BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
47
Rep
3,089
Posts

Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Higher than usual RPM at idle

My car usually idles around 600rpm. Today I noticed that at the lights, the RPM will fluctuate slightly and end up around 800rpm. Enough of a difference for me to notice the increased noise and vibration. Obviously this isn't something normal.

Thoughts?
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
47
Rep
3,089
Posts

Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

I guess I'm gonna have to check for vacuum leaks tomorrow. When I restart the car, idle will resit at 600rpm but after driving it for a bit it'll go back up to 800.
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Pixer14
Private First Class
Pixer14's Avatar
2
Rep
123
Posts

Drives: 135i N54
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
I guess I'm gonna have to check for vacuum leaks tomorrow. When I restart the car, idle will resit at 600rpm but after driving it for a bit it'll go back up to 800.

It's normal bro, stop stressing!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
kmli5
Private First Class
kmli5's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: BMW 130i & Ducati Monster 696
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

My 130i does that occasionally as well. Like 3-4 times in the last 7 months. Doesn't seem to be something wrong.
__________________
05 BMW 130i M Sport | 6MT | BMWP Exhaust | SSK | BMWP BBK | 18" Matte Black GT-CX | Black Grilles | Bilstein B14 | CDV | Quaife LSD | H&R Sway Bars | Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Mechz
Naturally Aspirated Fiend
1
Rep
153
Posts

Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

It will fluctuate depending on the alternator and air-con.

Anything under 1200 is normal depending on the outside temp.
__________________
'06 130i M Sport Hatch
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Eddie135
N55 Commando
Eddie135's Avatar
Australia
12
Rep
758
Posts

Drives: 135i - DCT - N55
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to Eddie135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechz View Post
It will fluctuate depending on the alternator and air-con.

Anything under 1200 is normal depending on the outside temp.
Mine's same too with air-con on
rpm will pull up to about 800 ish and drops back to 650.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
47
Rep
3,089
Posts

Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by avecta View Post
It's normal bro, stop stressing!
Haha man with all the little things that happen with this car, I'm always wary of any changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmli5 View Post
My 130i does that occasionally as well. Like 3-4 times in the last 7 months. Doesn't seem to be something wrong.
Does it always return to your normal idle RPM after a while?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechz View Post
It will fluctuate depending on the alternator and air-con.

Anything under 1200 is normal depending on the outside temp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie135 View Post
Mine's same too with air-con on
rpm will pull up to about 800 ish and drops back to 650.
Yeh I made sure everything was off and it was doing it, but it WAS extra cold yesterday.
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 04:29 AM   #8
TheRuss
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
6
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West, UK

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've noticed my car doing this recently as well... it usually idles at 600rpm, but in the last week or two I've noticed it idling at 800rpms.

Today on the way to work it was at 800rpms (as it usually is at the moment) and then in traffic fell to 600rpms at one point until I next nudged the car forward in traffic a bit, then it sat at 800rpms again.

Does anyone know why it does this? To confirm - A/C was NOT on at the time. Neither were any electronics except the radio and fan blower on minimum setting. (No heated seats or rear windscreen or headlights/sidelights/wipers etc were on.)

Could it be that my battery is getting low and the car is trying to put extra charge into it? Or could it just be the cold weather? It was just below freezing today... (Car idles at 800rpms even when it's almost at full operating temp though.)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
901
Rep
17,130
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've noticed my car doing this recently as well... it usually idles at 600rpm, but in the last week or two I've noticed it idling at 800rpms.

Today on the way to work it was at 800rpms (as it usually is at the moment) and then in traffic fell to 600rpms at one point until I next nudged the car forward in traffic a bit, then it sat at 800rpms again.

Does anyone know why it does this? To confirm - A/C was NOT on at the time. Neither were any electronics except the radio and fan blower on minimum setting. (No heated seats or rear windscreen or headlights/sidelights/wipers etc were on.)

Could it be that my battery is getting low and the car is trying to put extra charge into it? Or could it just be the cold weather? It was just below freezing today... (Car idles at 800rpms even when it's almost at full operating temp though.)

I bet you have DCT, right? There is a SW update to fix idle issues and trans gear selection issues for the DCT.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 05:34 AM   #10
TheRuss
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
6
Rep
397
Posts

Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South West, UK

iTrader: (0)

Nope, 6MT with an N54...

Oh, and car was in neutral with foot off the clutch, parking brake on.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST