshlag l Dunlop l Hawk l BMW Performance

Kgolf31 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Dude, you clearly don't have a clear understanding on the rules of SCCA Autocross.

In case you forgot, I'm doing a full-prep build for STX.

So, here are the rules:

E. Catalytic converters: Any catalytic converters are allowed, but must attach within 6” (152.4 mm) of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement converter may be located no further downstream than 6” (152.4 mm) along the piping flow path from the original exit of the final OE converter. The extents of an OE converter are defined by the expansion chamber in which the catalyst is contained, regardless of placement within larger exhaust sections. Replacement converters must have a minimum catalyst density of 100 cells per inch and minimum substrate length of 3” (76.2 mm).


AKA - Catless headers and a secondary cat is allowed.

If you don't have a car with downstream catalyst (as pictured in the diagram above) then what?
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2014, 05:38 PM   #22
TheAxiom
Dyno whore
 
Drives: E90 6Spd ZSP
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Tampa Florida

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
I don't see how someone can make an argument that 300 cell count headers make more power than catless headers.
I didn't say that at all.
__________________
Style 161s 8.5 Square, Euro Intake with K&N, Cyba Scoops, 3 Stage manifold, OE tune.
TheAxiom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST