BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
mangledlftthumb
Private
 
Drives: AW 1M (162 of 220)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 51
iTrader: (0)

oil level down a bit

Hi,

I've got ~15K kms (10k mi) on the car w/ the next scheduled visit in December. Last week, on the ride in to work, I noticed the oil level was down a bit. If the MIN mark = 0% and the MAX mark = 100%, the level's at ~80% (so down 20%). iDrive reports engine oil level as "OK". I've checked a couple times since and it's holding there. Note: the car was at 100% 'til now.
So the question is, should I bother to top it off (and if so w/ what - e.g. BMW synth 5W-30??) or wait 'til the regularly scheduled time (when they'll do all of that and more). I continue to monitor it either way.

Thanks,
--Antonio
mangledlftthumb is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
nachob
Major
 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

Posts: 1,176
iTrader: (3)

It's regular BMW synth 5w 30. I would top it off at the dealer the first time so they can show you how much to add since there is no "@$)( dipstick. Yes it can tell you to add a quart but the guys that deal with it can share insights. On a different note, 15k miles is a looooooong time. You are probably the only one waiting that long. Remember it's 15k miles OR 1 year for free change in us. If a year has gone by just change it now IMO. This car has TWO turbos cooking the oil in the bearings. If you can't find BMW oil, Castrol long life syntec 5w-30 should work also. Good luck.
nachob is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
Em/1
First Lieutenant
 
Em/1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
It's regular BMW synth 5w 30. I would top it off at the dealer the first time so they can show you how much to add since there is no "@$)( dipstick. Yes it can tell you to add a quart but the guys that deal with it can share insights. On a different note, 15k miles is a looooooong time. You are probably the only one waiting that long. Remember it's 15k miles OR 1 year for free change in us. If a year has gone by just change it now IMO. This car has TWO turbos cooking the oil in the bearings. If you can't find BMW oil, Castrol long life syntec 5w-30 should work also. Good luck.
Agree, but he has "only" 9000 miles on the care and probably only 7800 on this oil...Good time to change!
Em/1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
octainejunkee
Private First Class
 
octainejunkee's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2012 1m 454/530 BHP/LBFT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: gatwick

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

mine seems to use a litre roughly every 3000miles,
ive done four bottles of oil in 15,000miles lol
octainejunkee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
greygoose
Private
 
greygoose's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Mine was down to the halfway mark when I changed the oil after a year (14,500 miles). A litre every 3,000 miles sounds like a lot.
greygoose is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
octainejunkee
Private First Class
 
octainejunkee's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2012 1m 454/530 BHP/LBFT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: gatwick

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

i always drive slow until the oil gets upto 100c, oil never goes over the 125c, i don t hit the limiter or anything and it doesnt leak or smoke so im not sure why it uses so much either?
octainejunkee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Romo
Captain
 
Romo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M, HP4 Competition
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Netherlands

Posts: 880
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangledlftthumb View Post
Hi,

I've got ~15K kms (10k mi) on the car w/ the next scheduled visit in December. Last week, on the ride in to work, I noticed the oil level was down a bit. If the MIN mark = 0% and the MAX mark = 100%, the level's at ~80% (so down 20%). iDrive reports engine oil level as "OK". I've checked a couple times since and it's holding there. Note: the car was at 100% 'til now.
So the question is, should I bother to top it off (and if so w/ what - e.g. BMW synth 5W-30??) or wait 'til the regularly scheduled time (when they'll do all of that and more). I continue to monitor it either way.

Thanks,
--Antonio

No, don`t bother to top it off..........the system tells you the level is whit in save margins (OK=OK !), also the system tells you when to add oil and in what amount.
If the level is low a yellow oil warning light will light up, it warns you you to add some oil ( most cases 1Liter), the I drive will show it also on screen.

Constantly monitoring is what the system will do automatically, you just drive and enjoy the ride..........
Romo is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tybee Island, Georgia

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

I changed mine at the 1200 mile run-in service. Since then, after driving the next 3800 miles (a total of 5,000) I got the warning light saying I needed to add a quart.
1978.530i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Lieutenant
 
Drives: Valencia Orange 1-Series M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

Posts: 535
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978.530i View Post
I changed mine at the 1200 mile run-in service. Since then, after driving the next 3800 miles (a total of 5,000) I got the warning light saying I needed to add a quart.
The same thing happened to me. I had to add a quart within 2-3 k of my run-in service.

I then changed the oil at 6000 miles and have gone 3000 since then with a lot of spirited driving and two autocrosses. It is just now getting to be 1/2 quart low. I probably will change the oil again before I need to add any.
CarJunkie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
edwardio
Second Lieutenant
 
edwardio's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M COUPE
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: uk

Posts: 296
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by octainejunkee View Post
mine seems to use a litre roughly every 3000miles,
ive done four bottles of oil in 15,000miles lol
Same as that :-)
edwardio is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
The same thing happened to me. I had to add a quart within 2-3 k of my run-in service.

I then changed the oil at 6000 miles and have gone 3000 since then with a lot of spirited driving and two autocrosses. It is just now getting to be 1/2 quart low. I probably will change the oil again before I need to add any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardio View Post
Same as that :-)
I believe its been well established and exhausted by now that for some of us our engines consume a bit more oil than others. Nothing to worry about, top it off and enjoy the ride!!!
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Tybee Island, Georgia

Posts: 319
iTrader: (0)

I now understand why my exhaust tips are black!
1978.530i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,127
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
I believe its been well established and exhausted by now that for some of us our engines consume a bit more oil than others. Nothing to worry about, top it off and enjoy the ride!!!

I think it also really depends on how you drive. If you are really driving hard and on boost all the time... you'll go thru more oil than just cruising around at speed. At least that is what I have noticed when driving on the Autobahn. Also the longer you go with OCI... the more chance there is to go thru some oil. I think this is due to oil dilution with D.I. fuel injection. That is why I change my oil more often that BMW says too.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
octainejunkee
Private First Class
 
octainejunkee's Avatar
 
Drives: black 2012 1m 454/530 BHP/LBFT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: gatwick

Posts: 175
iTrader: (0)

think im going to change my oil every 6000 from now on.
it doesnt feel right leaving it so long.
octainejunkee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
firechicken99
Major
 
Drives: Black '07 335i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 1,032
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I think it also really depends on how you drive. If you are really driving hard and on boost all the time... you'll go thru more oil than just cruising around at speed. At least that is what I have noticed when driving on the Autobahn. Also the longer you go with OCI... the more chance there is to go thru some oil. I think this is due to oil dilution with D.I. fuel injection. That is why I change my oil more often that BMW says too.
I change mine approximately every 3k-5k miles or 3 months. I work out of state so its become a "weekend" car if im even so lucky to take it out, and I choose to drive my car more aggressively (HPDE's, AutoX, "spirited" street drives )so personally, the $70 is worth the piece of mind
firechicken99 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
vito747
Private
 
Drives: 1 coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hack the threat but, is 5-30 better or 0-40??? both are approved and from my point of view 0-40 canīt be worst so has to be better... what do you think?
vito747 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,842
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito747 View Post
Sorry to hack the threat but, is 5-30 better or 0-40??? both are approved and from my point of view 0-40 canīt be worst so has to be better... what do you think?
They are both approved oils, together with 0-30 if i remember correctly (check the manual), this means that you can safely try any of them and see which one fits your driving/car better. The car comes from the factory with 5-30 but here in Chile we have only Mobil 1 0-40 as BMW approved oils (LL-1) easily available and after the first oil change I found the car function and stay in optimum temperature better with the 0-40, not worse. Like I said as long as it is a LL-1 oil just go ahead and try any of them, there is no absolute better in this, at least not for every type of climate.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
vito747
Private
 
Drives: 1 coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
They are both approved oils, together with 0-30 if i remember correctly (check the manual), this means that you can safely try any of them and see which one fits your driving/car better. The car comes from the factory with 5-30 but here in Chile we have only Mobil 1 0-40 as BMW approved oils (LL-1) easily available and after the first oil change I found the car function and stay in optimum temperature better with the 0-40, not worse. Like I said as long as it is a LL-1 oil just go ahead and try any of them, there is no absolute better in this, at least not for every type of climate.
Thnks! here in spain we have castrol 5-30 and 0-40 but now some dealers are using SHELL which I donīt like... Mobil 1 or Castrol are my preferred brands
vito747 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
ozinaldo
Colonel
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 2,842
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito747 View Post
Thnks! here in spain we have castrol 5-30 and 0-40 but now some dealers are using SHELL which I donīt like... Mobil 1 or Castrol are my preferred brands
You better check if the oil you will use actually has LL-1 (long life) rating that makes it BMW approved, for example not every 0-40 has that rating and therefore not BMW approved. Maybe not a huge issue but if you want to stay safe you need to check that. I would go with Castrol brand myself if it would be available here but Mobil 1 is all we got and that's doing the job.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
Shaunski
New Member
 
Shaunski's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1 Series M Coupe (VO)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

I had a similar issue with the display saying that the oil was below minimum. I spoke to the Service guys and minimum is actually at 5L of oil with 6L as max. Hope that helps
Shaunski is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #21
ayao
Thread killer
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 532
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
You better check if the oil you will use actually has LL-1 (long life) rating that makes it BMW approved, for example not every 0-40 has that rating and therefore not BMW approved. Maybe not a huge issue but if you want to stay safe you need to check that. I would go with Castrol brand myself if it would be available here but Mobil 1 is all we got and that's doing the job.
Only caveat here is that I think that LL-4 is used for the low-sulfur fuel utilized in Europe ... Everywhere else is high-sulfur content fuel and LL-01 engine oil.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541486
ayao is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,127
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunski View Post
I had a similar issue with the display saying that the oil was below minimum. I spoke to the Service guys and minimum is actually at 5L of oil with 6L as max. Hope that helps
You know that the N54/N55 engine holds 6.5L of oil.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST