BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
25

 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Drives: ///1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mexico


Posts: 225
iTrader: (1)

bmw 1M akrapovic problem, any thoughts?

[u2b]http://youtu.be/3jGJ9RFuVQ8[/u2b]



i'm sad any thoughts about what could it be?
check the weird noise at second 15-16.
is the evolution system with wireless kit

thanks guys hope you can help me
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
173

 
EINSER M's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E82 1M
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 34.1064 N, 117.5922 W, 300m altitude


Posts: 5,368
iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M


the raspy metallic sound?
__________________
THE EINSER M BUILD
CLICK HERE: EINSER M BUILD

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Nate@IND
623

 
Nate@IND's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago


Posts: 10,417
iTrader: (19)

Sounds like a valve opening to me. Do you have the wireless kit?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
luial
Private First Class
3

 
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PH


Posts: 116
iTrader: (0)

Same thing on mine. Don't consider it a problem though since it only occurs on first start up.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
99

 
///M1's Avatar
 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 212/305


Posts: 3,090
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Perfectly normal, have it on mine, and here is why. The valve operates on vacuum. At first start it takes a second or two to build vacuum and hence why it starts loud (valve open), vacuum builds and it automatically closes it. So basically your cold starts are always valve open and the mechanical noise you hear is the butterfly closing.

Kinda annoying at times frankly when you are in a public/condo garage because the initial 2 secs upon cold start are really loud and gets other car alarms going.
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
GTR_Steve
Private
United Kingdom
8

 
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norwich, Norfolk UK


Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Yes, I agree with ///M1. It is a poor design and should be spring close, vacuum to open. I have asked Akrapovic why it is spring open but they have not responded. I have had a number of issues with incorrect wiring detail for UK spec vehicles, poor clearance on the rear diffuser. For me a big disappointment for a 5000 exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
54

 
Drives: Series 1 m coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK


Posts: 938
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_Steve View Post
Yes, I agree with ///M1. It is a poor design and should be spring close, vacuum to open. I have asked Akrapovic why it is spring open but they have not responded. I have had a number of issues with incorrect wiring detail for UK spec vehicles, poor clearance on the rear diffuser. For me a big disappointment for a 5000 exhaust.
I think youve just stopped me spending 5000 Steve
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
GTR_Steve
Private
United Kingdom
8

 
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norwich, Norfolk UK


Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Jezzer,
It is difficult but I would struggle to recommend it for the 1M. To be fair, Titanium Petformance, the UK importer have been good but my issues are not resolved. I still have clearance problems despite the rear section being replaced by Akrapovic. I've purchased some polyurethane exhaust mountings which have helped but appear to be under a lot of stress. The exhaust has been re-aligned four times by 2 Akra dealers and myself to no avail. However this problem has not been mentioned by anybody else so maybe it is a problem with my vehicle?
with regard to the wiring, this is easily resolved, just do not follow the Akra instructions and find an alternative 12v ignition switched supply. They recommend connecting to the rear tail lamps which in Europe are always on, but not in the UK though DRL can be coded to include the tail lamps.
The valve is annoying as I have close neighbours and leave early for work, not a good way to make friends!
It's all a little frustrating as Akrapovic are a great exhaust, I know this from other applications, but from my experience they've not made their best effort on the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
99

 
///M1's Avatar
 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 212/305


Posts: 3,090
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_Steve View Post
Jezzer,
It is difficult but I would struggle to recommend it for the 1M. To be fair, Titanium Petformance, the UK importer have been good but my issues are not resolved. I still have clearance problems despite the rear section being replaced by Akrapovic. I've purchased some polyurethane exhaust mountings which have helped but appear to be under a lot of stress. The exhaust has been re-aligned four times by 2 Akra dealers and myself to no avail. However this problem has not been mentioned by anybody else so maybe it is a problem with my vehicle?
with regard to the wiring, this is easily resolved, just do not follow the Akra instructions and find an alternative 12v ignition switched supply. They recommend connecting to the rear tail lamps which in Europe are always on, but not in the UK though DRL can be coded to include the tail lamps.
The valve is annoying as I have close neighbours and leave early for work, not a good way to make friends!
It's all a little frustrating as Akrapovic are a great exhaust, I know this from other applications, but from my experience they've not made their best effort on the 1M.
Let me chime in as now I've had the Akra for a couple of months and actually have experienced a few things in common with Steve. I too have some clearance issues, the passenger side tips are too close to the stock diffuser, and even though the exhaust is bolted tightly and properly, you can slightly wiggle it with your hands and give it a nudge outwards. I am sure Akra will 'blame' it on my mid pipe, but the truth is when I bolted the Slip-On to the stock mids, alignment was not perfect either. I plan on getting the Revozport diffuser (or other alternative if someone like Slek comes out with a revision to their own one and incorporates fins), so this diffuser will likely not stay for too long anyhow.

The other issue is the vacuum delay as we both eluded to in the thread. In reality, it affects people with the valve kit only. If you have the blocking plate (standard with the order) it won't impact it, and likewise for those that will dremel out the blocking plate (essentially loud always setup).

I personally have not had issues with the wiring because as Steve mentioned US cars have the DRL rears on all the time. It must have been an oversight by Akra not to include a UK-specific (or non DRL cars) footnote for the install. Pretty surprising considering the install directions for the 1M are nearly 30 pages!

All in all, if I had to do it all over again, would I? Absofrickinlutely! Still wouldn't go for the full Evo system, better off going with a 3rd party mid pipe (MadDad, Berk, N55) + the Slip-on. Just my $0.02 though.
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
54

 
Drives: Series 1 m coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK


Posts: 938
iTrader: (0)

Steve, did you go for the full Evo system or just the slip-on with standard mid-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
126

 
Ian///M's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AU


Posts: 6,269
iTrader: (0)

Don't need Akra, just change mids. MadDad mids are pretty loud!

Paying that much for a exhaust it should be perfect in all aspects IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
74

 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal


Posts: 3,053
iTrader: (0)

+1. It is also interesting that no one from the company even bothers to give an explanation here. They must be selling like hot cakes no matter what!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
GTR_Steve
Private
United Kingdom
8

 
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norwich, Norfolk UK


Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Jezzer, I initially had only the slip-on whilst awaiting remainder of Evo with wireless kit. The clearance issues existed with both.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
54

 
Drives: Series 1 m coupe
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK


Posts: 938
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR_Steve View Post
Jezzer, I initially had only the slip-on whilst awaiting remainder of Evo with wireless kit. The clearance issues existed with both.
Would there be any difference with fixing the Akrapovic to LHD and RHD cars ie different channeling under the car maybe?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
GTR_Steve
Private
United Kingdom
8

 
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norwich, Norfolk UK


Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

A good thought but I have checked the OEM part numbers for exhaust, downpipe and mounting points on Realoem.com and analysed the install videos. All exactly the same, ///1M's is an LHD and suffering clearance probs.
Still a great exhaust but the lack of interest on issues from the factory is reminiscent of a $100 Bosal exhaust not a $7000 premium item. The UK importer has made a reasonable effort, however the second installer in Norfolk who is also the UK AC Schnitzer importer, wedged items in the standard exhaust rubbers as a 'solution' without bothering to tell me and then acted as if the 'solution' (which did not even work) was adequate. A fairly typical UK service experience which is oriented around the customer is always wrong approach.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #16
wabbit
wabbit!
Mexico
25

 
wabbit's Avatar
 
Drives: ///1M
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mexico


Posts: 225
iTrader: (1)

wow! , thanks now i know i'm not the only one, but that only makes me feel sadder just because of the price we paid for it, think it's not fair and akra should help us to solve this little but annoying issues, so I think i'll send them the video asking for a solution, what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
GTR_Steve
Private
United Kingdom
8

 
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Norwich, Norfolk UK


Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

I would say yes, do contact them. The effects of the valve closing when vacuum is established can be heard but there is something else there. Either the valve is chattering or a joint is leaking I would say.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
bklounge
Second Lieutenant
Canada
15

 
bklounge's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: the D flo


Posts: 256
iTrader: (2)

Do you have a clear picture of the alignment issue? My tips (ti, not cf) are also close to the diffuser, but there seems to be enough clearance.

Regarding the install, I DIY'd my evo install, and the midpipe did not align with the stock dp. I had to muscle it on, which DID NOT impress me. Because of the poor alignment, I also had to muscle the midpipe clamp on. So there's definitely strain in this portion of the exhaust. Considering the price, this is unacceptable.

I opted to skip the wireless kit - I filed off the plug, so "the valve" is always open. I love love love the sound of this exhaust, so I'd do it all again, but the alignment issues are slightly disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #19
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
99

 
///M1's Avatar
 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 212/305


Posts: 3,090
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklounge View Post
Do you have a clear picture of the alignment issue? My tips (ti, not cf) are also close to the diffuser, but there seems to be enough clearance.

Regarding the install, I DIY'd my evo install, and the midpipe did not align with the stock dp. I had to muscle it on, which DID NOT impress me. Because of the poor alignment, I also had to muscle the midpipe clamp on. So there's definitely strain in this portion of the exhaust. Considering the price, this is unacceptable.

I opted to skip the wireless kit - I filed off the plug, so "the valve" is always open. I love love love the sound of this exhaust, so I'd do it all again, but the alignment issues are slightly disappointing.
Agree on the intoxicating sound, and disappointing alignment issues. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. On my setup at least, the passenger side tips are much closer to the inward part of the diffuser (i.e. aligned more towards the driver's side of the car). While the inner passenger side tip doesn't directly touch the diffuser, it is too close for comfort. Funny thing is, if you push the diffuser inward with your finger just a smudge, clearance is much better (as basically the lower part of the diffuser is free standing). I am tempted by the Revozport diffuser with lower 'pan', but not sure if this will cure the problem with the alignment or only exacerbate it...
__________________
2011 BMW E82 1///M: AW, ZPP+ZCV, HK, Apps; Akra CF+Valve control, MadDad mids, K&N, Forge FMIC, P3gauge, EuroTails, Tint, CF Mirrors+Spoiler+Roof+RevoZ diffuser, 10mm H&R, IND grills+gills, xCDV, LUX AE
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Interior, Premium+Titanium Package, EPL Tune, Stasis Ohlins MS coilovers, Milltek valved exhaust+DownPipes, Alcon BBK, Tint, ADR V1, Lidatek, Lamin-X, Strasse Forged SM7 3-piece concave wheels, 275/30/19 PSSs, Euro flat-bottom steering wheel, JHM SSK
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
137

 
sparoz's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast


Posts: 4,844
iTrader: (0)

How many people have the alignment problem?

I was going to get the akra once I have found some spare time, but this alignment issue is concerning.
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #21
Papethova
Brigadier General
109

 
Papethova's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127


Posts: 3,037
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
How many people have the alignment problem?

I was going to get the akra once I have found some spare time, but this alignment issue is concerning.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #22
Tigumz
Private First Class
United_States
3

 
Drives: 1M,VO; F10M5; Others
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SW Ohio


Posts: 166
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 Lotus Exige S  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 1M  [0.00]
Can anyone confirm alignment issues with *complete*(downpipe on back) Akra system?
Maybe I missed it in reading through the threads, but just trying to narrow down the problem. (My system is in a box in my garage waiting for install!)
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST